The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   May V Corbyn on TV now (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=268157)

Rooney 29th May 2017 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 2499348)
I wish folk would stop giving Corbyn a hard time.

I wish people would give him a harder time - his links to the IRA are as undeniable as they are unpalatable.

stevenicks 30th May 2017 06:33

You just can't believe what the polls say, they have been known to get things wrong in the past :shrug:;).

mbev51 30th May 2017 06:51

You cannot believe the polls. We have many nore floating voters than ever. It's going to be really interesting. I hope May gets exactly the number of seats she's got now. If that happened I think she will be replaced. Where's mr Gove, could he make a dramatic comeback?

stevenicks 30th May 2017 07:16

I don't think Gove would have anyone's trust after stabbing Boris in the back. But that's politician's for you I suppose :shrug:.

Gino 30th May 2017 07:25

I didn't watch the debate as I find politics very boring. I do, however, appreciate the importance of voting, even more so with the upcoming elections.
The reason I am posting is that I find a Politics seems to be short term point scoring against other parties. |My biggest gripe is with Labour at them moment, complaining about 'austerity' & the inference that the war on terror is failing/increasing the risk of terrorist attacks on Britain.

They seem to forget that the National Debt is as much Labour's fault as the Conservatives - don't forget Gordon Brown sold off our Gold Reserves below market value! We do have to lower the National Debt, despite how unpopular it is. How we do that is another matter though!
Labour were also the ones who set the tone of our Foreign Policy for this century when they took us to war in Iraq & Afghanistan. I think it is fair to say that international terrorism has worsened as a result.
Either by luck or good work by the security services, the Manchester Bombing has been the only major incident since 7/7, especially when you consider how bad the French have suffered over the past couple of years. I may be wrong, but I don't believe the French played a big part in Iraq/Afghanistan. If the catalyst for the increase in terror attacks was Iraq/Afghanistan, why target France?

I was never a fan of Teresa May, however, I do think she has been doing a good job since she became PM. Despite being the opposite of her personal view, she has stuck with the referendum decision & I believe she will get us the best possible deal. I do think it was cowardly that Cameron quit as the result went against him - he should have stayed & seen the job out.

I hope the Conservatives get re-elected with a strong majority as that will give us some stability while we negotiate Brexit & deal with a turbulent world.

Obviously this is my opinion & respect that other people will not agree with me, but hey, I'm used to that as I drive a Rover!

Rob

Stevie25 30th May 2017 07:37

I watched the debate and noticed that the fact that after Brexit Northern Ireland will have a land Border with another EU Country - namely the Republic of Ireland - was mentioned only once.
This issue is very complex and will require a unique solution.
Can't help thinking somehow that if any of the mainland UK countries, Namely England, Scotland or Wales were in this position, then it would be talked about and debated everyday.
Just an observation.

topman 30th May 2017 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino (Post 2499410)
I may be wrong, but I don't believe the French played a big part in Iraq/Afghanistan. If the catalyst for the increase in terror attacks was Iraq/Afghanistan, why target France?

They have played quite a large role in Afghanistan. :}

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fren...in_Afghanistan

topman 30th May 2017 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie25 (Post 2499415)
Can't help thinking somehow that if any of the mainland UK countries, Namely England, Scotland or Wales were in this position, then it would be talked about and debated everyday.
Just an observation.

You think it's not covered enough in the media in NI or the rest of the UK? Or both? :}

Gino 30th May 2017 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by topman (Post 2499417)
They have played quite a large role in Afghanistan. :}

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fren...in_Afghanistan

I stand corrected! :}

Stevie25 - your point about Northern Ireland is very valid. I did vote to leave the EU, but I do believe that free movement should remain. Too many British businesses rely on migrant workers. To stop this movement would be a folly.

Rob

mbev51 30th May 2017 08:20

The national debt (so I have read recently, not sure where) has doubled since 2010, funny, many people see the Tories as being financially competent. When will we hit 2 trillion? Don't forget the cost of brexit will be huge. The two main factors that swung the Brexit vote, namely spending all that money, not on Europe, rather on the NHS and the implication that immigration would be controlled have been largely exposed. The government always controlled non EU migration and the free movement of EU workers enabled our economy to prosper, as for the £350m going to the health service, who believes that now? What a mess, to keep uttering it's the 'will of the people' is nonsense. Do the majority of us want to get poorer?

I'm afraid our mode of democracy isn't working, a version of proportional representation would elect a government that more represents the views of the whole electorate, where every vote counts. If I was young I would be off to NZ or OZ to live, I've been around both of their parliament buildings and learned about their system of government and been quite impressed.