The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   No going back now....................... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=278066)

FLYING BANANA 16th May 2018 11:53

New home for me.

I have as of today signed up to rent my new home in Saltash. 2 bed roomed house. More details to follow once I have got over the shock of what I have just done.

I have given it a lot of thought about renting and have not been influenced by anyone else's views. I have naturally discussed the various options with Allen and Val, and listened to there replies. But I am 100% confident this is the right path for me to follow.

I have also got a further 3 viewings on Monday 22nd for my flat. So fingers crossed.

Dallas 16th May 2018 16:58

Congratulations Bob, I hope everything now becomes easier for you from this moment on. :}

Does your new home have a nice driveway for Rhubarb and Custard to sit proud? :D

mininuts 16th May 2018 18:16

Nice one Bob :}
If renting suits your situation then that's fine Bob.....as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Best wishes, hope all goes smoothly. Good luck for the viewings too :}

FLYING BANANA 16th May 2018 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2630720)
Congratulations Bob, I hope everything now becomes easier for you from this moment on. :}

Does your new home have a nice driveway for Rhubarb and Custard to sit proud? :D

3 cars fit in comfortably, side by side.

coolcat 17th May 2018 06:54

Congratulations Bob..........Will you be taking up surfing once you have moved?;):}:D

FLYING BANANA 17th May 2018 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat (Post 2630851)
Congratulations Bob..........Will you be taking up surfing once you have moved?;):}:D

In my present state the only surfing I'm doing is on the Internet.

You never know I may just take up boating, seeing as Allen has 5 of them.

coolcat 17th May 2018 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2630857)

A most pleasurable pastime if I do say so myself :};)

FLYING BANANA 17th May 2018 07:20

More viewings planned.................

............................ I'm now up to 4 viewings on Monday for my flat. I have emailed the agent letting them know what's going on down here. If the flat is not sold by the time I move then I'll be leaving the keys with them.

My head is still spinning from my decision. Just not sunk in yet.

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Mmmm!!!!!! The kippers are cooking.......

trikey 17th May 2018 12:14

Well done and good luck Bob 👍👍

RPWC 17th May 2018 13:57

Very pleased for you Bob, only down side is we wont get to meet up for a coffee etc, next time Im dropping off at Thurrock services. You have to think of yourself, and future proof yourself while you still can, which is why I’m st8ll hoping to go ahead with my new business venture this year. Hope to catch up with you somewhere this year.

Ratty 17th May 2018 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2630857)

After a few lessons Bob I may sell one to you :getmecoat:

reworht 17th May 2018 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 2630957)

Is this one of yours Allen?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4390/...da884278_b.jpgRATTY by Rod Thrower, on Flickr

FLYING BANANA 18th May 2018 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2631043)

Don't show him that otherwise he'll buy that.lol.

FLYING BANANA 18th May 2018 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2630948)
Very pleased for you Bob, only down side is we wont get to meet up for a coffee etc, next time Im dropping off at Thurrock services. You have to think of yourself, and future proof yourself while you still can, which is why I’m st8ll hoping to go ahead with my new business venture this year. Hope to catch up with you somewhere this year.

Well, if you ever venture this far down into the Southwest with either your tin snail or just in the car you'll know there will always be a warm welcome for you. After all you went out of your way to make me welcome when I came to Newcastle, so I can only offer you the same welcome.
Once I'm established down here I will come up and see you, and Roger, at some point for a beer, oh! I mean a coffee.

FLYING BANANA 18th May 2018 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 2630957)

Looking forward to going out on the river, once these ribs are better.

Now if I get a boat, and paint it Yellow, then I can call it the Floating Banana. Mmmmm!!!!!!

Snetty 18th May 2018 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2631135)
Looking forward to going out on the river, once these ribs are better.

Now if I get a boat, and paint it Yellow, then I can call it the Floating Banana. Mmmmm!!!!!!

Maybe the Banana Boat:D:D

Ratty 18th May 2018 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2631043)

Not just yet :}

RPWC 18th May 2018 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2631133)
Well, if you ever venture this far down into the Southwest with either your tin snail or just in the car you'll know there will always be a warm welcome for you. After all you went out of your way to make me welcome when I came to Newcastle, so I can only offer you the same welcome.
Once I'm established down here I will come up and see you, and Roger, at some point for a beer, oh! I mean a coffee.

Coffee? Pah! Beer yes!

FLYING BANANA 19th May 2018 08:52

They say moving is one of........................

................................................. The streeful things that you will ever do.
Well, I have to agree but I'm going to cope as best as I can.

I've sorted out the paperwork I need to take back with me on Tuesday to Saltash, just got to print off the bank statements required.

Phoned a couple of removal companies to come after the Bank holiday to give me estimates on moving. I know I could probably get a few mates and hire a large wagon but it's my stairs that are a problem. If after living here all my life I can fall up them, and I was sober, I would hate it if anyone fell down them helping me to move. Best left to the professionals.

Drawn up a list of whom I need to contact once a moving date is finalised.

Still loads of packing to be done, but I can get that done as I go along. Once I have the keys to the new house I can then shift some of the delicate stuff down on my own. No doubt I'll get some help.

RPWC 20th May 2018 10:31

If only I was nearer, I would have emptied the van and helped you.
Just the slight problem of 283 miles from me to you.
Thats to where you are now.:eek: And 416 miles to Saltash double :eek:

FLYING BANANA 20th May 2018 21:35

A Massive...................

.......................................Thank You for all the Good Wishes towards my move.
Means a lot, Thank You.

FLYING BANANA 21st May 2018 12:24

Another viewing booked for................................

.............................................. this evening at 7pm.

First viewing this morning at 9am was the estate agent from the East London branch. She brought her daughter and son in law to view. Very pleasant couple, roughly same age as the couple who live downstairs to me anyway.

Second viewing was at 10 am. Very nice couple. Asked lots of questions.

My 3rd viewing is at 2pm, next is at 6.30pm and the last at 7pm.

Tomorrow I'm back in Cornwall with the Bear.

FLYING BANANA 21st May 2018 18:26

Fingers crossed........................

3rd viewing showed more interest than anyone else. Lady is looking at getting her son his own flat. She will be in contact via the estate agent with a possible offer.

4th viewing. A young lad turned up with his step dad. Again lots of interest, they liked the loft area.

5th viewing was even more positive. Young couple expecting twins were even more keen. They are going to be in contact with the estate agents tomorrow. Plus the chap is a panel beater/paint sprayer and between them they own 5 BMW's. He was well impressed with the Bear and knows all about the V8's.

Graham1961 22nd May 2018 00:42

I will have to come down to visit you Bob when you get settled in.

FLYING BANANA 22nd May 2018 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham1961 (Post 2632192)
I will have to come down to visit you Bob when you get settled in.

You'll be most welcome Graham.

FLYING BANANA 22nd May 2018 15:31

Had a offer on the flat..............................

.................................................. .... And I have accepted the offer. No haggling as the mortgage they have is already in place. It's the couple that turned up at 7pm last night.

And I've signed the papers on my rental in Saltash this morning. Hope to be able to move in around about the 5/6th of June.

Teflon 22nd May 2018 15:51

Brilliant news Bob, onwards and upwards. Exciting times lie ahead I think. :}

Cliff

FLYING BANANA 24th May 2018 17:14

2nd offer been made............................

.......................................... On my flat today. Just had the estate agent contact me. They have a policy that they run both offers together to see who books a survey first. Then that is the person who gets the flat. The second offer is the same as the first. As long as it sells I'm not bothered who gets it.

RPWC 24th May 2018 17:37

Great news Bob, I'm very pleased for you. You deserve some good karma, after the trash and knocks you have taken of late, both with the fla, and your body.

FLYING BANANA 25th May 2018 15:33

Stage two now completed.

Just as I pulled up home, no.1 in Essex, my mobile rang. It was the rental agency in Saltash confirming the my 'new' home, no.2, is now mine. So will be back down next week to pay the final bit of dosh owed and collect keys.
Then I'll be able to get moved in.

Not sure how I feel at the moment, it's still not sunk in yet what is happening. But I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Either that or it's wind.

freddie 25th May 2018 15:57

Good news all round Bob things moving fast now.

HarryM1BYT 25th May 2018 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2633396)

Either that or it's wind.

You can get tablets for that ;)

Good luck, you deserve it! All down hill now..

Ratty 25th May 2018 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2633396)
Just as I pulled up home, no.1 in Essex, my mobile rang. It was the rental agency in Saltash confirming the my 'new' home, no.2, is now mine. So will be back down next week to pay the final bit of dosh owed and collect keys.
Then I'll be able to get moved in.

Not sure how I feel at the moment, it's still not sunk in yet what is happening. But I'm starting to get that excited feeling. Either that or it's wind.

It will sink in when we start putting your things in, & your cars parked outside.:}

FLYING BANANA 26th May 2018 19:13

Mine............

................................. Just had it confirmed that the house has a board outside saying "Let Agreed". I have a spy who reports back.

FLYING BANANA 29th May 2018 13:36

We have a moving date............................

........................................ Tuesday 12th June the removal men will be here and on the 13th I will be in my "new" home is Saltash.

The company moving me is Chelmsford Removals. The chap that comes round to have a look and to give you the estimate is the actual boss, James, of the company. He came out of the Army in the early part of 2000 and started the company up, and not looked back since. A very friendly man who immediately put me at ease. We looked in each room, including the loft and then into the garden where I discovered some low life has broken into my shed. More on that later.

James then took me through each stage of the operation, and I could feel the tension leaving me. Loading of the van will be a 3 man operation. Then two of the team return back to the base. The driver takes the van down towards Cornwall. He parks up in a secure yard on the route and nooks into a B&B. When he arrives at the house there will be another two man team from a local removal company. This part of the operation is called 'porterage', it's is a cheaper way to get the job done rather than having to pay for 3 to stay at a B&B.

Everything is fully insured, the company are bringing me another 20 boxes for me to pack stuff into. They have special mobile wardrobes so that any hanging garments can be safely hung up. They will dismantle any furniture that needs doing like my bed, drop leaf table and remove the front door to get the armchairs out. (( We had to take the two front doors off to get the chairs in)).
They will also empty the loft, so no climbing for me. And then they will take some of my plant pots from the garden.

Friday I'm back in Saltash, via Torquay, to pay the deposit and collect the keys. Then I need to order a nice shiny new washing machine. Plus I want to measure up as I want to get another bed upstairs plus a sofa/settee in the front room.
I'm stopping off at Matt n Shirley's to collect a front wing off of a 75. A friend of a friend who knows me wants a wing for a 75 that has had a wee shunt. So Banana Express is still operating. (Although it will be Redfive that is going).
I shall not shift the cars to the new house till I have moved in. The Bear is at Allens anyway it will only be Banana that I need to collect.

Then I have to be back at the flat on the 6th as the surveyor is coming in for the prospective buyers. Gives me a chance to catch my breath and get some packing done.

This is going to be one hell of an emotional wrench for me. As I will be leaving the flat I was born in, grew up in, with my Mum, Dad and big brother and later on with my late wife. I know it's only bricks and mortar, but still a wrench. I know that my memories are in my head and that I can take with me, memories that is, I've no choice regarding my head. I'll cry, I know I will. But it is for the best. This last fall I've had was the most serious, had the front door been shut then I would not be writing this.

The mini tour reports will continue.

actros 29th May 2018 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2634791)
........................................ Tuesday 12th June the romaval men will be here and on the 13th I will be in my "new" home is Saltash.

The company moving me is Chelmsford Removals. The chap that comes round to have a look and to give you the estimate is the actual boss, James, of the company. He came out of the Army in the early part of 2000 and started the company up, and not looked back since. A very friendly man who immediately put me at ease. We looked in each room, including the loft and then into the garden where I discovered some low life has broken into my shed. More on that later.

James then took me through each stage of the operation, and I could feel the tension leaving me. Loading of the van will be a 3 man operation. Then two of the team return back to the base. The driver takes the van down towards Cornwall. He parks up in a secure yard on the route and nooks into a B&B. When he arrives at the house there will be another two man team from a local removal company. This part of the operation is called 'porterage', it's is a cheaper way to get the job done rather than having to pay for 3 to stay at a B&B.

Everything is fully insured, the company are bringing me another 20 boxes for me to pack stuff into. They have special mobile wardrobes so that any hanging garments can be safely hung up. They will dismantle any furniture that needs doing like my bed, drop leaf table and remove the front door to get the armchairs out. (( We had to take the two front doors off to get the chairs in)).
They will also empty the loft, so no climbing for me. And then they will take some of my plant pots from the garden.

Friday I'm back in Saltash, via Torquay, to pay the deposit and collect the keys. Then I need to order a nice shiny new washing machine. Plus I want to measure up as I want to get another bed upstairs plus a sofa/settee in the front room.
I'm stopping off at Matt n Shirley's to collect a front wing off of a 75. A friend of a friend who knows me wants a wing for a 75 that has had a wee shunt. So Banana Express is still operating. (Although it will be Redfive that is going).
I shall not shift the cars to the new house till I have moved in. The Bear is at Allens anyway it will only be Banana that I need to collect.

Then I have to be back at the flat on the 6th as the surveyor is coming in for the prospective buyers. Gives me a chance to catch my breath and get some packing done.

This is going to be one hell of an emotional wrench for me. As I will be leaving the flat I was born in, grew up in, with my Mum, Dad and big brother and later on with my late wife. I know it's only bricks and mortar, but still a wrench. I know that my memories are in my head and that I can take with me, memories that is, I've no choice regarding my head. I'll cry, I know I will. But it is for the best. This last fall I've had was the most serious, had the front door been shut then I would not be writing this.

The mini tour reports will continue.

All the best in the move Bob and take care and enjoy your new life.

FLYING BANANA 29th May 2018 13:44

The shed....................

................................ That was broken into is a galvanised one and has been standing for about 3 years. There is a padlock on but the mounting on the shed has been wrenched/levered off. Then the door pushed back into place thus looking like it is still shut up ok. However some garden tools are missing, and this has done me a favour. Less to move now. None of the garden tools were new. Most belonged to my late Dad.

