PDA

View Full Version : Double DIN to Single DIN?

honestcon
2nd December 2011, 09:14
My Highline Double Din unit is dead - no audio. The satnav and TV still have pictures, but the volume button was dicky since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, and now has failed altogether.
I am considering putting in a single DIN unit - I don't need the Satnav or TV, but would like bluetooth and iPod connectivity. I don't want to spend £300 on this car audio - the car has given me too much trouble as it is - my missus would KILL me (and she'd be right...)
So, is there a facia that can convert my double din space to single DIN plus storage slot?
I think this one is no good: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/7608502000-adaptor
The Radio slot needs to be above the storage slot, doesn't it.
Any solutions?

Thorfin
2nd December 2011, 09:37
I have a Double Din to Single Din Facia... OE from Rover sitting in my kitchen (bizzarly) if you want it its yours ;) - Its the one with central mounted single din slot and a centrally mounted "cubby hole" above it...

Also have a nice Sony stereo that I was going to use with it... has USB input... can't remember if it does Bluetooth though... will find the Model number if your interested...

honestcon
4th December 2011, 11:02
I'd be interested in both, if the price is right. (Postage to Ireland.)

My only concern is that the radio should be above the cubby hole - there's a bracket behind the lower half of the double din unit, which means that the back of the unit itself is stepped, the top half goes in twice the length of the bottom half.

Also, will the radio be secure using this facia panel? Is there any need to drill of monkey around to make it secure?

Anyway, what's the model number of the radio?

Thorfin
8th December 2011, 10:30
I'd be interested in both, if the price is right. (Postage to Ireland.)

My only concern is that the radio should be above the cubby hole - there's a bracket behind the lower half of the double din unit, which means that the back of the unit itself is stepped, the top half goes in twice the length of the bottom half.

Also, will the radio be secure using this facia panel? Is there any need to drill of monkey around to make it secure?

Anyway, what's the model number of the radio?

Sorry missed this message!

I'll take pictures tonight for you and let you know the radio model... If your still interested?

honestcon
8th December 2011, 10:35
Sure - still interested. The bottom line is that if its a straightforward fit and fix, with no need to drill or hacksaw, I'll take it. Will the facia plate you have hold the radio securely? On the standard double din unit, there are two screws at the top for fixing. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-Din-DVD-GPS-DVB-T-Player-ROVER-MG-75-2007-10-/260765207948?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cb6d14d8c
I don't think your radio will have these, so will the facia plate act as support?
Thanks for your time.

Thorfin
8th December 2011, 10:52
Sure - still interested. The bottom line is that if its a straightforward fit and fix, with no need to drill or hacksaw, I'll take it. Will the facia plate you have hold the radio securely? On the standard double din unit, there are two screws at the top for fixing. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-Din-DVD-GPS-DVB-T-Player-ROVER-MG-75-2007-10-/260765207948?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cb6d14d8c
I don't think your radio will have these, so will the facia plate act as support?
Thanks for your time.

To fit the Adaptor I have its reuse the two screws at the top and thats it... then you fit the cage from the single din into the single din slot and bend some tabs in the cage (as per any normal single din fit) and then push fit the head unit into the cage (after connecting wires up of course!

Will take some pictures etc as mentioned :)

honestcon
8th December 2011, 10:54
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I forgot to ask, will the radio take my iPod?

C

Thorfin
8th December 2011, 10:59
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

I forgot to ask, will the radio take my iPod?

C

Theres no IPod connector on the radio.. but there is a USB port (if your ipod acts as a usb thumb drive it will work) and there is also a Aux in port so you could use that... Will get the model number and pics up asap :) - may even go home at lunchtime and get them!

guru
8th December 2011, 10:59
If you had the highline unit fitted before then I think I'm right is saying that your aerial cable will be in the boot rather then behind the dash so you'll need to extend it and run it to the front of the car.

I've never owner a 75 with highline so I'm just going on what has been posted here before, maybe one of the other members could confirm?

honestcon
8th December 2011, 11:08
If you had the highline unit fitted before then I think I'm right is saying that your aerial cable will be in the boot rather then behind the dash so you'll need to extend it and run it to the front of the car.

Thanks for that.

honestcon
8th December 2011, 11:09
Theres no IPod connector on the radio.. but there is a USB port (if your ipod acts as a usb thumb drive it will work) and there is also a Aux in port so you could use that... Will get the model number and pics up asap :) - may even go home at lunchtime and get them!

No panic - I've put up with not having a radio for a while now, so I can wait til this evening...

Thorfin
8th December 2011, 12:24
Well... here you go then :)

Here you can see the front layout, notice the rubber mat to stop things in the cubby hole moving, and the two screw holes at the top which line up with the holes in the dash as per the normal radio...
http://www.samdenton.co.uk/images/75/front.jpg

The side view shows the clips at the bottom that hold the bottom of the unit into place..
http://www.samdenton.co.uk/images/75/side.jpg

And the model number...
http://www.samdenton.co.uk/images/75/model_number.jpg

Oh and the Head unit fitted into the adapter for reference...
http://www.samdenton.co.uk/images/75/radio.jpg

Sorry about the mess in the background! That green 75 wheel I really must chuck out at some point...

Anyway the cage you see in those pictures belongs to the head unit so if you only want the adapter it will be removed :) (cages are specific to head units anyway, so probably no use to you!)

On the head unit photo you can see the aux in port, and the hanging out the back to the left (the one with the magnet thing on it) is a USB port... you can tuck that away into your glove box (it is long enough) and keep your USB device hidden from view :)

Hope that helps!

honestcon
8th December 2011, 13:04
Thanks for the effort, but I don't think I'll take the radio - I might as well look for one with bluetooth - safer driving etc.

Don't know if itll be worth your bother sending over the fascia - how much do you want for it, icluding postage? I am in Ireland.

Thorfin
8th December 2011, 13:19
Thanks for the effort, but I don't think I'll take the radio - I might as well look for one with bluetooth - safer driving etc.

Don't know if itll be worth your bother sending over the fascia - how much do you want for it, icluding postage? I am in Ireland.

I was only after the cost of postage for the fascia, if you PM me your address I'll find out how much postage would be?