The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Vaccination-good news. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310436)

mileshawk56 12th January 2021 10:46

Vaccination-good news.

Im 84 yold-Got a message on my mobile frim the GP surgery telling me to book my jab. As I dont have a iPhone or similar the link wouldnt work. Any way the good news is I have an appt. for 8.40.a.m. Friday 15th January at my GP which is 5 minutes walk. Just waiting for a contact about my wife 81yold. She has COPD but they must be doing it by age, makes sense because its simple. Chris.S.

actros 12th January 2021 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mileshawk56 (Post 2859130)
Im 84 yold-Got a message on my mobile frim the GP surgery telling me to book my jab. As I dont have a iPhone or similar the link wouldnt work. Any way the good news is I have an appt. for 8.40.a.m. Friday 15th January at my GP which is 5 minutes walk. Just waiting for a contact about my wife 81yold. She has COPD but they must be doing it by age, makes sense because its simple. Chris.S.

Had mine on Saturday no side effects

Steamdrivenandy 12th January 2021 11:21

That is good news Chris.

As to the progression through the age ranks etc, I guess there will be variations throughout the country depending on how many doses are doled out to each place that's doing vaccinations and the numbers and age profiles etc that they have to deal with.

I know that Mrs SDA's best friend, who has cancer and is 55, has been put in the same vaccine category as me at age 73.

stocktake 12th January 2021 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by actros (Post 2859134)
Had mine on Saturday no side afects

Still a grumpy old beggar then? :D

stevestrat 12th January 2021 11:45

Quote:

She has COPD but they must be doing it by age, makes sense because its simple. Chris.S.

Supposed to be age and underlying conditions. I have no idea what category I'm in as there's no clue how the underlying conditions (of which I have several!) affect it.

Steamdrivenandy 12th January 2021 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2859142)
Supposed to be age and underlying conditions. I have no idea what category I'm in as there's no clue how the underlying conditions (of which I have several!) affect it.

These conditions things seem a bit hit and miss.

Mrs SDA got a shielding letter in Lockdown 1 and the only reason we could think she got it was because she had a lung problem which resolved itself 12 years before.

On the other hand, me, with just one, rather dodgy, kidney and a 'stiff' heart never heard a thing.

bl52krz 12th January 2021 21:30

I had my jab Sunday afternoon. No side effects so far.

genpk 13th January 2021 09:27

i see the news over your way every day and geez you guys are doing it tough there.
You guys are tough and will see this virus out, it will disappear eventually.
We all hope things will get better soon for you guys with the vacine and change in seasons hopefully will slow it down.

Terryf 13th January 2021 09:39

My wife 84 with asthma had hers last Thursday, me 87 with no problems had mine this morning.
It reminded me of the days of polio in 50/60s, when we all queued up for the jab. Don't remember any appointments we just turned up and got the jab. Don't think they even took our names.
Terry

stevestrat 13th January 2021 10:16

Wouldn't be happy to be offered the Chinese vaccine. Trial in Brasil showed it to be only 50.4% effective That's not a vaccination its a lottery!

Steamdrivenandy 13th January 2021 11:20

There were the TB tests and vaccinations at school, with all your classmates winding each other up about the pain of it and the potential dire consequences. Rather like social media these days.

Mogodon 13th January 2021 15:27

Get my first one on Friday :} as I'm frontline NHS working on wards looking after Covid patients.

stevestrat 13th January 2021 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2859417)
Get my first one on Friday :} as I'm frontline NHS working on wards looking after Covid patients.

That took a while, my wife's a nurse, had her first one a couple of weeks ago. Just got a "warning" letter to look out for a letter re the second jab.

genpk 16th January 2021 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2859417)

you my friend and all your mates are a very brave and courageous lot.
Stay safe and well.

Mogodon 16th January 2021 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 2859847)
you my friend and all your mates are a very brave and courageous lot.
Stay safe and well.

I am humbled 😷 (blushes behind mask).

mileshawk56 16th January 2021 15:10

Had mine, it is the Phizer one no problems-bit draughty sitting by the window for 15minutes but at least it wasnt "long haul" for hours. Chris.S.

planenut 16th January 2021 16:48

Why would anybody decline the offer to have a vaccine that may or may not have an effect? Isn't it better to take it up in the hope that by your action you could help, either your family, friends or others? Do you trust everybody about you to have taken all precautions available to them? If so then they are as reliant on you and your family?

stocktake 16th January 2021 17:21

It's funny how your perspective changes when you see so many people needlessly die from this, first hand, in person!...

Mogodon 16th January 2021 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2860012)
It's funny how your perspective changes when you see so many people needlessly die from this, first hand, in person!...

This ^^^^

When I'm working in the Covid ICU, I've seen patients from their early 30's upwards, conscious, with what is easiest to describe as a firfighters BA kit, on gasping for breath, terrified and in tears.

Patients can only sustain this for so long then become exhausted and unable to breathe for themselves.

