PDA

View Full Version : Last chance Garage Trip for my 1.8 Conn 2001

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 19:23
So, as per my Previous threads, my "Ole' Bluey" is going into the Garage for a last chance repair on Monday 01st October.

This is the Sixth time since July with the same problem :(

Basically the Car has been Misfiring, Hesitating and there is an annoying tapping / Ticking / Clicking noise from the engine which is intermittent.

So, time again to pluck some minds here :p:

The Ticking noise is intermittent, it either ticks or it doesnt. If you start the car up and it does not tick, it will not until you stop and then restart the engine and vice versa.

I have been told this is a Valve lifter sound, however.......If there was wear in the Lifters, would that not be evident all the time as the wear is a permanent (until fixed) problem?

Could this ticking noise be the Injectors?

Could it be that the Problem with the Hesitation is a sticking Valve?

There is no visible Smoke etc from the Exhaust

My Wife took the Car on the Motorway and it was hesitating and misfiring and this only stopped at and above 85Mph ??

So........looks like ole' bluey may be getting replaced :(

Phil
23rd September 2007, 19:37
How noisey is it? Can you hear it inside the car?

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 19:42
How noisey is it? Can you hear it inside the car?

Hi Phil.........It is Fairly noisy and you can just about hear it in the car.

I just cannot see why a Valve Lifter would tap intermittently? unless it was sticking or something similar.

I am not overly mechanical (Yet !!) so am trying to explain things as technically as I can :)

Also there is a growly vibration sound when you accelarate from the Engine - Is that normal on the 1.8 Engine?

Phil
23rd September 2007, 19:49
The 1.8 is a little course when pushed, A hydraulic tappet will tap if the oil is contaminated or has low oil pressure. I did hear of a K series Metro that had 15w40 put in it accidentally when serviced and that apparantly misfired. I wonder if they have put incorrect oil in it? If the tappets are rattling then surely it would be worth changing the oil and giuving it a flush at the same time.

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 20:47
The 1.8 is a little course when pushed, A hydraulic tappet will tap if the oil is contaminated or has low oil pressure. I did hear of a K series Metro that had 15w40 put in it accidentally when serviced and that apparantly misfired. I wonder if they have put incorrect oil in it? If the tappets are rattling then surely it would be worth changing the oil and giuving it a flush at the same time.

Would that explain why the Misfiring / Hesitation is worse when the Engine is Hotter? If the Oil is incorrect then at higher Engine Temps the Oil is too thin?

Also the Car has previously and fairly recent(ish) had a new head Gasket...........could that add to this? perhaps if not cleaned proper after oil & Water Mixing?

Phil
23rd September 2007, 21:14
I would have thought that 15w40 being thicker the problems would be more pronounced when cold if that was what was causing it. Have you thought about contacting the previous owner?

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 21:26
I would have thought that 15w40 being thicker the problems would be more pronounced when cold if that was what was causing it. Have you thought about contacting the previous owner?

I could do, but whether they know anything or would admit to knowing anything ??

Phil
23rd September 2007, 21:36
I just thought they may have sold it for that reason and had the precise problem diagnosed and thought it too expensive and part ex'd it. Just thinking out loud to be honest.

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 21:50
I just thought they may have sold it for that reason and had the precise problem diagnosed and thought it too expensive and part ex'd it. Just thinking out loud to be honest.

That very thought has crossed my mind too :(

Phil
23rd September 2007, 21:55
Is it still under warranty?

carlpenn
23rd September 2007, 22:09
Is it still under warranty?

Yes, The Dealer has been exceptionally good over this problem and has already paid a large amount of money for Work done already.......This is why this time is a Last chance attempt as we have both come to a mutual agreement that it isnt financially viable to continue paying hence the Replacement (which will be another 75)

Its just a shame that my first and (very) long awaited 75 has proved to be a bit of a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- !!!!!

