PDA

View Full Version : Alternative SatNav Software?

Mr Edd
27th November 2011, 21:38
Really starting to get pead off with Igo8 and Premo etc. Today it lost itself yet again. It thinks I am in France again. All I did was start the car up and it comes on automatically but today it lost the English language. Fortunately I knew where I was going today.

Is there an alternative as I have to go to London at the weekend and the last thing I need is to be fiddle with the Sat Nav in a strange city, and I am going to an address I have never been to before.

That's about three times its done this now. Sheesh :shrug::mad:

I need something a bit more stable please.

Edd

Jake
27th November 2011, 21:48
Hi Edd,

Been out of the loop with these things, but on the one I had which was an original a few year ago, it initially came with a card loaded with Tom tom software which was farely good.

Wooleysox i believe is also having problems with Igo saying he's got a car capable of crossing the channel.

HarryM1BYT
27th November 2011, 21:49
Really starting to get pead off with Igo8 and Premo etc. Today it lost itself yet again. It thinks I am in France again. All I did was start the car up and it comes on automatically but today it lost the English language. Fortunately I knew where I was going today.

Is there an alternative as I have to go to London at the weekend and the last thing I need is to be fiddle with the Sat Nav in a strange city, and I am going to an address I have never been to before.

That's about three times its done this now. Sheesh :shrug::mad:

I need something a bit more stable please.

Edd

The only regular problem I have is due to my failing to close the satnav down properly, when upon the next time I run it, it comes up with the yes/no box. I choose the 'no' and it carries on before, choose the yes and it wipes all of my settings out.

I did think though, it might be good to carry a second SD card with the software ready setup on it, just in case the first one gets corrupted, as a backup.

Mr Edd
29th November 2011, 12:36
Hi Jake

I had Tom-Tom in my old sat nav unit, (one that sticks to the windscreen) which I gave to me daughter and is still working very well.

I have all the TOM TOM disks so can this be installed via the CD player or shall I have to buy another Tom Tom package? I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want to get from A to B in simple press button operations.

I just can't understand why IGo8 or Primo keeps resetting its self and loosing all my history and favorites.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Edd

HarryM1BYT
29th November 2011, 14:33
Hi Jake

I had Tom-Tom in my old sat nav unit, (one that sticks to the windscreen) which I gave to me daughter and is still working very well.

I have all the TOM TOM disks so can this be installed via the CD player or shall I have to buy another Tom Tom package? I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want to get from A to B in simple press button operations.

I just can't understand why IGo8 or Primo keeps resetting its self and loosing all my history and favorites.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Edd

You cannot install from CD to satnav, the only possible route is from CD to SD card via your PC, that is assuming it is the right version of Tom Tom for the DD. Tom Tom has been tested on the DD and it crashes.

The only issues I have had with mine in over 12 months have been due to not closing the satnav down, simply switching the ignition off - which tends to make it think it has lost its config settings.

StuBlake13
29th November 2011, 18:31
I can confirm no matter the problems if its playing up take the card out and put on pc remove the primo folder and replace with what you download from here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=723679&postcount=105

Works a charm. Same goes for if you say yes to the above mentioned question.

Mr Edd
2nd December 2011, 18:50
I can confirm no matter the problems if its playing up take the card out and put on pc remove the primo folder and replace with what you download from here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=723679&postcount=105

Works a charm. Same goes for if you say yes to the above mentioned question.

I did that today and tomorrow will be the acid test... Wish me luck

If you never hear from me again send out the search party.

Edd

StuBlake13
2nd December 2011, 19:28
I did that today and tomorrow will be the acid test... Wish me luck

If you never hear from me again send out the search party.

Edd

I will send the gendarme for you....;)

Mr Edd
3rd December 2011, 23:32
Well would you believe it...

