The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pictures of Norman2CV Pre Launch model for sale***CAR HAS NOW BEEN SAVED (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314524)

stocktake 5th August 2021 13:58

Pictures of Norman2CV Pre Launch model for sale***CAR HAS NOW BEEN SAVED

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...becf38db75.jpg
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...becf3dd9ab.jpg
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...becf416d76.jpg

Original For sale ad here

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=314048

SD1too 6th August 2021 06:55

Note that this car's hazard/central locking switch has a black rather than wood effect escutcheon. Does that make it pre-production rather than "launch"?

Simon

Norman2CV 6th August 2021 07:03

Yes it is not 'Launch' it is PreProduction. The research i have done indicates it was built late 1998 or Jan 1999 and was owned by MG Rover Group for some time.

dave lincs 6th August 2021 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman2CV (Post 2894521)
Yes it is not 'Launch' it is PreProduction. The research i have done indicates it was built late 1998 or Jan 1999 and was owned by MG Rover Group for some time.

You are correct Norman it is a pre production car

trikey 6th August 2021 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2894516)
Note that this car's hazard/central locking switch has a black rather than wood effect escutcheon. Does that make it pre-production rather than "launch"?

Simon

Yes, the pre production hazard surrounds were moulded and sent to the factory for test fitting, as there wasn’t time to get them to timbalex for coating.

These were supposed to have been changed before sale, but as we all know, that didn’t happen!

dave lincs 6th August 2021 10:59

There are a few other things as well that are different on pre launch cars

coab 6th August 2021 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave lincs (Post 2894556)
There are a few other things as well that are different on pre launch cars

Do tell!:}

dave lincs 6th August 2021 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 2894572)
Do tell!:}

There are 3 things I seem to remember ;)

Norman2CV 6th August 2021 16:31

I dont know about pre launch cars but on pre production cars the black switch surround and the lack of a boot floor handle and something different about the boot plinth ?:}

biffa75 6th August 2021 16:43

If only the car was closer I would seriously consider it.
For the age it certainly looks okay.

Would be really interested to know the difference between pre production and launch cars.

Rob

trikey 6th August 2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman2CV (Post 2894581)
I dont know about pre launch cars but on pre production cars the black switch surround and the lack of a boot floor handle and something different about the boot plinth ?:}

The boot plinth was plain (No 'Rover' moulded into it on the first few cars) These are Uber rare as most were changed prior to sale.

dave lincs 7th August 2021 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2894609)
The boot plinth was plain (No 'Rover' moulded into it on the first few cars) These are Uber rare as most were changed prior to sale.

Well done Trikey :}

Norman2CV 9th August 2021 14:48

This rare car is still looking for a home ! !:}

dave lincs 9th August 2021 15:55

I am amazed nobody has taken this

thomas 75 connie 9th August 2021 16:03

I would have bought this when it came up for sale originally but was too slow in messaging the previous owner.

While I would still love to take it on at this moment in time I cannot.

I have been off work for a little while with depression hence not being here much and all my money has gone towards bills.

If this was any other time I would have taken it on.

I actually spoke to my garage and they were happy to do the cambelts and brakes and get it MOTd and sorted.

I hope that this car finds a suitable home.

Norman2CV 9th August 2021 16:44

Thomas I am truly sorry to hear you have not been well and from one enthusiast to another I wish you well and that things get better for you very soon.
I am also amazed that no body has bought this car and am so hoping it goes to a club member so it can receive the care it deserves.

Sonic ZS 9th August 2021 22:56

The numerical part (last six digits) of a pre-production chassis number will begin with '00', whereas all other normal production examples begin with '10'. This is the only firm way of telling, as all other parts can be swapped between cars.

Check the chassis plate, screen plate and stamping on top of the OSF suspension turret ;)

Norman2CV 10th August 2021 08:49

Have checked all three areas, all read 001481, same as on the V5, still cant believe no one wants this rare car, is it really going to end up scrapped or banger raced ! !

SD1too 10th August 2021 13:47

Enter it into a classic car auction Graham.

Simon

Norman2CV 10th August 2021 15:38

I am working long hours so simply dont have time to take to an auction. I am going to advertise it elsewhere but unfortunately to people outside the club it is just another old Rover so I hate to think what may happen to it. Atleast I tried!:getmecoat:

dave lincs 10th August 2021 20:33

Norman all I can say is you have done your best shame nobody has saved this car

Norman2CV 12th August 2021 09:40

I think i have realized why the interest from scrapyards and breakers, I am told the catalytic converters on the V6 has a high scrap value ! Maybe more than the car is worth ! I am still hoping a club member saves it .:}

Annfield-East 12th August 2021 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman2CV (Post 2895461)
I think i have realized why the interest from scrapyards and breakers, I am told the catalytic converters on the V6 has a high scrap value ! Maybe more than the car is worth ! I am still hoping a club member saves it .:}

There are plenty of club members who think it should be saved, but by someone else.