At this point they then have to be put into a induced coma, be intubated, and put onto a ventilator, where over time, and with intensive care, and if strong enough their immune system can beat the virus, and they can be brought round and extubated although some do then relapse if the virus re-emerges.

If not, the virus overwhelms them and they go into multi organ failure and sadly die.

Staff try (and I know this seems cold) to stay detatched emotionally, but when a patient is gasping for breath and pleading with you not to let them die, its heartrending and the emotional toll on some of us frontline staff will last for years.

Trouble is these deniers don't see this playing out every day and night in hospitals everywhere.

I volunteered to work in Covid ICU as a Critical Care Assistant and have learned so much and gained a lot of confidence but hours in full PPE (Hooded type boiler suit, goggles, respirator, double rubber gloved and overshoes) is horrible.

mileshawk56 21st January 2021 09:23

My wife got the NHS letter about vaccination on Sunday, on Monday our GP contacted and arranged "Jab" for Wednesday 09.40.a.m. all done no problems. My daughters mother in law in Worcestershire -a 86yold had the jab at her home yesterday( they had her on the records as none ambulatory) so the practice nurse visited and did the business. She is a very active 86 yold so a bit of luck for her. My French contact a 75 yold living in small town Uzes, Gard has been told it maybe as long as two months before they get theirs- the Maire said, "to many pensioners" Chris S.

KLM 21st January 2021 12:17

Good News!. 20th Jan, Just got the letter I was waiting for.
An invite to contact my local Doc's surgery to book an appointment for my first Covid 19 vaccination.
Viva la NHS.
Kev.

PS
Telephoned the surgery next day and got my 1st jab the same morning!!!
Kev.

mileshawk56 23rd January 2021 13:13

Went through Goring on Thames and they were doing the"jab" in the the Village hall& car park, seemed to be running well apart from Thames Water digging up the main road and causing not a little congestion- I was on my trusty Claud Butler & off subject, they? (whoever repairs/maintains roads)? are doing repairs that are at least 10 year vintage. Chris S.

Ian G 23rd January 2021 15:06

Any members in the 70+ group being called for vaccine yet.
Cheers Ian

steve-45 23rd January 2021 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2861307)
Cheers Ian

Hi Ian, it took my other half who is over 70 for her first jab today. Unfortunately my jab is probably about 2 months away.

Rev Jules 24th January 2021 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2861307)
Cheers Ian

Yes getting ours next Friday. and a date for the second one April 17th.

Rev.

Bolin 24th January 2021 11:39

I posted this on another thread, hope it is useful.

Some info might be helpful:

There are 3 types of places offering vaccines:

Hospital Hubs - main hospitals, not very small 'cottage' hospitals from what I gather.

Local Vaccination Service - GP practice run, sometime groups of GP practices will run theirs together from one larger surgery, or maybe even from a larger site such as a concert hall etc. Some pharmacies are in this category.

Vaccination Centres - i.e. sports ground, conference centres, cathedrals etc. This may include pharmacies as well - our local tiny pharmacy has set up as a vaccination centre in a local hall.

All vaccinations are by appointment only. You may be contacted in different ways. For Vaccination Centres you will receive a letter with links to the national booking system, which is online or by calling 119. You will receive a letter when you are in an eligible cohort I.e. over 80s, over 75s, extremely clinically vulnerable, when it is that cohort's turn to be vaccinated, AND you live within a 45 minute drive of a vaccination centre. For Local Vaccination Services you will be contacted via your GP surgery or someone/an organisation acting on their behalf. This could be by letter, telephone or text. Not sure about email. Hospital Hubs are mainly offering the jab to health and social care workers and possibly patients too. Health and social care workers should have involvement from employers to identify them and Local Authorities are supposed to play a role in this too - more info in docs online.

There may be slight oddities in the system - one example is my GP surgery, which is running the jabs with the local pharmacy in a nearby hall. They will not contact their patients directly to offer the jab, but instead patients will get the standard letter to book a Vaccination Centre, and use that to book the local pharmacy rollout at the hall. Problem there is that people living miles away can also book at the hall, leaving no priority for locals. In response the GP surgery is now texting patients when new slots are available to be booked at the hall via the national booking system so basically give a heads up that spaces are available, but others living further away can still book in there.

Vaccination Centres may 'disappear' from the national booking system if all their current slots are booked up, and then 'reappear' when new slots are available. Slots appear to be created when VCs are allocated doses of vaccine.

There are lots of documents relating to the rollout online on gov.uk, have a search.

Hope this helps - if anyone has more useful info then please share.

