The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New car park payment machines (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297370)

Dallas 11th July 2019 13:09

New car park payment machines

So who pays for their parking using these new card payment machines?

It seems many towns and cities are now phasing out the old coin machines in favour of these new smart technology payment alternatives.

In my area down here in Dorset we have seen pretty much all coin payment parking machines be replaced with these new card only machines. You can still pay for your parking by using your phone or an app, but you can no longer pay using coins.

I have seen and spoke to many people who end up getting back in their cars and go off looking for somewhere else to park all due to them not wanting to pay for parking by card or phone, some have said they don't even have a card (visa or CC), or even a smartphone.

It seems the future is already here... :eek:

Lancpudn 11th July 2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2746975)
So who pays for their parking using these new card payment machines?

It seems many towns and cities are now phasing out the old coin machines in favour of these new smart technology payment alternatives.

In my area down here in Dorset we have seen pretty much all coin payment parking machines be replaced with these new card only machines. You can still pay for your parking by using your phone or an app, but you can no longer pay using coins.

I have seen and spoke to many people who end up getting back in their cars and go off looking for somewhere else to park all due to them not wanting to pay for parking by card or phone, some have said they don't even have a card (visa or CC), or even a smartphone.

It seems the future is already here... :eek:

I've seen them in Bolton town centre but they still have the option of coins, the ones in the hospital car parks are still coinage and payment by phone but are out of action regular & as you said you see many older people who don't have mobile phones and are scared of getting a parking ticket and don't know what to do.

I have a mobile phone.....somewhere!:D I don't have a data package for it or even know how that sort of payment malarkey works! :shrug:

If I'm going anywhere near the town centres these days I use the bus.

And they wonder why town centres are dying a slow death.

There are a lot of things changing & going online only, whereas before you could ring the council office to speak to someone, you now have to make an online account with them and use email :eek:.

gnu 11th July 2019 14:28

Yeah, I dislike the phone parking machines. If not cash, I'll use the CC , but it's a real pain if you going to new places to work out the parking arrangements as they're so varied now and often not clear.

Teflon 11th July 2019 15:32

I met up with some old work colleagues for lunch a few months back in an area I was unfamiliar with. Parked the car (wifes Hyundai) and right away noticed the signs stating "pay by phone" only. Grrrr

It' quicker ans simpler says the sign, so I decide to give it a go.

1st thing, I have to download their stupid app. Phone didn't have a great signal, so I'm waving my 'phone around like a loon until the app is finally loaded.

Phew, now I can pay for my parking. NOPE! Next I have to register. Starting to get irritated now. More 'phone waving and some typing, followed by correcting the typos, then finally all done. At last!! Now to pay for the parking.

NOPE! Have to log a credit card first (really should have seen that coming).

Standing in the car park juggling wallet whilst waving 'phone to get a signal and simultaneously swearing like a trooper (getting REALLY annoyed by this time) I finally get the card logged. Now, can I PLEASE pay for my parking?

Yes! Success, and so much easier than putting a pound coin in the machine (NOT).

I know one of my old colleagues hates this kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about it. When I broach the subject with him, he cheerily tells me it was no problem as ".. you don't have to pay until 16:00 hrs"!! That pleased me no end, I can tell you :mad:.

Really don't like these systems.

Cliff

jackatesme 11th July 2019 16:25

My g/son gave me a visit to Cheltenham races for my birthday.Myself,son and g/son boarded 2 trains and entry to racecourse, all done with his phone no tickets used. Grateful the battery didn't run out.:D

Simondi 11th July 2019 16:34

I love using the Ringo app for parking.
I tells you how long you've got left and if necessary you can usually top up

topman 11th July 2019 16:46

Not seen them yet, still all coin operated. I do like the ones that have contactless payment option as well, very handy as I carry very little cash on me.

Dallas 11th July 2019 17:23

For the past few years we have had the option of coins, phone and card, but this past twelve months the councils have been sneakily changing over the machines one by one. It certainly seems a crazy idea to totally take away the coin option and introduce these card only machines, I reckon they are at least a good two decades too early. :eek:

I can see why these councils have adopted the idea, streamlining and finding effective ways to save them money, they don't care how difficult they are making it for the older non techie age group. I guest these new card machines no longer need emptying, no more threat of the old coin machines being broken into, no more coins getting stuck which then renders the machine out of order. lol

mileshawk56 11th July 2019 17:54

I suppose if one had time and inclination you could park,ignore the machine and leave a note on your windscreen to the effect the intructions wernt in your native language say Basque?? Be ok for our various Celtic citizens as well, I will let you know if I get any result, play the pensioner card as well,my wife has a walking stick and I wear glasses. Chris.S.

Heddy 11th July 2019 18:13

I downloaded the parking app and paid by card on a recent visit to Newquay. Found it very good, with a reminder when time bought was running out.