The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Staines Air Crash Commemoration (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319662)

planenut 18th June 2022 06:13

Staines Air Crash Commemoration

Today, June 18th, is fifty years since a Trident aircraft crashed after take off from Heathrow, killing all 118 on board. This remains the worst aviation accident the United Kingdom.
There will be a church service later this morning, then a re-dedication of a memorial which is near to the crash site this afternoon.

sworks 18th June 2022 13:01

I’m a huge Air Crash Investigation fan so know this one well.

planenut 18th June 2022 14:34

'twas a decent turnout with a large contingent from Belgium, the flight had been destined for Brussels.
Some interesting people who had key roles on the day.
Certainly some of the occurrences on the day led to some of the safety that we take for granted now.

macafee2 19th June 2022 18:23

Was this a door problem where the closing handle was forced and door fell off? Many lives lost to this fault as other planes also went down.
I too like Air Crash investigation. Staggering how many crashes are the result of "stupidity"

macafee2

Graham1961 19th June 2022 18:39

Was this the Trident flown by a Stanley Key, he had a run in with some pilots earlier on over strike issues and was in a foul mood during the take off.

He had throttled back too much to avoid noise and the aircraft lost height missing electric pylons before hitting the ground.

MSS 19th June 2022 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2936216)
Was this a door problem where the closing handle was forced and door fell off? Many lives lost to this fault as other planes also went down.
I too like Air Crash investigation. Staggering how many crashes are the result of "stupidity"

macafee2

You are thinking of the DC10 door problems?

macafee2 19th June 2022 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2936222)
You are thinking of the DC10 door problems?

Dont know if it was a DC10 but yes, door problems.

I have just Googled the crash, it was not a door problem.

macafee2

sworks 19th June 2022 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham1961 (Post 2936220)
Was this the Trident flown by a Stanley Key, he had a run in with some pilots earlier on over strike issues and was in a foul mood during the take off.

He had throttled back too much to avoid noise and the aircraft lost height missing electric pylons before hitting the ground.

Yes, that’s the one

macafee2 19th June 2022 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2936072)
I’m a huge Air Crash Investigation fan so know this one well.

There has been something similar on TV, Disasters at Sea.
I quite like that too

macafee2

planenut 19th June 2022 21:52

It was the Papa India Trident,, as stated by Graham.
Maladjustments of lift devices during noise abatement transition with miscalculation of take-off speeds led to a stall from low cloud.
One hundred and eighteen people died.
Safety features introduced because of this incident are taken for granted by millions of aircraft users, cockpit voice recorders being the most important.