Lancpudn 24th January 2021 15:41

Just spoke to Mam 10 minutes ago & she's still not received another appointment for the vaccine jab since turning that one down at Macclesfield hospital two weeks ago in which they wanted her to go there all the way from Lancashire:mad:, I got her age wrong in the last comment I made about this too :o Mam is 89. :duh:

mileshawk56 26th January 2021 09:28

Just to cheer me up has anyone had their second Phizer jab yet? Chris.S. P.S. If the answer is no dont bother to tell me!

stocktake 26th January 2021 11:00

Wife is a Nurse and had both her Pfizer jabs, 1st one middle of Dec 2nd one start of Jan :)

rontug 26th January 2021 15:41

Quote:

My wife and I went saturday, no side effects as yet

planenut 26th January 2021 16:51

Just been sent a request to sign a petition for all school and carers to have a jab during half term to get the schools open. Perhaps if they'd done their homework they would understand that it would take at least six weeks after that to get the second jab and effectiveness, oh, then it's Easter.

steve-45 26th January 2021 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2861847)
Just been sent a request to sign a petition for all school and carers to have a jab during half term to get the schools open. Perhaps if they'd done their homework they would understand that it would take at least six weeks after that to get the second jab and effectiveness, oh, then it's Easter.

Did the authors of this petition make any suggestion as to which “at risk” group should be moved down the priority list to accommodate this ?

SCP440 26th January 2021 20:36

At the rate they are vaccinating at the moment they will have all who want to be vaccinated done in about 6 months, we have all waited 12 months so another 6 months is not to bad.

Lets face it most of us want to be close to the front of line but getting the coffin dodgers done first with the high risk next will get the death rate down and that has to be a priority. Yes the education system needs to be in place but how many families if given the choice would say get the teachers done before granny or grandpa? My guess not many.

Tonight there was a bit on TV on how many BAME people were saying they would not have the vaccine, distrust for various reasons but have they not seen the news?

Personally if I had a phone call at 3 am because they had some spare I would be there in my PJ's.

SCP440 27th January 2021 07:08

Potentially all us Brits could be vaccinated before the Europeans have even done a decent percentage of there population. This brings up another potential problem. All those that are waiting to jump on an aircraft to a beech will have no where to go or if allowed will have to isolate in a hotel on there return.

I think personally we can write this year off, yes the death rate will hopefully be a fraction of what it is at the moment but I think it will be 2022 before we consider our lives are starting to get back to what we consider normal or more precisely the new normal.

I think the pubs and the like will be open by late spring for the majority of us but who will be happy to sit on a beach or go to a concert in the summer if you are not sure the person next to you has been vaccinated or not?

planenut 27th January 2021 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2861914)
Potentially all us Brits could be vaccinated before the Europeans have even done a decent percentage of there population. This brings up another potential problem. All those that are waiting to jump on an aircraft to a beech will have no where to go or if allowed will have to isolate in a hotel on there return.

I think personally we can write this year off, yes the death rate will hopefully be a fraction of what it is at the moment but I think it will be 2022 before we consider our lives are starting to get back to what we consider normal or more precisely the new normal.

I think the pubs and the like will be open by late spring for the majority of us but who will be happy to sit on a beach or go to a concert in the summer if you are not sure the person next to you has been vaccinated or not?

Quite right, there will be no normal global travel possibilities until the majority of Countries are deemed at a safe level. There will be a growing number of permitted Countries but there has always been a risk that persons travelling between permitted zones will have been "popping" in and out of high risk zones as with other infectious diseases.

COLVERT 27th January 2021 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2861914)
Potentially all us Brits could be vaccinated before the Europeans have even done a decent percentage of their population. This brings up another potential problem. All those that are waiting to jump on an aircraft to a beach will have nowhere to go or if allowed will have to isolate in a hotel on their return.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you passing the virus to another person. All it does is activates the immune system of the person who has been vaccinated. Hopefully this will reduce the effects of the virus after several weeks when the body has produced its own anti-bodies. However the person, though not suffering badly from a virus attack, can still be quite contagious to the folk around them.---:eek::eek::eek:

In all cases close contact is to be avoided at all costs no matter where or when.--( 2022 sounds about right.--:D---Middle of the summer. )

stevestrat 27th January 2021 19:18

My wife, a nurse, has had her first jab but despite having several of the listed underlying conditions still no word of mine yet. Tonight I got text from her, 5 positive cases in her ward and it's not even a covid ward, it's everywhere in the hospital now. In the morning I'm going to have to prepare everything for her arrival, front door open, shower on, washing machine ready just to hit the start button. I'm praying for my jab just to alleviate the stress of the distinct possibility of her bringing covid into the house.

stocktake 27th January 2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2862006)
Being vaccinated doesn't stop you passing the virus to another person.

In all cases close contact is to be avoided at all costs no matter where or when.--( 2022 sounds about right.--:D---Middle of the summer. )

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

COLVERT 27th January 2021 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2862025)

Well, there you go.---I hadn't seen the information you've given in your post but it was the conclusion I'd come to after reading lots and lots about these vaccines and how they work.

I think a few people thought the vaccine targeted the virus and once they'd been injected they were safe from infection but of course it's something that wasn't correct. What it meant really, after two or three weeks, that the bodies defence system was up and running and could immediately attack the virus from the moment the person became infected. Eventually just about all of the 65,000,000 folk in GB were going to have had the virus in their systems.

I just hope that the vaccine production can increase as fast as possible to reduce the number of Covid related deaths.

stocktake 28th January 2021 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2862037)
Well, there you go.---I hadn't seen the information you've given in your post but it was the conclusion I'd come to after reading lots and lots about these vaccines and how they work.

I think a few people thought the vaccine targeted the virus and once they'd been injected they were safe from infection but of course it's something that wasn't correct. What it meant really, after two or three weeks, that the bodies defence system was up and running and could immediately attack the virus from the moment the person became infected. Eventually just about all of the 65,000,000 folk in GB were going to have had the virus in their systems.

I just hope that the vaccine production can increase as fast as possible to reduce the number of Covid related deaths.

I wasn't aware of this until yesterday either Jon, the situation changes daily :)

stevestrat 28th January 2021 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2862007)
Tonight I got text from her, 5 positive cases in her ward and it's not even a covid ward,

By the time she finished this morning it had gone up to 9 :eek:

COLVERT 28th January 2021 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2862085)
By the time she finished this morning it had gone up to 9 :eek:

And it's possible that some of them had been vaccinated.---:eek:

Steamdrivenandy 28th January 2021 16:30

I got my first vaccine jab appointment this morning, almost by accident.

I'm 73 and Mrs SDA is 5 years younger. Our GP's surgery posted on Facebook on Monday that they were waiting to hear how many doses they'd been allocated for next week and then, as they'd finished the 75 to 79's they'd be organising the 70 to 75 group. That all sounded fine and I was expecting a call sometime soon.

This morning the surgery rang and spoke to Mrs SDA who has been advised not to have the vaccination yet. The receptionist realised that she shouldn't have rung her, but Mrs SDA mentioned that I was waiting a call. So the receptionist said that I was on a different list but she may as well book me in.

It left me wondering why 67 year old Mrs SDA got a call before 73 year old me, when the surgery was supposed to be sorting the 70-75 age group?

ceedy 28th January 2021 18:43

Had my vac offered today, been doing some locally, but offered a 40+ mile round trip for mine , was happy to do it if wife could have it as well, but shes 2 years younger so thats a no . I'll wait then ,:duh:

Would think that Vaccing the whole family bubble together would be an Idea :shrug:?

steve-45 28th January 2021 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2862167)

Would think that Vaccing the whole family bubble together would be an Idea :shrug:?

Would seem like a good idea, but I suppose you have to draw the line somewhere, I’m 3 groups below the other person in my bubble, so not expecting mine until late March.

WillyHeckaslike 29th January 2021 12:43

Found an interesting link to an article which gives good insight to the vaccine supply problems as explained by AstraZeneca's CEO. I find it very informative and it shines a light on the EU's antics, and not a very good light at that. Click

Edit: Just noticed that Clive mentioned this article in an earlier post but the link provides full details of it.

COLVERT 29th January 2021 18:51

Now I would like to add a little more of my thoughts about the virus that I said in previous posts in this thread.

1/ I don't know the figures for folk catching this virus before they get vaccinated but it must be very high.

2/ The survival rate is high as most of these folk recover on their own. Their own anti-bodies have dealt with the problem.

3/ The action of the vaccine is to fool your body in to thinking it's under attack from Covid 19.--This makes the body start up its immune system to get anti-bodies into production.

4/ In up to 3 weeks after the jab the body will, hopefully, be well enough equipped with anti-bodies to deal with this virus invasion.

5/ There seems to be a war going on about insufficient vaccine supply. I think I read that GB had in stock 60,000,000 doses. ( Close to the population of the country for one jab each. )

6/ Now, finally, I have reached the point of my post. That is that a huge number have had and successfully fought off Covid 19. These folk must now have a very large number of anti-bodies inside them and thus have no need of a jab.

This must be happening all over the world and the need for a vaccine must dropping very quickly. Why oh why are all these counties at one another's throats about something that soon will not be needed with such urgency. It's very nice to see the high numbers of folk getting the jab but it makes me wonder how many of them really need it.

Does anyone know if people are tested for anti-bodies BEFORE they get the jab ??---:shrug:

stocktake 29th January 2021 19:49

Hi Jon,
My wife has had both Pfizer jabs, no checks are done prior to the injection, we are almost certain she has had C-19 previously firstly due to her exposure and secondly the fact that I have been confirmed as previously having the virus due to the discovery of antibodies in my system when I had a blood test for a none related issue.

solarsailor 29th January 2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2862310)
6/ Now, finally, I have reached the point of my post. That is that a huge number have had and successfully fought off Covid 19. These folk must now have a very large number of anti-bodies inside them and thus have no need of a jab.

This must be happening all over the world and the need for a vaccine must dropping very quickly. Why oh why are all these counties at one another's throats about something that soon will not be needed with such urgency. It's very nice to see the high numbers of folk getting the jab but it makes me wonder how many of them really need it.

