The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Car stuck in garage - they need some help (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206896)

Diamondhead 29th January 2015 15:51

Car stuck in garage - they need some help

Hi All,

This is my first post, but I've been on here so many times to look for help with other problems, your great knowledge has certainly helped keep my lovely car going. :}

However at the moment my 04 plate 75 2L diesel CDTI is in the local garage but they have got to a point that they do not know what to do next.

Basically just after New Year I got in the car and it started OK but the engine management light came on and it would only tick-over. If I rev'ed it the light went off for a second the engine rev'ed and then the light came back on and the revs dropped off. This happened every time I tried starting the car.

I took it to my usual garage and they said that the ECU was wet as the plenum had blocked. The faults when they read them were :

P3505 - glow system
P0220 - pedal travel sensor 2

They believed that the ECU was damaged and sent it away to be refurbished.

When this came back they plugged it in and the behaviour was very similar but now there was no rev'ing when the throttle pedal was pressed. Same faults reported.

They then tried changing the throttle pedal assembly thinking that could have been damaged by the water in the ECU. There is still no response to the throttle pedal, but the P0220 fault has cleared and the engine management light is now not coming on.

They are now at a loss as to where to go next, and to be honest so am I.

I would really appreciate any help or thoughts as the car is in lovely condition and I've had it for years so really don't want to part with it.

Thanks,

Graham.

Phil-T4 29th January 2015 16:08

Your pedal sensor needs replacing.

Avulon 29th January 2015 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondhead (Post 1904819)

They then tried changing the throttle pedal assembly thinking that could have been damaged by the water in the ECU. There is still no response to the throttle pedal, but the P0220 fault has cleared and the engine management light is now not coming on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil-T4 (Post 1904848)
Your pedal sensor needs replacing.

Wouldn't that have been changed with the pedal assembly?

Just to be clear, the current situation is no MIL light and no fault codes, but still the engine has trouble revving? ('no response to throttle pedal')?

Phil-T4 29th January 2015 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 1904865)
Wouldn't that have been changed with the pedal assembly?

Must read things slower, sorry :o

Greeners 29th January 2015 16:44

I'd suspect the ECU has drowned and the repair may/ or may not have been a total success......

Mike Noc 29th January 2015 16:52

If it was my car the ECU would be on the way to Marinabrian for a health check.

chrissyboy 29th January 2015 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 1904889)
If it was my car the ECU would be on the way to Marinabrian for a health check.

i agree ,thats the only way to go mike .if brian cant sort it then nobody can .

Sector-9 29th January 2015 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondhead (Post 1904819)
When this came back they plugged it in and the behaviour was very similar but now there was no rev'ing when the throttle pedal was pressed. Same faults reported.

They are now at a loss as to where to go next, and to be honest so am I.

Surprised they haven't tried getting live EOBD data from it (or maybe they have?) - throttle percentage is one of them and would show if the ECU is receiving correct input from the pedal. Could be a wiring fault if not, or they've got the wrong pedal pot or not connected it correctly. If you've got the Torque app for Android, plus a bluetooth EOBD dongle then you can read that data yourself.

Greeners 29th January 2015 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sector-9 (Post 1904975)
Surprised they haven't tried getting live EOBD data from it (or maybe they have?) - throttle percentage is one of them and would show if the ECU is receiving correct input from the pedal. Could be a wiring fault if not, or they've got the wrong pedal pot or not connected it correctly. If you've got the Torque app for Android, plus a bluetooth EOBD dongle then you can read that data yourself.

If they ECU is still duff, they are peeeing in the wind trying to do any fault diagnosis

Diamondhead 29th January 2015 20:57

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments.

I spoke to the guy at the garage again, he still suspects the ECU. Apparently he took it back to the place who refurbed it, its a place in Heanor Derbyshire, who checked it again and said it was OK.

I'll contact marinabrian and get his advice. It will be a pain paying twice, but would be good to get a definitive check to see if its OK or not.

Cheers,

Graham