The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Overseas Club Members Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   LHD Headlights (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206220)

The Grocer 23rd January 2015 07:02

LHD Headlights

I'm looking for a set of LHD (European) Headlights for my 2003 '75.

I know I can buy them at rather "high prices" new, but is a bit out of my budget
currently.............

Any member with a set, or knowledge of a scraped LHD '75 please contact me....

Many thanks

rich17865 23rd January 2015 07:08

I don't think the new ones are that expensive, how much are you looking to spend?

I know LHD headlights are like hens teeth.

FROGGY 23rd January 2015 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grocer (Post 1897736)
I'm looking for a set of LHD (European) Headlights for my 2003 '75.

I know I can buy them at rather "high prices" new, but is a bit out of my budget
currently.............

Any member with a set, or knowledge of a scraped LHD '75 please contact me....

Many thanks

What type of lights are they?
If xenons, then you are looking at a bankloan.
If not, then try Le Bon Coin website, there are usually one or two on there.
HTH
Mick

COLVERT 5th February 2015 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich17865 (Post 1897742)
I don't think the new ones are that expensive, how much are you looking to spend?

I know LHD headlights are like hens teeth.

250 Euros EACH.--:eek::eek::eek:

JB Tourer 6th February 2015 01:45

LHD Headlights

I could get you a couple of LHD MG7 headlights if you want. They are halogen, no xenon. I am not sure of the price but I think they are ab out 75 pounds each. If you are interested I'll check for you. Postage would be about 20 pounds and take a couple of weeks. All the best, JB

kurtDeVos 6th February 2015 07:56

If they are projectors you can disassemble them and remove the pattern plate and use a dremel to flatten it off, reassemble and aim your beam lower due to less material on the pattern plate.

Had to do this a few times for RHD cars to pass the Netherlands APK.

FROGGY 6th February 2015 08:41

The OP hasn't responded to any posts.
We need full info as to what he has fitted before we can give a definitive answer.
Mick

COLVERT 6th February 2015 16:45

Don't you just Hate it when someone asks a question and two weeks later hasn't even been back to see the replies ???

:flame::flame::flame:

FROGGY 6th February 2015 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 1912206)
Don't you just Hate it when someone asks a question and two weeks later hasn't even been back to see the replies ???

:flame::flame::flame:

YEP..............:devil:

COLVERT 8th February 2015 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROGGY (Post 1912325)
YEP..............:devil:

Probably doesn't sell many groceries either.--:p::p::p::p::p::p:--;)

COLVERT 16th February 2015 17:34

Makes you laugh-------The OP, who hasn't even bothered to come back, left a message saying----PLEASE contact me-----He also left NO CONTACT info !!!! :duh:

What a Wally.--:D:D:D

Woof25 17th February 2015 16:56

Actually he does have pm facility and to ber fair as a newbie he may not be that familiar with how we do things, lets be charitable to someone who asked a reasonable question, but couldnt he put the deflectors on set of RHD lights to make them comply with french regulations >

COLVERT 17th February 2015 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof25 (Post 1923389)
Actually he does have pm facility and to be fair as a newbie he may not be that familiar with how we do things, lets be charitable to someone who asked a reasonable question, but couldn't he put the deflectors on a set of RHD lights to make them comply with French regulations .

Absolutely agree-----------but he does have to make an appearance in order to see he has a PM facility.--:eek::eek::eek:

I live in France.

Stickers are accepted only here and there, not all over the place. ( These French have their funny little ways. Lol. )

Your comment on him being a NEWBIE made me laugh. You don't have to be a newbie to realise that if you don't come back you've NO chance of reading anything. ( Have a quick read of your own post. See what I mean ?? ):D:D:D

Colvert.--:bowdown:

Number 6 17th February 2015 18:44

Does he want MK1 or Face lift.????????:shrug:Am I right in thinking 2003 could be either???

COLVERT 17th February 2015 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 1923502)
Does he want MK1 or Face lift.????????:shrug:Am I right in thinking 2003 could be either???

2003=MK 1.

Doesn't really matter now cos he's VANISHED.---:eek::eek::eek:

Number 6 17th February 2015 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by colvert (Post 1923546)
2003=mk 1.

Doesn't really matter now cos he's vanished.---:eek::eek::eek:

zoot alors;)

Woof25 18th February 2015 07:23

yes colvertyou do indeed have to return to get a response,unless of course he assumes we are all capable of thought transference :} Wasn't Edward Heath called rthe Grocer so perhaps its a call from beyond for help, if so glad to hear there have rovers up therebut driving on the right ??? :D:D

COLVERT 18th February 2015 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof25 (Post 1923892)
yes colvertyou do indeed have to return to get a response,unless of course he assumes we are all capable of thought transference :} Wasn't Edward Heath called rthe Grocer so perhaps its a call from beyond for help, if so glad to hear there have rovers up therebut driving on the right ??? :D:D

Aha !!! On the right, eh-:D

I've just spotted your signature which just happens to be------------FRENCH.