Does anyone know if people are tested for anti-bodies BEFORE they get the jab ??---:shrug:

I can see what you're getting at, but things are never as simple as we'd sometimes like them to be.

The strength of the immune response between individuals varies greatly and for a variety of reasons. Someone who contracts covid and remains asymptomatic or has only mild symptoms will produce a low - maybe even immeasurable - antibody count. Generally speaking, someone who experiences severe symptoms will produce higher levels of antibodies but that's not always the case because age and other factors come into play. Also, in patients who become ill enough to need hospital treatment, covid is often so overpowering that the immune system becomes exhausted and is unable to adequately form its immune "memory" against any future infection.

If you take into account that antibodies produced naturally from having covid weaken over time, the best way to reduce infection rates (and also lessen the severity of covid in those who do get it) is to ensure that everyone has a high level of antibodies and the only way to achieve this is by giving as many people the vaccine as possible - regardless of whether or not they've had the virus before.

COLVERT 29th January 2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2862327)
Hi Jon,
My wife has had both Pfizer jabs, no checks are done prior to the injection, we are almost certain she has had C-19 previously firstly due to her exposure and secondly the fact that I have been confirmed as previously having the virus due to the discovery of antibodies in my system when I had a blood test for a none related issue.

Hi Dave.--Thanks for your post.

I thinks a test might help a lot of people. There have been posts about the effect an injection against Covid 19 . Making some people feel ill or swelling to the arm injected.
Probably a lot of that could be avoided if a test showed anti-bodies in the blood.
No point making someone feel ill for no good reason.--:shrug:--Especially when that jab could be of real value to another person.

I'm sure there are things that could be improved on in this anti Covid campaign.--:}

COLVERT 29th January 2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarsailor (Post 2862331)
I can see what you're getting at, but things are never as simple as we'd sometimes like them to be.

The strength of the immune response between individuals varies greatly and for a variety of reasons. Someone who contracts covid and remains asymptomatic or has only mild symptoms will produce a low - maybe even immeasurable - antibody count. Generally speaking, someone who experiences severe symptoms will produce higher levels of antibodies but that's not always the case because age and other factors come into play. Also, in patients who become ill enough to need hospital treatment, covid is often so overpowering that the immune system becomes exhausted and is unable to adequately form its immune "memory" against any future infection.

If you take into account that antibodies produced naturally from having covid weaken over time, the best way to reduce infection rates (and also lessen the severity of covid in those who do get it) is to ensure that everyone has a high level of antibodies and the only way to achieve this is by giving as many people the vaccine as possible - regardless of whether or not they've had the virus before.

So, I guess what it boils down to is to be given anti-Covid injections on a regular basis for the rest of your life.--:shrug:

I'm not sure how practical that would be though. ( Though Flu jabs are offered every year. )

I think I read somewhere that once your body has successfully fought of a virus it then, for the rest of your life, retains a memory of it. Any further infections by the same or similar virus induces a very quick response by the immune system. Your cells simply whip out the blue print and get cracking.----:D:D:D

solarsailor 29th January 2021 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2862339)
So, I guess what it boils down to is to be given anti-Covid injections on a regular basis for the rest of your life.--:shrug:

I'm not sure how practical that would be though. ( Though Flu jabs are offered every year. )

I think I read somewhere that once your body has successfully fought of a virus it then, for the rest of your life, retains a memory of it. Any further infections by the same or similar virus induces a very quick response by the immune system. Your cells simply whip out the blue print and get cracking.----:D:D:D

Your body will indeed retain its immune memory of any virus for life, either from an actual infection or from a vaccine and the body's response is triggered when that virus is recognised. But viruses mutate, some to the point where the body no longer recognises them - like the flu virus, which is why a jab is needed yearly. However, even though all viruses mutate they don't all do it in the same way or at the same speed. Once you've had mumps or measles (or the vaccine for them) protection should be for life, whereas a tetanus jab for example is good for about 11 years.

We already know that covid is mutating, but studies will need to be carried out on whether these mutations will have any effect on how long the vaccine will keep people protected.

Caulkhead 30th January 2021 08:46

Imagine what our death toll would be if Mr Johnson didn’t have people around him taking calm, reasonable decisions and actions. Our government have made no mistakes and done everything to keep us safe and protect the NHS. He is so honest and trustworthy. It is so helpful to never back down, not like that lot with leaders reflecting, realising their actions were wrong, and changing course. Why can’t they always get it right first time? It’s only a pandemic, no pressure!

Time to get the schools open for a day again. What did you say......IDIOTS, but not total like that lot!

COLVERT 30th January 2021 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulkhead (Post 2862375)
Imagine what our death toll would be if Mr Johnson didn’t have people around him taking calm, reasonable decisions and actions. Our government have made no mistakes and done everything to keep us safe and protect the NHS. He is so honest and trustworthy. It is so helpful to never back down, not like that lot with leaders reflecting, realising their actions were wrong, and changing course. Why can’t they always get it right first time? It’s only a pandemic, no pressure!

