PDA

View Full Version : Double Din - No GPS Found

cusm
6th December 2011, 23:03
Hi all
Need a bit of advice here please guys.

I have a Xtrons td716g, Had it installed for last 2 years without problems, but a few weeks ago I had to disconnect my battery, when i reconnected it my GPS didn't work.

Checked my GPS antenna, moved it, played with it. The system/configuration side works fine, it's just that i'm not getting any signal.

I think I may of fried my GPS Module/board, can anyone offer any help or advice about getting this fixed please.

Radioguy
6th December 2011, 23:31
Hi all
Need a bit of advice here please guys.

I have a Xtrons td716g, Had it installed for last 2 years without problems, but a few weeks ago I had to disconnect my battery, when i reconnected it my GPS didn't work.

Checked my GPS antenna, moved it, played with it. The system/configuration side works fine, it's just that i'm not getting any signal.

I think I may of fried my GPS Module/board, can anyone offer any help or advice about getting this fixed please.

If everything is working then You probably have a Dead Antenna

Does your GPS Fire up at all?

MGZTT190+
6th December 2011, 23:33
You have done what I would have done and wiggled the antenna.
maybe try another antenna/Aerial maybe..

Just a thought, hope somebody else can help..

Regards Ian.

MGZTT190+
6th December 2011, 23:36
Blimey That was close posting..

cusm
7th December 2011, 00:05
If everything is working then You probably have a Dead Antenna

Does your GPS Fire up at all?

I can get into the system menu and use all the options there. and it runs IGO no problem, just without the GPS Signal lol.

I can try a new antenna it will be cheaper than getting a new module to start off with.

Thank you.

Radioguy
7th December 2011, 00:22
I can get into the system menu and use all the options there. and it runs IGO no problem, just without the GPS Signal lol.

I can try a new antenna it will be cheaper than getting a new module to start off with.

Thank you.

You may want to try the antenna outside of the car to see if it willg et a Signal but that Would be my guess

cusm
7th December 2011, 21:11
Tried the antenna on the roof/outside of car But still no joy.

Unclefista
29th January 2012, 02:12
Did you ever solve this ?
I have the same unit with the same problem :(

Tony

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2012, 02:27
Did you ever solve this ?
I have the same unit with the same problem :(

Tony

Is the comport and baud correct in the sys.txt?

Unclefista
29th January 2012, 02:51
It's running IGO8 and there's no mention of any settings in the sys file

"[interface]
skin="ui_igo8"
resolution_dir="480_234"
vga=1
[rawdisplay]
class="landscape"
screen_x=480
screen_y=234
[debug]
skip_eula=1
enable_roadshadow=1
[map]
auto_nightmode=1
[msnd]
msnd.start=0"

I bought the head unit 2nd hand, but with no antenna.
I bought an antenna from ebay but I've had no luck getting any signal, the auto-detect function doesn't find anything either.
The bloke I bought it from has been very helpful, he's bought another head unit from the same manufacturer and left his antenna in place, he's going to send me the one he got with his new stereo once he's fitted it.
He's also offered to send me a DVD with the software on so I can work out whether it's the software at fault.

I've spent ages sorting it out, getting the steering controls working and welding up a frame to install it, I'm off to Maplin tomorrow to pick up a capacitor and diode to try stop the power drop on starting which causes the radio presets to reset.

Just the GPS problem to sort out and I can hopefully leave the thing in the dash for longer than a few hours :)

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2012, 09:43
It's running IGO8 and there's no mention of any settings in the sys file

"[interface]
skin="ui_igo8"
resolution_dir="480_234"
vga=1
[rawdisplay]
class="landscape"
screen_x=480
screen_y=234
[debug]
skip_eula=1
enable_roadshadow=1
[map]
auto_nightmode=1
[msnd]
msnd.start=0"

There is usually something like this in the file, so it knows where to find the GPS-

[gps]
port=2
baud=9600

I think the baud setting of 9600 is pretty universal, but the port number setting can vary. ou might try adding those lines, but trying various port numbers from 1 to 9.

