PDA

View Full Version : Which DVB-T Box?

DJK
24th November 2011, 15:39
Now that my DD unit is in and almost fully functional, just got the steering wheel controls to sort out. Thoughts are turning to installing a TV tuner.

It would be good to know what experience any one has regarding the benefit of a twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver over a single antenna unit.

I know the theory about two antennas being better than one and setting one in a horizontal plane and the other vertical and all that, what I'm looking for is real piratical experience.

The twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver units are about 30/50% more expensive than the single units and I'm trying to understand if the extra expense is worth it?

Again I know a lot depends on signal strength, location etc, but if anyone has experience of using both in a comparable situation I'd appreciate the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

Thanks
David

StuBlake13
1st December 2011, 10:13
Now that my DD unit is in and almost fully functional, just got the steering wheel controls to sort out. Thoughts are turning to installing a TV tuner.

It would be good to know what experience any one has regarding the benefit of a twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver over a single antenna unit.

I know the theory about two antennas being better than one and setting one in a horizontal plane and the other vertical and all that, what I'm looking for is real piratical experience.

The twin diversity dual antenna input digital TV tuner/receiver units are about 30/50% more expensive than the single units and I'm trying to understand if the extra expense is worth it?

Again I know a lot depends on signal strength, location etc, but if anyone has experience of using both in a comparable situation I'd appreciate the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

Thanks
David

lOl I'll let you know when I finally manage to get either powered up my car. I'm having fun playing hunt the switched live and how best to patch it in using either crimp connectors, scotchloks or soldering...lol

HarryM1BYT
1st December 2011, 11:47

If you looking at Sean's two TV receivers - I have the more expensive one fitted, in my ex- Hi-line car and working off the two built-in Rover TV antennas.

My TV reception is absolutely great in the car. It is rock solid with my car parked in the drive alongside the house, probably better than my house reception and definately much better than my caravan's reception which is also parked in the drive and with its antenna several feet higher than the car.

I don't think it is all just down to the fact that it has two antenna inputs, because it works just as well in the above circumstances, when either of the two antennas is unplugged. My guess therefore has to be that it is a very sensitive receiver.

Also keep in mind, that the Hi-line's rear screen antenna amp expect its 12v supply to be fed up the coax from the receiver, rather than via a separate 12v cable, the cheaper unit cannot do this - so the built-in antennas cannot be used at all with the cheaper unit. The only issue I found, was that the plug ends on the two antennas need to be cut off and the appropriate F-plugs fitted, I documented all of this some months ago.

So I would say definately worth the extra cost and especially so if you have the built-in twin antennas.