I'll not be needing much in the way of tools in the new house as there are no plants in the back garden just hedgerow on 3 sides and the garden is laid to lawn. There is stepping stone type path. Out the front there is a very small area with a postage stamp of grass. The alley at the side is concrete.
I do have a shed but I'll only keep the barest of items in there.

RPWC 29th May 2018 15:49

Good luck with the move Bob , and enjoy your new surroundings. Yes you are leaving memories behind, but you will create new ones once you have been there a while. ;)

Ratty 29th May 2018 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2634795)
................................ That was broken into is a galvanised one and has been standing for about 3 years. There is a padlock on but the mounting on the shed has been wrenched/levered off. Then the door pushed back into place thus looking like it is still shut up ok. However some garden tools are missing, and this has done me a favour. Less to move now. None of the garden tools were new. Most belonged to my late Dad.

I'll not be needing much in the way of tools in the new house as there are no plants in the back garden just hedgerow on 3 sides and the garden is laid to lawn. There is stepping stone type path. Out the front there is a very small area with a postage stamp of grass. The alley at the side is concrete.
I do have a shed but I'll only keep the barest of items in there.

I have to many garden tools so if you want some no probs.:getmecoat:

FLYING BANANA 30th May 2018 18:31

Been to the solicitors...........................

.................................... As recommended by the estate agents. I phoned to make an appointment today as I had a query on the paperwork that they sent me.
I found the car park in the town ok, Billericay in Essex, and parked Banana up. A traffic warden came breezing over quite rapidly, I though give me a chance to buy a ticket. But no, he came over to pay me a compliment on Banana. "Stunning car, never seen one like this before. I had one in Trophy Blue, lovely car but had the perishing K series engine. It gushed it's water out everywhere. Had to scrap it, too expensive to repair". And that was all in one breath.

He pointed me in the direction of the pay and display machine, £1 for two hours. Not as cheap as the car park in Looe, £1 for two hours. I'm learning the 'Cornish' way.
I presented myself at the solicitors at 10am. Oh! My! The solicitor was stunning, oops!!!!! Wrong thoughts.
She shook my hand and ushered me into her office. Where she immediately put me at ease, just like the man from the removal company yesterday. She made sure I had brought all the papers she wanted, buzzed the assistant in and gave her the papers to phot copy. And the assistant asked me I would like a tea or coffee. Coffee please, no milk or sugar please.

She returned with my papers and my coffee in a mug and a plate of biscuits. The solicitor also had a mug of coffee and she turned to me and said, "Tuck into the biscuits before I nosh the lot". I wasn't expecting that.
With all the paperwork filled out it was time for me to leave, and my debit card was a bit lighter as well.
I returned to Banana feeling very happy. That's another hurdle completed.

I drove home via Michaels to swap the cars over. Now home with Redfive.
I'm getting there gradually. Still not getting excited though.

FLYING BANANA 31st May 2018 20:18

First hiccup.........................

....................................... Thought it was all going too well. I was under the impression that I could collect the keys to the house but it seems I cannot collect them till the the 11th, and I'm moving out of the flat on the 12th. So now after the van is loaded I have to fly down to the estate agents to get the keys. As the removal lorry will be at the house on the 13th.

They say that house moving is the most stressful thing you will ever have in your life, with the exception of giving birth, and there's no chance of that.
I'm still going down as arranged tomorrow but will come back on Monday instead.
I need a rest. Stressed? Who me? Pass the malt.

On the plus side I have been in contact with various organisations about the change of address. Most I have either phoned or have contacted people by Internet. Only two have I had to write to, both pension companies. Still have to contact the DVLA about my driving licence and car registration. There are a few that can only be contacted on the day I move. But on the plus side, I contacted my car insurance, Lancaster, and told them about change of address.
I got a rebate on all 3 cars. Then the lady said that the company would waive the administration charge, only £30 a car, as I'm a very good customer. So £90 saved and money coming back.

And I have written to all my friends who I cannot contact via email. Typed out a note to put in the envelops and then the printer ran out of ink, so I hand wrote out all the envelopes. I now have writers cramp.

Pass the malt.

FLYING BANANA 1st June 2018 17:59

All sorted now.

Finally sorted the key issue out. Allen will collect the keys on the 12th. Just me having a panic.

It's finally sinking in now. Cornwall will be my home in 12 days time.

actros 1st June 2018 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2636067)
Finally sorted the key issue out. Allen will collect the keys on the 12th. Just me having a panic.

It's finally sinking in now. Cornwall will be my home in 12 days time.

Hi Bob i hope everything goes well mate and enjoy your new home.

FLYING BANANA 1st June 2018 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by actros (Post 2636109)
Hi Bob i hope everything goes well mate and enjoy your new home.

Thank you Brian. I'll send you my address, in case you fancy a day trip. OK, a weekend then.

Graham1961 1st June 2018 22:35

All the best with the move Bob.

I am sure you will love Cornwall, it looks a lovely place to live.

coolguy 2nd June 2018 10:11

I have holidayed in Cornwall for over 30 years, spending at least a year in total, and love the place. I am sure you will too. It has a totally different pace of life to anywhere else in England.

Nev The Bear 2nd June 2018 17:23

Good luck with everything Bob.

Cornwall is an amzing place, Kirsty and I jave neen to Cornwall on holiday and few times in the past and we even went to Lands End.

FLYING BANANA 4th June 2018 07:14

8 days to go .....................

..................................... And I'll be living here permanently, no longer a visitor but a resident. There is still a lot to do before then though. Off to the letting agents today, app 4pm, to pay deposit plus one months rent up front and the last of the administration charges. Allen will collect the keys on my behalf next week

actros 4th June 2018 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2636925)
..................................... And I'll be living here permanently, no longer a visitor but a resident. There is still a lot to do before then though. Off to the letting agents today, app 4pm, to pay deposit plus one months rent up front and the last of the administration charges. Allen will collect the keys on my behalf next week

Bob dont forget your visa and pastport. :D:D

FLYING BANANA 4th June 2018 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by actros (Post 2636964)
Bob dont forget your visa and pastport. :D:D

I've had me pasty and cider injections. Gradually learning the lingo. Need to get Cornish flag fitted on the cars.

RPWC 4th June 2018 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2636983)
I've had me pasty and cider injections. Gradually learning the lingo. Need to get Cornish flag fitted on the cars.

Just found out I have a friend I got to know from a village we holidayed in each year, in Yorks Dales only lives 20 mins from you Bob, in Millbrook. Another reason for me to visit Cornwall

FLYING BANANA 4th June 2018 16:24

Deposit paid...................

......................................... Plus one month's rent up front and the administration charges paid for. Keys will be collected along with masses of paperwork by Allen next Tuesday.
I'm starting to get excited now, I think it's excitement or a medical problem.

"No going back now........................."

FLYING BANANA 6th June 2018 11:01

Surveyor.......................

......................................... For the buyers arrived on time. Nice chap, he wandered about making notes. He then asked me some questions, to which he already had the answers, just checking to see if my answers were the same as his.

With him gone I carried on packing. Got the bedroom done, pictures all down just need to bubble wrap them along with all the others.

Ratty 6th June 2018 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2636988)
Just found out I have a friend I got to know from a village we holidayed in each year, in Yorks Dales only lives 20 mins from you Bob, in Millbrook. Another reason for me to visit Cornwall

We drive through Millbrook to get to the MT Edgcumbe meet on August 5th.

FLYING BANANA 7th June 2018 20:47

All packed.............................

.................................... Up in the flat. Just got the garden to sort out in the morning. Then off to the tip on Saturday to get rid of the rubbish.

Ratty 8th June 2018 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2638018)
.................................... Up in the flat. Just got the garden to sort out in the morning. Then off to the tip on Saturday to get rid of the rubbish.

Soon be Tuesday :}

FLYING BANANA 9th June 2018 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 2638369)
Soon be Tuesday :}

And yet it still has not sunk in. Even with all the packing done. It feels like I'm having the flat totally re-decorated and I'm moving everything out and into storage till all the work is done then I'll be moving back in. Not sure where I'll be staying, over at Michaels I assume.

But I'm not having second thoughts as I know I have to move for my own safety, I cannot afford to keep tripping up or down these stairs. I'm still suffering, silently, from the last fall. But I expect that once I'm in the house and made my first pot of tea the reality will sink in.
I know that on Tuesday the memories will be rolling down cheeks. All the good times will outweigh the bad times.

See you Tuesday Allen. Have the kettle on.

FLYING BANANA 9th June 2018 08:48

Been to the tip.............

.................................................. ..... with a car full. I slide the passenger seat forward and slotted the spare wheel in the space. Then got the rear seats folded down and preceded to load the Bear up. Got all the old tins of paint out of the loft and in they went. All the rubbish that I could move out of the garden and that went in as well. Various other bits and pieces I found when sorting out the flat and they went in too.

She was well loaded and you could smell the dampness in the wood along with that distinctive smell of cat wee. But we roared off to the tip where the Bear always gets a bit of attention. I'm always being asked, "Where's the Flying Banana these days?" I usually answer, "She is resting."
Reversed the Bear up and started unloading, " ere mate can you open the bonnet I wanna show my mate your engine." Said one of the workers. Needless to say one the bonnet was open the place came to a halt.

Once unloaded and the bonnet shut we left as quietly as I could. Lots of potholes and speed humps so not really able roar away, well not till I can get on the open road.
Once home and the dust and bits swept out, seats back up, spare wheel back in the boot and the load cover back in place. Time for a coffee before getting the last of the pictures bubble wrapped.

Off over to North London to get Banana started up and take for a wee run. Then return her to the driveway. She'll stay there till Allen and I return in Redfive to collect her. Then we'll have all 3 safely parked up together. And that will be for the first time since I bought Redfive back in February.

Still not excited.

v-man 11th June 2018 16:32

Some good news in the last couple of pages Bob.

So, are the buyers the couple expecting twins? If so maybe it is fate that your home will be the home of a fellow car enthusiast.

Never been to Cornwall, but have holidayed in the south west a good many times and have found the scenery stunning and locals welcoming.

FLYING BANANA 11th June 2018 19:47

My last full day in.......................

........................................... Barkingside has seen me tearing round like a blue ***** fly. First port of call this morning was the Post Office to send a couple of parcels off of photo's. I found countless photo's, as no doubt you can imagine, of friends or in this case ex-friends. But rather than destroying them I sent them off, let people know of some of the good times. Do not think for one moment I want to get back with them as I do not, and never will.

Then into the bank to give them my new address and phone number. I forgot to draw some cash. But toddled off home. Next job was to find the door keys and drop them off at the estate agents, unfortunately I appear to have packed most of them away. Oh! Well they cannot be far. The estate agents gave me the news that the next stage has moved a step forward. The mortgage has been approved.

Then home again for a shower and a change of clothes, yes I kept some out. I had a couple of very special people coming over to see me, and they wanted to say goodbye to the flat. I was meeting my brother in law and neice at Fairlop station then we was going for lunch. I checked my emails and found one that I needed to print off and sign and return it back to the estate agents plus I also needed to get some cash out at the bank. Managed to get those two jobs done before Michael phoned to say that they was at Leytonstone station and would be with me within 15 minutes.

So with the Bear we went off to meet them. Laura and Michael were waiting for me when I got at the station. We then drove to the Dick Turpin pub in Alderborough Hatch, a Miller & Carter house. This pub is steeped in history. And for me has very special memories with my Val, for this is the pub where she proposed to me. Straight out of the blue she said, "Fancy another beer, oh! And will you marry me?" The answer was yes to the beer, and as for the second question, the obvious answer was a great big YES.

The food in the pub was outstanding. Beautifully cooked, desserts were to die for. I listened to Michael and Laura chatting about the "Kimberly Rule", all to do with the various diamond markets. The firm that Michael does part time work for are diamond specialists, and Laura's firm specialised in gold with diamonds. A very interesting insight into the gold and diamond markets. I was very interested to listen although they both thought I looked bored.
Laura and Michael then gave me a housewarming present, and guess what it ain't a Banana themed toy. It's a gnome not even holding a Banana.

Laura insisted on picking up the bill. Bless her. We then returned to the Bear then back to the flat for tea. We chatted about the good times spent at the flat when Val was alive. The memories came rolling down my cheeks. I left the room to get myself together. Laura brought me a tissue and gave me a big hug. We both ended up crying. Michael? Oh! He was asleep in the chair. I made more tea and Michael apologised for nodding off.
I then decided to give Laura a envelope that contains something very special, I was saving it till she married her boyfriend Ollie. But I said she was not to open the envelope till she was with Ollie. I said it was just a small gift for them to help setting up home. It's the least I can do for a very special lady in my life.

With more tears from Laura, in between trying to say thank you. Michael was wanting more tea, nothing knocks Michael off of track. Got to get his priorities right.
Then it was time for them to leave, I offered to take them home. But they insisted that Fairlop was fine. We climbed into the Bear and off we roared.
At the station we all got out to say our goodbye's, a firm handshake from Michael and good wishes for the future.
Another hug from Laura, except she did not want to let me go. She cried and said how much she missed her Aunt, our Val. With tears rolling down our cheeks we parted.

I'm now at home with a large Glenmorangie thinking about the day, thinking about the memories, thinking about the future. I know I have done the right thing, should have done it earlier.
Another malt? Oh! Go on then.
And No going back now..................

FLYING BANANA 12th June 2018 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 2639162)
Some good news in the last couple of pages Bob.

So, are the buyers the couple expecting twins? If so maybe it is fate that your home will be the home of a fellow car enthusiast.

Never been to Cornwall, but have holidayed in the south west a good many times and have found the scenery stunning and locals welcoming.

Mrs Ahmed is buying the flat, and expecting the twins, along with her Boyfriend.
They are BMW owners, well nobody is perfect.

Come to Cornwall then, nothing to stop you. If needed I'll chuck a pasty under your wheels to slow you down.

FLYING BANANA 12th June 2018 21:17

A very emotional day, but...................

............................................... We are here in Saltash.

The removal company turned up on time. The guys were fantastic and they had the flat cleared and the truck loaded in just under 4 hours. And they had two tea breaks. My very good friend Emma, Emm's who makes the cushions, came over early. As the chaps cleared each room she was in dusting, vacuuming and steam cleaning the floor.

I was just going to take the personal stuff with me, well that did not quiet go to plan and the Bear ended up fully loaded with everything possible. We got a 2nd vacuum cleaner in along with mugs and the kettle plus a quilt with matching pillows. Most of the Bears oils, filters and brake pipes went in. Her spare brake disc's went into the truck.

The weather stayed dry right up till the last potted plant went into the truck then it started to rain not much.
With the truck loaded and the crew off on their separate ways. Craig the driver was bringing the truck down. The two porters were returning to the depot in there little van.
And it was goodbye's to Emma, she cried. But we then had a good laugh, especially when a bus went past and I shouted out, "Goodbye bus".

Allen & Val collected the keys for me today and the paperwork.
So this evening we went up to the house and emptied the contents of the Bear into my new home. Think we woke the neighbour's up with the arrival of the Bear.
With the car unloaded, Allen turned the water on and got the boiler fired up. Plus Allen showed me how the gas cooker worked.
As we left I collected all my re-directed post.

No going back now....................

v-man 12th June 2018 22:22

Glad you had a safe trip down Bob.

Seems you picked a good removals firm, did you read all the reviews they have on Which? Trusted Traders before you decided to go with them?

https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/b...ovals/#reviews

FLYING BANANA 12th June 2018 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 2639627)
Glad you had a safe trip down Bob.

Seems you picked a good removals firm, did you read all the reviews they have on Which? Trusted Traders before you decided to go with them?

https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/b...ovals/#reviews

I went solely on a friend's recommendation. I will happily recommend them to anyone. And I've met the owner along the way.

Gate Keeper 13th June 2018 05:22

Good morning Bob, welcome to the new day. How are you?

FLYING BANANA 13th June 2018 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2639661)
Good morning Bob, welcome to the new day. How are you?

Good morning Phil, today seems to be like any other day when I'm on my Hollie wollies. Nice sleep and sitting here with a cuppa whilst Allen cooks breakfast. Still has not really sunk in yet.

It seemed strange leaving the flat yesterday, felt like it was a dream. I have never seen the place empty. The only time a room had nothing in it was when it was being decorated. All a bit of a haze till I get settled in today, then I expect it will all then sink in being surrounded by all of my things rather than other people's stuff.

Hope you and Jessica are well.

elroy 13th June 2018 06:14

all the very best to you Bob in your new home, have a great day everyday :}

3disco 13th June 2018 12:36

Hi Bob,welcome to the West Country.:}

The Rovering Member 13th June 2018 14:29

Good for you, Bob. Cornwall is a lovely part of the world.
We're still in the house l grew up in & for me it would be strange to leave it l can imagine, but perhaps one day.
All the best to you down there.

v-man 13th June 2018 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rovering Member (Post 2639774)
Good for you, Bob. Cornwall is a lovely part of the world.
We're still in the house l grew up in & for me it would be strange to leave it l can imagine, but perhaps one day.

Sounds familiar, been in same on since I was 2 years old or so and that was the very early 70's.

Some days when next door neighbour's kids are causing chaos and noise I think I'd like to move, but then it goes quiet and the feeling subsides.

FLYING BANANA 14th June 2018 19:48

I moved to get away from the stairs.................

.................................................. . My word have I been up and down my new one so much my legs no longer belong to me.

On Wednesday Allen and I met up with Craig and his truck. The additional porter was also present. And with Allen and I helping, Val was sorting out the kitchen, the truck was unloaded in 90 minutes flat. Both my beds had been re-assembled in that time. Only one casualty, and it had to be the box that carried the 150 year old none China tea set. But the tea set survived just the box lid was broken.

Craig was soon on his way back to Chelmsford in Essex, dunno where that is. Val was off to her Aunts leaving Allen and I to unpack. And unpack we did, by the time Val returned we had unpacked about three quarters of the boxes. After yet another pot of tea Val insisted that I went back to there house for my evening meal. I was very greatfull for the offer. Val then returned back to her home to start dinner. Allen and I tidied up before setting off in Redfive towards dinner.

After a cracking dinner and dessert I was told to chill out for awhile before returning to my new home. Chilled out I collected all my stuff that I had left behind the previous day. Val, bless her had even done my washing. Then Allen said I was to return on Thursday morning to have my breakfast. I had not done any shopping yet.
I returned my new home, I cannot explain the feelings I have. Very hard to explain. Am I happy with what I have done? Or am I regretting it?

Lousy nights sleep, but I dragged myself out of bed. Every bone, muscle and every fibre of my body ached. Got into the shower and gradually I could feed some of the stress draining away. Out of the shower and dressed. Made a pot of tea, once I had found where Val had packed things away. Then I went back to unpacking boxes. By the time came round to go to Allen n Val's for breakfast I had got another 4 boxes done.
With Redfive I went for my excellent prepared by Allen. Alas Val had to go to her Aunts after an emergency call.
With breakfast demolished and we had cleared up Allen came back with me to the house. Except we had forgotten the hedge trimmer.

So I gave the keys of ole Red to Allen for him to return back to his place to get what was needed. I was now phoning round to get signed up to Britis Gas, Southern Water, Cornwall County Council about my community tax and checking on the TV licence. Plus I needed to contact Npower about my meter readings from my old home.
With my debit card now sulking, Allen was back. And he started in the back garden and I was unpacking even more.

To be continued..........................

FLYING BANANA 15th June 2018 19:21

3 days in.............l......

.................................. Most of the unpacking done, just waiting on Matt to return to me the boxes he has kindly stored for me. Yesterday we went curtain shopping, Val came as well, we ended up at Dunelm's in Plymouth. Got all my curtains plus a new rubbish bin. That was another £200 plus spent. I had already bought a load of shopping in Aldi's, £120's worth.

Today Allen brought his lawnmower, rake, electric hedge trimmer, pick-axe, boots, heavy duty gloves and a pair of jeans. First job was for Allen to mow the lawn and rake it. He then gave the hedges in the garden a quick trim.
Then we started on the front. The boxed privet hedge by the front door was given the "Debbie Cut", if you have seen my haircut you'll understand. Whilst Allen was using the hedge trimmer I set about clearing the weeds away done the side of the house. I was using a 'Spear & Jackson' hoe. Make short work of that.

Allen got me to move the cars so that he and I could set about the ivy, brambles and tree that borders my parking area. Well, in the 4 hours that we worked we cleared a huge space. I can now reverse the cars right up to the fence, before my front wheels were over the dividing Mark. Now they sit behind that line by about 2 feet.
I had brought a Redbridge council garden refuse bag with me from the flat, huge bag, takes a lot to fill it up. You cannot move it though. We'll get the greenery away tomorrow.

After yet another cup of tea Allen left me and went home. He had a chap coming around to his house to price up some paving Allen wants done. Meanwhile I was waiting for a plumber to come out to fix my leaking stopcock. The letting agents were aware about it, but they never told us about it till we saw a puddle forming on the floor.
The plumber would be with me between 15.00 and 18.00. So whilst I was waiting I started sorting out a few boxes with stationary items in. Plus tidying up the draws in the pine unit.
The plumber finally turned up at 17.50, and he was not able to fix the leak as he did mot have the correct size stopcock on board.

So more waiting for a new stopcock. I gave a tray under the leak to catch the water. Dinner time I think, luckily I had a 'ding' dinner, rarely do I use my microwave to cook a dinner but needs must.
Ate my dinner and washed up. Chilling out time with a beer, might watch a bit of the 23 fellas chasing a bag of wind about.
When a knock on the front door came, it was Allen with my washing that Val had done for and she had ironed it as well. Allen stayed and had a beer before walking back to his house.

Allen is back in the morning, we are going to get some of the garden rubbish away. Then I need a few more bits as well.
I have Matt n Shirley coming in the afternoon along with Allen and Val, might even get to see Debbie.

Many thanks for the "New Home" cards, plus the pm's and text messages. It is very much appreciated. Thank You All.

No going back now...............

FLYING BANANA 16th June 2018 20:10

Curtains up and.....................

................................. Model car collection back with me.

Slept well and woke up to see it raining. Meant the bag of garden rubbish would be a pain to move. So after breakfast, cereal again, I put together a shopping list. Got all the rubbish ready, including a few empty bottles. Quite a bit of cardboard to go as well. Made another cuppa just as the postman arrived, so I sat down and read my mail, and another "Welcome to your new home" card.

Just washed up when Allen and Val arrived, they had come round to put my curtains up. Upstairs was not a problem only two windows wanting new curtains. The spare room has an old set up. Not bothered about that.
The downstairs French windows were a bit of a pain. The wooden pole was filthy, another minus point for the letting agents. There are racking up. We knew the curtains would be too long, so Val is going to bring her machine round to shorten them.

So after another mug of tea my guests left as they had shopping to be done but said they would come back in the afternoon when Matt and Shirley would be here.
I loaded Redfive up with the rubbish and off to the tip I went, then I would pop into 'B&M's' to get some shopping. Only trouble was when I got to the tip I remembered I had left my shopping list plus bags back at the house. So once the rubbish was sorted I returned to the house to collect the forgotten items.

Into 'B&M's' and done my shopping, incoming text message from Matt telling me that they would be with me by 2pm. So shopping paid for and home we went. Put everything away and hot on with some vital paperwork and it was still raining, but it was summer rain, it's warmer. The time soon zoomed by and Matt n Shirley was here. And they brought me a house warming present, a clock with a funny logo plus another card to add to the mantelpiece. Kettle on, tea made and we sat and chatted. Then Allen and Val came in. More tea then!

With Allen, Matt and I we unloaded Grovey, another 14 boxes to be unpacked, mainly my model collection. For the first time since I bought them I would be able to get my Rolls-Royce collection put on display. Once done then we had another cuppa and sat and chatted. I showed everyone my wild cat photo album, pictures of the cats at Smarden Wildlife centre in Smarden Kent. ( A good day out but a wee bit expensive but worth it). Then my visitors had to go. I thanked Matt nShirley for storing my boxes plus my present. I might see Allen tomorrow.

After my dinner I set about getting the models out of there boxes and out onto display. With 21 Rollers on display plus a few other cars I decided to stop till tomorrow. Plenty of time to get everything out and I was feeling somewhat tired. So I'm now chillin' out with a pint of "Golden Hen" the Speckled Hen's little sister.

No going back now.........................

RPWC 16th June 2018 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2640788)
................................. Model car collection back with me.

Slept well and woke up to see it raining. Meant the bag of garden rubbish would be a pain to move. So after breakfast, cereal again, I put together a shopping list. Got all the rubbish ready, including a few empty bottles. Quite a bit of cardboard to go as well. Made another cuppa just as the postman arrived, so I sat down and read my mail, and another "Welcome to your new home" card.

Just washed up when Allen and Val arrived, they had come round to put my curtains up. Upstairs was not a problem only two windows wanting new curtains. The spare room has an old set up. Not bothered about that.
The downstairs French windows were a bit of a pain. The wooden pole was filthy, another minus point for the letting agents. There are racking up. We knew the curtains would be too long, so Val is going to bring her machine round to shorten them.

So after another mug of tea my guests left as they had shopping to be done but said they would come back in the afternoon when Matt and Shirley would be here.
I loaded Redfive up with the rubbish and off to the tip I went, then I would pop into 'B&M's' to get some shopping. Only trouble was when I got to the tip I remembered I had left my shopping list plus bags back at the house. So once the rubbish was sorted I returned to the house to collect the forgotten items.

Into 'B&M's' and done my shopping, incoming text message from Matt telling me that they would be with me by 2pm. So shopping paid for and home we went. Put everything away and hot on with some vital paperwork and it was still raining, but it was summer rain, it's warmer. The time soon zoomed by and Matt n Shirley was here. And they brought me a house warming present, a clock with a funny logo plus another card to add to the mantelpiece. Kettle on, tea made and we sat and chatted. Then Allen and Val came in. More tea then!

With Allen, Matt and I we unloaded Grovey, another 14 boxes to be unpacked, mainly my model collection. For the first time since I bought them I would be able to get my Rolls-Royce collection put on display. Once done then we had another cuppa and sat and chatted. I showed everyone my wild cat photo album, pictures of the cats at Smarden Wildlife centre in Smarden Kent. ( A good day out but a wee bit expensive but worth it). Then my visitors had to go. I thanked Matt nShirley for storing my boxes plus my present. I might see Allen tomorrow.

After my dinner I set about getting the models out of there boxes and out onto display. With 21 Rollers on display plus a few other cars I decided to stop till tomorrow. Plenty of time to get everything out and I was feeling somewhat tired. So I'm now chillin' out with a pint of "Golden Hen" the Speckled Hen's little sister.

No going back now.........................

I am having a bottle of Ruddle's Best tonight, but have a bottle of "Crafty Hen "for tomorrow.

FLYING BANANA 17th June 2018 16:47

Well at least the smoke alarm works..................

............................................. Don't know what the cleaners cleaned the grill with but flippin' 'eck, I never used to see that much smoke when I used to cremate the toast back at the flat.

Had another good nights kip. So after breakfast, cereal again. The model car collection needed unpacking. Got the Rolls-Royce collection, 21 cars, put out. Other than the MG collection everything else is in the lounge. There are few cars that need a bit of TLC. Even one of the Pocher Lamborghini's needs work.

Took me something 6 hours to sort everything out, and another 6 empty boxes are now stacked away in the shed. There are 3 boxes that have the empty model boxes in. One box contains spares or repairs.
I still have six 1/12th scale Jaguar XJ220's to get out to show. There are 3 out already including the East Midlands Police Car. There is another one of those, plus a Scottish Police car, the district escapes me but it is a Limited edition complete with certificate.
There is also a competition version, in Yellow. 3 more cars in plain colours and a further one which is in kit form.

