PDA

View Full Version : autobox 3 speed, no reverse help please

luke
22nd November 2011, 20:40
The old fella up the hill has asked if I'd help him out with his W reg 2.0 auto. He says it's only had 1,2,3, gear for the last while (he was a bit vague as to how long) and now it's lost reverse so he's putting his faith in me. I'm fairly handy with the spanners but know very little about autoboxes. (This is likely to be his "last" car and I doubt there's much in the pension book for another or even a recon box)
Having searched the site does this sound like a solinoid pack?
Where are they, how do I test and where do i source replacements. (saw a link for a "muddyoval" landy site but it didnt work.
Thanks guys, do what you can
cheers Luke

Matt1960
22nd November 2011, 22:21
Sounds more like the reverse piston has a crack in it, which is a fairly common fault and is just possible to repair in situ.
If you search the forum you should find some info and advice.

The solenoids are easy to test from the gearbox connector but a failure does not normally give the symptoms described. But most solenoids are available from Landrover.

Matt

chrissyboy
23rd November 2011, 11:11
low or contaminated fluid .when was the fluid last changed ..

luke
23rd November 2011, 13:31
will check fluid level. Top up is done behind the pedal?
This then poses the next question....where did the fluid go...?
Will have a look tonight.
If not looks like it I'll have to have another look for solinoid test info, unless anyone else has other ideas
Thanks guys.

chrissyboy
23rd November 2011, 14:23
will check fluid level. Top up is done behind the pedal?
This then poses the next question....where did the fluid go...?
Will have a look tonight.
If not looks like it I'll have to have another look for solinoid test info, unless anyone else has other ideas
Thanks guys.

not wanting to offend you ,but if you think the gearbox top up plug is behind the pedal then i suggest you leave the car alone ... these boxes need to be dealt with and filled the right way or it will lead to the break down of the gear box .. also there is a plug on the box that MUST not be touched ..... wurzeck knows alotabout these gearboxs ,why not send him a pm incase he dont see this thread .... also marinabrian ,im sure there are other members ust as gifted on these boxes but i cant think of anyone other names ...

stocktake
23rd November 2011, 14:41
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=586577&postcount=33

reverse piston replacement link, not for the feint hearted

luke
23rd November 2011, 18:45
Cheers fellas no offence taken, I had been scanning a million posts and had been reading about clutch master/slave cylinder failures and topping up fluid for MANUAL boxes (did say I was an autobox virgin!!!) (done behind clutch pedal as that's where the fluid reservoir is ?) and in taking in all the new info had, of course, forgotten that there will be no clutch master cylinder cos it's an AUTO !!!! doh!!!!
Just panicing a bit due to the faith the old boy is putting in me. Did see the post Re 19mm torx bolt that is NEVER to be undone.
Thanks for all the info so far. will continue to read up and have a poke at it in daylight this weekend but any more thoughts welcome

Ta

luke
23rd November 2011, 18:54
Great guide there, thanks for that. now off to try and find the one for the solinoids.

stocktake
23rd November 2011, 19:35
Great guide there, thanks for that. now off to try and find the one for the solinoids.

Found anything yet ;) :D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=613725&postcount=5

luke
24th November 2011, 06:41
yep, that's the one! saved in the favourites:D