The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Prince Phillip has passed away (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312270)

Dorset Bob 9th April 2021 11:13

Prince Philip - RIP

Just announced:

The Duke of Edinburgh - Prince Philip - has died, Buckingham Palace has said.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

wullie480 9th April 2021 11:13

Duke of Edinburgh RIP

Just heard the duke of Edinburgh has passed at the age of 99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLYING BANANA 9th April 2021 11:14

Prince Phillip has passed away

The Queen has announced that her beloved husband Prince Phillip passed away this morning. RIP to a legend.

torque2me 9th April 2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2875885)
Just announced:

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

None of that namby pamby stuff from him......tell it like it is! :}

Kev

Saga Lout 9th April 2021 11:33

A good man

He has served this country in many ways with dignity, humour and a fighting spirit that didn't know how to quit. He was the kind of man that inspired the lives of many whilst quietly being the Queens shadow, his loss was to be expected but our country is poorer for that loss.
RIP Prince Phillip.

Georgies Dad 9th April 2021 11:38

Bob

Perhaps the banner should be turned black,out of respect ,as he was the longest serving Prince Consort in British History.

Georgies Dad 9th April 2021 11:39

RIP Your Royal Highness

J1MBO 9th April 2021 11:57

RIP Prince Philip.

As said elsewhere, an extraordinary man who led an extraordinary life!

RPWC 9th April 2021 12:08

Sometimes a bit tactless with his comments but nevertheless a very sad loss to the country. RIP your Royal Highness

Simondi 9th April 2021 12:40

Sad news indeed.
A much loved husband, father and grandfather has died, his family will be devastated.

Rest in peace

Threads merged

Odd Job 9th April 2021 12:48

Sad news

R.i.p. Prince Philip

coolguy 9th April 2021 13:18

Moderators

Can we please turn the banner BLACK. Thank you.

The Rovering Member 9th April 2021 13:37

A shame he didn't get the telegram fom Her Majesty. RIP Prince Philip.

Lancpudn 9th April 2021 13:39

Sad news indeed, RIP Prince Philip.

stevestrat 9th April 2021 13:44

I was watching Paramedics On Scene at lunchtime when the screen went black and Special Announcement came up, I thought this ain't gonna be good.

Great loss to the country and an even greater loss to the Queen. RIP Your Royal Highness.

Another vote for turning the banner black as a mark of respect.

Bastelmann 9th April 2021 14:29

RIP Prince Philip!

Arctic 9th April 2021 14:42

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgies Dad (Post 2875894)
Bob

Perhaps the banner should be turned black,out of respect ,as he was the longest serving Prince Consort in British History.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2875918)
Moderators

Can we please turn the banner BLACK. Thank you.

Why ? he was not a member of this club, he did not own a R40, lived a very privileged life, all on the back of the tax payer, i doubt he ever gave you or i second thought, also the rest of the royal family i doubt they give two hoots what happens to the ever day person.

At the end of the day he or they could with one swift move of a pen stop all homeless people living on the streets, lets be honest they the royal family have lived of the state for hundreds of years and still do now.

I think by now you have guessed i am not a royalist, yes it's sad for his wife and family as it is for anyone whom loses a loved one but lets not make the guy an hero he's not.

As always just voicing my opinion :shrug:

MissMoppet 9th April 2021 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2875937)

At the end of the day he or they could with one swift move of a pen stop all homeless people living on the streets, lets be honest they the royal family have lived of the state for hundreds of years and still do now.

Right on . . . Some years ago I paid to take my Deutsche g-children round the Royal Mews and I was asked if I wanted to add a Charity Gift Aid. On asking what the charity was I was told "The Queen." You couldn't make it up.

Saga Lout 9th April 2021 17:13

But

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2875937)
Why ? he was not a member of this club, he did not own a R40, lived a very privileged life, all on the back of the tax payer, i doubt he ever gave you or i second thought, also the rest of the royal family i doubt they give two hoots what happens to the ever day person.

I think by now you have guessed i am not a royalist, yes it's sad for his wife and family as it is for anyone whom loses a loved one but lets not make the guy an hero he's not.

As always just voicing my opinion :shrug:

You won't have read how he saved people from being bombed or the two airmen he saved then? He was lucky enough to become the husband to the Queen, she pursued him against the advice of the people in power back then. It's true he had many trappings of the Royal life but, he worked well into his 90's and his last duty was in the pouring rain. There are many hangers on in the Royals but this man wasn't one of them, he earned his keep and was a war hero in reality, his award scheme has helped many people have better lives since the 50's because he actually cared enough to do something, that's not the actions of an aloof person. I think that this time you're wrong in your opinion and his service to this country deserves better.