Dinner time loomed up. Now you must understand that since 1982 I have only ever used a electric cooker at the flat. After we lost Dad my Mum wanted a electric cooker. Then when Val moved in she was happy to keep using the electric one. We even bought a new one, never liked this one.
After Val passed away I persevered with the perishing thing. Had the grill repaired twice and the oven once, element problems.
I let the insurance lapse as I intended to replace the cooker.

It knew what I had done 'cos the oven packed up completely. The grill and hot plates worked ok still. So I bought a halogen cooker to replace the non-working oven. Jan Goldson, Ian's better half, had one and loved it. You could cook anything in it. Very true, I cooked a roast, meat, taters and veg.
But now the halogen is redundant as I have a gas cooker with a nice oven to use.
Hence the smoke alarm going off when I used the grill. Ended up with the kitchen window and the front door open to dissipate the smoke.

Still dinner was nice. Chillin' with a beer now.

No going back now...........................

FLYING BANANA 19th June 2018 16:20

One week ago...................

5 Attachment(s)
........................................... the van was loaded up and we was on our way to a new life.

Yesterday Allen and I got rid of the garden rubbish to the tip. We used the Bear as you can get more in. It took 3 trips to clear what we had cut down the previous day.

Today the carpenter came in and sorted out the kitchen so that my fridge freezer would fit in. He had to shave 30mm off of the unit so that it would fit. Well both Allen and I think he made a blinding job.
Now waiting on the plumber to come and fit a stop **** under the sink.

I have been out to post some letters and whilst out had a read up on the bus timetables. Been busy again today, lots of phone calls about change of address, all done barring one.
Allen popped in on his way round and fitted my wooden surround mirror up. I put up two clocks and re-framed one of my photo's.
Shredded loads of papers with my new machine from Aldi's.
Been out and put some weedkiller down.

And now some photo's.

FLYING BANANA 19th June 2018 16:22

4 Attachment(s)
More photo's from the house.

FLYING BANANA 19th June 2018 16:25

1 Attachment(s)
.................................... and to replace our Aet Deco Carrier bag!!!!!

FLYING BANANA 21st June 2018 07:23

One week into my new life.....................

.................................................. Have I done the right thing?

Well, yes I have done the right thing, and should have done it a few years back. But, there's always a but. But I could not move away from my flat or so I thought. What would my emotions be like if I ever went back?
Well after returning to the flat in Barkingside yesterday there was no emotions no tears and no sorrow.

So I have done the right thing. I still have my memories, my photo's and best of all my friends. I have loads of cards welcoming me to my new pad, and phone calls from as far away as Tayside North of the Border, (that is between England and Scotland, and not between Devon and Cornwall).

I now have my 3 cars parked up outside my front door. No chance of that happening in Barkingside. I can see to the far distant hills, across the Tamar valley and over to Dartmoor, I could barely see across the Roding Vally back in Essex because of the pollution haze. Some people dream of living next door to a pub, well my back garden here backs onto my local, but in the last week I've only been in once.

I'm happy now, a lot happier than I have been for a very long time. Here's to hoping the long shadows of depression are lifting away. Here's to the future.
Thank you all for your support and kindness.

MSS 21st June 2018 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2642247)

I now have my 3 cars parked up outside my front door. No chance of that happening in Barkingside. I can see to the far distant hills, across the Tamar valley and over to Dartmoor, I could barely see across the Roding Vally back in Essex because of the pollution haze. Some people dream of living next door to a pub, well my back garden here backs onto my local, but in the last week I've only been in once.

I'm happy now, a lot happier than I have been for a very long time. Here's to hoping the long shadows of depression are lifting away. Here's to the future.

Enjoy your new life in Cornwall. We spent a few days not far from Saltash a few years back - it's a beautiful area. Cothele House is one of the places we visited in the Tamar Valley.

RPWC 21st June 2018 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2642247)

Its just returning what you have given us over the years Bob .

FLYING BANANA 22nd June 2018 17:21

What a small world we .............................

............................................ Live in.

Allen came round this morning, I forgot he was coming, so he caught me on the hop. But I was soon ready, gathered up my paperwork and we was off. Well, poor old Redfive had been the victim of the 633 squadron bombing run. Those lovable pesky seagulls had left there mark all over her bonnet. I never gave it a thought but she parks under the telephone cables plus there is a pole as well.

Oh! Well, I'll treat her to a wash later on. Our first port of call was the doctors where I needed to register. Spoke to the receptionist who gave me 2 forms to fill out. I had taken a list of my tablets plus info on the medical centre I was with.
Filled out the form and gave them back to the receptionist who said, "Barkingside is where I was born, I see you was in Fullwell, well I lived in Berkley Avenue". No way, well we had a chat about Barkingside. The receptionist has lived in Saltash for the last 14 years. What a small world.

Once out of there next stop was the estate agents, we had a bill for them. Allen had bought and fitted two screw in plugs on the u bend under the kitchen sink. After the removal of the dishwasher and washing machine by the previous owner, but they had not put the plugs in, needless to say my kitchen had been flooded.
Whilst there we had a chat about a few things but everything will be resolved.

Next stop was the library to register for my recycling bags and to get my residents discount card. That gets me 5p a litre off of my fuel plus various shops in town take the discount card. But the library was shut on a Friday and Wednesday. Never mind I can come back tomorrow or Monday.
Allen said to go back to his place for a cuppa and I could wash Redfive. So we drove back to find Val doing her ironing. So after a cuppa we set about washing the muck off.

Dunno what that seagull had eaten but it certainly left it's Mark, but thanks to Allen's determination the spoils were completely removed. With Redgive gleaming in the sunlight. It was the turn of a grubby Ratty. We soon had the 75 clean again.
Then it was lunchtime, so with Allen cooking and me making the tea we got the food ready. Val sat down with us as well. We had a chat about the other things I needed to get done.

So off we went, after lunch, to the retail park at Marsh Mills. Where both Allen, Val and I bought two washing machines from Curry's. Free delivery and we are fitting them ourselves. Mine is being delivered next Wednesday and Allen n Val's on the following Friday, I had taken the last delivery slot for the Wednesday.
With the money paid we had a look at the cameras, might treat myself to a new Nikon. Allen had a look around the computers.

Next shop we went into was Homebase for I wanted some caster caps to go on the bottoms of my chair legs. We had a wander before returning to a gleaming Redfive in the car park.

To be continued as my dinner is ready............

FLYING BANANA 22nd June 2018 18:12

It is going to be hard...................

..................................... Convincing myself this is now where I live, this is now my home. I keep thinking it's only a holiday as I want to go to as many places as I can in the next week before returning to Barkingside.

After we left Marsh Mills and headed back to Saltash there was another job to be done. To register for my Tamar bridge tag. The bridge toll is only paid as you leave the county, free to get in though. So with Val lapping up the sunshine sitting on a seat overlooking the Tamar, Allen and I went into the new plush offices to register. Yet another form to fill in but with my £50 deposit paid I now had two tags. One for Banana and the other for Redfive. The Bear will rarely leave Cornwall, should she do so I can always "borrow" one from either car.

We walked back to find Val topping up her tan. We sat and chatted, Allen told me of his exploits when he was younger. Missing the ferry home after a few pints would find Allen walking back across the Tamar on the railway bridge or "borrowing" a rowing boat and travelling that way home. You only had to row back the next day and leave the rowing boat roughly where you had found it.

Then we drove back to my house for tea and for Val to see what we had a achieved in the last 7 days. Val was happy with the way the kitchen now looked. Will look even better once the washing machine is in. Tea drunk it was time for Allen n Val to return home, it's Val's bingo night. Allen had brought Baby Ratty this morning so she was waiting to taxi them home.
I'm now chillin' and thinking what I have done in the last 8 days. A lot more than I have achieved in the last 12 months.

No going back now........................

FLYING BANANA 24th June 2018 19:25

Would you still believe.....................

...................................... I've just finished the unpacking. Yet another bag of bubble wrap to take down the tip, plus another two plastic boxes to go into the shed.
Unwrapped all the pictures and photo's. Found all of Banana's framed awards. But there was one thing I was looking for, so I went through the boxes of unimportant stuff that came out of the loft in Barkingside. Not in any of them but I did find a few things I had forgotten about. A couple of photography awards, a letter congratulating me on winning a photographic competition dating back to 1990. I won a cheque of £50 for that one.

I had put books into the, wait for it, bookcase. Checked in there and found a tin with some MG badges in including some Mustang ones. Looked in another cabinet and there was a wee tin, and tho and behold I found what I was looking for. A MG badge with the cross of St.George, similar to the one on Banana but this one is covered in Swarovski crystals.
It will never be fitted but it is now on show with the other MG bits I have.

FLYING BANANA 27th June 2018 19:02

Two weeks in ............................

............................................ and we are still here. Sometimes, like today, it seems that it still has not sunk in. But I know it will take time, and I know there is no going back especially after unpacking hundreds of boxes. I must have cornered the market on bubble wrap.

Today saw two more milestones, the Bear passed her MOT and my washing machine was delivered. A huge thank you to Allen who came round and plumbed the machine in. An absolute diamond. And he recommended the garage for me to take the Bear to.
I started on the back garden today, although only the size of 4 paving slabs it needs work. I managed to dig out the path, cut the overgrown grass and earth away. There was also a sand pit by the shed but the wooden sides of the pit were in a bad way. So with the aid of a shovel I got it emptied and broke the bit up. The sand has gone on the sides of the path. Plus scattered some around the bottom of the bird bath.

So what else have I done over the last two weeks, well I have found where the community tip is, Waitrose, Lidil's, Screwfix, Toolstation, B&M's, local pub, the post office, where the nearest post boxes are and where the nearest phone box is, remember them!
Been to the garden centre, had a walk over the Tamar bridge, been down to Waterside, been to a car meet last night, had Redfive's 2 keep fobs replaced, been to Marsh Mills retail park twice, found the Ply Valley railway. Found the cheapest fuel station. Drove down memory lane last Sunday, went to Wivlescombe but the pub that Val and I stayed at has now gone.

Also in the last two weeks, and with Allens help, we drove back to Barkingside then onto Totteridge in North London to collect the Yellow one.
A huge thank you to Allen and Val for all their help and kindness. Not forgetting Matt and Shirley along with Debbie, again with lots of help, advice and kindness. Means a lot to me.

A trip up to IKEA in the next view days to get another display cabinet, I have some Caithness and Moorcroft items to get out and put on show. Plus there are still 6 1/12th Jaguars that need to come out.

No going back now.....................

FLYING BANANA 2nd July 2018 17:19

18 days down the line.................

.......................................... And it's finally sunk in that this my new home. It has taken a bit of time but now that I'm in the Cornish system, it seems that I have been here so much longer.

All the unpacking is done, all the empty plastic boxes are neatly stacked in the shed, most of the bubble wrap has gone done the tip. I've kept some of the good wrap back as it has no sticky tape on. I now have my washing machine up and working, thanks to Allen who done the work. There are a couple of bits I still need, a display case for my Moorcroft and Caithness pieces. Also need a Z bed as a spare. My first "holiday makers" are booked in for mid August.

My solictor's have been in contact with yet more forms for me to fill out, but I'm hopefull that the final hurdle is in sight and that the contracts can be signed. I have one last trip planned to go back to the flat, then that will be that. Other than going to my brother in laws in North London I doubt very much I'll ever return to Barkingside. I will be having a drink with my old mate Bob next time I'm up. But doubt I'll see much of him after that. Although saying that he does have a sister who lives just outside Exeter.

So now all my washing is up to date, no going commando anymore. I've figured out how the gas cooker works, without either cremating my food or setting the smoke alarm off. The shower works fine once I have remembered to turn it on before getting in. I've got one good vacuum cleaner, the other one has no sucking power so may get rid. I have timers fitted on my lights so that it looks like I'm in when I'm out.
The biggest issue to contend with is the garden, it's not very big because it needs trimming back. With Allen's help, and his tools, we have cleared the parking area. And now we have set about clearing the side access. It's overgrown with ivy and brambles.

So yesterday with Allen's help we cleared about 60% of the access which resulted in me going to the tip twice this morning to get rid of the greenery. I have to use the ZTT to get the stuff in and out easily. Looks as if the Bear has a few more admirers down the tip. Not only that it gives her a run. So back and the car vacuumed out she went back under her cover, it once belonged to "Ratty".
So with Redfive I drove to the library to register for my recycling bags, 3, and one box. Then I drove to Marsh Mills, again, and bought a hose adapted that screws into my kitchen tap plus I also bought a hose on a reel. Need this so that I can start washing the cars again.

I left Marsh Mills and took the wrong turning, agai, and ended up exploring more of Devon. Gradually figured out where I was going and finally ended up in know territory. Stopped off in the garden centre, there is a good butchers shop there plus a green grocers.cso I stocked up on few items. The butchers is shut on Monday, but I will be visiting there on the recommendation of Val & Allen.

So all in all I'm fitting in, soon be talking Cornish and stuffing my boat race with pasty's and slurping Rattler.

Many thanks for the kind words, pm's and cards. Means a lot to me.

I got my first meet on the 4th. "Cars Under The Stars" at my local pub.

Rev Jules 2nd July 2018 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2645930)
.......................................... And it's finally sunk in that this my new home. It has taken a bit of time but now that I'm in the Cornish system, it seems that I have been here so much longer.

All the unpacking is done, all the empty plastic boxes are neatly stacked in the shed, most of the bubble wrap has gone done the tip. I've kept some of the good wrap back as it has no sticky tape on. I now have my washing machine up and working, thanks to Allen who done the work. There are a couple of bits I still need, a display case for my Moorcroft and Caithness pieces. Also need a Z bed as a spare. My first "holiday makers" are booked in for mid August.

My solictor's have been in contact with yet more forms for me to fill out, but I'm hopefull that the final hurdle is in sight and that the contracts can be signed. I have one last trip planned to go back to the flat, then that will be that. Other than going to my brother in laws in North London I doubt very much I'll ever return to Barkingside. I will be having a drink with my old mate Bob next time I'm up. But doubt I'll see much of him after that. Although saying that he does have a sister who lives just outside Exeter.

