The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V6 versus Diesel (both auto). (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289751)

SD1too 2nd November 2018 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2683393)
The other vis motor never made any clicking noise when tested.

Could you hear it running smoothly though?

Simon

MissMoppet 9th December 2018 09:18

Trikey is right

Just to close off this topic, BigRuss has checked everything on my V6 and sadly have to conclude that a V6 auto is no match for a remapped 160 diesel. B . . . r.

Arctic 9th December 2018 09:33

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2693001)
Just to close off this topic, BigRuss has checked everything on my V6 and sadly have to conclude that a V6 auto is no match for a remapped 160 diesel. B . . . r.

Were the Vis motors ok when checked on T4 if not then your next port of call would be My Vis (Stocktake) working ones which make a big difference to the car ask about the special ones, self testing :drool4:

Jim Jamieson 9th December 2018 10:02

We ran a 2.0 diesel from new and added a V6 2.5 petrol with 36k on the clock about six years later. Both were Connoisseur autos and right from the outset both the missus and I found the diesel was quicker off the mark.
At cruising speeds the V6 was much smoother and slightly quieter. Between 40mph to 70mph the V6 had the advantage over the diesel but it was the fuel consumption from the diesel which had the stronger advantage.

A few years ago I stripped out the Vis motors and cleaned up all the crud from the inlet manifold. I did find a broken circuit on one of the Vis motors which was repaired and although an immediate improvement was noted the acceleration from standstill was still not as good as the diesel.

BigRuss 9th December 2018 10:04

Both VIS motors were working ok when I checked them on Friday ;)
There was nothing found that would have affected performance.

Think it's the move from having 160 diesel with plenty of torque to a 177 V6 that has a lot less.

Had another customer only a few weeks ago that had changed over to a V6 he doesn't like it at all compared to the diesel, and is considering selling it and going back to a diesel auto ;)

Russ

rrobson 9th December 2018 16:03

The kv6's love to Rev, don't be afraid to let the needle go over 4500 rpm. A 160bhp diesel will always be quicker under normal driving conditions, you buy a v6 for the the noise and the smoothness. However you don't buy them for the economy expect it to be about half you'll get out of the diesel because you've got to constantly floor it to get it to go.
The engines are much better suited to the zs's as I'm currently finding out

CivilSteve 9th December 2018 19:36

Comparing apples to oranges for the most part.

The CDT is a good low end torque producer (especially with the right map) but is just not a top end warrior topping out at about 150, below even the weakest of the 2.5 KV6s. However most town/motorway driving is done with lower throttle/rpm where the diesel shines. For a spirited B road sprint the KV6 would be much more rewarding and like others have said it's a much smoother engine.

If you drive it with a different approach you might find it more to your liking. I had a similar problem after buying my first ZR VVC, as I was still driving it like a diesel so was disappointed with the result. Going past 4k rpm soon fixed that

Brunty 9th December 2018 19:56

Between 5000 & 6500 rpm goes like stink and sounds like a formula 1 racing car. At around 3200 rpm vis motors kick in and you notice the engine note change. Below this performance is fine for every day driving.

For day to day around town driving I use my 1.8L Rover.

I do have a diesel company vehicle for work, very economical, but not as much fun nor comfort as my V6. Would not consider a diesel for private, low mileage use.

kaiser 11th December 2018 04:11

This has been discussed a number of times before.
In spite of all the humdrum, the V6 still is a disappointment, no torque. I noticed that the first time I drove one!

But why argue, you have plenty of Rovers there.

Arrange a duel! Let any V6 owner square up against, whatever. And record the event!

That should settle this, once and for all.

So: any takers??

hogweed 11th December 2018 23:22

This may be irrelevant, but when I got my first M3 back in 2005 (E36, 3.0) and floored it on the way home on a familiar bit of road, I was really disappointed – thought it was half dead, and was going to cost me a fortune to get sorted… then I noticed I was doing about 115 into a 70mph bend. Fortunately it had quite good brakes.

Despite a claimed 286bhp, the power delivery on that model is so flat (and so smooth) that you just don’t feel the acceleration. My next M3, a 320bhp Evo, felt exactly the same, but didn’t have too much bother reaching a clocked 155mph on the M5 at 3 in the morning.

The old tractor still feels like it’s accelerating faster, because of the turbo…