The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Radio reception issues with double din (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71094)

HarryM1BYT 31st October 2010 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 609464)
I too am suffering from this, and quite badly.

I bought the additional splitter which thus far hasnt improved things at all and the only RDS station I can lock onto is Radio 4, yet the local BBC Station (BBC Radio Ulster) provides the service locally on same set-ups.

As for signal quality, its awful. I even loose radio 1/radio 2 and local stations are a disaster, loosing signal at various speeds and various locations.

Its quite frustrating as I listen to a lot of Radio 2 and BBC Radio Ulster/U105 locally.

Im going to try removing the splitter and using the normal ariel just instead and see if that helps.

Check your antenna amp has a +12 going to it, as well as your own idea to remove the splitter. Your splitter might well be faulty, if it works fine without it, but very badly with it in circuit. In circuit it should deteriorate, but not by very much.

Robson Rover Repair 31st October 2010 22:57

Well ive already tried two other radios with it since and both dont have a built in amp, and they where 100% by comparssision, so im putting it down to the newer unit.

wutang 1st November 2010 10:10

Just to clarify the signal amp when plugged in to the symphony set up gets its power from a connection in the iso block, ie from the back of the stereo, so if you swap the double din for the symphony the amp gets power you then swap back and the signal gets worse, some people may think it is the unit but as the signal amp is no longer being fed power by the head unit connection it is not working.

The best way to test if your amp is getting power is with a multimeter, if you dont have one unplugging the power to the amp should meke the reception much worse.

I will try and get pictures in my lunch break so people can check there conections and we can find out if some people do have issues with there units.

Richard

Teflon 1st November 2010 10:32

Hi Wutang,

Thanks fo this. For what it's worth, I'm still having reception issues, and I can say for certain that the anttenna amp is definitly recieving power.

In my case at least, reception is ok (not as good as the Symphony, but acceptable) without TMC, but once the splitter is introduced, it falls way below par. I think the solution is likely to be a "standalone" aerial for TMC, or possiblly some form of signal booster.

Cliff

taffyduck 1st November 2010 17:31

Yep same here. week signal even when tuned into the local radio station and the amp is getting power, even tried a different powered aerial and still the same, so it must be to do with the new units.

madone 1st November 2010 18:14

Yep same here. week signal even when tuned into the local radio station and the amp is getting power, even tried a different powered aerial and still the same, so it must be to do with the new units.

That worries me. Cant believe a system that is technically 10+ years ahead of a Symphony can give so much problems :mad:

MARKUK 1st November 2010 18:27

It's a tad annoying ! :confused:

madone 1st November 2010 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKUK (Post 609885)
It's a tad annoying ! :confused:

To say the least Mark!!!! Simply I am not technically gifted enough to understand at all :confused:

MARKUK 1st November 2010 22:10

Well the crux of it is that with there being two aerial inputs, one for Radio and one for TMC, both require a strong signal to work and splitting the signal we get from the rear screen aerial simply isn't powerfull enough to satisfy the needs of both things !...

Mikejr 1st November 2010 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKUK (Post 610061)
Well the crux of it is that with there being two aerial inputs, one for Radio and one for TMC, both require a strong signal to work and splitting the signal we get from the rear screen aerial simply isn't powerfull enough to satisfy the needs of both things !...

There's only one aerial input on the back of my unit so I assume that I would need an additional aerial for the TMC side of things (think the TMC aerial provided with the unit is not up to the job) and that the aerial splitter is actually a combiner so that both aerials, i.e the OEM rear screen plus a new TMC aerial (Sharks Fin?), get fed into the one aerial socket on the back of the unit.