The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Disc shield detach? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308795)

Lambo 24th October 2020 07:22

Disc shield detach?

Hi Folks,

2004 MGZT CDTi auto 43k miles on

So driving home a sudden clattering noise like I had run over something then it continues as a horrible 'rotational' noise?
I drove it the half mile home rather gingerly and parked on the drive, had a quick look and can't see owt obvious but someone said it's likely a disc back plate rotted through and detached?
Has anyone else had this happen? common with 3 series he told me?

So I'm waiting for it to stop raining and have a jack up and proper look!

Cheers

Lambo

Mike Noc 24th October 2020 07:46

If it is coming from the back then could be one of the brake shoe holding pins has come adrift due to corrosion of the backplate.
If it coming from the front you may be lucky and find a stone caught between the disc and the brake shield - had that happen last year. :}

roverbarmy 24th October 2020 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2844134)
If it is coming from the back then could be one of the brake shoe holding pins has come adrift due to corrosion of the backplate.
If it coming from the front you may be lucky and find a stone caught between the disc and the brake shield - had that happen last year. :}

Me too, then as I reversed onto the driveway, it stopped squeaking! The partly ground piece of gravel was sat on the ground!:shrug:

Mike Noc 24th October 2020 08:38

Funnily enough I fitted the old disc shield to a replacement front hub yesterday and even with the 3 holding bolts removed I had to jemmy it off it was such a tight fit.

Even if it rusted through I can't it spinning around on our cars.

bl52krz 24th October 2020 10:07

Might not be spinning round, just being ground down by disc itself as it is jammed by something.

clf 24th October 2020 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2844134)

I had this a couple of months ago. I thought it was the spring and pin, got all the tools out, and new Ford fitting kit, but as I removed the disc, a stone dropped out, then a spring! :eek:

-----------------------------------

To the OP, I can imagine as mentioned, it will likely be the hold down pins on the back plate for the shoes (it is very common). You can 'repair' with a set of Ford hold down pins, springs and spring cups. The ZT/75 way of fitting, is for the pin to push towards the centre of the car, with the Ford kit, the pins push into the back plate from the middle of the car outwards. With the head of the pin holding against the hole of the backplate (it makes sense when you are looking at it).

I have had on a different car, the back plate break apart, and it fell into the rim of the wheel. Because of the shape of it, it lay in it, and made a grinding noise constantly. That was disturbing, but such a relief when I removed the wheel.

It runs 24th October 2020 11:58

I didn't suppose you have a broken front spring with part of I touching the rim !
I got of lucky the other year just come of the motorway and one snapped and managed to end up with part of it touching the wheel I was very lucky I had just been traveling at (70) mph for 2 hours

Arctic 24th October 2020 12:26

Also check the break pads as one may have come adrift from the plate and could be grinding seen that before? which ever it turns out to be, you need to get the wheel off and check visually first.

Lambo 25th October 2020 12:51

Thanks everyone,

O/S Front plate rotted, something must have hit it and was rubbing on the disc, quick fix with tin snips until she gets new brakes in a month or two!

Old cars eh who'd have them :}