( Which translates to, very roughly,--------Evil to him who thinks evil of it. )-:shrug:

Woof25 19th February 2015 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 1924680)
Aha !!! On the right, eh-:D

I've just spotted your signature which just happens to be------------FRENCH.

( Which translates to, very roughly,--------Evil to him who thinks evil of it. )-:shrug:

i know, it is the motto of the knights of the garter and is attributed to a stuart king who to avoid a ladies embarassment picked up her garter and placing it on his own leg declaring 'honi sou que mal y pense' and thus creating the motto of the order. As to the Grocer if he doesnt return for an answer then so be it his loss n ot ours. You do know we ride on the left so we can draw our swords to defend ourselves:D vive la difference

Peter1968 29th June 2015 19:23

Dremel makes it work

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtDeVos (Post 1911899)
If they are projectors you can disassemble them and remove the pattern plate and use a dremel to flatten it off, reassemble and aim your beam lower due to less material on the pattern plate.

Had to do this a few times for RHD cars to pass the Netherlands APK.

Yes you can do it with the help of a dremel. :D:D But one has to be very careful. I also did it and passed the German TÜV. ;);)

It´s only little material that one has to grind away !!!!

Anyway, this method saves a lot of money.

The Grocer 20th August 2015 15:34

Sorry

OK Guys, be kind......I'm really sorry I have not responded nor been on the site, no real excuses apart from the fact I had to return to Greece in February and now just got back in France. Having to register it on French plates I remembered I put the request on......:duh:

I have managed to obtain the RHS headlight at 50 euro, so the search is now on for a LHS unit......

Thanks to all who did respond though......

COLVERT 21st August 2015 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grocer (Post 2076604)
OK Guys, be kind......I'm really sorry I have not responded nor been on the site, no real excuses apart from the fact I had to return to Greece in February and now just got back in France. Having to register it on French plates I remembered I put the request on......:duh:

I have managed to obtain the RHS headlight at 50 euro, so the search is now on for a LHS unit......

Thanks to all who did respond though......

De rien.-----------:D

klarzy 21st August 2015 20:15

there were a couple of LHD pairs on ebay...

I am thinking of getting one pair of LHD xenons to do as cats eyes

mbev51 27th August 2015 07:16

Hi, think I saw some on leboncoin.fr the other day, 50 euros each.

350zwelgje 27th August 2015 20:50

Have a look on websites in Belgium, you probably find what you need as many cars get broken for parts over here now as well...
Or you even can pickup a complete one for the price of one headlight if it has clutch, engine, MOT issues or a combination of those.

Thousands of LHD 75s were sold new, which is a long time a go unfortenately, as they were popular and avialable at a good price, compared to the competition. The Belgium importer for BMW is located since a long time in my village and they all liked to drive around in a 75! So back then it was not a rare sight - the opposite, but now it is since quite some years.
Still a car that people like, but don't dare to own. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Rob

The Grocer 31st August 2015 20:08

Hopefully I have found a left side (I have the right side already), for 50 euros....Just waiting to see if it gets delivered !

Thanks for info guys......

GibraltarSean 27th September 2015 21:51

More info on LHD xenons head lamps....

hi all, newbie here, apologies if hijacking the thread, but saw the LHD headlamp 'head liner' and wondered if someone could advise me on the following...

Can a RHD xenon head lamp be fitted to a LHD vehicle and the 'cross over' of beam angle from right to left be done by (as advised to me by a RHD seller...) by simple means of some euro switch? does this make sense to anyone???

Best Regards,
Sean.

klarzy 28th September 2015 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by GibraltarSean (Post 2106207)
hi all, newbie here, apologies if hijacking the thread, but saw the LHD headlamp 'head liner' and wondered if someone could advise me on the following...

Can a RHD xenon head lamp be fitted to a LHD vehicle and the 'cross over' of beam angle from right to left be done by (as advised to me by a RHD seller...) by simple means of some euro switch? does this make sense to anyone???

Best Regards,
Sean.

There is a lever to go from rhd to flat for temporary use like holidays but it will not pass a European mot.
There is a pair of lhd xenons on ebay.

Prelude91 15th October 2015 14:36

Hi Guys.
Are we assuming here that the only mods needed to pass the French ' Service Des Mines' to successfully import an English spec. R75 into France, is suitable H/Light beam replacement, or merely blanking off the English high beam with deflectors.

klarzy 15th October 2015 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prelude91 (Post 2119186)
Hi Guys.
Are we assuming here that the only mods needed to pass the French ' Service Des Mines' to successfully import an English spec. R75 into France, is suitable H/Light beam replacement, or merely blanking off the English high beam with deflectors.

As the op s original post was about headlghts then that has been the only subject of diacussion

Number 6 15th October 2015 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prelude91 (Post 2119186)
Hi Guys.

