PDA

View Full Version : TV drain on battery?

VVC-Geeza
26th November 2011, 22:56
How much of a drain on the battery is the DVB TV without the engine running?

Would it flat the battery if i were to say watch a 2 hour footy match with the ign in the aux position?

DJK
27th November 2011, 00:06
The answer is, it depends on;

The condition and state of charge of your battery
The load drawn by the head unit + DVB-T unit + any power drawn by the antenna(s)

A 4W DVB-T unit will draw around 330mA, your head uit can be anything up t 5/7A and if you allow for a small load for powered antenna you should have somewhere between a 6 and 8 Amp load, over 2 hours with some contingency I'd allow for a total load of 20Ah.

Your battery, new and fully charged, has a capacity between 700 and 800 Ah so allowing for say a 20/30% loss in capacity through sulphation because of age and general state of discharge then your nominal battery capacity would be say 500aH worst case, hence a 20Ah would be less than 5% of its capacity.

This is not allowing for any other drain imposed such as the gauges etc which are on when the switch is at II.

Which is a long way about to say, yes it should be OK.

David

VVC-Geeza
27th November 2011, 12:41
Thank you

My battery is in good condition so should have plenty in reserve then :)

picky747
27th November 2011, 12:59
This time of year you will probably have the engine running for the heater to work!

HarryM1BYT
27th November 2011, 14:21
The answer is, it depends on;

The condition and state of charge of your battery
The load drawn by the head unit + DVB-T unit + any power drawn by the antenna(s)

A 4W DVB-T unit will draw around 330mA, your head uit can be anything up t 5/7A and if you allow for a small load for powered antenna you should have somewhere between a 6 and 8 Amp load, over 2 hours with some contingency I'd allow for a total load of 20Ah.

Your battery, new and fully charged, has a capacity between 700 and 800 Ah so allowing for say a 20/30% loss in capacity through sulphation because of age and general state of discharge then your nominal battery capacity would be say 500aH worst case, hence a 20Ah would be less than 5% of its capacity.

This is not allowing for any other drain imposed such as the gauges etc which are on when the switch is at II.

Which is a long way about to say, yes it should be OK.

David

Your battery amp/hour capacity would seem to have gained an extra zero on the end. The capacities are usually between 70 to 80 amp/hour.

petergw60
27th November 2011, 16:57
Your battery amp/hour capacity would seem to have gained an extra zero on the end. The capacities are usually between 70 to 80 amp/hour.

I agree, normal max capacity would be in the region of 80 to 100Ah.
I think the 700 to 800Ah is really the cranking amps - which is just short term capacity.

suffolk boy
27th November 2011, 18:43
the last demo of these units i witnessed at clumber park which involved just turning it on and going through the options the battery lasted oh all of twenty minutes

DJK
27th November 2011, 18:54
Ops.... Your right, must try harder.....

Mind working in Cold Cranking Amps not Ah....

Must try harder.