The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Auto Brake Pedal Cover (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297382)

The Mighty Quinn 11th July 2019 21:31

Auto Brake Pedal Cover

Does anyone know if it's possible to reproduce an original auto brake pedal cover from a new original one?

Most auto owners will know that the MG/Roewe replacements that were made in later years had a different pattern and were of a generally poorer quality than the originals.

I've had a new original pedal cover in the spares cabinet for a while (surely there's boxes of these things somewhere, though??) and it'll soon be getting fitted as part of the ongoing mini-resto.

So, would there be any way of developing a batch of pattern parts from this original before it gets fitted?

Cheers,
Karl.

DMGRS 11th July 2019 23:31

I looked into this, and found it difficult to find any UK companies who made rubber products - it all seems to have been moved abroad now.

The originals were fantastic, I uncovered a few and they sold in minutes. Now I know why! :duh:

If anyone does have them made up, there'll be a heck of a market for them. I guess the only benefit to the newer compound is that they're cheap as chips.

tantallon 12th July 2019 09:15

Nene Rubber and Plastics Peterborough will manufacture them They can make any rubber product or bonded rubber product

The Mighty Quinn 12th July 2019 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantallon (Post 2747200)
Nene Rubber and Plastics Peterborough will manufacture them They can make any rubber product or bonded rubber product

So, if I send them the original part, they could make up a batch from that?

That's worth looking into (will contact them next week to see what they can do)..

For the record, this would be a not-for-profit endeavour (on my behalf), but it'll be interesting to see what sort of costings they'd come back with.

Will update when I know more.

Cheers,
Karl.

steve-45 12th July 2019 15:54

Bet the tooling charges won’t be cheap !

The Mighty Quinn 13th August 2019 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2747264)
Bet the tooling charges won’t be cheap !

Too true, I'm afraid :)

After a few weeks and having sent off my new original part for sampling, one of the companies has reverted to me with pricing.

Material:
Black natural rubber 70 shore.

Good news:
If 50 parts were ordered, the cost would be £7.50 per item.
If 100 parts were ordered, the cost would be £4.45 per item.

Bad news:
The moulding costs £4,350 !!
So, if we were to get 50 definitive/paid orders, the cost would be £94.50 + P&P for each rubber pedal cover...

Form an orderly queue, please :D

Cheers,
Karl.

victorgte 13th August 2019 19:57

I was looking forward to ordering 2 but I need a pair of rear shocks!
What a pity.
Who made the originals?
Are they still made for other cars? A pedal is just a pedal after all and some car somewhere will be identical surely?

trikey 13th August 2019 20:07

That's a very expensive tooling price for an aluminium tool, the Chinese would produce a tool for a fraction of this price.

steve-45 13th August 2019 20:14

Very true about Chinese tooling, in my last few years in industrial purchasing I was always surprised how cheap Chinese tooling could be, the hardest task was finding a UK company willing to run it.

The Mighty Quinn 13th August 2019 20:28

Don't fancy sending the last known new original part half way round the world for cheap tooling purposes - sorry! I'm actually going to want the part for fitting shortly :getmecoat:

I'm amazed that boxes of these things haven't turned up somewhere. It's not like they were an exclusive part or an optional extra.. :)

Anyway, if it's any use, I'm happy to send on the quote and contact details to the club directors for future reference. I assume that the company involved took a mould from the cover I sent them (although I haven't confirmed this with them).

Cheers,
Karl.