So now all my washing is up to date, no going commando anymore. I've figured out how the gas cooker works, without either cremating my food or setting the smoke alarm off. The shower works fine once I have remembered to turn it on before getting in. I've got one good vacuum cleaner, the other one has no sucking power so may get rid. I have timers fitted on my lights so that it looks like I'm in when I'm out.
The biggest issue to contend with is the garden, it's not very big because it needs trimming back. With Allen's help, and his tools, we have cleared the parking area. And now we have set about clearing the side access. It's overgrown with ivy and brambles.

So yesterday with Allen's help we cleared about 60% of the access which resulted in me going to the tip twice this morning to get rid of the greenery. I have to use the ZTT to get the stuff in and out easily. Looks as if the Bear has a few more admirers down the tip. Not only that it gives her a run. So back and the car vacuumed out she went back under her cover, it once belonged to "Ratty".
So with Redfive I drove to the library to register for my recycling bags, 3, and one box. Then I drove to Marsh Mills, again, and bought a hose adapted that screws into my kitchen tap plus I also bought a hose on a reel. Need this so that I can start washing the cars again.

I left Marsh Mills and took the wrong turning, agai, and ended up exploring more of Devon. Gradually figured out where I was going and finally ended up in know territory. Stopped off in the garden centre, there is a good butchers shop there plus a green grocers.cso I stocked up on few items. The butchers is shut on Monday, but I will be visiting there on the recommendation of Val & Allen.

So all in all I'm fitting in, soon be talking Cornish and stuffing my boat race with pasty's and slurping Rattler.

Many thanks for the kind words, pm's and cards. Means a lot to me.

I got my first meet on the 4th. "Cars Under The Stars" at my local pub.

Hi Bob,

We are so glad you seem to be settling in at last, never easy to move from somewhere you know to strange lands, you are very fortunate to have some very good friends helping you out, we made that same decision eight months ago after 52 two years at the same address to move it was very hard, we have finally settled in and got the place how we want it.
Dawn and I will probably catch up with you at some future gathering, in the meantime soak it all up and enjoy.

Dawn and Julien

FLYING BANANA 11th July 2018 06:34

4 weeks today.....................

...................................... Since I moved in. Feels like I have lived here for a lot longer. Finally settled into a new routine. Washing done on a Monday, everyday going around with the vacuum cleaner, bin men come every Thursday, and every two weeks the recycling wagon turns up. I have 3 colour coordinated bags and 1 box to put my stuff in.

I now have my Saltash residents discount card, Refive and Banana have their Tamar Tags, gives me cheap rates when travelling over the bridge. Have not bothered getting one for the Bear, I can always "borrow" one from the other two.
I know where the council offices are, plus the library, I know where the tip is, should do the amount of times I have been there.
I've been to Tesco's in Callington and Sainsburys in Plymouth, plus Waitrose and Aldi's in Saltash.

I have been to the Celtic Cross, seen the bust of Brunel, learnt how long it took to build the railway bridge over the Tamar, it took a week to jack each section up 6ft and there is 4 sections. I know where to buy the cheapest petrol, I know where to buy my meat from a proper butchers, they make to order proper beef sausages. And very tasty they are. I bought a huge chunk of steak from them, lasted me 3 days and it melted in your mouth. There's a cracking farm shop next door to the butchers.

I've eaten out a fair amount, more than I ever did in Barkingside. With Allen n Val we had a fabulous meal at the Quintrell Inn in Newquay, where we met the Cornwall MG Onwers club who made us so welcome. I had my first car meet at my local, 5 cars made it a very enjoyable evening, and we sampled the carvery.
I've had a drive out over Dartmoor, been up to Wilverscombe in Somerset where Val and I spent a few holidays. I've travelled to Porthwrinkle and onto Seaton, the Cornish one.
Redfive is my daily drive and the t'other two are my show cars, although they are allowed out occasionally.

I've started re-doing the back garden with Allen's help, been bitten by undesirable insects even with insect repellent on. Still at least I know where the doctors is along with the minor injuries unit. I've stopped falling up the stairs but have had a go at electrocuting myself, hedge trimmer and extension lead. I've tested the smoke alarm out a few times.

We are now hopefully in the final stages of selling the flat, I have had 3 letters plus forms from my solicitors, and sent back the forms with yet more questions. Cost £7.43 to send one lot back, but it was being tracked and delivery by Noon the next day so I suppose I should not complain.
It seems like Essex is far away now, I do not even have any yearning to go back anymore, feels like I've been here most of my life.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep the updates coming. And the mini tours will be starting up again at the end of this month.

FLYING BANANA 26th July 2018 14:45

42 days and we are still here..........................

................................. Seems like I have lived here for longer.

And still the flat is not sold, although the buyers are still in for the long haul. First problem we hit, this time round, was to do with the boundary fence. I had agreed with my neighbour downstairs to move the fence when they had their extension built. Ñaturally enough we never applied for planning permission. But once I explained that to the solicitors it was accepted.

Next problem was who held the freehold, as far as I was concerned that was downstairs but it was in fact his Mum as she had originally bought the flat. So I gave the solicitor her address and phone number. It seemed ages before she returned the necessary paperwork but of cause it was done through her solicitors. As a result I was sent a a 13 page document in which I had to place a single cross on one page.
The next lot of paperwork needed my signature and that of a independent witness. Allen kindly stepped up and signed.

The next hiccup was to do with the Land Registry. They had on record that I had inherited the flat in December 1957, but I had not inherited the flat till after Mum had died and that was in October 1991. Dad had bought the flat in 1957. I had proof regarding when I inherited the flat and the daft thing was that I had a letter from the Land Registry confirming this.
Plus they wanted me to pay them £200 to alter there mistake. My solicitor soon had that sorted.

The buyers were unaware that I had moved out and had contacted me asking if they could come round and do some measuring up. I explained that the estate agents had a set of keys, best ask them then. No idea if they went round or not.
I have had a email from the estate agents telling me that the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching. So hopefully it will all be done with soon.

After my encounter with the horsefly, plus the drugs I was then on, it took the wind out of me. Not able to concentrate on anything, constantly tired, no appetite and having to attend the loo constantly. But I cannot fault the medical attention I have had. I was soon off of the tablets and gave gradually got myself back into the groove.

Started on the back garden again. Allen brought his chainsaw round and now the tree has gone along with the tough old bush. There are three other bushes I'll be using the hedge trimmer on over the next few days. Again with Allen's help we have now totally cleared the front parking area up. I can now get all 3 cars in facing all the same way. Plus there is enough room between them enabling me to get whatever one out without having to move another one out of the way.
So I need another cover now.

I bought another cabinet to go in the front room. It was secondhand in Par Market, £39, and for another £5 they would deliver it. So now I have my Moorcroft and Caithness items on display. That in turn allowed me to get all my 1/12th scale Jaguar XJ220's out on display. Includes a rare Grampian Police version complete with it's certificate. I already have 2 East Midland Police versions. Then there is the proposed racing version XJ220 that never saw the track. And there are another 3 road going versions. And I still have one to build, another winter project then.

And with a bit of imagination I have some pictures hanging up on the stairs.
There is still more to be done but then Rome was not built in a day.

So there is definitely No Going Back Now........................

FLYING BANANA 31st July 2018 09:44

The buyers solicitors are..............

.................................................. .... becoming a right pain in the proverbial.

My solicitor has sent yet another letter concerning enquires by the other party. Now most of the questions have been answered but there are two that concern me.
One of them is who is responsible for repairs me or the landlord?
Well that's me who pays out for any work other than the roof or guttering. We then split the cost between the two of us.

But the second question is now the other party want "New" plans to be drawn up regarding the change in boundary lines regarding the garden. So to get this done I'm now having to employ a company to draw up those plans. I have phoned one company, I googled, who immediately put me at ease and said it was not a problem. In fact the chap the other end made me laugh a few times.

So now I'm waiting on a email from them regarding cost and when they can go and measure up for me. I don't need to be there as the garden is accessible.

On a lighter note the estate agents have been in touch to say that the business with the land registry people has been sorted out. So they are all ready to get the contracts signed up. Just need to get the boundary plans sorted.

Stressed? Who me? Grrr!!!

No going back now...................

Ratty 31st July 2018 09:54

It all be done drekly Bob no worries.

FLYING BANANA 3rd August 2018 09:43

The smoke alarm works just fine......................

.......................................... The letting agents phoned me last week to arrange a visit. They wanted to come in to see how I'm settling in and to see what I have done to the house. The agent coming in today is Christine, we have met a few times.
The conversation went like this.

Christine, " Hi Bob, how you doing? Can we come and have our look around on Friday 3rd August?"

Me, " Morning Christine, loving it. Love the house. Settled in really well. Yes next Friday will be fine. Just need to find the directions for the vacuum cleaner, chuck out the empties and hide the magazines."

Christine, "Ha! Ha! We will be checking the smoke and carbon dioxide alarms whilst I'm there."

Me, "Oh! I can assure the smoke alarm works perfectly OK. The fire brigade said it was one of the best they had seen."

Christine, deathly silence.

Me, " It was a joke. But the alarm works ok when you have the toast under the grill". I failed to mention about the other food I have cremated.

Christine, "Thought it was a joke. Otherwise the fire brigade would have been in contact. But other than that you are ok. I'll see you on Friday at 11am."

Me, "ok. See you on the 3rd at 11am."

Wait till she see's what I have done to the garden.

On another note, I'm waiting on my solicitor to get back to me re the new boundary plan that the buyers solicitors wanted me to get drawn up. The companies I contacted wanted between £550-£750 plus vat to draw up the plans. Natalie, my solicitor said for me not to do anything as she feels that the other solicitors are getting too picky. Plus she feels that if they still want the plans drawn up then they should at least meet me half way on costs.

No going back now...................

FLYING BANANA 3rd August 2018 13:21

Inspection passed with......................

........................................ Flying compliments. Christine was well impressed with how clean and tidy everything looked, she said that the house now had a light and airy feel about it. She checked all the alarms, 4 in total. She got the house check list out and every part got a plus tick.
Notes made about how much better the back garden looked. I asked if I could remove the bush at the bottom of the garden and replace with a fence, at my expense. Will have to wait on the owners response.

I showed Christine the pictures on how the parking area looked before I moved in. Then I showed the area that Allen and I had cleared, yet another tick in the plus box.

Did I get on with my neighbour's? Did I have any issues with them? No I said we get on fine.

Christine's parting words were, "Well I'm very impressed and I'll see you in 6 months".

Happy with that.

FLYING BANANA 12th August 2018 19:50

Going back................

............................................. On Wednesday 15th August. Yup! I'm going back to Essex. Well, North London actually. Staying at Michaels.

Basically the only reason I'm going back is that I have a pre-planned show to go to on Saturday 18th. It's my yearly visit to the Flying Proms at The Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire.

But I will be speaking to my solicitor about the hold up on the sale of the flat. It's starting to get me down now, getting fed up with the hold up. If only I had not turned down the first offer I got back in January. But water under the bridge, what's done is done. The past cannot be changed but the future is in my hands.

I'm very thankful for the friends I have down this neck of the woods. Plus a very special Thank You to Actros who keeps in contact by phone. I might even get to see him in October at the breakfast meet up North. But more on that later on.
The garden keeps me busy, need to cut the bush down at the end of the garden.
Just need to ask Allen to come round with his chainsaw, but I just don't like to keep asking. Makes it look I'm not able to do jobs myself. Although I doubt I would be allowed to use a chainsaw as I tried killing myself with the hedge trimmer.

So there will be a mini tour coming up in the next few days. Now who shall I take?

FLYING BANANA 16th August 2018 21:33

Is that a train approaching?..............................

.................................................. .. Or is that the light at the end of the tunnel.
We have finally a completion/exchange of contracts date. It is the 28th of August. And that is a very special date in my calendar. For that is the day that Val and I got married back in 1993. I think then that it will really hit me about leaving and selling the flat.

The business about the change of boundary has been resolved. The buyers have agreed to split the cost with me over the drawing up of the new plans. This will be done after the exchange/completion otherwise it will be another couple of months to get it done.

So there is definitely NO GOING BACK NOW.............................

FLYING BANANA 28th August 2018 16:19

It's done.......................................

....................................... As of today, the 28th, the contracts/completion are all done. I no longer own my flat in Barkingside. Got a phone call from the estate agents and now confirmed in a email from the solicitors that it is sold.

Dunno whether I'm glad or sad. Not sure how I really feel.

But I do know that...........................

THERE IS NO GOING BACK NOW......................................

On this day I was wed to my Val 25 years ago, I wish she was still here to see this. I expect she is here looking over my shoulder. God bless sweetheart.

pbaker 28th August 2018 16:33

no going back

Hi Bob. I have followed u all the way from the beginning, glad it's all done and dusted for u. (I did respond to ur very first post immediately. Did not appear to have reached u then. Now sit back and enjoy a Cornish pastie and malt. Love see u at the Ugly Duckling soon peter

pbaker 28th August 2018 16:36

Looks like made Number 1.

Teflon 28th August 2018 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2664474)
....................................... As of today, the 28th, the contracts/completion are all done. I no longer own my flat in Barkingside. Got a phone call from the estate agents and now confirmed in a email from the solicitors that it is sold.

Dunno whether I'm glad or sad. Not sure how I really feel.

But I do know that...........................

THERE IS NO GOING BACK NOW......................................

On this day I was wed to my Val 25 years ago, I wish she was still here to see this. I expect she is here looking over my shoulder. God bless sweetheart.

Well done Bob. It takes a lot of will power to make a change like that, particularly when you live alone. It would have been so much easier to just go with the flow and stay in your flat, but now you can reap all the benefits of the house move. Hats off to you.

Cliff

FLYING BANANA 30th August 2018 15:49

What now?

Been here 11 weeks now, seems longer. Decisions to be made, do I stay renting or do I start looking to buy something to call my own.

There are pro's and con's to consider on both issues. I'm happy renting but at the back of my mind something is telling me to buy. Not sure if I can do with the upheaval again. All that packing.

