PDA

View Full Version : ZT CDTi Saloon Exhaust

T16
22nd November 2011, 08:14
Hi,

What are people doing with corroded back boxes?

I hear that you cannot get the diesel ones from Xpart any more..

Is this true?

AngryDog
22nd November 2011, 08:38
I'm going to replace mine with a cat back stainless system.

I think you can get pattern parts - got quoted £276 the other day - or £299 for a stainless..

kissifer1972
22nd November 2011, 09:14
If you do a search on Google (other search engines are available) you will find a good supply of back boxes are available, at various costs to the pocket.

Here's one I found http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=114090

Chris

rovexCDTi
22nd November 2011, 09:35
www.buypartsby.com

They do a Rover 75 diesel backbox (fits the ZT its the same), for £45+VAT

kissifer1972
22nd November 2011, 09:37
www.buypartsby.com (http://www.buypartsby.com)

They do a Rover 75 diesel backbox (fits the ZT its the same), for £45+VAT
They're not exactly the same - the pipes at the rear are different - bent down on the 75 to go behind the bumper - straight on the ZT to through the cut out in the bumper

SD1too
22nd November 2011, 09:50
What are people doing with corroded back boxes?
Remember that the rear silencer has a double skin. Corrosion of the outer layer is cosmetic and will last several years until the inner skin fails. Only then is replacement necessary.

Simon.

T16
22nd November 2011, 10:35
ok let me see if I have this right..

The OE MG Rover exhaust is one long piece including the backbox, from the cat back?

So you can either replace everything from the cat back, or cut the back box off and fit a new box only with some sort of slip joint?

How come X-part stopped making them then?

SD1too
22nd November 2011, 10:40
The OE MG Rover exhaust is one long piece including the backbox, from the cat back?
So you can either replace everything from the cat back, or cut the back box off and fit a new box only with some sort of slip joint?
Correct.

Simon.

T16
22nd November 2011, 10:43
Did they ever do an X-Power one like on the 260?

AngryDog
22nd November 2011, 10:45

How come X-part stopped making them then?

this is how pretty much all exhaust systems are now. You initially cut off the defective part and then replace that part with a pattern part generally.

I got a price from online automotive - £276 lol.

I still think a stainless is the way to go imo, just looks so much nicer too!

chipsceola
22nd November 2011, 11:00
They're not exactly the same - the pipes at the rear are different - bent down on the 75 to go behind the bumper - straight on the ZT to through the cut out in the bumper
What you say is true, they are different, but I bought from OnlineAutomative and the back box was same shape/size apart from the tailpipes being straight, and, it fitted onto my R75 1.8T Tourer without cutting rear bumper, so only obvious difference is tailpipes are no longer concealed. Note, no vibration or problems since fitted several weeks ago.
Chips

PS. Explanation? I can only assume because the rear strap is replaced by a built in 'hanger' fitting directly to the rubber support (WCS100212 (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-WCS100212)) and the unit was specified to fit the 1.8T Rover 75 Tourer, that the length of the hanger is different on back boxes supplied for 75/ZT and perhaps other engine variants.

rovexCDTi
22nd November 2011, 11:48
If the difference is £200 id fit a 75 one since my ZT one drops down at the end as well. If it was that bad id just cut the tip off and fit an aftermarket tip.

chipsceola
22nd November 2011, 13:49
If the difference is £200 id fit a 75 one since my ZT one drops down at the end as well. If it was that bad id just cut the tip off and fit an aftermarket tip.
See post #11, the one I bought cost around £79.00 and was a direct swap, hacksawed off the original (cut 1) measured up using new back box as a guide then made cut 2, fitted with new exhaust clamp and job done. No need to shorten tailpipes as they were low enough to clear the rear bumper again without cutting anything.
Chips

Bigcul1
22nd November 2011, 14:23
my ZT CDTI also has downward facing outlet pipes. Never seen a ZT with straight outlets except those with stainless steel.

Edit: Just looked on autotrader and all the ZT CDTI's have down face pipes

tdi90
22nd November 2011, 16:24
My 03 plate ZT CDTI has straight pipes on std rear box.

I need to change it as its blowing :o

Another quick question, would a blowing back box reduce power on a derv?
When the box went (completely snapped) on my TDi 90 bhp Galaxy, there was no difference in noise or performance, but on the ZT you can quite clearly hear its blowing.

Brabus
22nd November 2011, 16:31
I needed a back box for my ZT,could not get one anywhere.Had to by a 75 diesel one.Pipes are a bit short but will do for now.Looks like it will have to be a S/Steel one when I have spare funds,

Jakg
22nd November 2011, 17:29
All 75 / ZT diesels exhaust points downward, but on the ZT the tips come through the bumper, whereas on a 75 they stop well before the bumper.

rovexCDTi
22nd November 2011, 18:13
It would still do for that price! As i said i could always tack on a longer pipe if it was too bad.

T16
22nd November 2011, 18:23
All 75 / ZT diesels exhaust points downward, but on the ZT the tips come through the bumper, whereas on a 75 they stop well before the bumper.

Correct.

This is what I discovered today...

The box is the same, but on the 75, the little twin pipes come out and curve down straight away. On the ZT, the twin pipes are longer, and are straight so they stick out past the bumper, then bend down.

Tell you what... Could we change the title of the thread maybe to "show us your CDTi Exhaust pics!" ??

It would be cool so see what backboxes/exhausts everyone has gone for.

Have any of the stainless ones given an increase in mpg or power?

Cheers for all the helpful replies thus far.

garysnr
23rd March 2012, 13:40
Remember that the rear silencer has a double skin. Corrosion of the outer layer is cosmetic and will last several years until the inner skin fails. Only then is replacement necessary.

Simon.
Hi simon will it pass mot with the outer skin corroded?

thx gaz

denis
23rd March 2012, 15:12
If you go for doing the job yourself and cut the back section off (the new part will dictate where you cut it) then you need a special clamp/sleeve to close the joint. There are probably universal ones around but the OEM parts are part no WYE100350 for the 55mm and WYE100360 for the 60mm version. I can only tell you that the diesel takes the 55mm version. You'll have to check the rest. :smilie_re::D

SD1too
23rd March 2012, 21:58
Hi simon will it pass mot with the outer skin corroded?
Gaz,

Mine did, for several years. The MOT tester said that it only fails if there's a leak of exhaust gases, but plain old rust is o.k.

Simon.

ChB
23rd November 2012, 10:08
Hi guys,

the exhaust clamp on my ZT-T 190 has gone (dunno why and where).
:shrug:

As I am not willing to pay 40+ quid for an original WYE100360, can somebody please tell me the measurements of it, so I can look for an aftermarket part. It states 60mm in Rimmer's catalogue but no lenght and I am not quite sure if 60mm is the inner diameter of the clamp or the diameter of the exhaust pipe.

Please :bowdown:

Robson Rover Repair
23rd November 2012, 12:21
If its just a clamp your local exhaust dealer will sort you out for less than the price of your part!