The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Air Intake Modification Issue. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125350)

Jules 29th September 2012 20:32

Myth no 1

Starting a new thread doesn't necessarily make it more likely to be read IMO.
The many old threads on MAF subjects can be added to as they already have many previous subscribers who will be notified by email that the thread has been updated

Myth no 2
Cutting the intake off at bellows increases air volume into engine.
Wrong !
It introduces warm air (less dense) now fed from behind the radiator/condenser!
Why make the intercooler work harder :shrug:

So folks don't do it!!
Instead do the "invisible mod"
ie cut some V shapes on the underside of the intake at the front edge.
Thus reducing the air restriction without increasing the air temp.

Mike Noc 29th September 2012 22:09

Something else to consider - is the original intake placed where it can benefit from forced induction at speed due to the higher pressure of incoming air behind the grille?

Mike

Arctic 30th September 2012 00:31

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 1105238)
My three (well two, the centre bolt was missing) fixing have been seized since I got the car and sorting them out has been something I've been intending to do for a while.

What I noticed on mine once I had eventually removed it, which no one has mentioned, is that there is a water trap in the duct just to the rear of the bellowed section. There is a full width 'sump', with a drain hole in the bottom.

Anyway, today I got a roundtuit....

Centre bolt was missing, but the two outer ones were completely seized and the brass nuts just turning in their rubber surrounds. My only option was to drill the two bolts off, but I managed to snap my pilot drill in one of them so I had to carefully grind the head off. The grinding wrecked the flange of the rubber, which left me one short.

I managed to clean up the threads of the brass inserts with tap, to reuse the damaged rubber unit, I fitted it in the centre hole, but made it stay put with some hot glue. Three new bolts, a good coating of copper grease and it is all back in place.

Idea was, to make it quickly removable should I need to and get my first good look around the front of the engine since I got it. Once off, it make access between the rad and the engine much better.

I replaced mine with self taping bolts pinch tight and can be undone in a jiffy. And yes there is a a water trap in the duct just to the rear of the bellowed section here is a full width 'sump', with a drain hole in the bottom pics below ;) checked it yesterday afternoon while i was checking my oil water etc before a journey. Also if you have to remove the bellows as in the last pic check to see if your air filter is clean or not

James.uk 30th September 2012 00:55

I did drive with the front part of the air intake off for a week, as far as I could tell it was just the same, so I put it back... :shrug:

Bearing in mind the air comes in the front, does a lil dogleg on route to the back,, goes into the filter, then left past the MAF, goes down, through the turbo, back to the front again, turns right through the inter cooler, then back up, left, and through the EGR. and finally enters the intake manifold. Not exactly ideal is it. :o:o:o...

denis 2nd October 2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.uk (Post 1105306)
OK, so end result of this mod is what?? :shrug:

I haven't seen anything other than peoples opinions on this topic, anyone got any definitive information? Any tests been done to verify anything? :shrug:

Oh and logically, the fluted section of the air intake (the bit people are proposing to remove) should, in itself, help reduce water ingress... :shrug:

In hindsight I don't think I would have done the mod as the opening, or mouth, cross sectional area that you reveal by cutting off the bellows section is probably hardly any different to the combined original opening when the intake was fixed to the slam panel. If I can find another "unmodded" one without too much expense then I will probably change it back. Good enough positive answer?????

James.uk 2nd October 2012 16:53

What we need to do is, bring the air in the front and straight into the EGR innit... :D

Prob is. that would bypass the filter, MAF, turbo, and intercooler..innit.... :shrug:

ardvark 13th September 2019 11:03

Arctic, a question if I may?
Them clips and self tapping bolts you used.
What size are they?

75driver 13th September 2019 11:39

#ilovetthreadressurections😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arctic 13th September 2019 12:44

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardvark (Post 2761866)
Arctic, a question if I may?
Them clips and self tapping bolts you used.
What size are they?

They are these below, I purchase a couple of sets then at our meets change them over on members car FOC ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER...cAAOSwux5YKbVA

ardvark 13th September 2019 13:00

Thats great thank you :bowdown: