The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The most pointless feature on a car EVER? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=98107)

GT Courier 20th November 2011 14:37

Metric for me, it is much more logical and scientific, no need for imperial anymore, the only imperial ones I use is MPH and MPG, but heights/weights/temps I dont understand imperial anymore... oh and money too...

martin green 20th November 2011 14:37

AROUND 70F.

The new kids will talk to the older kids and they will talk to the older generation....nothing dies, it's shared........

Its not jonny Foreigner at all IF YOU LIKE BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO, BY UNELECTED TWOTS then thats fine, but i and many others do not.....and just because they do it, its not always in our best interest. I LIKE THE USA as they stick to there guns....They do whats best for the USA and good on them ....I also feel we have something good here within our own nation. Sharing is one thing biro pen occupation is another.

No the undertones are not them foreignors but more that we are changing like sheep and we all know whats happens to them.

trikey 20th November 2011 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin green (Post 855641)
AROUND 70F.

The new kids will talk to the older kids and they will talk to the older generation....nothing dies, it's shared........

Yeah, about the X factor, latest gadgets, etc etc...

Not too many of today's kids are interested in the past i'm afraid.

CFS75 20th November 2011 15:09

It's interesting that neighbours Canada and the USA have different systems. Canada went metric years ago when miles were replaced with kilometres and gallons changed to litres. However you drive over the border and you find distances are all in miles - you feel at home, and you pull into a 'gas' station and are pleased to to see the pumps are selling 'gas' in gallons. BUT they are not imperial gallons! The US have their own gallon measure that is smaller than the imperial gallon.

Petrol is cheaper in the US than in Canada and many Canadians living near the (almost) open border will drive over to fill up in the US. I tried to work out the savings but the conversions of Canadian to US dollars and then litres to US gallons defeated me!

Colin S

Roverowner 20th November 2011 15:15

This is beginning to get like something from Monty Python:D I don“t connect having a metric system to being in the EU. I think the EU is a failure and a nice place for the political -race- to send their -not so good- politicians to get a good living and a nice wage (thereby getting rid of them for a while from the -home country-). The metric system is a good thing where ever it came from. Of course all the racehorses miss running furlongs now that they have to run kilometers:D

coolcat 20th November 2011 15:24

I would have to agree that dropping imperial for metric would be in most peoples interests, nostalgia is not really a reason to hold onto a confusing measurement system.
Most of the rest of the world ( North America excluded ) use the metric system and to compete and be productive with other nations it makes no sense to work things out and then convert to another system, 'Tis where mistakes get made!

Kiltman 20th November 2011 15:33

I wonder if Martin insists on describing the size of his engines as 119 cubic inches? ;)

HarryM1BYT 20th November 2011 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT Courier (Post 855640)
Metric for me, it is much more logical and scientific, no need for imperial anymore, the only imperial ones I use is MPH and MPG, but heights/weights/temps I dont understand imperial anymore... oh and money too...

I still think in miles, feet, inches and gallons. I still look in my workshop for a bit of wood around two feet long, but will happily go out and buy a metre of wood. I visualise better in Imperial, then convert to metric as needed in my head. I was never happy with deg F, so quickly forgot it and use degC. I was first taught metric units at about 14, but my early working life was entirely Imperial.

I was glad the metric money arrived in 1972(?)-ish. I could if necessary still work in £sd money and recognise/count the old coins, but I don't suppose anyone is still clinging to the use of £$d :D

wraymond 20th November 2011 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 855707)
I still think in miles, feet, inches and gallons. I still look in my workshop for a bit of wood around two feet long, but will happily go out and buy a metre of wood. I visualise better in Imperial, then convert to metric as needed in my head. I was never happy with deg F, so quickly forgot it and use degC. I was first taught metric units at about 14, but my early working life was entirely Imperial.

I was glad the metric money arrived in 1972(?)-ish. I could if necessary still work in £sd money and recognise/count the old coins, but I don't suppose anyone is still clinging to the use of £$d :D

I worked in supermarkets in '72. We worked seven full days before 'D' day (Decimal) and another seven after it. Changing everything in the shops over to the new currency. I was responsible for 5 of them. The changeover cost in all 4 million pounds! Guess who paid? All I can say is the company's profits increased by around 12% that year in spite of the cost. That was the start of the rot, it accelerated from then on, rather like a cruise control without any.

Bolin 20th November 2011 16:07

I started this thread to discuss pointless car features.

A heated debate on the merits of the metric and imperial system and even the European Union was not quite what I had in mind............

If you want to argue about F/C or feet/cm then please feel free to start a separate thread for such arguments. Doesn't have much to do with silly car bits.

Otherwise, please keep to the topic and share any other pointless car features!