Don't want to move out of the Saltash area. Love it here, plenty of exploring to be done. Thinking of getting a electric push bike and go out and about. Then again I was thinking of getting a runaround, last time I thought about getting a runaround I bought the Bear. Well, she runs around from petrol station to petrol station.

Had another passing enquiry from another forum member about them buying the Bear off of me. Seems to have fallen flat yet again. Best keep her for now then.
I would like to get Banana a full re-spray. Just be my show car then.

Next London visit is now scheduled for October.

Ratty 30th August 2018 18:32

You have got 1 or 2 empty boxes for packing. :getmecoat:

FLYING BANANA 30th August 2018 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 2665116)
You have got 1 or 2 empty boxes for packing. :getmecoat:

There was 65 at one stage.

FLYING BANANA 10th October 2018 20:00

Quids in............................

............................................ And people wonder why councils waste money.

When I moved back in June this year I informed Redbridge Council, who reduced my monthly payments on the community tax, as the flat was staying empty till sold.

As the sale and completion of contracts were exchanged I again informed Redbridge Council. They in due course sent me a letter telling me that they were reimbursing me with £575. I knew this to be wrong and waited for them to tell me. 10 days later the money was paid into my bank account.

I then got a letter from Redbridge Council informing me that I now owed £450 on unpaid community tax. After countless phone/e mails it was sorted out that I did not owe this money. And then I was told that they owed me a further £252.60 and that I would receive the payment into my account. But I had closed my account with them. I was still waiting for them to claim back the £575 that they had overpaid me.

Last week I finally got a letter telling me that I had been overpaid the £575. I phoned and got through to a very nice lady who confirmed I had been overpaid. I've no idea why I replied with this, "Oh! I thought it was a gift from the council. A sort of a going away present". After the lady stopped laughing I said that I was prepared to pay it back on a monthly basis. "Oh no she said, it had to be paid back all in one lump". I said I could not afford it as I had spent the money. She said she would contact the accounts department and see what they would say.

I then got a phone call from a foreign speaking chap, either that or he was a Yorkshireman sucking a gob stopper. But the gist of the conversation was that the money had to paid back asap. Now when I explained that I had received another letter saying that I was owed another £252.60, so if they deducted that from what I owed then I would just pay the balance. No, he said. No I had to pay back the £575 before they would reimburse me with the £252.60.

The very nice lady whom I had spoke to in the first place phoned me yesterday telling me that the council had made a complete ****'s up and that I DID NOT have to pay the £575 back. It was mine to keep.
And today I got a invoice confirming that they had in fact also paid in the £252.60 that they owed me. And my bank account shows that to be correct.

I only used to pay £890 for the year up in Barkingside, we used to get subsidy from the Mayor of London to help us poor people out.

So I'm now able to afford to buy a joint of beef this weekend.

............................................. I daren't go back now.

pbaker 10th October 2018 20:59

So Bob, does that mean the meals and drinks are on you😪.

FLYING BANANA 10th October 2018 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbaker (Post 2676237)
So Bob, does that mean the meals and drinks are on you😪.

Anytime you are in Saltash Peter.

pbaker 11th October 2018 11:24

redbridge

On my Bob. On a serious note , hope they don't send u an un-paid bill demand plus interest. :mad: peter.

FLYING BANANA 19th November 2018 16:24

4 months and ...................................

................................... 1 week and we are still here.

Still exploring the area, still finding out things, still have not been into Plymouth yet by bus, but still have lots of time to do everything I want to.

Only went back to London last week thinking I would find out why I was not told about my Big Brothers passing, but that never went to plan. But at least I know where his ashes are. So when back up country in December I'll be able to pay my respects.

When I lived in Essex I could not wait to come back down here, but now I'm here I have no want to go back to Essex.
The people that bought my flat sent me a text last week asking me how I got my sofa into, and out, of the flat. Well, I never had a sofa but the way to get any large bits of furniture in or out was to take the two front doors off. They should have measured up before buying anything large.

When I was up in London last week I did drive past the old place but I felt nothing for it.
Happy where I am now.

FLYING BANANA 13th December 2018 08:55

Doesn't time time.........................

..........................................fly. Been in my new home now 6 months. Any regrets? None, just wish I had had the courage to sell up and move a few years earlier. But it took a serious fall to get the ball rolling.

I love the house and the area, I love the people down here so so friendly. I have fabulous friends who will drop everything and get jobs done for me, all I have to do is swallow my pride and ask.
I'm gradually learning how everything moves slower than a snail around here, I have learnt what drekley means, and have started saying the word as well. I know know where the 'Street' is, what you might call the High Street, well it's called 'Fore Street' around here.

There are loads of supermarkets close by but I have found the most amazing local butchers, straight from the farm to the counter, and believe me it tastes so much better. No shrinkage, the sausages start of 6" long and once cooked are still 6".
I found the best bakers where the bread has taste, but I know of someone who has bought a bread machine just waiting on a sample to try. I will properly buy a machine after Xmas.
There is a nice green grocers. About a 25 minute walk away, yes I do walk when I don't need much shopping.
There is a Lidal's, Waitrose and a B & M's in walking distance plus a local Spar to me.
Across my road there is a post box and telephone box, remember them.

Found a cracking garage to do all my repairs and servicing, although I do miss MJS. I have told Mike he can come and stay here if he is on a mobile call close by. He has traveled down as far as Torpoint before now. And that I back onto a pub might sway him a bit more.
Already had visitors to stay. Got a friend coming down from Warwickshire next March plus my close friends from Kent will be here early next year. Plus my brother in law wants to come and stay.
Wait till people meet him. He maybe a wee bit eccentric but he has a heart of gold.

I've helped Allen get one of his boats ready to sell, been on the river with Allen when he moved his fishing boat into dry dock for the winter period.
Val has cooked me a few dinners, especially when I travel back from London. Saves me cooking a dinner, not that I would I'd probably would make do with a sandwich.
I've been on two holidays with the 'Southwest Crew", all MG Rover owners with a few other makes in as well. Allen, Val and I have joined the Cornish MG Owners club, been to there Xmas dinner as well.

When I have travelled back up to Essex, mainly on business, I have had no yearning to go back and look at the old place yet I lived there for nigh on 68 years, born there. I did drive past the first time but not been back since. Even when I met up with a few friends we met in the local pub in Barkingside. I know the new people have had the flat altered back to how it was plus put a loft conversion in. And that the twins were born 3 months ago, my old neighbour Jan has made it her business to be friendly towards them. No doubt they park one of their cars on her drive, just like I used to.

So, yes, I love it down here.

No going back..........................

FLYING BANANA 17th December 2018 19:28

It's best to check the destination...............................

5 Attachment(s)
............................................. on the front of the bus before getting on, still it was a nice ride into Plymouth. Been fighting a cold and not been out for nearly 4 days so I thought today would be a good idea to get some fresh air in my lungs. But first i popped over to the post box to send some late Xmas cards off. I had locked up and had my nice new coat on.

I saw a bus which was going to Plymouth central, that will do I thought except I did not get as far as the stop as another bus came along so I just got on having no idea where it was going. I just assumed it was going to Plymouth. Doubt started to creep in when it turned down a road I had not been down. But the confidence was soon back as the bus emerged into the Street. Then it crossed over the bridge and turned right towards St. Budeaux. Going the right way then.

I kept seeing signs for the City Centre but the bus kept turning away. Hmmm!!! I wonder where I'm going. Saw a sign for the Torpoint Ferry and discovered something that was close to my heart. For I discovered the "Headway" Charity brain injury unit. A charity very close to my heart. They looked after my Val and me after during Val's turn in the London Hospital. A very interesting and helpful charity. There head office is in Homerton Hospital in Hackney East London.

Well the bus zoomed past, but I made a mental note to come back and pop in. And the bus continued on it's way, turning down side roads. The plus side was it was filling up with people, always a good sign. I then it went past Devonport so I knew I was going the right way. Worst thing was I could get off the bus and get on another one.
Then the bus turned and Hey! Ho! I was in the City Centre. Got off the bus and made a mental note of where to catch the bus on the way back.

Found a "House of Fraser" and went in and looked for the Perfume counter, No not for me. I wanted to get a Xmas present for a certain lady whom I would be seeing over Xmas. No, no nothing I like that, just a very special friend who has been fighting the Big C. Once the perfume was bought I then went in search of a NatWest bank. And there it was at the end of the precinct I needed to pay my winnings in from my Premium Bond win. Once done I had a wander round.

Then I went in search of the 'Hoe', last time I was here was when Allen & Val brought me to the ceramic Poppy display at the war memorial in 2016. Boy! was it chilly up by the memorial, glad I had my new coat on. The sun was disappearing behind the rain clouds. But time to get a few photo's, yes always got a camera with me. On a clear day you can see Eddystone Light house, but not today. Next visit I'll carry on down to the Barbican centre, been before but always worth another visit at some point.

Weather now turning colder so I started back towards the bus stop. Down past the anchor that belonged to HMS Ark Royal. Onward I went. Found my bus stop and waited a whole 1 minute before a bus appeared. Now just because it said Saltash on the front it does not mean it's going past where I live. Still I found parts of Saltash I've never seen before. Bus was soon back at the top of Fore Street.

So I then walked home past the library, past the Police Station, Past the Saltash football club, past the leisure centre. past the fire station. It was further than I thought but soon home.
Glad I done what I did.

Some photo's of my trip.

On the bus over the Tamar looking towards Dartmoor.
Ark Royals anchor.
Ark Royals plaque.
War Memorial.
Monument.

FLYING BANANA 17th December 2018 19:34

4 Attachment(s)
A few more photo's..............................

Two pictures of the light house on the Hoe.
Looking back over the Hoe. Be a good place to have a National car meet.
Memorial to the pilots who gave there all through the two World Wars

FLYING BANANA 31st December 2018 23:08

New Year.....................

................................... in my New home.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

FLYING BANANA 13th January 2019 18:21

7 months today....................

................................ since I made the move to Saltash, and where am I? In London for a few days.

And it will be 12 moths tomorrow that I put the flat on the market. Although I’m only 12 miles from the old place I have no yearning to pop back and have a look at the old place. No yearning to return to Barkingside. Was back there at Christmas.
This trip to Michaels will be my last for quite awhile, I was going to come up in March but highly unlikely that I will bother to return.

Completly Happy where I’m living, would like to buy it, but content with renting. Still have a few niggles to get sorted out. The central heating system needs a overhaul, I could do with a outside light. The back garden needs a serious makeover. So once back I’ll go down to letting agents and have a chat, never know it may just sway the owners to sell me the house. No harm in trying.

Been out discovering, travelled by bus into Plymouth, ok so I got on the wrong bus going, and coming back but at least I did it.

So I’m here to stay.................................. No Going Back Now.

RPWC 13th January 2019 18:56

It’s good that you have found happiness,and are contented and now have roots in your new surroundings. Hope to see you sometime this year.

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2019 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2702165)
It’s good that you have found happiness,and are contented and now have roots in your new surroundings. Hope to see you sometime this year.

I got your email Richard and I’ll let you know about travelling up in May. It would be Redfive that makes the trip.

Neil1 15th January 2019 15:25

Quote:

Been out discovering, travelled by bus into Plymouth, ok so I got on the wrong bus going, and coming back but at least I did it.
Had to laugh, but then again I'm useless at working out what bus I need when I have used them, usually end having to ask someone for help as trying to work out those bus timetables is near on impossible.:}

HarryM1BYT 15th January 2019 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2702604)
Had to laugh, but then again I'm useless at working out what bus I need when I have used them, usually end having to ask someone for help as trying to work out those bus timetables is near on impossible.:}

There is a bus journey plotter online somewhere. You just enter where you are, where you want to go and when - it does the rest..

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 17th January 2019 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2702147)
................................ since I made the move to Saltash, and where am I? In London for a few days.

And it will be 12 moths tomorrow that I put the flat on the market. Although I’m only 12 miles from the old place I have no yearning to pop back and have a look at the old place. No yearning to return to Barkingside. Was back there at Christmas.
This trip to Michaels will be my last for quite awhile, I was going to come up in March but highly unlikely that I will bother to return.

Completly Happy where I’m living, would like to buy it, but content with renting. Still have a few niggles to get sorted out. The central heating system needs a overhaul, I could do with a outside light. The back garden needs a serious makeover. So once back I’ll go down to letting agents and have a chat, never know it may just sway the owners to sell me the house. No harm in trying.

So I’m here to stay.................................. No Going Back Now.

Let me know if you want any advice/help with the outside light.:}

Neil1 17th January 2019 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2702730)
There is a bus journey plotter online somewhere. You just enter where you are, where you want to go and when - it does the rest..

Is there?

I didn't know that.

trikey 17th January 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2703316)
Is there?

I didn't know that.

I had an app on my phone that did that, used it in Milan, Berlin & Greece, worked a treat. Tried it in Norwich and it said 'This place is not supported yet'

:duh:

Neil1 17th January 2019 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2703318)
I had an app on my phone that did that, used it in Milan, Berlin & Greece, worked a treat. Tried it in Norwich and it said 'This place is not supported yet'

:duh:

Typical:} I will have a look for an app then as that would be the easiest for me.

HarryM1BYT 19th January 2019 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2703321)
Typical:} I will have a look for an app then as that would be the easiest for me.

The different bus companies seem to each have their bus journey planners, but I have seen one which integrates them all/most.

FLYING BANANA 24th January 2019 19:10

I fully understand why the owners.....................

................................................ Need a second quote but it needles me to why I have to wait whilst they decide.

I have been struggling with boiler and central heating system. Reported the fault before Christmas, engineer came out and fiddled with the boiler. It seemed to sort the problem out but now the perishing thing is being a right pain. Keeps turning itself off, trying to re-set it is a pain. I have to take the plastic panel off to push the button back in, as it is loose.

I went back in on Tuesday and basically said that the problem needs to be sorted out as I have very limited heat and with it being winter it's extremely chilly in the mornings. I do have two electric oil filled radiators that I brought with me from Essex but I didn't tell them that.
There is a fan heater type fire in the hearth in the dining room but I cannot stand the dry heat. Anyway I need the warmth upstairs.