Time to get the schools open for a day again. What did you say......IDIOTS, but not total like that lot!

I feel OK now--;)--Just come back from puking in the corner.-:smilie_re: Avoid this place.

Thought it might be the virus or maybe something else I've just ( a moment ago ) ingested.----------------------:puke:

KWIL 30th January 2021 12:37

As a former Contracts person, I do not think the EU has a leg to stand on. AZ's contract appears to say it all, "Best efforts"

That is exactly what AZ is doing, trying to correct the Belgian plant's inability to produce product at a sustainable rate, yields always vary, the problem is the unelected EC hierarchy do not understand or want to understand the complexities. "Toys out of prams" springs to mind.

Being undemocratic with a toothless so called parliament, the Commision has demonstrated to the whole world its inability to live in the real world. The Founding Fathers of the EU sort to ensure Europe's propensity to tear itself apart should never happen again, we now see the rise of a Jackboot mentality happening agin.

COLVERT 30th January 2021 12:49

Quote:---KWIL----As a former Contracts person, I do not think the EU has a leg to stand on. AZ's contract appears to say it all, "Best efforts.

Absolutely. They seem quite often not to know what they are doing.

Too many trying to come to a decision, maybe.

PS.---Sought rather than sort.--------------;)

KWIL 30th January 2021 13:38

Colvert, you are so correct, they do need sorting out!

steve-45 30th January 2021 13:55

I’ve just seen a news article suggesting that prison inmates and warders should be put on the vaccination priority list as they their infection levels are high and they cannot socially distance.

I can see a certain amount of resentment if criminals get priority treatment over the general public.

planenut 30th January 2021 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2862430)
I’ve just seen a news article suggesting that prison inmates and warders should be put on the vaccination priority list as they their infection levels are high and they cannot socially distance.

I can see a certain amount of resentment if criminals get priority treatment over the general public.

Sadly, if they become ill, it will be the NHS that has to look after them, and that's without the numerous escorting staff that will be required.

Not an easy decision.

steve-45 30th January 2021 20:02

I wonder how many of these pragmatises would be will to give up one of their parents vaccinations to support this campaign?

planenut 30th January 2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2862516)
I wonder how many of these pragmatises would be will to give up one of their parents vaccinations to support this campaign?

Sadly, you have to view it the other way, so long as nobody is being pushed aside, surely it would be better for those in such an enclosed area, staff and inmates, to be vaccinated so as to reduce the chance of the virus occurring, and therefore also the risk of it being transported elsewhere, i.e. hospitals.

COLVERT 30th January 2021 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2862516)
I wonder how many of these pragmatisers would be willing to give up one of their parent's vaccinations to support this campaign?

It's a fact that personal involvement will always affect a persons view on a subject ,which might be different if only strangers are involved, not relatives.

Hence, I guess, it's where the expression---'for the common good'---came into being, to remove the personal aspect.

Hopefully that sort of situation will never arise.

steve-45 30th January 2021 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2862518)
Sadly, you have to view it the other way, so long as nobody is being pushed aside, surely it would be better for those in such an enclosed area, staff and inmates, to be vaccinated so as to reduce the chance of the virus occurring, and therefore also the risk of it being transported elsewhere, i.e. hospitals.

I think the key phrase here is “as long as no one is pushed aside”, unfortunately to make a certain group a priority will “push aside” others in the queue.

Yes, I suppose there is some personal involvement here as were only currently down to group 4 and I’m in group 7.

COLVERT 31st January 2021 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2862542)
I think the key phrase here is “as long as no one is pushed aside”, unfortunately to make a certain group a priority will “push aside” others in the queue.

Yes, I suppose there is some personal involvement here as we're only currently down to group 4 and I’m in group 7.

I guess, at 83, I must be in a fairly high group. However I'm stuck here in France due to travel restrictions caused by the very thing I'm trying to avoid.---:eek:
I was offered the jab a couple of weeks ago at my surgery in Devon.

I think, though, some good will come out of it as some other person will get that jab instead of me.----:D----A fair bit of personal involvement there for me.--;)

Lancpudn 31st January 2021 10:33

What a right malarkey this vaccination is turning out for Mam! :mad: Her appointment at her doctors surgery tomorrow has been cancelled due to running out of vaccine supplies there.
They've now made an appointment for her at the Bolton wanderers football ground for the 7th February, She's 89 & housebound how the heck is that going to work out? :shrug:

COLVERT 31st January 2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2862594)
What a right malarkey this vaccination is turning out for Mam! :mad: Her appointment at her doctors surgery tomorrow has been cancelled due to running out of vaccine supplies there.
They've now made an appointment for her at the Bolton wanderers football ground for the 7th February, She's 89 & housebound how the heck is that going to work out? :shrug:

If your Mam was in France her doctor could book a free taxi for her to go to have the jab.--Distance no object.--Specialist taxis with medically qualified drivers for any travel emergencies.

stevestrat 31st January 2021 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2862594)
They've now made an appointment for her at the Bolton wanderers

What position does she play :shrug:

Lancpudn 31st January 2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2862632)
What position does she play :shrug:

LOL :D She's good wi cold sponge & bucket :D

Lancpudn 31st January 2021 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2862624)
If your Mam was in France her doctor could book a free taxi for her to go to have the jab.--Distance no object.--Specialist taxis with medically qualified drivers for any travel emergencies.

