The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Road charges to fill £40bn black hole? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309275)

wraymond 16th November 2020 16:07

Electric cars will have a shorter history than ICE's. The science is already into Hydrogen and nuclear and will be available within 20 years.

COLVERT 16th November 2020 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2848630)
Electric cars will have a shorter history than ICE's. The science is already into Hydrogen and nuclear and will be available within 20 years.

Oh !!--That's good news as I'll only be 103 in 20 years time.

Already looking forward to it.---:cool:

COLVERT 16th November 2020 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2848603)
Am I correct in thinking that (at the moment) you can only have an electric car charging point fitted if you have your own off road parking, ie garage or driveway. I suspect that 50/60% of car owners have no option but to park on roadside or in communal car parks, has anyone even given this a thought?
Add to that that they (electric vehicles) are useless for anything more than a short commute to work or popping to the shops and I fail to see how they can replace petrol/diesel powered vehicles for longer journeys or freight carrying.
Without doubt cars/vans/trucks will need to have a different source of power in the future but I don't see the alternative power source being battery driven.

Yes you probably are correct. Doesn't matter though because if you have a road that has quite a few electric car owners the existing cabling won't carry the amount of power required to charge all those batteries overnight.

Hence:---Road works EVERYWHERE to install the necessary wiring.----:eek:

Coming soon to a road near you.-------Total disruption !!!!

jackatesme 16th November 2020 18:58

Anyone on here capable to convert my 75 Diesel to electric or hydrogen.:D

Nobby 16th November 2020 19:25

EV's are ok for your normal car driving as range is improving all the time but if you tow a tin tent or trailer of any kind your stuffed as there are only a couple of vehicles on the market currently certified to tow. Perhaps its a cunning plan to reduce summer tourist traffic levels as well :shrug:

Lancpudn 16th November 2020 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2848519)
You would have to increase VED to several thousands of pounds per year to make up for all the lost fuel revenue.

With the rise of electric vehicle sales this had to come, because as it stands at the moment you can charge your car for free if you have solar panels - so free electricity and zero VED = free motoring.

It is exactly this combination that has prompted one of my friends to order an electric car.

Tell your friend to be sharp as BMW have announced today that almost all of their model line up will be £3000 dearer for the UK after the 1st January 2021 because of the (B) word. :eek: I wonder how many more car manufacturers will do the same!.

mbev51 17th November 2020 08:18

Yes the imported German cars will be dearer, I’m more interested in the tariffs on the cars/components we export as we are talking uk jobs. Mind both sides want an agreement so at the last minute we should get one, unless something goes seriously wrong. It will be interesting to see which side blinks first. I know where my money is.

torque2me 17th November 2020 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2848515)
I would have thought the simplest thing would be to change VED back to the old system of a standard fixed rate "road tax" (as we used to call it). :shrug:

Cliff

I've e-mailed Grant Shapps on this issue. Perhaps others could inundate his inbox so we might have the possibility of a level playing field.

Weight of a vehicle could be a new criteria as this is the main cause of friction wear.

Kev

torque2me 17th November 2020 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2848525)
I wonder how long it will take them to recover the cost?

It was obvious something would be done to make up the shortfall in Government income from the loss road fund licence and fuel duty from newer cars.
Will those using petrol and diesel pay yet again, we pay via fuel tax, we pay via road fund licence, will we now have to pay via tolls?:eek:
Roads that do not attract a toll will probably become busy as people look to avoid the toll if only certain road attract the toll.

Even the score, apply it only to electric and those already on reduced road fund licence:D

macafee2

Remember how much 5* fuel cost and the small number of outlets? Deja Vu!

Kev

torque2me 17th November 2020 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2848603)
Add to that that they (electric vehicles) are useless for anything more than a short commute to work or popping to the shops and I fail to see how they can replace petrol/diesel powered vehicles for longer journeys or freight carrying.
Without doubt cars/vans/trucks will need to have a different source of power in the future but I don't see the alternative power source being battery driven.

I think commercial vehicles should have been the first to be "electrified".

I don't think artic's would be an issue. Think of 30 ft of trailer for which the sleek/thin battery is part of the underbelly! The tractor could be fitted either with a generator or more battery space.

Just a thought...….. some nation will pick it up!

Kev