JohnDotCom
23rd September 2007, 23:10
Better to have one that you are happy with.
There were a few Friday Night ones Possibly built. LOL.

carlpenn
24th September 2007, 07:13
Better to have one that you are happy with.
There were a few Friday Night ones Possibly built. LOL.

This could very well be a Friday Night model.........:p:

If being replaced I may ask to see if we can go for a Diesel this time? There have been a few 2.0 CDT Conn SE's on Auto Trader for around the same Price as the one we paid for.

I don't mind which we have as long as I get to Germany in December !!! lol

Phil
3rd October 2007, 22:28
What was the out come?

Jamie
3rd October 2007, 22:54
This exact same problem occoured on my first 827 with the 2.7 honda engine...differnent engine but still hydraulic lifters....I inadvertantly changed the oil using 15.40 and it tapped away like a pig....and misfired....I couldnt fathom the problem untill the local Rover dealership told me to flush it out and refil with thinner oil...and it worked, the tapping stopped soon after as the lighter oil could reach the hydraulic lifters more readily and the car pulled better as the valves were now opening properly, its worth a try before you give up. drain and fill with lighter oil.

carlpenn
4th October 2007, 08:06
This exact same problem occoured on my first 827 with the 2.7 honda engine...differnent engine but still hydraulic lifters....I inadvertantly changed the oil using 15.40 and it tapped away like a pig....and misfired....I couldnt fathom the problem untill the local Rover dealership told me to flush it out and refil with thinner oil...and it worked, the tapping stopped soon after as the lighter oil could reach the hydraulic lifters more readily and the car pulled better as the valves were now opening properly, its worth a try before you give up. drain and fill with lighter oil.

The Garage have had the Car since Monday and are looking into it again. It is back at Endon Garage Services (as per the clubs listings)

I would recommend these guys to anyone as they have been really good and are very polite when you ring them etc. In fact, I stupidly left my house and work keys on my Key Fob and I rang to ask if they could do anything (The garage is 23 Miles from me and I have no car lol....) Anyway, they arrived next day in the Post !!! Now thats service !!!

I will ring them and suggest it - After all, it cannot hurt !!

Thanks for the Support. :)

Carl.

P.S. Just over 8 Weeks to go for my Germany Trip.......:p:

carlpenn
4th October 2007, 09:08
Just to follow on - The car had 10/40 Oil put in.

What Grade should it have ? I dont have my Handbook as it is in the Car.

:)

David3807
4th October 2007, 09:24
From my handbook all petrol 75's 10w/40

carlpenn
4th October 2007, 09:28
From my handbook all petrol 75's 10w/40

So that counts the Oil out.........lol.........

Thanks for looking :)

Fraser Mitchell
4th October 2007, 19:47
Indeed this is a bit of a puzzle because of the intermittent nature of the tapping. I am assuming the tapping is from the cylinder head area. You can listen by placing a long screw-driver against the cam cover near each valve and listen to the end of the screwdriver pressed against your ear, (this is an old mechanics trick). The valve compartment of a normal engine should sound like a well-oiled sewing machine, as the oil dampens the tappet noise if the clearances are OK.

What you seem to be describing is a bent valve, which, because it cannot return fully to the closed position, can result in a tapping noise from the tappet because of the increased clearance, (except that hydraulic tappets can mask this by taking up the clearance !!). Certainly a bent valve will cause irregular running and misfiring, but so do many other things.

I would get a compression test done to check all cylinders are OK and at the same compression. If one is low, then it's time to take the head off, I'm afraid.

Was plenty of oil used on the cams etc when the head was replaced after the HGF ? I bent a valve on a Jaguar after I replaced the head, because the head had been off for some time and there was no lube to the valve guides on start-up; Silly Me !!!

Worth a look, anyway

carlpenn
5th October 2007, 07:09
What was the out come?

Hi Phil

The Car is still with the Garage.

Will keep you updated :)

Spoke to Garage yesterday, they are going to change the Oil just as a precaution after I spoke to them regarding Peoples comments in previous posts.

Fraser Mitchell - If I recall correctly, the Compression was checked on the First Garage Trip as the Car had what was suspected to be a HG Failure.

So far the Car has had -

1. New Throttle Position Sensor
2. A "Remake of Connection to Throttle Pot"
3. Reset of the Fuel Parameters
4. New Crankshaft Sensor
5. New HT Leads
6. Throttle Position Sensor Reset
7. A Faulty Connection repaired by replacement of the Wire (Dont know what wire though)

Not in that order....... lol ...

Fraser Mitchell
5th October 2007, 19:24
The only thing is to try and find out the exact location on the engine where the noise comes from using the old screwdriver trick or a doctor's stethoscope.

It's the intermittent nature of the noise and bad running that makes this such a puzzle to sort out. However usually the sympton gets less and less interrmittent until it's there all the time, when the answer usually becomes obvious. But you don't want to wait that long, by the sound of it !!

The only things I can think of likely to cause this noise are: -

Tappets
little ends (gudgeon pins)
piston slap

tigerchubs
5th October 2007, 20:04
Around 10 years ago I was at a seminar given by Comma lubricants. One area which arose was the link between oil and the engine misfire. The link became common knowledge after a lot of Ford owners with Zetec engines began reporting persistant misfires. These were mainly on cars that were no longer dealer maintained. After a great many engines being dismantled it did indeed turned out to be the incorrect oils used. I have recently been reading an article in a trade mag that stated that most non dealer workshops still use the 2 most common grades of oil only. It went on to state that due to a lack of information from within, the industry actually don't fully understand the importance of using the correct lubricants on modern engines. The fact your garage has agreed to change the oil perhaps points toward this being a possiblity in your case.

carlpenn
13th October 2007, 23:43
Just a quick update.

Spoke to Garage today and they are aware of the problem still existing after they have taked it for several long runs.

Sadly, every time it got back to the Garage, they still got no Faults on Diagnostics. They have suggested replacing ECU and after the suggestion here of NOT doing so - I suggested ECU Doctor. They are quiet happy to do this and said they will whip out the ECU ready for us to send away :)

I am feeling quiet down at the moment, I havent had Ole Bluey for two weeks and as sad as it may sound, I really miss the Car :( (This is the Bit where you all go aaaaahhh !!! lol )

Our trip to Germany seems to be getting further away each day which is quiet upsetting as I had always wanted to do that and more so, do it in a Rover 75 :(

JohnDotCom
13th October 2007, 23:59
I really feel for you Carl with this Unusual never ending Problem.
I'm afraid it doesn't always say much if they are relying on Diagnostics to repair the fault or swapping out Probables.
The T4 can't monitor lots of things, the MAF for one thing on a Diesel.
I know it won't be yours, but I will dig out a Car Hire Company that does MGR ZT/75's if you like for your trip to Germany.
The ECU Doctor gets very good Feedback on here and If they can't repair ECU (if it is indeed faulty) they don't charge you.
Keep smiling. :D

Fraser Mitchell
14th October 2007, 19:43
I just had a thought that sometimes a spark escaping to earth can sound a lot like a mechanical ticking noise. Have you checked the plug coils to see if there are any untoward noises ? Looking after dark can sometimes show up these things. You will need the engine cover off, of course. Sparks going to earth would explain the bad running.

It's just a thought, of course. I don't think a diagnostic program would pick this up, as the coil would seem to be perfectly OK; the computer program cannot possibly look at the HT side of things, only LT.

The Bear
14th October 2007, 20:01
Where are you having her repaired carl.

carlpenn
14th October 2007, 20:41
Where are you having her repaired carl.

"Ole Bluey" is at Endons Garage Services in Stoke On Trent.

So far they have been great and a Courtesy Car was offered, however, Stupid me cannot find my Drivers License (Which I will have to replace before going to Germany !!) So cannot have a Courtesy Car......lol

Purely on just the basis of Customer Service I would recommend them to anyone, all their Staff have been exceptionally polite and always have had time to discuss things with me. Even when I probably sounded like a right old nutjob trying to explain a Technical thing with no Knowledge !!