You need to replace the headlamps to LHD to pass the French CT:shrug:

RoverAlicante 16th October 2015 11:39

I bought my LHD years ago in spain they where less than 200 euros. Try to locate some in france or spain.

klarzy 16th October 2015 11:48

there are LHD halogen projectors new on ebay for £245.00

COLVERT 25th October 2015 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2119262)
You need to replace the headlamps to LHD to pass the French CT:shrug:

My car has gone through the last three CT's with British headlights masked.

Depends which station you go to I guess.---:shrug:

Peter1968 10th December 2015 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com (Post 2106304)
There is a lever to go from rhd to flat for temporary use like holidays but it will not pass a European mot.
There is a pair of lhd xenons on ebay.

As I said, for using the RHD xenons for LHD, one has to use carefully a dremel,
but it´s possible to convert them. :-)

COLVERT 9th November 2017 18:24

There are, at this moment in time, LHD headlights available on this forum.---:D:D:D

Leachim 19th November 2017 21:23

RHD/LHD confusion re France...

I have found the question of LHD/RHD headlamps, Xénons and the French ''contrôle technique'', equivalent of the British MOT or the German TÜV, pretty confusing.

I was convinced that I would have a problem with the French ''contrôle technique'' which I needed in order to register my RHD Rover 75, equipped with Xénons, in France. I also never did figure out where the levers were to change from RHD to LHD, nor how to move them when I did.

But lo and behold, when it came to having the car tested at my local French test centre, it passed in so far as the headlights were concerned (it failed on a badly worn trackrod end, however, so they're not entirely slack).

I was so surprised that I asked the boss of the test centre to check the headlights again to make sure the beam conformed to French standards. He did check again, and assured me they were ok (Of course it could be that the levers have already been moved in the right way. But how to tell?!?!).

Another explanation might be that the French test is not very throrough or demanding (I see many cars on French roads with badly adjusted headlights) .

Yet another might be the fact that despite having Xénons, the headlights on this car seems pretty feeble (and yet the glass/perspex looks bright and clear). The standard halogens on my Peugeot 605 and my Toyota Hilux seem to be better.

Comprenne qui pourra !

COLVERT 21st November 2017 21:35

The very first thing you have to do is find that adjusting lever. Then------shine your lights at a flat surface like a garage door for instance.

As you move the lever you will see your lights have a flat top beam or they will kick up to the left. ( The English direction. )

The flat top beams won't dazzle oncoming drivers in France and thus are generally accepted by the CT test stations.

Colvert.---:D

dbt01 4th December 2017 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2566246)
The very first thing you have to do is find that adjusting lever. Then------shine your lights at a flat surface like a garage door for instance.

As you move the lever you will see your lights have a flat top beam or they will kick up to the left. ( The English direction. )

The flat top beams won't dazzle oncoming drivers in France and thus are generally accepted by the CT test stations.

Colvert.---:D

Strange, but on my LHD 2005 R75V8, Dutch spec., one halogen projector headlamp has the lever and the other not! I assume one of the units had been changed at some time (which?), but surprised that they came with or without anyway. All the numbers and Hella/Rover labels on the two units are correct.

David

dbt01 4th December 2017 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter1968 (Post 2166278)
As I said, for using the RHD xenons for LHD, one has to use carefully a dremel,
but it´s possible to convert them. :-)

See: http://www.cbi.dk/images/div/HOW%20T...20to%20LHD.pdf

David

COLVERT 6th April 2018 19:25

The French CT ( MOT. ) will no longer accept headlights other than the correct LHD ones.

Also from May 2018 the French CT has become much more comprehensive.-:eek:

alanaslan 25th August 2021 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2127615)
My car has gone through the last three CT's with British headlights masked.

Depends which station you go to I guess.---:shrug:

Found this whilst ploughing through some old threads. I used to go over to France either once or twice a year for endurance racing and classic racing. When I bought my 75 on launch night it had all the toys as I had ticked every box on the order card. One of the extras I had got with the car was a full set of sat nav discs covering the whole world. So as we boarded the ferry the disc in the boot got changed over. The other extra that was a god send was the 6 headlight protectors 4 for use in the UK and 2 for the dipped beam in Europe with the offending area of the lens masked. These were great less than 30 seconds to change over and no blinding oncoming cars. The other great advantage was the protection offered to the light unit. During the years I used them I suffered 4 cracked covers caused by stone damage. It was much cheaper to replace the cover than to have to replace the full head light unit.
For some reason they never seemed to catch on. Our 75 that lived in Spain had a set fitted and passed its test every time with no problems. Sadly my health meant that the Spanish option was dropped from the options. You never know what is in front of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mileshawk56 26th August 2021 12:56

So me moving that nasty cheap looking lever at the back of the headlight every time I went to France was pointless. It looked alright against my garage wall. Chris S.

COLVERT 30th August 2021 20:35

My post 41 says it all now.----:shrug: