The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mis-fire (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316861)

FLYING BANANA 9th January 2022 10:06

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the High Performance coil packs from Rock Auto. Going for a lay down in a dark room now.

DRWMGTF 9th January 2022 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2912600)
Please enlighten me MSD,s ??

And me.
Coil packs?
What is so special about them?
And what is MSD an abbreviation for?
Thanks for enlightening me.
Regards David

FLYING BANANA 9th January 2022 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRWMGTF (Post 2915670)
And me.
Coil packs?
What is so special about them?
And what is MSD an abbreviation for?
Thanks for enlightening me.
Regards David

No idea what MSD stands for. Just the name of the manufacturer I suppose. They can be found on the Holley page.

ceedy 9th January 2022 12:36

MSD is the company name and comes from their original design concepts of . ..... Multiple Spark Discharge :D

edwardmk 9th January 2022 20:56

For what it's worth, my V8 developed an annoying misfire at around 35k miles some years back. Main dealer recommended to change all the plugs at visit one. No change, so I was then told one of the 'Cops' should be replaced as it was faulty. That one standard coil pack cost me almost £300. Drove off and the misfire was still there. I asked for the 'old' pack back, and was informed it had already gone to scrap. They then wanted to replace all the other packs as they were suspect. Cost was to be nearly £2k. I declined and took the car home. I ordered MSD's from the states which cost me around $28 each at the time. A few days after ordering the MSD's I spent the best part of four hours thoroughly cleaning and checking every connector I could find in the engine bay while waiting for the MSD's to arrive.
To my great surprise, the cleaning job fixed the misfire and it hasn't returned( at over £70k miles now.) The MSD's are all in the spare parts bin, but I might fit them one day to see if it helps with the odd little stutters I get when the car is cold. I also read somewhere that the wrong MSD's might damage the engine which put me off fitting them. :getmecoat:

Jeff Turbo 10th January 2022 06:11

Have the ones I sent over arrived then Bob and you tested to see if that was the problem as it's not been proven yet? If not I personally have waited a couple of days till I fitted the replacements I sent over then gone from there.
You may just have wasted your money

FLYING BANANA 10th January 2022 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo (Post 2915800)
Have the ones I sent over arrived then Bob and you tested to see if that was the problem as it's not been proven yet? If not I personally have waited a couple of days till I fitted the replacements I sent over then gone from there.
You may just have wasted your money

Hermes have contacted me to say that they are on there way.

FLYING BANANA 10th January 2022 13:12

The coil packs have arrived from Jeff. Now with the garage who have had no luck in finding any. So I’m very thankful to Jeff for his kind offer.

That’s what the club is all about, helping one and other out.

Jeff Turbo 11th January 2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2915855)
The coil packs have arrived from Jeff. Now with the garage who have had no luck in finding any. So I’m very thankful to Jeff for his kind offer.

That’s what the club is all about, helping one and other out.

Not a problem, I was under the impression you had also bought a set from Rock Auto before these arrived?

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2022 15:36

Still haven’t got the car back. Usually the garage are very good but for some reason they forgot about the Bear. Now hoping it will be ready by Monday.