I just noticed you are from Stoke On Trent............. lol ...........So you will know Endons?? Do you work there...................lol...........

carlpenn
14th October 2007, 20:44
I just had a thought that sometimes a spark escaping to earth can sound a lot like a mechanical ticking noise. Have you checked the plug coils to see if there are any untoward noises ? Looking after dark can sometimes show up these things. You will need the engine cover off, of course. Sparks going to earth would explain the bad running.

It's just a thought, of course. I don't think a diagnostic program would pick this up, as the coil would seem to be perfectly OK; the computer program cannot possibly look at the HT side of things, only LT.

Thanks for that. Would it be a loud noise? Could it generate heat as well, the Engine smelled Hot after a run, similar to the smell when you overheat your car, Not the Boiling water smell, but the Hot metal smell, The Temp Gauge always stayed at Running Temp.....?

GreyGhost
14th October 2007, 20:48
Is that the same smell you get from a cracked exhaust manifold. My petrol transit burnt a hole in it's exhaust manifold but was not apparent apart from the very hot smell due to it being under a heat shield. Very apparent once the shield was removed.

Keith
14th October 2007, 20:51

Oh yes it can ;)

carlpenn
14th October 2007, 20:54
I really feel for you Carl with this Unusual never ending Problem.
I'm afraid it doesn't always say much if they are relying on Diagnostics to repair the fault or swapping out Probables.
I know it won't be yours, but I will dig out a Car Hire Company that does MGR ZT/75's if you like for your trip to Germany.
The ECU Doctor gets very good Feedback on here and If they can't repair ECU (if it is indeed faulty) they don't charge you.
Keep smiling. :D

Thanks JDC :)

It is a shame to think that this Car could be sent to Scrap over something that could turn out to be something really daft !!

Thats life I suppose........lol

carlpenn
14th October 2007, 20:59
Is that the same smell you get from a cracked exhaust manifold. My petrol transit burnt a hole in it's exhaust manifold but was not apparent apart from the very hot smell due to it being under a heat shield. Very apparent once the shield was removed.

I have never had a Cracked Exhaust Manifold ?

It is a distinct smell...........I recall the Smell from my 214i just before the Head Gasket Melted.

When I drove 80 Miles up the M6 to my Parents, I opened the Bonnet and the Heat took your breathe away it was that bad - You could put your hand 3 inches above the Engine and it hurt...........also when I pulled up at home one night, again the heat and smell was apparent from the Drivers side where there is a gap between the Bonnet and windshield, you really could feel the heat drifting out............I appreciate that engines get hot, but this is not "Normal" Heat.........The smell again, is very distincive of Heated metal, slightly similar to that of Welded Metal but not as strong.

Actually...............Put a pan of Water on and let it boil dry..........Thats the Smell almost

JohnDotCom
14th October 2007, 20:59
Oh yes it can ;)

Couldn't on last Visit but with that new Info,
Nothing should stop you now. :D

The Bear
14th October 2007, 21:01
No but i had a 90k cam belt service done there earlier this year and a great job was done, and as you have already said very friendly.I think that this is down to the fact that it is a local family owned business which has been running for some years.

carlpenn
14th October 2007, 21:03
No but i had a 90k cam belt service done there earlier this year and a great job was done, and as you have already said very friendly.I think that this is down to the fact that it is a local family owned business which has been running for some years.

That would make sense. Clive is one of the friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. Very professional and yet very Casual at the same time - and I am sure they would probably have been driven insane by my constant waffling !!! lol .....

Simon
16th October 2007, 21:58
I'm plucking at straws here but is the engine burning too rich? How does your air intake look (is it clear and unblocked and filter in good condition?) This combined with a faulty (or misreading) airflow sensor could cause the engine to burn too rich and create the excess heat you are describing.

No idea how this could cause the ticking noise you describe though... :shrug:

As I say, I'm plucking at straws here so forgive my (sometimes limited) technical knowledge.... :o

carlpenn
16th October 2007, 22:31
I'm plucking at straws here but is the engine burning too rich? How does your air intake look (is it clear and unblocked and filter in good condition?) This combined with a faulty (or misreading) airflow sensor could cause the engine to burn too rich and create the excess heat you are describing.

No idea how this could cause the ticking noise you describe though... :shrug:

As I say, I'm plucking at straws here so forgive my (sometimes limited) technical knowledge.... :o

Thanks Simon D - I guess at this stage - We are all plucking at Straws !!

Should find out what the outcome is in the next 24 Hours........... :(

Chances are Ole Bluey is gonna be going away and a replacement found.

Thing is........This is gonna bug me forever now...........Once upon a time, if a Car drove like mine, you would pop down to your local Car Shop and buy a new set of points and perhaps a new Dizzy Cap............

ay lad........ Them wer't days..............by eck, a gallon of fuel wid last a wik and yu'd still b'able to buy a 4 pack of john smiths.,............an' tha' wud av t' set them points wiv a lil' spacer tool and a lorra patience........

carlpenn
16th October 2007, 22:47
Just out of Curiosity.........

Would this Car have Oxygen (or similar) Sensors on and if so would they contribute to this kind of problem?

Simon D actually started a train of Thought............;)

If the Car only plays up when the Engine is hot, then could faulty Oxygen Sensors be telling the ECU that the Car is getting too little or too much Oxygen when hot and then trying to compensate, the ECU either starves or overfeeds the Engine with Fuel? Thus causing the problem ?

When it was MOT'd - The Garage would not have run it for long (presumably) before testing the Emissions, therefore they would not have picked up if it was running Rich or Lean as the Engine would not be presenting the Problem ?

JohnDotCom
16th October 2007, 22:58
I'm sure there is on Petrol Models all to do with the Emissions and Cat.
Not my area but someone should know more, being mainly Diesel Myself.

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 07:22
I'm sure there is on Petrol Models all to do with the Emissions and Cat.
Not my area but someone should know more, being mainly Diesel Myself.

Thanks JDC. Beginning to wonder if I should have gone the way of the Diesel ?

After I spoke to the Garage, they informed me that the problem happens within a Certain RPM Range - Usually higher RPM (which would explain the problem being more likely to happen in first gear I presume) so thats one step closer lol........... I hadn't noticed that before, but then I haven't been driving with my eyes on the Rev Counter........ It also is more likely to happen on a Right hand bend or crossing a roundabout to the right, so the Car is leaning left.

But it also happens when the Car is level and usually between 50Mph and 85Mph (Thats not an admission to speeding !!) I guess though, that falls under high Rpm ?

Simon
17th October 2007, 19:33
Are we talking the ticking noise here? If so then maybe it's something mechanical in the drivetrain rather than in the engine...? :confused:

The 1.8's do have a air flow sensor - called 'Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor'. On the 1.8's it is located near the middle of the manifold itself. You ought to see it held in place by two torx screws. Remove the multiplug from the sensor then unscrew the two torx screws to remove it.

Departed
17th October 2007, 19:46
The 1.8's do have a air flow sensor - called 'Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor'. On the 1.8's it is located near the middle of the manifold itself. You ought to see it held in place by two torx screws. Remove the multiplug from the sensor then unscrew the two torx screws to remove it.

Well a pressure sensor, not flow. Although you can calculate the flow from the pressure and the throttle plate position. MAF sensors are for flow.

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 21:05
Well Guys today was D-Day and the Decision has been made.

Ole' Bluey will be leaving us and (hopefully) another 75 taking its place.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help, advice and suggestions given here, not to mention the words of support.

I am happy in a way, because the situation is ended and we really felt guilty over the Garage dealer spending so much on the Car, I know its business and it happens sometimes, but it isnt nice to feel as though you are putting pressure on.