Yes it's ridiculous at Mam's age wanting her to go & queue up for goodness how long in this cold weather, There's been no mention of wheelchaired transport either :shrug: We cant get Mam in or out of the car any more & been told by the district nurse not to attempt it anyway! .

She said again that they can burger off :o:D

Lancpudn 2nd February 2021 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2862643)
Yes it's ridiculous at Mam's age wanting her to go & queue up for goodness how long in this cold weather, There's been no mention of wheelchaired transport either :shrug: We cant get Mam in or out of the car any more & been told by the district nurse not to attempt it anyway! .

She said again that they can burger off :o:D

I spoke on the phone to mam this morning and as no transportation is being offered to take her to Bolton wanderers football ground she's waiting until her doctors practice gets another vaccine supply however long that will take :shrug:

planenut 2nd February 2021 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2862954)
I spoke on the phone to mam this morning and as no transportation is being offered to take her to Bolton wanderers football ground she's waiting until her doctors practice gets another vaccine supply however long that will take :shrug:

I think that's a good idea but does she have a home help who can get on the case. We should all behave with the same amount of caution after the first jab ''cos we have a long way to go. Does your Mam have a friendly local pharmacist who you can chat to? just for reassurance.

Lancpudn 2nd February 2021 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2862972)
I think that's a good idea but does she have a home help who can get on the case. We should all behave with the same amount of caution after the first jab ''cos we have a long way to go. Does your Mam have a friendly local pharmacist who you can chat to? just for reassurance.

Yes she has a district nurse that comes once a week & she's been on the case for her to have her vaccination jab at home or at the local clinic. This is twice she's had to cancel these appointments now. :mad:

Ian G 5th February 2021 12:03

Just received my Covid 19 vaccination invite.
Despite having a vaccine centre in Weymouth 2 miles away the nearest offered for my online booking is 27 miles away. :duh:
Still it will give me and the car a run out :D:D

FLYING BANANA 5th February 2021 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2863595)
Despite having a vaccine centre in Weymouth 2 miles away the nearest offered for my online booking is 27 miles away. :duh:

Had mine done yesterday at Pensilva which is about 14 miles, as you say gives the car a run. Hope you are both keeping well.

HarryM1BYT 5th February 2021 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2863608)
Had mine done yesterday at Pensilva which is about 14 miles, as you say gives the car a run. Hope you are both keeping well.

Snap, my first done yesterday too. I got an invite test last week from the local surgery, made the appointment, then received a second invite - letter from NHS to make an appointment with one of the big centres. Nearest 20 miles away.

It was a very slick operation and they were getting ahead of appointments and pulling people in early for the jab.

I've had a sore maybe frozen right shoulder, painful with some attempted moments - so rather than risk having pain in my left too, I elected to have it in my right.

It was almost painless going in. I was expecting a little pain later or at least bruise. The pain was indistinguishable from my usual shoulder pain last night. Strangley, as of this morning, I have an improved range of movement without paint from the joint.

Ian G 8th February 2021 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2863595)

Little update..
Got a text from my local GP practice this morning, vaccination now booked for 16.00 hours tomorrow at my local Covid vaccine centre in Weymouth, so my 54 mile round trip has just become a 4 mile round trip.:D:D

Lancpudn 8th February 2021 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2862979)
Yes she has a district nurse that comes once a week & she's been on the case for her to have her vaccination jab at home or at the local clinic. This is twice she's had to cancel these appointments now. :mad:

At last Mam has had her vaccination jab locally this morning after 3-4 weeks of wanting to send her to locations 30-40 miles away for the vaccination jab :mad:

I'm taking my missus for her vaccination jab this evening at a rugby club down in Leigh, :shrug: I've not had my appointment letter yet.

wraymond 9th February 2021 11:14

Any scientists on board today? Or even pigeons wanting to mingle amongst the cats?

In my paper today, on one of the public health pages, a footnote appears – all of 2 column inches – almost as a tossaway afterthought.

Scientists at Tel Aviv University have found that 99.9% of corona-viruses on surfaces can be destroyed in 30 seconds by a light wavelength of 285 nanometers. I had to read that three times when I saw it.

Apparently that wavelength is commonly found in LED lightbulbs. They say more research is needed. I don’t know if it has been peer-reviewed, but a quick search for population vaccination figures has Israel in an interesting position.

