PDA

View Full Version : steering column bearings

paras659
23rd November 2011, 20:20
hi can anyone shed some light on changing the bearings in the steering column my top bearing has slight movement mot not till nxxt summer but would like it right any advice welcome never done these on these cars mk...

3disco
24th November 2011, 17:23
hi can anyone shed some light on changing the bearings in the steering column my top bearing has slight movement mot not till nxxt summer but would like it right any advice welcome never done these on these cars mk...
Can nobody help this man?(mine has play to):}

paras659
24th November 2011, 18:08
guess everyone must have puurfect steering:confused:

tsautos
24th November 2011, 18:40
The most common fault with columns is the adjuster mechanism showing movement often mis diagnosed as bearing faults or play, tighten the 13mm a/f nut on the adjuster mechanism.

paras659
24th November 2011, 19:12
thanks for that will give it a try most appreciated mk...

Snagger
24th November 2011, 19:38
The most common fault with columns is the adjuster mechanism showing movement often mis diagnosed as bearing faults or play, tighten the 13mm a/f nut on the adjuster mechanism.

Be careful not to over tighten it too, or you may find you cannot unlock, or re-lock the column without breaking the cam lever which you not want to do.

Just tighten it enough so you can, slide the wheel back and forth to different positions and clamp and un clamp it easily without having to use excessive force.

Snagger.