I will not be leaving the site........Ever...........lol ................and hopefully very soon I can start posting about my enjoyment rather than frustration of owning a 75 :D

So, here is to the prospect of my new 75 and looking forward to our family trip to Germany :wine:

and for all you guys who have offered support and advice etc........ :grouphug:

Simon
17th October 2007, 21:08
Good to hear that you've been able to resolve this in a very amicable way. Hats off to the garage your dealing with for being so pleasant and understanding. I don't know of many businesses who are like they are in todays world.

In one way it's a shame that we'll never know what the problem is with the blue 75 but then again, you're now being offered a fresh start with another 75 so hopefully this one will be trouble-free from the word go. Any ideas on what the replacement 75 will be?

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 21:13
Good to hear that you've been able to resolve this in a very amicable way. Hats off to the garage your dealing with for being so pleasant and understanding. I don't know of many businesses who are like they are in todays world.

In one way it's a shame that we'll never know what the problem is with the blue 75 but then again, you're now being offered a fresh start with another 75 so hopefully this one will be trouble-free from the word go. Any ideas on what the replacement 75 will be?

I dont know how it works. The Car is on HP so does it have to be like for like ? We would expect no less than a Connoisseur again, I may ask for a CDT this time, but a 1.8 Petrol will be fine. There have been some nice looking Connoisseurs on the Auto Trader site, a few SE's and a couple of CDT's all around teh same price tag and mileage except teh Diesels, which are higher mileage usually 99,000 +.

Guess I will just have to play by ear for now. :lol:

Keith
17th October 2007, 21:50
Carl have you seen the Gold Tourer on Jules Web site?
:drool4:

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 22:21
Carl have you seen the Gold Tourer on Jules Web site?
:drool4:

Funnily enough - when we chose ole' Bluey, it was a choice between Bluey and a Gold Tourer.........is it a 51 plate?? lol ...........

can you post a link please?

JohnDotCom
17th October 2007, 22:23
They should cancel the Finance agreement, and start a new one for new Vehicle.
If its HP it will be registered against the Car so Garage will have to clear that up first before they could resell or dispose of car. Otherwise HPi would flag it up.

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 22:54
They should cancel the Finance agreement, and start a new one for new Vehicle.
If its HP it will be registered against the Car so Garage will have to clear that up first before they could resell or dispose of car. Otherwise HPi would flag it up.

Thanks JDC.

What happens to the money we have already paid? Is that offset towards the new agreement?

The only other car I have had on HP was troublefree, so this is kind of new to me ( Scratches head confused !! )

Also, do we get to have a say in what we want in the replacement?

Simon
17th October 2007, 23:00
Normal trading rules ought to apply in so much that any product deemed faulty should be replaced at no charge for an equal or better product.

I would translate this to mean, that any car of a reasonably similar spec to your 75 may be offered as a replacement. If you want a 75 then they should find one for you. You may be entitled to a full refund but this can depend on a few other factors.

JohnDotCom
17th October 2007, 23:07
I'm pretty sure you can reject anything that is not Like for Like unless Payment adjustment made (less spec?)
Stick to what you want R75, you may not get the same colour but Under the Sale of Goods Act they do have to sort it,a different make for same price is NOT the same, if you don't want it.
If all else fails they can Refund your Monies Paid (they will loose their HP commission then to).

JohnDotCom
17th October 2007, 23:08
I'm running slow tonight,
Much as Simon said in his post, sorry for duplication.

Simon
17th October 2007, 23:10

I'm sure Carl wont mind. It's good to have duplicate information - shows we are both right at least ;)

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 23:24
Thanks Guys :)

We will certainly be having a 75 - I think we just got unlucky with this one - and I dont give up on my Dreams that easy !!!!!!!

Colour wise, as long as it isnt Silver...........lol :pillow:

I would at least expect a Connoisseur or Conn SE model, either 1.8 Petrol or Diesel. There are plenty on Auto Trader for same sort of price we took on this one for and Bluey being a 1.8 Connoisseur, that would be like for like?