'No GPS found' suggests it hasn't found any GPS receiver, rather than that the receiver hasn't received a sat signal. If you have a working backup copy of the software, I would suggest reinstalling it.

mh007
29th January 2012, 09:45
I have had one of these units in my van for the past 3 (could be 4) years & had no problems with it.
I don't have any issues with it losing presets either so I wonder if you have some other issue going on like a Battery cell on its way or too much of a voltage draw from the Starter Motor.
Just a thought, & i'm not by my van to check, but isn't their a reset button behind the front panel ?

Unclefista
29th January 2012, 11:08
Harry, I have a clone of the software on another SD card, specifically to experiment with without ruining my original, I'll put that info in the sys file and get back to you :)

MH007, the voltage drop problem is pretty well covered in various forums.
I have a new, very healthy battery.
The stereo keeps all it's settings no matter how long it's left for, until you start the car then it loses all radio presets, everything else is still there, steering control settings, what I was listening to etc.
The diode and capacitor mod has been done by a few people, it seems to work for most.

cusm
2nd February 2012, 00:05
I still haven't resolved this. I think it's needing new GPS module.
As for the memory Presets mine does this too, I done the diode mod and it did work, but I still have to switch the unit off before I start the car.

Hope you can find a solution, I'm still trying.

Radioguy
2nd February 2012, 00:18
I still haven't resolved this. I think it's needing new GPS module.
As for the memory Presets mine does this too, I done the diode mod and it did work, but I still have to switch the unit off before I start the car.

Hope you can find a solution, I'm still trying.

Well I Would suggest a new GPS Antenna

Sounds to me that it went dead which often happens on the less expensive models

cusm
26th February 2012, 15:23
Well I Would suggest a new GPS Antenna

Sounds to me that it went dead which often happens on the less expensive models

Can you supply me with an antenna please Sean.

If you had been around a month earlier i would of bought your unit. lol.

HarryM1BYT
26th February 2012, 17:36
Can you supply me with an antenna please Sean.

If you had been around a month earlier i would of bought your unit. lol.

There are loads of GPS active antenna sellers on ebay, around £10 delivered - you just need to find a match to the plug on the end of the coax.

cusm
15th December 2012, 13:01
Ok guys here's an update.
Eventually got a new antenna just installed it and still getting same problem.
Can anyone offer anymore suggestions or even be able to repair it.

Many thanks.

Steve916
15th December 2012, 13:37
Ok guys here's an update.
Eventually got a new antenna just installed it and still getting same problem.
Can anyone offer anymore suggestions or even be able to repair it.

Many thanks.

Did you ever try what Harry suggested in his earlier post, regarding the sys.txt file?
My guess would be that it's that causing the problem.

ceedy
15th December 2012, 20:31
Its not clear from the previous postings, have you actually got the GPS side of the system menus to actually show whether there is any data flowing.

Asking because my GPS board Died as yours may have, during a battery swap about 2 years ago !!.

A "Spike" had caused the GPS Board to die by damaging a Tiny 8 pin Eprom on the GPS board

C.

cusm
15th December 2012, 20:46
I followed your tail of woe ceedy
I too did a battery swap.
Everything works fine apart from finding a signal
I get on IGO GPS HARDWARE NOT FOUND.
On the settings on unit it doesn't pick up any signals either.
I originally thought it was GPS Module.
Fancy doing a repair ? ;-)

ceedy
15th December 2012, 22:43
I followed your tail of woe ceedy
I too did a battery swap.
Everything works fine apart from finding a signal
I get on IGO GPS HARDWARE NOT FOUND.
On the settings on unit it doesn't pick up any signals either.
I originally thought it was GPS Module.
Fancy doing a repair ? ;-)

Sorry don't have any eproms, even if it was just that ..

Found a LINKY (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=85002)to my old thread . at least you might be able to see if the Board is similar , they do have differing connectors though to the main board ?..

Nearly all have the same Samsung Chipset.

C.