The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KV6 tensioner pully and arm (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290896)

RattyB 10th December 2018 13:08

KV6 tensioner pully and arm

Hi all,

The 2.0 V6 has started making a loud rattling noise when it is started from cold which dies down after the engine has been running for just over a minute.

Originally I thought it was the inlet manifold. Replaced that and the noise didn't go, tried changing the oil incase a low quality filter had been fitted and was allowing oil to drain off from the engine - wasn't that either.

I've now come to the conclusion by looking at threads here that it could be the idler and or the tensioner arm. Can said suspect parts be tackled by the home mechanic, or is it a tad more complex than that?

The car is is 78k and the cambelt and water pump where changed when we got the car at 72k

Rev Jules 10th December 2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyB (Post 2693387)
Hi all,

The 2.0 V6 has started making a loud rattling noise when it is started from cold which dies down after the engine has been running for just over a minute.

Originally I thought it was the inlet manifold. Replaced that and the noise didn't go, tried changing the oil incase a low quality filter had been fitted and was allowing oil to drain off from the engine - wasn't that either.

I've now come to the conclusion by looking at threads here that it could be the idler and or the tensioner arm. Can said suspect parts be tackled by the home mechanic, or is it a tad more complex than that?

The car is is 78k and the cambelt and water pump where changed when we got the car at 72k

All well and good but did they change the tensioner as well,

Rev

RattyB 10th December 2018 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2693392)
All well and good but did they change the tensioner as well,

Rev

If it is the tensioner or the idler making the noise, then that would suggest that they didn't!

BigRuss 10th December 2018 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyB (Post 2693395)
If it is the tensioner or the idler making the noise, then that would suggest that they didn't!

Doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't changed it, because the pulley bolt that holds it on to the tensioner can become slack. ;)
There was a bulletin about this happening, it advised that before it was fitted, reapplying threadlock on the bolt and re-torquing it down ;)

Russ

SD1too 10th December 2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyB (Post 2693387)
... it could be the idler and or the tensioner arm. Can said suspect parts be tackled by the home mechanic ...

Yes Chris, the procedure is the same as for renewing the front timing belt. When that was done 6,000 miles ago, did the invoice show money being paid for a new tensioner pulley and/or idler?

Even if the tensioner pulley was replaced, was it set-up correctly? :eek: Your new belt (and engine) could be at risk! Best not take the chance. ;)

Simon

RattyB 10th December 2018 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2693455)
Yes Chris, the procedure is the same as for renewing the front timing belt. When that was done 6,000 miles ago, did the invoice show money being paid for a new tensioner pulley and/or idler?

Even if the tensioner pulley was replaced, was it set-up correctly? :eek: Your new belt (and engine) could be at risk! Best not take the chance. ;)

Simon

Invoice shows 1x water pump and 1 x cam belt kit....

The whole job was £700

SD1too 11th December 2018 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattyB (Post 2693476)
Invoice shows ... 1 x cam belt kit....

That's too vague for my liking. What's in a "kit"? It might have just been the belts; that would qualify as a "kit". To be certain, you'd need the brand and part number which doesn't appear to have been given.

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine were; a rattling sound from a cold start which only lasts a minute or so. My tensioner pulley bearing was very rough running and the idler wheel was oozing grease from its hub. I renewed them both and there's now no more rattling. I'd strongly recommend that you do the same, and make sure that whoever does the job is given a paper copy of the INA set-up instructions.

Simon

Chuckles 11th December 2018 07:46

Not all (new) tensioners are perfect.
After a full cam belt, tensioner, oil pump, thermostat change and service etc on 70K I had a screaming noise occasionally, that was the tensioner

RattyB 11th December 2018 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2693561)
That's too vague for my liking. What's in a "kit"? It might have just been the belts; that would qualify as a "kit". To be certain, you'd need the brand and part number which doesn't appear to have been given.

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine were; a rattling sound from a cold start which only lasts a minute or so. My tensioner pulley bearing was very rough running and the idler wheel was oozing grease from its hub. I renewed them both and there's now no more rattling. I'd strongly recommend that you do the same, and make sure that whoever does the job is given a paper copy of the INA set-up instructions.

Simon

Thanks. Do you know where I can get a copy of the setup instructions?

wullie480 11th December 2018 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckles (Post 2693565)
Not all (new) tensioners are perfect.
After a full cam belt, tensioner, oil pump, thermostat change and service etc on 70K I had a screaming noise occasionally, that was the tensioner

Correct new parts can fail prematurely, Fella at work had to replace tensioner & idle wheel within 12 months of changing the belts on his zt as they had failed.