I assume we can actually choose our next car? otherwise that could fall under missold goods? being sold something you didnt want?

I might give Trading Standards a call, just to be sure on the SOGA side of things, as I am not 100% on the ins and outs of this. I know they are required to replace faulty goods etc but not 100% sure of what I can actually request / expect as a replacement.

Anyway, I will bid you goodnight - spent my first half of the evening setting up our new HD TV up and have Just finished a nice bottle of Italian Merlot......and need some kip.......lol

Thanks again for your help it is most appreciated :)

JohnDotCom
17th October 2007, 23:27
I will be doing same soon, early start and all that. :bed:

carlpenn
17th October 2007, 23:28

I'm sure Carl wont mind. It's good to have duplicate information - shows we are both right at least ;)

LMAO !!!!!!

I dont mind at all....:D

I will see you all tomorrow, in a wierd internet forum sort of way :p:

Simon
17th October 2007, 23:31
By all means contact Trading Standards for the official stance but so far as I'm aware if the supplier of the product has accepted that it is faulty then you should expect either a like-for-like (or identical) replacement OR a full refund (usually within a 28 day period from date of purchase or 14 days with electrical items but check with Trading Standards on this front....)

Cars being cars and their varying specifications and trim levels it may be impossible to get an exact replacement but under the terms of your Rights you should expect a Connoisseur trim level with no more miles (reasonably) than the blue 1.8 75 you have got. The dealership may well base the decision on price in so much as whatever you paid you can have another car for the same price and any difference in price you either pay extra or get reimbursed. This option would be most common I'd have thought as it would be less hassle and far simpler for both you and the garage.

Edit: And yes, night time it would seem to be so the land of Zzzzz may soon follow for me too... :bed: :)

carlpenn
21st October 2007, 21:28
ok, not one for giving up easy........lol

Picked teh Car up on Friday and have not had a problem at all.

The only difference to the Car is that the Cover has been taken off the top of the Engine, the one above the Coil Packs etc.

Now this cover has not been replaced. So.........in retrospect of this, is there any reason why the Cover would help create a misfiring problem? Could it be as mentioned earlier, that there is a bad earth and due to the cover being there, it worsened the problem, or, my own theory, could the Coil Packs be faulty and due to no airflow cooling them, be overheating and thus causing the problem? Is there any Wires that could be trapped or moved by this cover? Loose Wires etc

Just been for a run up the motorway, up one Junction and back - 85 Mph one way and 110Mph (NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- Scary that !!) on the way back, and absolutely superb..........no misfires, no hesitations and accelerated like a nutter !!

My Wife is taking the Car to work tomorrow, to try out and see if teh problem rears its ugly head. I am hoping not to some degree as at least this is a positive step in solving the mystery of Ole Bluey.

Grabbing at straws I know, but I am finding it hard to let go of Ole Bluey.........:(

Phil
21st October 2007, 21:40
It is possible the ht leads are crossed and with the cover on to some degree causing a problem. I don't know why it makes any odds the leads being crossed but as an apprentice I got a telling off for crossing leads on a Rover 400 after refitting them and it caused the engine to hesitate.

carlpenn
21st October 2007, 22:00
It is possible the ht leads are crossed and with the cover on to some degree causing a problem. I don't know why it makes any odds the leads being crossed but as an apprentice I got a telling off for crossing leads on a Rover 400 after refitting them and it caused the engine to hesitate.

Thanks Phil.

What do you mean "Crossed"? Should I post a Photo tomorrow so you can have a look? :)

I just think its odd, that after all the problems, the moment the Cover is off, the problem vanishes !! Will know for sure tomorrow once my Wife has taken the Car to work and back as she will be sitting in traffic too and not just clear running like I got tonight.

Phil
21st October 2007, 22:15
Ideally the HT leads should not cross each other but should just run neatly. I have no idea why it should make a difference I just know I got a good telling off for doing it during my training.