I got down to the railway station off the M25 and met my companion for the day. The SatNav worked wonderfully.

went into London and did the Leonardo bit and a meal and Convent Garden. Had a really nice day. Went back to the station to pick the car up and guess what happened. the flipping Sat Nav would not boot. I kept getting global errors and the stupid thing getting stuck on the splash screen, then a voice telling me I had arrived at my destination.

I stopped it a number of times and restarted but but no joy. Eventually I put the original card that came with the DD Unit from Sean and it began to run, so I was able to get home.

Anyone want one of these Tony Fry SD cards let me know as I don't seem to have any joy with it. If I use Premo 1 it crashes half way through the trip. If I try the iGo8 version it looses the country I am in and thinks I am in France. And this new Premo 2 Got me to my destination but doesn't seem to know the way back.

Sheesh! :snowfight1:

Other than that call off the search party, I got home although I was an hour late.

Edd

Canon
5th December 2011, 20:38
So to ensure we can have working sat navs we need to carry numerous back up cards and a pc in case we need to reformat.

Hmm i think i made the wrong decision in selling my tomtom

HarryM1BYT
5th December 2011, 21:12
So to ensure we can have working sat navs we need to carry numerous back up cards and a pc in case we need to reformat.

Hmm i think i made the wrong decision in selling my tomtom

You'll be fine :icon_smile:

I have never had a backup in the car, since installing the DD 16 months ago. I have had it complain about it not being shut down properly numerous times and just pressed the 'no'.

I had just one occasion when it seemed to crash on route, where it went haring off over the Welsh mountains - an off/then on fixed that. Suspected to be maybe over heating.

Just carrying a spare card would perhaps be prudent, if you are relying heavily upon the satnav. I do, therefore I really should.

If you music card has enough surplus space, I suppose a backup could be put on there - but not tried that out.

Mr Edd
9th December 2011, 09:42
Rather than start another thread on this slightly different issue, I thought I would tack it to this one...

I have a 16gig SD card with all my music on (about a 1000 tracks) When I first put the tracks on and placed it into the unit I found there was one folder with its tracks that was duplicated. I assumed I must have done this. Yesterday I wanted to add some more tracks and while at it I thought I would delete the duplicated folder. But I couldn't find it on the card in my laptop. So I renamed the folder and added another album by the same artist.

On putting the card back in I now have duplicated folders of the original album and the second folder is also duplicated. Yet when I check all the folders on the card in my laptop there is no duplication.

Anyone know what is going on? All the other albums are fine.

Very strange.

Edd

Vic Small
9th December 2011, 16:35
Rather than start another thread on this slightly different issue, I thought I would tack it to this one...

I have a 16gig SD card with all my music on (about a 1000 tracks) When I first put the tracks on and placed it into the unit I found there was one folder with its tracks that was duplicated. I assumed I must have done this. Yesterday I wanted to add some more tracks and while at it I thought I would delete the duplicated folder. But I couldn't find it on the card in my laptop. So I renamed the folder and added another album by the same artist.

On putting the card back in I now have duplicated folders of the original album and the second folder is also duplicated. Yet when I check all the folders on the card in my laptop there is no duplication.

Anyone know what is going on? All the other albums are fine.

Very strange.

Edd

I think the file handling is not brilliant on these units. e.g. I have found that if I add new songs to my SD card by just copy them onto the card from my PC they are 'tacked on' to the bottom of the list of songs on the DD screen, the DD does not sort the new songs into the existing ones. So perhaps you are seeing a result of similar behaviour.?

What I do to get around this is to keep a directory on my PC with the songs and folders (for albums or artists) I want on my SD card. When I want to add new songs I copy them into the PC directory. Then once a week or so I put the SD card in my PC, format it (just to be sure) then copy all the files and folders to the SD card. Now the DD shows them all in the correct order.

A bit time consuming but prevents Adele being beneath Underworld :-)

Mr Edd
9th December 2011, 18:53
Thanks Vic

I guess I am in for another session with these cards.

Edd