PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista and Outlook 2000

David3807
25th September 2007, 22:14
Just got a new laptop with Vista (can you get one with anything else ? ) and loaded up Office 2000. Word and Excel seem to work fine but Outlook lets me in but as soon as I attempt to open e mail says I have got a problem and throws me out.

I have browsed a bit and am aware that there were problems with Vista/Outlook 2000 but could not find any solutions.

Does any one know if these problems were ever cured and if so point me in the direction of the info. Or do I have to get a more up to date version of Office ??

Any helps would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

JohnDotCom
25th September 2007, 22:38
I'm afraid it isn't recommended for use with Vista David.
I have some spare Licences for Outlook 2003 if thats any help and a disc of course.
I am away from Friday for the week (working) but can sort on my return.
Just PM your details if you want.

Mike
26th September 2007, 05:39
Just got a new laptop with Vista (can you get one with anything else ? )

Have just bought a brand new Dell PC for the business and was able to specify XP or Vista. I went with XP on the basis that I haven't time to do Microsoft's final testing work for them!

cjmillsnun
27th October 2007, 11:19
;) Mike, I was an early adopter for Vista and not had a problem with it.....

Then again, I still prefer Linux.

Mike
27th October 2007, 11:54
;) Mike, I was an early adopter for Vista and not had a problem with it.....

Then again, I still prefer Linux.

Hi CJ :) I'm sure Vista is fine (cough) but in business I need everything to work out of the box so I'm happy to play things safe.

JohnDotCom
27th October 2007, 11:59
There is a very Interesting New Article today which I shall post later that on Identical Machines XP Pro consistently out performs Vista and is quicker by 20% in a lot of Areas and up to 40% faster on 2D programs, Ouch!!

BMC123
27th October 2007, 13:06
and to counteract that, I find vista runs my games faster than XP did :shrug: but then I am using more memory to run vista.... and a having played with it now for a few weeks, i am beginning to think that a severe case of "deja vu" is happing here... remember windows ME? :mad: I am starting to look at vista as nothing more than a "tarted up" version of XP just as ME was a tarted up version of 98..
Not to mention vista cannot "see" my 4Gb of ram (it only sees 3) and refuses to run my copy of Cubase SX3 anymore..... I feel a reformat is looming.....

JohnDotCom
27th October 2007, 14:10
I was sure Vista was meant to see up to 4GB of ram,
but I'm most probably wrong or getting confused with other operating Systems or 64bit etc.
The games area with some games was the only area in the Article that did actually improve IN Vista,
not much point then in Business to rush out and buy it.

telemalc
27th October 2007, 14:23
dont know if this will help you with cubase but i managed to load cakewalk and virtual sound canvas into vista by copying the programs onto a usb memory stick first in my XP computer and then plug in the stick in the vista computer and load the program from there,
Malc

BMC123
27th October 2007, 18:52
dont know if this will help you with cubase but i managed to load cakewalk and virtual sound canvas into vista by copying the programs onto a usb memory stick first in my XP computer and then plug in the stick in the vista computer and load the program from there,
Malc

Tried that already no joy, even used a "virtual" drive and of course steinberg are ever so helpfull

For products which are neither listed here nor in our Windows Vista overview article (see above) we do not recommend to install the product on a Windows Vista system and can not grant any kind of technical support. If in doubt; continue to use the well established operating system Windows XP.

I dont want or need to upgrade to SX4 so i will have to mess about a bit, as it will work in Vista Ultimate for some odd reason :shrug: I'll get there yet.

nairda
28th October 2007, 00:34
and to counteract that, I find vista runs my games faster than XP did :shrug: but then I am using more memory to run vista.... and a having played with it now for a few weeks, i am beginning to think that a severe case of "deja vu" is happing here... remember windows ME? :mad: I am starting to look at vista as nothing more than a "tarted up" version of XP just as ME was a tarted up version of 98..
Not to mention vista cannot "see" my 4Gb of ram (it only sees 3) and refuses to run my copy of Cubase SX3 anymore..... I feel a reformat is looming.....

You could always build a standalone DAW running XP with minimal services and SX3. M-Audio soundcards are relatively cheap compared to the likes of Creative and the ASIO latencies are lower too. Then you could use the Vista machine for games and all other uses.