That is beginning to look like a rather large spanner emerging from the works. Can anybody else throw some light on this?

Bolin 9th February 2021 11:32

That sounds like good news to me if proven - anything simple to kill the virus should help.

Why would it be a spanner in the works? The vaccines currently used in the UK don't use whole SAR-CoV-2 particles, only bits of their RNA encased in fatty droplet (Pfizer/BioNTech) or as part of a modified adenrovirus (Oxford/AstraZeneca).

One of the Chinese vaccines does use whole dead coronavirus, as might one of the others recently reporting good phase 3 results. I guess you mean it might be a problem if those vaccines were exposed to LED light during administration? I'd like to think the testing would have picked up on any issues there but there could be a problem in theory.

wraymond 9th February 2021 12:17

Thanks, your knowledge is greater than mine.

If proven to be effective, it seems to be a much more advanced method of control/eradication than the current truly massive and total reliance on what (solely in my ignorant knowledge span) seems to be a hastily, even scary in some respects, developed vaccine.

These wavelengths are as far as we know in common use and have no ill-effects. Extremely cheaply available and presumably everywhere. What could possibly go wrong.

HarryM1BYT 9th February 2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2864350)
Scientists at Tel Aviv University have found that 99.9% of corona-viruses on surfaces can be destroyed in 30 seconds by a light wavelength of 285 nanometers. I had to read that three times when I saw it.

It is a common method of disinfection, using UV, but the UV is not good for you at that frequency. Especially, it can cause damage to your eyes, so not an alternative to an injection.

solarsailor 9th February 2021 14:15

Just booked in for my first jab at 13:10 this coming Friday. Vaccination centre is less than a mile away, so got a result on the distance I need to travel.

WillyHeckaslike 9th February 2021 22:50

Listening to the news it would seem that Boris is hailing all illegals to come forth and get vacced and no questions will be asked. Really???? Boris, what about the legals who pay your dues and their own dues and who wait their turn to be vacced? Some of whom might not survive to receive the vacc which they so thoroughly deserve having abided by the law and paid there dues throughout their existence in the UK. :shrug:

wraymond 10th February 2021 12:07

So ‘no questions will be asked’ of known illegals that:
a: may have committed crimes other than illegal entry,
b: may have committed and/or have a lengthy record of illegal activity in
their former country.
c: any other permutation.

I wonder if our esteemed leader has any idea what effect that will have on those with less than blameless histories and actively considering coming, or already here undiscovered. Let alone their future compliance with the law until they apply for an injection. A get-out-of-jail-free card if ever there was one.

With every new dawn there is yet another backward step towards anarchy that has taken donkey’s years to eradicate – let alone a virus.

To penalise legitimate applicants in favour of unchallenged incomers is inviting lower priority cases to override more deserving (?) patients. Disgraceful.

planenut 10th February 2021 12:54

If a person has the chance to take a vaccine to hopefully avoid becoming infected by the virus, I am all for it, regardless of their social standing. One may ask why I might want that?but it doesn't take too much brainpower to figure out that the virus does not pay any heed to that social standing, but anybody who may become infected can pass that on to anybody else and clog up the NHS.

Ironically the richest person in the world cannot consider themself safe until the poorest person has had the jab.

wraymond 10th February 2021 13:23

Let me correct a possible faux par! I wasn't in any way concerned about social standing, nor did I intentionally allude to such matters.

I was referring to illegality and past/future criminals seeing an open invitation to come here, and without answering any questions about their legality, either past, present or future, from anywhere in the world and thereby seeking to override anxious patients in long queues. HTH.

WillyHeckaslike 10th February 2021 15:21

Some may not like it but we have a national health service and not an international one. The legals who fund it are every bit as vulnerable to the pandemic as those who are not legal. Given that, it is a no-brainer as for why a legal should not be pushed to the back of the queue to accommodate any illegals. I've read that a government spokesperson has gave assurance that this won't happen and that any illegals will have to wait their turn. But if no questions are to be asked then how will they achieve that? :shrug:

steve-45 11th February 2021 18:56

So does that mean if I claim to be an illegal and fib about my age (no documents so how can they disprove my age claim), I could get my vaccine earlier than being a fully paid up British resident?

solarsailor 12th February 2021 11:29

Didn't get a letter but received a text from my surgery on Tuesday inviting me to book. Having my first dose at 13:10 this afternoon.

planenut 12th February 2021 12:50

I went for a hike to the other side of Staines this morning to pick up some "essential" paint from Wickes. Trecked on back and during my lunch got a phone call from my doctors surgery to arrange an appointment for my first jab...................200 metres from the furthest point on my hike earlier.

Ian G 12th February 2021 18:38

Mrs G got the call today,she'll be having her 1st vaccination on Sunday afternoon. Taking into consideration that 1.. she is in the under 70s group and 2.. we have a very high % of older people here in Dorset that all seems very efficient by our two local centres..
keep well all