The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel thermostat definative answer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468)

Thomas 15th December 2010 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammyboy (Post 634787)
Mine arrived today so now can look seriously for hotter stat.:xmas-smiley-031: Also noticed they are advertised on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MGZT-...item5641884db3

Specalist components has about five left so thats why he stuck them on ebay, if a member of the forum would still like one just follow the procedure we set up to get it at the same price we all paid for them and obviously if we have enough interest again another batch is not a problem.

Mintee 15th December 2010 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer_phil (Post 635280)
Well I bought a generic cross reference QH102 - but is actually stamped 91 deg.

Sounds fine then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer_phil (Post 635280)
Cost 5.95 from local motor factors. NO HOLE!

Look closely round the edge of the 'valve'. Is there no small cutaway at the edge anywhere?

rossocorsa 15th December 2010 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 635225)
Agreed, there will be hardly any difference if there is water either side of the valve. However if there is air trapped on the engine side and no hole to clear it then there will be a LARGE difference. :undecided::undecided::undecided:

I think the thermostat will not be air tight and will have a small section to bleed ar through

Jules 15th December 2010 21:09

Evening Gents
Some interesting (but expected) findings last couple of pages.

It's obvious from some of your findings that the temp isn't as stable as a fully functioning OEM Stat.

Someone mentioned fitting the Inline one in the bottom hose!
.......if it could be fitted fairly easily, however most of the bottom hose is made of metal with just 2 x 90deg bends in rubber. (one at base of Rad, the other is connected at the OEM Stat housing)
Unless a right angled housing could be made this would be very difficult to do.

Not sure if that would work though unless it was a PRT type.
There is no hot water at bottom hose for ages and engine may boil over before any heat reaches it!!

I stand to be corrected but my understanding of how the OEM Stat functions is as follows:

Consider the M47 block as a large pan of Water
It takes X amount of time for latent heat to be conducted from block to water.
A percentage reaches the wax bulb via CONDUCTION and a % via the ball valve.

Some owners are still puzzled why it takes between 4 & 7 miles for running temp to be achieved (depending on engine load)
Even if you fitted a 100 deg Stat (if one existed) wam up time wouldn't be any quicker.

The only way to heat that Pan of water (engine block) quicker would be to add a larger flame! ...............ie the addition of the good olde Webasto FBH !
Blocking off the Rad won't shorten warmup!
This is why the FBH was an option on Freelanders & 75's

If you only do short trips and want quick warmup, fit a webasto
or .....buy a petrol engine!
Diesel engines were never meant to be for short trips.

Mintee 15th December 2010 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 635413)
It's obvious from some of your findings that the temp isn't as stable as a fully functioning OEM Stat.

I think that people are looking for peaks and troughs at the moment. My Chevy 'stat is pretty stable, but I cannot compare it to the OE one as mine was toast when I got the car.... :)
Quote:

The only way to heat that Pan of water (engine block) quicker would be to add a larger flame! ...............ie the addition of the good olde Webasto FBH !
Blocking off the Rad won't shorten warmup!

Can we carve that in stone somewhere?
Quote:

This is why the FBH was an option on Freelanders & 75's

I was looking for a car with my cousin the other day and we found a Freelander TD4, looking rather unloved in a dealers and we found that not only did it fire up on the first turn of the key but that it had a Webasto that also worked!

This was clearly a good omen. She's buying it so it looks like I'll have another M47R engine to tweak :D

calibrax 16th December 2010 20:58

I'll be perfectly happy if the temperature about 10 miles into my normal 45 mile commute goes from what it is now without the inline stat (i.e. 68c-74c) up to around 80c-85c with the inline stat installed.

I think this thread is becoming a little preoccupied with getting very specific temp levels when i think all we're really looking for is a general improvement of around 10c... which seems to be easily attainable.

Jules 17th December 2010 00:17

Agreed Steve but this whole solution cannot be called "definitive" until a hot day next summer (with ambient temps of say 25deg) with fairly hard driving conditions.
Remember these Stats cannot pass as much coolant through them as the Originals do due quite a smaller disc seat diameter etc.
( I suspect BMW carried out extensive calculations as the flow rates etc )
We know the new Stat on the whole improves matters for a premature opening Original, but is it going to cope when you need full flow, in high ambient temps
ie up a steep hill towing a caravan !

Only time will tell as they say.
Always best to test a new product/mod in extreme conditions.
Any I fit will be at the owners own risk until my own tests are complete.

What we really need is an Ozzie member to fit one now down under as it's their Summer!...........................Anyone??

rossocorsa 17th December 2010 06:56

I suspect it will be fine just so long as your fan is working properly but as we all know a very high proportion of diesels have a fan that doesn't work at least in the outside world among non-members

wuzerk 17th December 2010 07:31

but is it going to cope when you need full flow, in high ambient temps
ie up a steep hill towing a caravan !

We can theorise for ever but will only know when the right weather has arrived. However, the top radiator plastic pipe has an internal diameter of
around 28mm or even less which is the same as the Chevy stat so I cannot see that there will be any more restriction on the flow rate.

JULES, what was the diameter of the flow hole on the stat which you tested which produced 99C?

Mintee 17th December 2010 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 635885)
Remember these Stats cannot pass as much coolant through them as the Originals do due quite a smaller disc seat diameter etc.

You do not know the flow rate of either of them do you? The valve may have a reduced diameter to the O/E 'stat but how far do each of them open?