When I first saw advertised the one that I saved, I though the same. Then, a couple of days later I thought, why someone else? So I set about saving it. A few hours later it was mine, and now, after a hell of a lot of work and $$$$'s, it wants for nothing.

This time last year I didn't even have a car. never mind a 75. I now have two, and just love them to bits, even though I only have on street parking, but hope that will change in the near future.

Anyway, I've had enough of the leave it to someone else brigade of this club. I accept that some members have done their bit. But to think that this beautiful car may end up being stripped for spares or banger raced is heartbreaking.

A week ago, on another thread, I said that I would wave bye bye to this club if Grahams car remained unsold a week later. That time has now passed and, as well as this being my last post, I no longer regard myself as a member of this club.

Goodbye.

Norman2CV 12th August 2021 12:35

Please dont leave the club, there are some really good people on here. It has been a very difficult time recently for many people and there are many who are in financial difficulties after the lockdown. I know several self employed people who through no fault of their own have been living off credit cards for over a year now, even paying their rent with one.
This car although drop dead gorgeous is going to cost a fair sum to put back on the road, and then nearly £300 road tax and a thirst for petrol it make it impossible for many to run. I too am self employed and I too cant afford to put it on the road at this time, but i will keep it here, do a few jobs to it, a bit of time money and love, and one way or another it will be saved.
Please dont leave the club, your enthusiasm for the 75 is needed as together we stand strong.:}

coab 12th August 2021 14:39

Totally agree and lovely car BUT will need serious dollar to get it upto what it deserves. Very few people these days have the money or the space to keep a project car and have bills to pay and many are unsure if they will have a job in a few months time.
Its not about nobody wanting the car its the harsh reality of running a thirsty 2.5 engined car that's 20 years old and going to need a lot of parts replacing simply due to it age. For many even if they had the money its an expensive ornament to tax and insure and maintain let alone work out what its worth after spending a fortune. If it cant be snapped up for £300 maybe its telling you its not as desirable as we think.
Maybe the owner could get someone to take photos of the pre production parts etc and have a sticky thread on here then at least this car has given an insight for other club members who have never seen one in the flesh?:}

SD1too 12th August 2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman2CV (Post 2895472)
... nearly £300 road tax and a thirst for petrol it make it impossible for many to run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 2895480)
... its the harsh reality of running a thirsty 2.5 engined car ...

The 2.5 V6 is at its best on long journeys at cruising speed when it will return 30 mpg or more. That is not thirsty!

The road tax is £280 p.a. which is significantly cheaper than the same car taxed under the CO2 emissions system. That is not expensive!

What does cost time and money is a restoration or recommissioning. I know because I've done it. That is the reason why no-one wants this car. It's got nothing to do with road tax or fuel consumption.

During the next 20 years few will want a petrol or diesel car anyway.

Simon

Saga Lout 12th August 2021 16:24

But.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annfield-East (Post 2895469)
There are plenty of club members who think it should be saved, but by someone else.

When I first saw advertised the one that I saved, I though the same. Then, a couple of days later I thought, why someone else? So I set about saving it. A few hours later it was mine, and now, after a hell of a lot of work and $$$$'s, it wants for nothing.

This time last year I didn't even have a car. never mind a 75. I now have two, and just love them to bits, even though I only have on street parking, but hope that will change in the near future.

Anyway, I've had enough of the leave it to someone else brigade of this club. I accept that some members have done their bit. But to think that this beautiful car may end up being stripped for spares or banger raced is heartbreaking.

A week ago, on another thread, I said that I would wave bye bye to this club if Grahams car remained unsold a week later. That time has now passed and, as well as this being my last post, I no longer regard myself as a member of this club.

Goodbye.

The club is for people that support the cars and most likely already have at least one, it's not up to any members to save any car that needs saving as they are simply just members of a motor club. The club has a section for selling cars but not all get sold, it's a good place to place an offer of a car but it's not expected that it has to find a home with a member, it'll be far better to find a home with someone who admires the cars and fancies a bit of a project. The car is around 23 years old now and is a true classic and that will possibly bring a new owner/member to the club, that's what it's about in reality.

coab 12th August 2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2895491)
The 2.5 V6 is at its best on long journeys at cruising speed when it will return 30 mpg or more. That is not thirsty!

The road tax is £280 p.a. which is significantly cheaper than the same car taxed under the CO2 emissions system. That is not expensive!

What does cost time and money is a restoration or recommissioning. I know because I've done it. That is the reason why no-one wants this car. It's got nothing to do with road tax or fuel consumption.

During the next 20 years few will want a petrol or diesel car anyway.