The contract central heating/plumbers phoned me to make an appointment for Thursday afternoon after 3pm, totally understand they are very busy people. Then out of the blue one of the engineers phoned to say he was close by, this was on Wednesday evening, and could he pop in and have a look. Ok by me as he said he has been before, when the stopcock broke just after I moved in.
So in he came and took one look and said it was beyond economical repair. He then typed out a report on his phone and said to me that once the owners gave the go ahead then a new boiler would be fitted.

So this evening I get a phone call from the letting agent, Mike, who told me that the owners wanted a second quote before committing there selves to having the boiler replaced. I fully understand this decision but am now waiting for the other plumber/heating engineer to contact me.
I'm hoping that he will call in the morning as I'm supposed to be going away to Newquay for a skittles competition in the afternoon and coming home on Monday.
Plus I have Matt coming to fit Banana's inertia switch tomorrow as well. Would love to take Banana to Newquay but we will have to see. Mind you I do have another a Green ZTT I could always use. I'm looking after "Leafy", Allens car whilst he is on holiday.

On a lighter note I have been given permission to re-work the rear garden. Whoever laid the turfs certainly were not going to live here.

FLYING BANANA 30th January 2019 18:17

Been out on the bus again........................................

5 Attachment(s)
.................................................. ....... and got on the right one this time. Still went around the houses but not as much as my first trip. I needed to get to the NatWest bank in Plymouth to sort out some business. I wanted to talk to someone face to face rather than on the phone or internet.
After the bank I had a wander around the town, found the bombed out church.
Named as Charles Church it was bombed in the Blitz in 1941. It was never rebuilt after the war and stands as a memorial to those civilians killed, 1200, in the war.

Found Plymouth market, but all under cover. Not as good as Par market but that's just my view. Came out of the precinct and found my way over to the Ho again. Glorious weather, blue sky and sunshine. No wind from the sea. I followed the road done towards the Barbican. Down past the "Mayflower" steps. But under repair so not able to have a better look. It's believed these are the steps from which the Pilgrim Fathers finally set off in the Mayflower for there trip to America on 6th September 1620.

I carried on past the old fish market, now turned into up market bars, Bistro's and restaurants. I walked past the home of Plymouth Gin. Built in 1793, thought to have been built on the ruins of a Dominican Order monastery, built in 1431, but there is no hard evidence that this is true.
Walked round into Notte Street. Thought I could catch a bus back to the town centre. Kept walking as there seemed to be a lack of bus stops.

And lo and behold I found myself back where I had started by the anchor memorial, Ark Royal. Across the road and I was back where the buses stop. Travelled here on the 5A and returned on a No.11 and it was a double decker. So upstairs I went. Got a few photo's as we crossed the Tamar. Should have caught the No.12 as they stops on the end of my road. But the No.11 turns off before. Still not that far to walk.

Still waiting for the people from AdGas to contact me about replacing the boiler. Nothing heard today so I best give them a reminder in the morning.

So I'm still staying. No Going Back...................................

A couple of photo's.

Charles Church.
Memorial to the pilots at the Ho.
Overlooking the bay.
in the inner harbour.
Over the Tamar from the top deck of the bus.

Neil1 1st February 2019 11:03

I don't know if you have been here yet but it's the largest in the UK, The National Marine Aquarium.

Well worth a visit.:D

FLYING BANANA 1st February 2019 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2707612)
I don't know if you have been here yet but it's the largest in the UK, The National Marine Aquarium.

Well worth a visit.:D

Thanks Neil that is on the agenda of places to visit.

FLYING BANANA 2nd February 2019 12:37

Time goes so quickly.................

........................................ or is it just me.

Christine from the letting agency has phoned to arrange the 6 month check up on the house. She’ll be round next Thursday, gives me a chance to get rid of the empties, pizza and takeaway boxes. Only joking, I keep the place clean and I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a takeaway here or even in Barkingside.
I’ll eat out from time to time otherwise I cook at home. No microwave food either. Wholesome and as healthy as I can get although I do like steak and chips.

And on Friday the central heating engineers will be here to fit a new boiler. I’ve had to keep moaning about the hit and miss boiler I currently have. Only have the heating on for about 3 hours in the morning plus about 4 hours in the evening. But the perishing thing keeps going to standby mode. Had one plumber here who said it had been repaired so many times it was now uneconomical to repair.

Still at least it’s getting done. So all in all a good weekend so far, bonus being is Banana should be back with me on Monday. Been having a rest in the warmth of the local garage.

FLYING BANANA 12th February 2019 13:38

Almost 8 months here...................

..................................... well it will be tomorrow.

Christine came round last Thursday and had a good look round. She tested all the alarms, made a note of the work to be carried re the boiler and made a note, and took a photo, of the back garden. I have permission to sort the garden out.
All in all she was pleased with me, her parting comment was, “ Bob, for a single bloke living on there own you keep this place remarkably clean and tidy”. Made me feel really good.
Sadly it is Christine’s last visit as she is retiring from the agents at the end of March. I wished her a Happy Retirement.

The plumbers/central heating people were due at 8am Friday so I cleared the kitchen out the night before. Just the areas where they would need to work.
A van turned up at 09.10 and unloaded the new boiler plus tubing and other bits. Driver said the plumber was on his way. Steve turned up at 09.30. Very pleasant young man. He said that he would be turning the water and gas off so if I needed to fill the kettle up now was the time. Thought it might be an idea to fill a bucket up so I could flush the loo.

The removal of the old boiler was straight forward along with the air vent. But fitting the new boiler seemed to be trying his patience. I kept out of the way only offering tea of coffee at the right moments. 3 times he had to go out to the plumbers shop to get some more bits. He was on the phone to the boss explains the problems.
The boss turned up at 17.00 to see how Steve was doing. The boiler was in and working. The vent and waste pipe were connected. But it was not all finished.

Steve called it a day at 19.00 and said that he would be back either Saturday or Monday, I said Monday would suit me better as I was going up to Warwickshire on Saturday morning.
With that he left. But at least I now had heat, he showed me how to use the thermostat. Hot water was bloomin’ hot out of the tap.

Saturday morning and as nobody had phoned or turned up by 10.00. I got the Bear loaded up and set off for Warwickshire. At about 13.30 my mobile was ringing, so I pulled into a lay by and phoned back, it was the office of the plumbers. They told me that the plumber was outside and could I let him in. I then politely explained as no one had contacted me I had left. Could I pop back, I explained I was 200 miles away.
So Monday the plumber would be back.

FLYING BANANA 12th February 2019 13:55

Heat at last...................

.................................... no need to use my electric radiator anymore, but i’ll Not get rid. You never know when it might be needed again.

Waited till 09.30 on Monday before I phoned the office to find out when the plumber would be back. Be about Noon was the reply. Steve came back at 10.30, he was working on another job around the corner and had just popped in on the off chance I was at home. He had no idea I had phoned the office.
Still he was here.

The waste pipe was now securely connected to the wall. The panel covering the pipes under the boiler was re-fitted but not very well, I expect Allen will put that right for me.
Steve cleaned up and went round with his vacuum cleaner. Collected the ladder plus all the bits and left.

So now I had heat and could get my washing dried.

Tuesday saw me do 3 lots of washing. And I went shopping via the tyre shop to get Banana’s tracking done. (New track Rod ends fitted). She broke down there, but I got her restarted ok. Went to Tesco’s at Callington and she ran sweet all the way. Done my shopping, jumped in and again she refused to start. Left it for a few minutes and we was away again.
Dropped into the butchers on the way home. Terrific deals to be done, bought enough meat to last me almost a month and cost less than £40. Well happy with that, we’ll i was happy till Banana stalled and would not restart.

A very nice lady helped me push her out of the way. I waited a few minutes but she refused to fire. Was about to give up and call recovery. Tried once more and she fired. Got her home and unloaded the shopping. Put everything away and phoned the garage. Tried not to be angry with them but I think they knew I was a bit miffed off. So back in on Thursday she goes.

Got all the washing on the clothes horse, was going to hang it out but it’s raining.

Still not going back.........................

FLYING BANANA 25th February 2019 10:02

Hopefully I’m not to blame................

..................................... or has my reputation gone before me again.

Before Xmas my neighbour at No.5 moved out, and now my other neighbour at 5A is moving out on Thursday. She has been there for 6 years but she needs to move as her two boys are growing up fast and need there own rooms. It’s like mine just two bedrooms.

Had a heated disagreement with another neighbour who complained about Allen’s car being parked in the road, Allen is on holiday. I politely pointed out that it was a public road and the car was legally able to park there, if the neighbour would like to check on the internet he would find that “Leafy” was taxed, insured and MOT’d. So not cause anymore grief I swapped “Leafy” over with “Redfive”. I do use her more than the others. I have used Allen’s car a few times on local trips.

Banana is waiting to go into the paint shop and seems to resent my plan of retiring her. She broke down yesterday but thanks to the recovery company and Matt’s work she is now home, under her own power. I’ve spent a few bob on her this year already.
Seems that the “Bear” will be going to a new home in the next few months. Had a chat with a chap North of the border who wants her.
Once she is sold then “Redfive” will also be sold. I will not be travelling back to London much now. So once MOT’d she will be sold.

I’ll go back to my original of just keeping Banana for shows and then just get a runaround for shopping and the occasional trip up to London. Mind you I had that plan back in 2015, so I bought a 400 bhp V8. Well, it used to runaround between petrol stations.

Once Allen is home I’ll get on with revamping the back garden, I need Allen to bring his chain saw round. I’m not allowed to use it, already had a go at killing myself with the hedge trimmer. The rebuilding of the garden will keep me busy and keep me entertained. And no doubt I’ll help Allen out with work on his boats. Plus I’ll going up to Matt’s to assist on the breaking up “my” other car. Yes I have bought half a share in a 75 Tourer 1.8t. The parts that I want will be mainly the engine plus a few other bits. The car is too far gone underneath to repair otherwise Matt would get it back onto the road.

Helped Matt once before to dismantle a ZT. Really enjoyed mucking in. Fascinated by what holds our cars together, so many plastic clips and pegs.

So all in all life is still great down here.
The only time I will be going back to London permantly is when they carry me out in a box, so I can be with my Val back in North London. But no plans to go that way yet, we’ll hopefully not.

Many thanks for reading.

FLYING BANANA 26th February 2019 07:24

Punishment for bad mouthing.................

................................... in my day was being sent to bed early, pocket money suspended and if really bad a smacked behind.

I got a note pushed through my letter box last week from my neighbour who is moving, although she denies writing it and blaming her cousin. Basically it said that a council lorry was turning up on Tuesday 26th Feb at 07.00 to collect large items of rubbish. ((At the time of the note I had no idea she was moving)). That had to come out at the back of the house to the lorry at the front. So the parking area needed to be clear.

I took this that they wanted Banana moved so that the truck could get in.
But on Monday this week. My neighbour with the help of family members started shifting large bits of furniture out by either the front door or from around the back. No one knocked on the door and asked to move the car, so I did not bother.
I spent most of the day on the phone sorting out the Multi deal on the car insurance. That also gave me time to sort out paperwork and get the shredder working.

I even changed the sheets and quilt cover on the bed and put some washing on.
I stood by my patio doors whilst on the phone and looking at me from the alleyway was this young lad, I could see his mouth moving but was unable to hear him. Finished with the phone call I opened the door and met with a torrent of abuse from this lad.
He went into one saying how they had to struggle with the furniture as I would not move my heap of old junk, who in their right mind would have a yellow foreign car. Every other word was foul.

I shut the back door and went around into the alley with the note, that was asking me to move my car for Tuesday. When I reached the lad his dad was there, he had come out to see why his son was shouting. I handed them both the note whilst the son started going on about me not moving the car. Dad said he knew nothing about the note but shut his son up.
I asked them both to follow me to the front door where I calmly, on the outside, said all you had to do was knock on the door and ask me to move the car.
This I would have done without any problem.

The son stormed off leaving his dad to apologise to me, I said I rather your son apologised but hey ho never mind. Did he want the car moved? No was the reply.
With that I went back indoors to calm down.
About 30 minutes later there was a knock at the door, I opened the door and there stood the lads dad who came to apologise again about his sons behaviour. He made no excuse why he had sounded off but his dad assured me his son would be serverely punished when he got home. I casually asked what this punishment would be and his dad replied, “He’ll have his Wi-fi allowance for the evening suspended”.

And they call that progress in teaching children to behave better.

So last night I moved Banana across the road to be with Redfive, that should upset that neighbour even more. It was them who moaned about Allen’s being parked there.
And this morning we are still waiting for this council lorry to turn up, time now is 08.22.
So in awhile I take ole Yella for a run and park her back in her spot.

Now feeling calmer I have shared this with you all.

Neil1 26th February 2019 10:57

You say that you going to sell Red5 and the V8 then buy a runaround, why not keep Red5 as your runaround as it's economical to run and you know all about it Bob.

FLYING BANANA 26th February 2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2714945)
You say that you going to sell Red5 and the V8 then buy a runaround, why not keep Red5 as your runaround as it's economical to run and you know all about it Bob.

Want something different. Only bought Redfive back as I needed something that was economical to run to and fro from London whilst house hunting. Essex to Saltash via Torquay and back again on a full tank.

As I’m now established down here I’ll rarely be travelling back to North London.

Rev Jules 26th February 2019 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2714960)
Want something different. Only bought Redfive back as I needed something that was economical to run to and fro from London whilst house hunting. Essex to Saltash via Torquay and back again on a full tank.

As I’m now established down here I’ll rarely be travelling back to North London.

Yep! But you will still need one decent car to drive around in while Banana is parked up, get what you can for the loud one it is not going to do you any favours in the long run.

Rev.

Neil1 26th February 2019 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2714960)

Fair enough you want something different.

The possibilities are endless.:D

How about a Jaguar?
Or a Mercedes 500 SL?
A V8 Mustang (British one)

FLYING BANANA 26th February 2019 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2714967)
Fair enough you want something different.

The possibilities are endless.:D

How about a Jaguar?
Or a Mercedes 500 SL?
A V8 Mustang (British one)

Rather fancy MG F/TF with the Turbo conversion.
Wouldn’t mind a Chrysler Crossfire, fastback not the rag top.
Diesel PT Cruiser is another possibility.
Or might go back to a Ford Fiesta.

And I have my Freedom Pass for the buses.

Or might have a word with Allen and get my self a small (ish!) motor boat. Love the river.

Rev Jules 26th February 2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2714976)

Or might have a word with Allen and get my self a small (ish!) motor boat. Love the river.

Smallish boat, the last time I saw you, you was putting on some weight perhaps a tug would be more like it :D LOL!

Rev

FLYING BANANA 1st March 2019 07:55

My neighbour moved out...................

..................................... yesterday and never said goodbye.
Seemed all a bit strange to me as there was no removal van used but the furniture she took was all dismantled and moved by 3 cars. Land Rover Discovery, Vauxhall Zafira and a Mazda 6, the Discovery done the lions share of the work.

The rest of the furniture was disposed of with the council taking it. This was the truck that was supposed to be here at 07.00 but finally turned up at 11.30. And the amount of black bags with rubbish in was enough to fill the dust cart up, well that was the impression I got.
Two things I’ll not miss is the cat sitting in my garden watching the birds on the feeders or the dog barking. If she went out next door then the dog would constantly bark till she came home.

Been keeping myself busy, bought myself a new Roberts DAB radio. I like my music and makes a change from my hard drive machine playing. My Gtech vacuum stopped working. I phone Matt up to see if he might know what was wrong, he has had trouble with his from time to time. Matt said to have a look on the net to see if there was info on what’s wrong.
Anyway I stripped it down and found the insides were caked in dust and fluff.

So with a thorough clean, new clean filters fitted and then put the machine on charge. Once charged it now works perfectly ok. So I shall now give it a proper clean every couple of months.
Went shopping to Tesco’s at Lee Mill, took the Bear via the go go juice station.
I’ve given Allen’s ZTT a good wash, Clay, polish and waxed. I’ve only used the car for local runs just to keep the battery topped up.

Been up to Lifton’s farm shop in Linton just off of the A30 then drove back via the Highwayman pub on the outskirts of Okehampton, then skirted Tavi and back home via Gunnislake and Callington. That gave the Bear a good run.
Getting Banana ready for a trip to the body shop on Monday, be without ole Yella for up to 5 weeks.

Allen and Val are expected home next Thursday so that will be “Leafy” leaving me. I have firm interest in the Bear, but I’ll not hold my breath. And once a Banana is home I’ll sell Redfive. I have my eyes on a replacement. Just be two cars here then. Banana for show work, already has a firm booking for 2020. And t’other car will be my run around.

Thanks for reading.

Neil1 1st March 2019 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2714976)

PT Cruiser based on the Neon, not the best car out there but they do look kind of cool, check out the Club, http://www.ukcruisers.net/

Leave the Crossfire alone, all the reviews say uneconomical and will cost you the best part of £1000 for tyres as they are run flats.

If I could get into one and drive a manual gearboxed car then it would be a Ford Fiesta ST, fantastic cars.

FLYING BANANA 9th March 2019 07:47

A year ago today..................

.......................................... I was in A & E in Torbay General hospital having arrived by ambulance. Nasty swelling in my face coupled with an infection in my left foot, under the toes. The swelling the face was thought to be a reaction to one of the tablets that I take, been on them since 2009 and never had a reaction before. The infection in the foot was thought to have been a burst, and untreated blister.

But thanks to the quick attention by Matt and Shirley it could have been a lot worse. Plus many thanks to the paramedics for sorting me out and getting me to the hospital in double quick time. As for the allergic reaction to the tablet, we’ll that’s never been proved. And I’m still taking them.
As for the foot that has cleared up ok. A huge Thank You to Shirley who changed the dressing every day.
I was in Devon at Matt n Shirley’s whilst house hunting, so that was put on hold. Not allowed to drive the Bear and confined to the house.

Since then a lot has happened. The move down here as certainly sharpened my brain, made me more alert. Well, it’s only taken me eight and a half months to realise that the cutlery tray in the drawer was the wrong way round, wondered why the tin opener kept “disappearing”.
Still not got to grips with the oven on the cooker, I have a witness to this. However the smoke alarm cannot actually speak words but sure can BEEP! Loudly.

Been thinking about looking for a place to buy instead of renting. Pro’s and con’s to renting equals the buying of a place. I do like it here, suits me fine. Seen a few places I like but am finding fault with them. Maybe getting stuck in the rut again. We’ll have to wait and see.
No-one has moved in yet next door, there was people in there yesterday but not aware if they are moving in or the landlords come round to see what needs doing.

Allen and Val are now home, Leafy has left me and gone home. So hoping I can get Allen to come round and give me a hand with the garden. But priorities first, the boats need to be checked out. The Northumberland fishing boat, which is out of the water, needs a re-paint and the bow skid plate needs renewing. Happy to help in anyway I can.
Plus I need Allen to transport the spare 1.8t K engine up to Mike Staffords garage in Littlehampton, Allen has a trailer which Leafy can pull.

Still getting out and about when the weather allows me to do so. Now down to two cars as Banana is in the paint shop, oh! My! How I miss her. Redfive has a wee electrical problem so I need to get her up to Matt’s to get that investigated. Only leaves me the Bear to fall back on or the bus as the last result.

I have no urge to go back to London or to resume my mini tours, well not at the moment anyway. Happy being here in my little home. Cornwall suits me fine. Now used to the slow pace now. Happy with the lack of pollution, clayed Leafy last week and no black deposits in the clay. Had I been in London the clay would have been black.
Found a cracking butchers selling meat straight from the farm. Lovely greengrocers a nd a bakery on the same site.

Thanks for reading, and definitely not going back.................................

pbaker 9th March 2019 12:57

saltash

Hi Bob, well u cannot say ur having a boring life in Saltash. glad to see ur getting over ur hospital trip, u cant keep a good man down for long!. its always an amusing read [apart from the serious stuff] when u come online.

v-man 11th March 2019 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2717704)
Since then a lot has happened. The move down here as certainly sharpened my brain, made me more alert. Well, it’s only taken me eight and a half months to realise that the cutlery tray in the drawer was the wrong way round, wondered why the tin opener kept “disappearing”.
Still not got to grips with the oven on the cooker, I have a witness to this. However the smoke alarm cannot actually speak words but sure can BEEP! Loudly.

Been thinking about looking for a place to buy instead of renting. Pro’s and con’s to renting equals the buying of a place. I do like it here, suits me fine. Seen a few places I like but am finding fault with them. Maybe getting stuck in the rut again. We’ll have to wait and see.
No-one has moved in yet next door, there was people in there yesterday but not aware if they are moving in or the landlords come round to see what needs doing.

Thanks for reading, and definitely not going back.................................

Bob, have you considered buying a halogen oven? For example - https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...inged-lid-p138 - other models and brands available.

Ideal for single people or couples, heats up quickly and seems to save electric over a normal oven. Easy to clean too, should the need arise.

HarryM1BYT 11th March 2019 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2717704)

Buying to me, is both a freedom and financial decision.

Freedom to treat the place as you would your own, it is your own to do with just as you please, not one to stop or restrict you. You are in charge, no permissions needed.

Financial in that no one is seeking to make a profit out of you and many of the repairs you can manage yourself anyway, more quickly than a landlord would tackle them and at a lot less cost, even if you have to pay someone.

I would hate to be renting. If you can buy, buy.

FLYING BANANA 12th March 2019 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 2718336)
Bob, have you considered buying a halogen oven? For example - https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...inged-lid-p138 - other models and brands available.

Ideal for single people or couples, heats up quickly and seems to save electric over a normal oven. Easy to clean too, should the need arise.

I’ve had my halogen oven for 6 years now. It is a Andrew James model. Would not be with out it. I no longer use the gas oven or grill. Got a decent toaster plus you can do toast in the halogen, although it can be a bit long winded. Having said that it it does do ‘ansome cheese on toast.

HarryM1BYT 12th March 2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2718466)
I’ve had my halogen oven for 6 years now. It is a Andrew James model. Would not be with out it. I no longer use the gas oven or grill. Got a decent toaster plus you can do toast in the halogen, although it can be a bit long winded. Having said that it it does do ‘ansome cheese on toast.

I'm extremely well set up for cooking, not that I do much.

A twin gas oven, the top half of which doubles as a toaster, 4 burner gas hob, extract hood which sucks to the outside, I have a microwave which can also grill/toast and work as a conventional small oven, electric toaster plus a couple of slow cookers and electric steak type grills, a toastie maker somewhere and a cheap coffee machine.

My caravan in my drive has a full oven, grill and hob, plus gas, if all else fails :eek:

When I replace something because it is nearing end of life, I tend to keep the old as a spare in a cupboard, so I am never stuck with a broken appliance. I have a spare kettle, toaster and coffee machine stashed away. Buy new, the oldest then gets thrown out.

You cannot beat having a plan A, B and C ;)

FLYING BANANA 13th March 2019 08:27

Been here.........................

.......................................... 9 months now.

Looking around to buy a home now. The house next door to me is coming up For Sale. Going to ask the owners what they want for it. I need to start thinking about the future.

Been in contact with a local company about car storage for Banana for when she comes out of the paint shop, no news yet.
If no room at the inn, so to speak, then the house hunting will begin in earnest tomorrow. Today Allen and I are off to Matt’s to collect some car bits.

Still loving it down here, I know I should have done it earlier but that’s life. There is one very plus side, and that the book I have been trying to write has got finally started without any tears from me. I was finding I could not get past the first page without the memories flooding my cheeks.
Next Tuesday, 19th, will be 10 years since that day that changed our lives forever. There is not a day that goes by I think about the “what if’s”. Val will remain in my heart forevermore.

So I might be moving on to a new home down here, but never going back to Essex to live.

Thanks for reading.

Gate Keeper 14th March 2019 05:09

Good morning Bob, you are doing well in making those changes and coping with your feelings and memories about Val. Have you sought out a garage to rent from the council (if available)? A chap I worked with in the mental hospital in Devizes, had a book published last year about his comical experiences of working in an asylum for 39 years. The book was a work of fiction, so that he could not be sued. After the book was published, he got the bug to write a book about Oliver Cromwell, which was also published. I think you said your book would be for your own use. Hopefully your neighbours will come up trumps. By coincidence, we use a halogen oven for cooking fish. What I like about it, is how the fat is drained off in the process. Have a great day.

FLYING BANANA 18th March 2019 10:36

And so the search...............................

................................................ starts again. Looking ideally for a bungalow but a house will suffice. Must have parking for the girls, and a garage for Banana. Registered with only two estate agents in town this morning. And have 54 viewings over the next two weeks, starting tomorrow.

There is a rather nice bungalow next door to Allen and Val. But an even better house round the corner to where I live at the moment. So we shall see over the next fortnight.

Thanks for reading and the comments.

FLYING BANANA 19th March 2019 11:09

It’s all go.................

................................... viewing properties. I started at 10am this morning and by Noon I had viewed 6 homes. Got another one this afternoon, that’s the bungalow next to Allen’s house.

First one I looked at was in Tideford on the outskirts of Saltash. Beautiful cottage been totally refurbished from top to bottom. Under floor heating throughout. Stunning. But the downside is you are slap bang on the A38, end property. Bare parking for two cars.
2nd viewing was a bungalow in Saltash. Very pleasant and of good order. Would be tight getting three cars in. Downside is the double yellow lines outside so no parking in the road. Had a very nice loft conversion. Still the view across the road to the funeral directors was ok.

3rd viewing was oh! my! Blooming lovely and well within my price range. Garage and allocated parking space. Possibly do away with the rear garden and make another parking space. Plus side of this property is the owner is a carpenter for Princess Yachts, a very up market boat building company. Allen used to work for them.
4th viewing was in a cul-de-sac. Garage and off street parking. Out of my price range though. Plus would need some work.

5th viewing was a very dowdy bungalow. Obviously the previous owners had either gone into a home or had passed away. Completely out of my price range on buying plus it would need to be completely refurbished. Too much work for me.
6th viewing. Well, too much work needed. The place might have had parking for 7 cars but I’m afraid there was nothing else to say about it. You would think that knowing you have a estate agent/buyer coming round at a pre-arranged time you would at least make an effort to be out of bed.

Still I have the bungalow to look at this afternoon. This is with a different estate agent.

FLYING BANANA 19th March 2019 15:55

And that’s................

........................ in the running as well. The bungalow is like the
Tardis, small to look at but lots of room inside. Very compact, but all on one level. Totally surrounded in grass. Bordering the lawn on two sides is a brand new fence that cost over a grand to put up. New floor in the bathroom being fitted as of now. New internal doors being fitted as well.

To the right there is a border of small trees separating the garden from the next house. To the left is a driveway and a garage. In the driveway there is a tree, remove that and there is parking for 8 cars. Allen’s garage backs onto the garden as well.
The garage is on the short side but there is a possibility of extending it forwards, so Banana would be ok in the dry.

Right on the upper limit of my price range. But I’ll be submitting an offer in tomorrow once we find out whether there is a preservation order on the tree.
So fingers crossed there isn’t, and Allen can have some more fuel for his wood burner.

FLYING BANANA 20th March 2019 16:25

The first offer......................

.................................... was a bit cheeky by me, but nothing ventured nothing gained. This is on the bungalow next door to Allen’s.
The owner of the bungalow is on holiday in Florida so is a bit hard to contact but got through ok with the first offer which was naturally turned down.

Had a think and phoned Allen to ask his view on the bungalow, just wanted to know what he thought about it. I have no intention of taking his advice, after all it’s me who will be living there. But to bend an ear of a close friend always helps.
After we chatted I had a sit and a serious think. It’s now or never.

So I have submitted a higher bid, just £5k under the asking price. No point offering anything lower as the owner will no budge on the price. If I get turned down again then switch to either the nice house I viewed yesterday or the other bungalow.
Higher offer has also been refused, owner wants the full asking price.

I still have property to view tomorrow, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday yet.

So fingers crossed. Thanks for the helpful messages.