VVC-Geeza 9th April 2021 17:46

It's ironical he should be blessed with a very long and comfortable life.Unlike the many hundreds if not thousands of beautiful creatures he slaughtered in the name of 'sport'!

Arctic 9th April 2021 17:57

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saga Lout (Post 2875955)
You won't have read how he saved people from being bombed or the two airmen he saved then? He was lucky enough to become the husband to the Queen, she pursued him against the advice of the people in power back then. It's true he had many trappings of the Royal life but, he worked well into his 90's and his last duty was in the pouring rain. There are many hangers on in the Royals but this man wasn't one of them, he earned his keep and was a war hero in reality, his award scheme has helped many people have better lives since the 50's because he actually cared enough to do something, that's not the actions of an aloof person. I think that this time you're wrong in your opinion and his service to this country deserves better.

Hi Michael.
It is up to the club owners to turn the banner black, i was and am only giving my opinion on why should it.

Call him an hero and quote his last duty was standing in the rain it's a far cry from working in the mines at the coal face, or working in an hot furnace, and going home to hardly any food on the table, also quote him as an hero to those that were at Dunkirk etc, one being my grandfather whom also had no time for the royal family.

Why they married each other ? who knows, but he was introduced to his cousin the queen at aged 13 she being 8 you can bet your bottom dollar the social climbing Mountbatten's more or less started from then to make sure they got together.

Anyways i am not out for an argument with anyone on the forum over someone whom i never personally knew, what i do know he did not give any
contribution to this club.

What will be will be.

coolguy 9th April 2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2875961)
Hi Michael.
It is up to the club owners to turn the banner black, , what i do know he did not give any
contribution to this club.

Not strictly true. As President of the RAC he supported an organisation which still campaigns for motorists, unlike the AA which only wants to sell its insurance and other products for profit.

Arctic 9th April 2021 18:58

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolguy (Post 2875969)
Not strictly true. As President of the RAC he supported an organisation which still campaigns for motorists, unlike the AA which only wants to sell its insurance and other products for profit.[/QUOTE

]

Hi Malcolm.
good evening to you and hope you are keeping well and safe, now lets not twist and turn the reason to my question Why.

It matter not one jot that he was the President of the RAC, it still remains he did not pay any subs to this club, nor did he start or post on any of the threads, he did not help solve any of our problems with our cars, in fact he was not a member. :shrug:

Therefore just being someone of high nobility does not mean he deserves the right to have the banner turned black, no more than my uncle whom passed away two days ago, the only thing my uncle had to do with a Rover 75 MGZT was being driven to and from pub in one, by me his personal taxi. :D

But as i say it's up to the owners they own the club not me or you, we only contribute to it staying at the top of google search ;)

stevestrat 9th April 2021 19:18

This thread was created to pay respects to a man who served this country for 80 years in a military capacity and at the Queen's side as the Prince Consort. Lets keep it at that.

trikey 9th April 2021 19:57

Driving back from Harwich this afternoon, it was nice to see flags at half mast on church towers.

RIP.

Les4048 9th April 2021 20:01

Man was a legend and I often wonder if he liked putting his foot in things at times, I suspect he’d a good laugh about it

clf 9th April 2021 20:02

[QUOTE=Arctic;2875971]
Quote:

]

in fact he was not a member. :shrug:
.... that you know of lol ;)

but I agree with you regarding the banner (by the same logic non subscribed members should be allowed to advertise cars or parts for sale, or discussing political matters, if so, I did read the Royal College are considering asking Sinn Fein to arrange the funeral).

I have no feelings on the man himself, as he and the rest of the Royal family, have no consequence on my life, other than a begrudging respect for what must have been a pretty restrained or restricted existence.

Anything I have read previously, always seemed to jar against what the press had reported (eg the Duke of Edinburgh awards or his work ethics, albeit sometimes questionable attitudes, jars against the various faux pas comments he made at official gatherings).

clf 9th April 2021 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2875973)
This thread was created to pay respects to a man who served this country for 80 years in a military capacity and at the Queen's side as the Prince Consort. Lets keep it at that.

Surely his active military career ended February 1952? The next 66 years would have been a figurehead :shrug:

Dorset Bob 9th April 2021 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2875981)
Driving back from Harwich this afternoon, it was nice to see flags at half mast on church towers.

RIP.

This evening the church bell was tolling in our village.
A moving token of respect, which made me feel proud of our British culture.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

planenut 9th April 2021 22:05

An outstanding performance in supporting Our Queen. His support to organizations and many citizens hopefully giving him "hold your head up Sir" bonus points, regardless of our varied opinions. What an innings.

sworks 9th April 2021 22:41

Very privileged to of met him once, he came across as a very nice guy.

clf 9th April 2021 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2876003)
This evening the church bell was tolling in our village.
A moving token of respect, which made me feel proud of our British culture.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

embarrassingly this was the mark of respect proposed over here.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...protests_1.png

for protests, read riotous behaviour!

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2876004)
An outstanding performance in supporting Our Queen. His support to organizations and many citizens hopefully giving him "hold your head up Sir" bonus points, regardless of our varied opinions. What an innings.

...... regardless of my opinion of him (or lack of), I do agree with this. His personal life, and service were all cut short due to his obligations (whether he excelled or not). Either by a sense of duty or love, you have to respect someone who endured so much critique in relative silence whilst continuing
and not once reacting via an interview with an American chat show host :p:.

I am not sure I could have withstood his life, even if I did have the upbringing and early life he had. Whether you are a republican, resent him or the organisation he was embedded in, you have to respect his resilience and resolve.

Gate Keeper 10th April 2021 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2875885)
Just announced:

Thank you Bob for the alert. We heard about it yesterday whilst listening to the world service and my immediate thoughts were for the Queen and the feelings of loss and bereavement which she now has to face. I am hoping she remains strong and gets through this difficult time.

HRH Prince Philip RIP

macafee2 10th April 2021 07:39

The DOE perhaps is responsible for the life I had had since I was 18, 40 years ago.
I met my wife as she was doing her DOE award hike. If we had not met that day we would never have met as we lived 80 miles apart.
I dont now anything about his life or what he has done but it does seem that via the DOE Award, many lives have been touched.

I appreciate there is some dislike of the Royal Family but he was someones father, grandfather, friend and husband and what ever one may think of the Royal family, we should remember that that person was loved and will be missed.

macafee2

mileshawk56 10th April 2021 09:47

Pul,? what the f--c is that? Chris.S.

Atlan 10th April 2021 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mileshawk56 (Post 2876045)
Pul,? what the f--c is that? Chris.S.

PUL Protestant Unionist Loyalist from what I believe.

planenut 10th April 2021 11:10

Trying to get on with various jobs today, constantly distracted by insights into the life he led, well, closely following somebody else.

I loved his comment that "when treading on thin ice so often, sometime you fall in".

RPWC 10th April 2021 11:38

Ott

Do we have to be subjected to constant 24/7 coverage of Prince Philip’s passing by the BBC.? I respect the fact that a very public figure and senior royal has died, and it’s a tragic loss for the family, but it doesn’t need constant blanket coverage on all BBC channels for the next week. We had all day yesterday of them covering his life which was interesting in parts, but at the end of it all he was a very old man who had come to the natural end of his life. What more do we need to know? Philip himself had stated he didn’t want a fuss. Just to add, I am not anti royal at all, I like the Queen and PP.

wraymond 10th April 2021 12:14

He was a product of a system that is held in reverence by a huge majority of the population and around the world and performed the expected duties to the full. Whether or not people agree or disagree with the standing of such people, or the structures of nobility, is irrelevant. His life was devoted to his wife and family just like everyone on here and his passing will leave a huge gap in those he leaves behind. There is no doubt he was a major asset to the Queen in her faultless position and kept himself above reproach. An admirable chap by any measure.

As for the banner, in my view that should be reserved for matters relating entirely to the club and those who have contributed in any way that is generally held to be worthy. The club is not a nationalistic or sectarian entity and exceeds its remit by recognising popular trending affairs of this nature. Conducting polls can only result in a slightly bad taste.

RPWC 10th April 2021 12:51

Quote from Macafee 2
(I appreciate there is some dislike of the Royal Family but he was someones father, grandfather, friend and husband and what ever one may think of the Royal family, we should remember that that person was loved and will be missed.)

macafee2[/QUOTE]
Totally agree with you Ian

Bogbrush82 10th April 2021 13:46

I know not everybody will be interested, but I made a petition to name the next Royal Navy ship after him.

http://chng.it/Tyt4mkH5YH

SCP440 10th April 2021 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2876058)
Do we have to be subjected to constant 24/7 coverage of Prince Philip’s passing by the BBC.? I respect the fact that a very public figure and senior royal has died, and it’s a tragic loss for the family, but it doesn’t need constant blanket coverage on all BBC channels for the next week. We had all day yesterday of them covering his life which was interesting in parts, but at the end of it all he was a very old man who had come to the natural end of his life. What more do we need to know? Philip himself had stated he didn’t want a fuss. Just to add, I am not anti royal at all, I like the Queen and PP.

I am with you on this Rich, its very sad and I feel sorry for Liz but he did not want a fuss and we have had a constant stream of how amazing he was on all the channels for the last 24 hours, why do the BBC need to put the same program on both 1 and 2?

The wife has just said if its like this for him what will it be like when the Liz leaves us.

trikey 10th April 2021 18:11

Quote:

Better than watching Covid news 24/7

stevestrat 10th April 2021 18:21

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2876101)
I am with you on this Rich, its very sad and I feel sorry for Liz but he did not want a fuss and we have had a constant stream of how amazing he was on all the channels for the last 24 hours, why do the BBC need to put the same program on both 1 and 2?

You are not alone, the BBC had had to put a dedicated complaint form on its website. It was well over the top, by all means dedicate one channel but BBC1 & 2, BBC news, even BBC Alba and BBC 4 was suspended, even BBC radio was playing "reflective" music all day.

Atlan 10th April 2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2876080)
I know not everybody will be interested, but I made a petition to name the next Royal Navy ship after him.

Think you have been beat to it.
https://thekristoffersuniverseinwar....rcraft_carrier

RPWC 10th April 2021 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2876135)
You are not alone, the BBC had had to put a dedicated complaint form on its website. It was well over the top, by all means dedicate one channel but BBC1 & 2, BBC news, even BBC Alba and BBC 4 was suspended, even BBC radio was playing "reflective" music all day.

ALL radio stations were playing sombre music yesterday;even Planet Rock it was absolutely ridiculous; even today all BBC channels and ITV were devoted to HRH's death.

stevestrat 10th April 2021 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2876080)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlan (Post 2876138)

In case you haven't bothered reading it, the link posted by Atlan refers to the new Royal Navy aircraft carriers, four in total are planned. The first and already operational is HMS Queen Elizabeth, second (under construction, due 2024) is HMS Prince Of Wales, the third will be HMS Duke Of Edinburgh so naming a ship after him is already planned.

Bogbrush82 11th April 2021 09:06

I had read it, but I'm pretty sure the order was reduced to the 2 ships we currently have.

Phil th Barrow 11th April 2021 09:43

Gardeners world was removed Friday night.!!!! (I was looking forward to it). But they did put it on last night so i could view a bit of history on lawn mowers. So all was not lost..

Gate Keeper 11th April 2021 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2876011)
Very privileged to of met him once, he came across as a very nice guy.

Hi Mark and welcome to the day, I hope you are well.

This morning I was chatting to my Brother in Law....his son had met PP and the Queen several times at Buckingham Palace. During one of the visits, whilst waiting in a lounge for the Queen to arrive, there was Charles and Phillip sitting with the newspapers, comparing page 3 of the Sun.

Are you able to say how you met HRH Prince Phillip?

cantabro75 11th April 2021 11:24

Gentlemans, my deep feeling from Spain for the passed away of His Royal Highness. We have in Spain seen Him allways not only as relative of Her Majesty Queen Sophia , but also as a person that he said what he thought many times, and was popular here for that.
We pray God for his Soul, for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, all the Royal Family
R.I.P

trikey 11th April 2021 11:36

Work have put the flags at half mast..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b79e0bd992.jpg

Rogue 11th April 2021 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2876233)
Are you able to say how you met HRH Prince Phillip?

I was a member of the Royal guard when they visited HMS Dolphin for the trooping of the Submarine colours, something that had happened rarely in the past. When they inspected us he was always lagging behind the queen as he constantly stopped to have a chat with most of the guard. I think he felt most at home and at ease when it was a naval duty to perform considering his early career in the service.
Met Diana the year before when she came aboard HMS Trafalgar for a day at sea.

torque2me 13th April 2021 19:26

Never date or marry a woman that considers the horse her partner....:eek:

Kev

Atlan 14th April 2021 08:33

Some not quite on the mark:

On a trip to China in the 1980s, he warned British students: "You'll get slitty eyes if you stay too long."

- During a visit to Oban in Scotland in 1995, he asked a driving instructor: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the (driving) test?"

- In 1999, while on a tour of a company near Edinburgh, Scotland, he saw a poorly wired fuse box.
"It looks as though it was put in by an Indian," he said.

- While touring Australia in 2002, he asked an Aborigine whether they still threw spears at each other.

VVC-Geeza 15th April 2021 08:59

I'm in agreement with his sentiments,however they are perhaps a little hypocritical from someone who hunted now endangered species for sport.
I was always mystified how someone with a dubious history on animal welfare could become president of The World Wildlife Fund.

wraymond 15th April 2021 12:09

He is occasionally blunt, almost to the point of mockery in a once-upon-a-time gentlemanly manner. Just as I, and many others, have been on here. Those times are as departed as the man himself.

Times change and later assessment warrants a realisation that all things change, sometimes not necessarily for the better. His history now falls hostage to the ‘woke’ industry and an open season (to use his own terms) on generationally established practice.

An example from today’s press which goes quite a way to highlight his succinct and unstated natural courtesy:

‘Norman Tebbit’s late wife Margaret fretted about a state dinner at Buckingham Palace because of her difficulty using cutlery*. She was even more horrified on arrival to find that she had been placed next to Prince Philip. However, the minute the first course arrived he handed his cutlery to the footman and then ate the entire meal with his fingers. Of course, Margaret could then do the same.’

Can anybody care to hazard a guess just how much one’s cutlery at a state dinner is on table?

*Lady Tebbit's difficulties are widely remembered.

planenut 15th April 2021 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2876833)

An example from today’s press which goes quite a way to highlight his succinct and unstated natural courtesy:

‘Norman Tebbit’s late wife Margaret fretted about a state dinner at Buckingham Palace because of her difficulty using cutlery*. She was even more horrified on arrival to find that she had been placed next to Prince Philip. However, the minute the first course arrived he handed his cutlery to the footman and then ate the entire meal with his fingers. Of course, Margaret could then do the same.’

Can anybody care to hazard a guess just how much one’s cutlery at a state dinner is on table?

Wow, what a great example of his character.

Saga Lout 15th April 2021 18:44

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2876833)
He is occasionally blunt, almost to the point of mockery in a once-upon-a-time gentlemanly manner. Just as I, and many others, have been on here. Those times are as departed as the man himself.

Times change and later assessment warrants a realisation that all things change, sometimes not necessarily for the better. His history now falls hostage to the ‘woke’ industry and an open season (to use his own terms) on generationally established practice.

Time will show us many examples of how he was, things we didn't get to hear will be talked about, and then we'll know the quality of the man that's been lost to so many.

RPWC 16th April 2021 07:07

No doubt the BBC will be broadcasting the funeral for the next week.

planenut 16th April 2021 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2876928)

That's fine by me.

Phil th Barrow 16th April 2021 08:22

I thought he didn't want a fuss.???

Bogbrush82 16th April 2021 18:50

Wow - It appears I've made an impression! :eek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Edinburgh.html

I just checked - 14,545 as of right now.

mileshawk56 17th April 2021 10:47

Someone,somewhere said "funerals are not for the deceased but for the relatives" Its about right. An officer and a gentleman- dont always get the two together. Chris S.

planenut 17th April 2021 20:22

Nice weather allowed the funeral to proceed without interference from nature. All those in attendance doing their finest. A moving memorial and sad procession.

An abiding memory of Her Majesty being led out on her own, so very much alone.

Lots of security in Windsor Great Park.

Bogbrush82 17th April 2021 23:40

I hate to admit it, but losing Phillip after 70 years of marriage may cause the Queens health to deteriorate quite quickly. My next door neighbour who was an RAF vet lost his wife of 65 years, and it crushed him so much that he died 2 months later in a care home.

I hope it wont end the same way for her, but I can see it being a possibility. :(

wraymond 18th April 2021 10:33

The pictures in the papers today showed the lady as being very alone. I would have thought Charles would be sitting 6' away but the whole pew area was vacant. Thought provoking. Sometimes protocol is served cold.

WillyHeckaslike 18th April 2021 11:56

She wasn't as alone as many of the pics suggest. Seated in the same pew block beside her but socially distanced from her were Andrew, Anne + Husband and Harry. Seating plan shown here: Click

planenut 18th April 2021 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike (Post 2877271)
She wasn't as alone as many of the pics suggest. Seated in the same pew block beside her but socially distanced from her were Andrew, Anne + Husband and Harry. Seating plan shown here: Click

Regardless of the distance, she was and is, very alone.

wraymond 18th April 2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike (Post 2877271)

Not according to my paper WillyH. I count 14 empty seats around her. Sorrow, solitude and dignity. Maybe they were filled later. You did say The Sun didn't you?

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...c5da00b73a.jpg

WillyHeckaslike 18th April 2021 17:01

Ah, but Raymondo, that pic like many others was pre-service. The Queen like many other attendees did not take part in the funeral procession and was therefore pre-seated awaiting its arrival in the chapel. The procession followed the coffin into the chapel and once the coffin was in position for the service those who took part in the procession made their way to their allotted seat. The Queen was therefore not as alone as some pics suggest and for the service itself Andrew was but two seats away from her side in the same row and block. Interestingly, the vault in the chapel will not be the duke's final resting place. He will be removed on the Queen's passing and taken to Frogmore where both will be reunited in death.

mileshawk56 18th April 2021 17:37

Sometimes you want to be alone, nothing peculiar about that,its your choice. Chris.S

clf 18th April 2021 17:52

Here is a quote from a post I saw on Facebook, a fan of Prince Philip or not, it still adds another take on his life.

Not my words, but the words of a British soldier from Ulster in regard to HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
The litany of abuse and inhumanity I have seen aimed at a man who devoted his life to public service of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth has irked me beyond belief.
He's a racist, you say? At 18-months old, as a young Greek baby of Danish parentage, he was removed from his home and as a refugee was taken to Paris where he was brought up by two alcoholic parents. His mother was sectioned when he was five years old, whilst his father left him to pursue his own love life.
As a young boy he was sent to Germany, then England and finally Scotland for his education, where he was taught by the Jewish refugee, Kurt Hahn. This inspired the young Philip to join the Royal Navy in order to fight Nazism; something his three elder siblings had embraced - all of them married officers of the Third Reich.
A misogynist? In 1952 he renounced all of his own Royal titles and patronage in order to be subservient to the one true love of his life; a woman whom he would be with for 74 years. A man with more royal blood than the woman he married, who chose to give up his name for hers and follow two steps behind her for the remainder of his years. A chap who raised his children whilst his wife worked at at time when that was deemed emasculating.
No compassion? His Uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten - the fellow who raised him during his teenage years and mentored him beyond, indeed the only 'father figure' he knew - was murdered by the IRA in the Republic of Ireland in 1979. In 2012, he stood and watched as his wife shook hands with the man who masterminded his beloved Uncle's murder - and did so in order to ensure a more peaceful life for the souls of the children of Northern Ireland that they did not suffer the childhood he endured.
He was the patron of 800+ charities, founded the Duke of Edinburgh awards that over 3 million British children have benefited from, and was an architect of the World Wildlife Fund for nature. Abrasive and 'of his time' maybe but by God he was a brilliant, clever, witty man who left an indelible mark on all those he met. He attended over 22,000 public engagements in his working life, all to ensure the embetterment of others.
Requiesce in peace Philip Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg; you truly are one of the finest foreign, refugee imports the country has had the pleasure to home, and one of its greatest Britons though not a drop of her blood ran through your veins.
You leave a wealthy legacy of humanitarinism that those who choose to mock could never equal.

stevestrat 18th April 2021 18:30

Why are you arguing about who was or wasn't sitting near the Queen and how near they are. Queen or not she is a 94 year old who has lost her partner of 73 years.

wraymond 18th April 2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2877319)
Why are you arguing about who was or wasn't sitting near the Queen and how near they are. Queen or not she is a 94 year old who has lost her partner of 73 years.

Quite. Thanks for that.

wraymond 18th April 2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2877311)
Here is a quote from a post I saw on Facebook, a fan of Prince Philip or not, it still adds another take on his life.
]

Thanks Alan. To present negative view, however strongly felt, in an obituary sort of misses the point.

WillyHeckaslike 19th April 2021 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2877319)

Who is the target of this post? :shrug:

stevestrat 19th April 2021 23:18

Not aimed at anyone in particular.

FLYING BANANA 20th April 2021 07:18

And with that I think the thread has run it’s course. The thread is now closed.