Simon

May I beg to differ at petrol being £1.34 per litre and about 20 mpg around the town it is an expensive ornament sitting taxed and insured for the “odd long run”.
Say £40 per month for a garage to rent to save it from the elements it’s not viable for 99% of enthusiasts on here me included.

victorgte 12th August 2021 21:39

I contacted the seller a couple of weeks ago.
Do I want the car. Yes.
Can I afford to recommission it. Yes.
Do I have the time for another project. No. I'm working all the hours I can to afford my current project.
Yes I have space.
I've been offered another project that I'm seriously considering.
It's never straightforward collecting cars, projects or not.
I'm so busy I've not used my MGTF yet this summer. What a waste.
Then I have a family to juggle too.
Life is full but life is good.
Yes I would like to see an original car saved.
Good luck.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

thomas 75 connie 12th August 2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2895516)
I contacted the seller a couple of weeks ago.
Do I want the car. Yes.
Can I afford to recommission it. Yes.
Do I have the time for another project. No. I'm working all the hours I can to afford my current project.
Yes I have space.
I've been offered another project that I'm seriously considering.
It's never straightforward collecting cars, projects or not.
I'm so busy I've not used my MGTF yet this summer. What a waste.
Then I have a family to juggle too.
Life is full but life is good.
Yes I would like to see an original car saved.
Good luck.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Exactly that's the thing. Alot of us here have either got cars and no room for others or are doing different things. It doesnt make us less enthusiastic.
Like I said I tried to buy this when it originally came up for sale but was too slow.

Now I have no means to save it at this time but in the future would I save another 75- of course i would.

Life is never as simple as people make it out to be. If I had the money It would be on my drive now while my father and I do little bits on it here and there.

Norman2CV 18th August 2021 11:58

Last chance to save it ! go on you know you want this beautiful car ! Have a weekend in lovely Cornwall with free camping on my field, I will even buy you a pasty ! ! :}

Norman2CV 23rd August 2021 09:06

The banger boys have been sniffing around this car and I really dont want it to end that way so I have therefore reduced the price to any club member who may save it, a very early car, (vin 001481) now £375 ! !

Pete 23rd August 2021 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by coab (Post 2895505)
May I beg to differ at petrol being £1.34 per litre and about 20 mpg around the town it is an expensive ornament sitting taxed and insured for the “odd long run”.
Say £40 per month for a garage to rent to save it from the elements it’s not viable for 99% of enthusiasts on here me included.

Sean, if you know a decent storage place for £40 a month then let me know - I'm paying a fair bit more! Good dry storage is a real struggle to find now, so many barns have been converted into homes and units snapped for warehousing. I know someone who is building some units but they're just a bit too big, and the rent therefore on them too much for me. Ho hum.

Reebs 23rd August 2021 11:39

T207 JOP It's a small world!

I thought that registration sounded familiar, this car was going to be the first Rover 75 I bought, back in 2001!

It was up for sale at SMC Rover in Slough for £16,495 and had 29,831 on the clock. I paid a £500 deposit on it and was just waiting for them to sort out a gremlin with the highline tv function, and fix the cruise control which didn't work on the test drive.

Here is a picture I took of it at the dealers back then

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...056322bf_b.jpg

As you can see, it's lost it's wooden wheel since then and also it's chrome mirror caps. Interestingly, it's also stamped and listed as a Connoisseur not a Connoisseur SE even though it had the spec of the SE, I guess at that point they hadn't finalised the final trim level names? The car was the 9th of 13 75s to leave the production line on 13th January 1999 and was the 481st Rover 75 built. It was first registered on 1st March 1999.

I've even still got the original order form dated 2nd May 2001.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3bff1913_b.jpg

The reason, I didn't go through with the sale was because the analogue tv would only display a picture if the engine wasn't running. So if you wanted to sit in a car park while waiting for the Mrs to come out of Sainsbury's you had to have the key in position II to make it work, as soon as you started the engine the picture would mute with the screen saying 'TV cannot be viewed while vehicle is in motion' which of course should only appear once the handbrake is off and the car exceeds 3 mph.

They couldn't resolve the issue, so instead offered me another slightly higher mileage JOP car which I ended up accepting. You'll see that Peter Slater the salesman who dealt with me, had it down as an auto, but it wasn't of course.

I never thought I'd see this original one again!

trikey 23rd August 2021 19:18

Looks like fate to me Paul, I reckon it would fit in with your fleet a treat ;)

Knowlesey145 24th August 2021 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman2CV (Post 2896928)
The banger boys have been sniffing around this car and I really dont want it to end that way so I have therefore reduced the price to any club member who may save it, a very early car, (vin 001481) now £375 ! !

I will send you a PM.

Norman2CV 25th August 2021 19:24

This car has now been saved HOORAY ! ! Watch this space for an announcement on its future, and thanks for all the support and interest. :D

Pete 3rd September 2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2896986)
Looks like fate to me Paul, I reckon it would fit in with your fleet a treat ;)

Almost Andy - some news will be coming soon. :cool: