The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   It's Official - Bones Needs An Engine. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292502)

Bogbrush82 2nd February 2019 11:32

It's Official - Bones Needs An Engine.

Rang them up this morning to find out what the latest was on Bones, and it's bad news. The engine has seized and needs replacing. :(

So now I need to source a replacement engine, and with £450 quid sunk into her already, I'm in a real pickle. Does anybody out there have an engine they're willing to part with? They've said they'll fit it for £150 if I can get one.

Yours desperately:

David.

marinabrian 2nd February 2019 11:39

Seized??

Hang on a minute could you give us a brief rundown on what has actually happened, it seems a bit excessive to go from a starter motor to a seized engine :eek:

Brian :D

slovcan 2nd February 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2707907)
Rang them up this morning to find out what the latest was on Bones, and it's bad news. The engine has seized and needs replacing. :(

So now I need to source a replacement engine, and with £450 quid sunk into her already, I'm in a real pickle. Does anybody out there have an engine they're willing to part with? They've said they'll fit it for £150 if I can get one.

Yours desperately:

David.

WHAT?????? Dawn just had that engine put in. MG6 or MG7 engine? A member did it for her. Maybe time to bring the car home for now and find out what is really going on or what really happened. Starter was spinning, but not engaging the ring gear. Then they told you it was seized. Can't be both. Now the engine is seized? Something's way off the mark here.

Slow down. Wait for some others to offer up their thoughts.

Glenn

trikey 2nd February 2019 11:52

Yep, I agree with Brian, I know the engine was not good when it arrived here, but once I had changed everything it was a good unit.

Speak to the garage, if possible pop along and watch while they turn the engine over manually using the bottom and see how it looks.

Dawn 2nd February 2019 12:41

I'm confused? Why would an engine with all those new parts, new oil, new coolant seize up? What would cause it? I thought they only seized through lack of oil or coolant and she never used a drop after Andy did her?

Unless this weather split a hose or something but you'd have noticed that? Or are there other causes I dont realize being a novice? I am so sorry David but obviously this is the last thing I could have expected ��I wish I had just scrapped her now.

Mickyboy 2nd February 2019 12:54

Sorry to hear this, however a bit more info from the garage would probably help to understand the issue more comprehensively, however from my experience in dismantling The most common reason engines seize is that they run out of oil, or lose oil pressure.
Mick

Mike Trident 2nd February 2019 12:57

I didn't want to say anything earlier when someone said in the other post that he was there when it was turned over, and it sounded like no compression at all.

That's how they sound when a cam belt goes.

Bogbrush82 2nd February 2019 13:14

Just rang them again - They tried turning it over via the crank and it wouldn't budge. They also said they're willing to let someone else take a look at it if I want to.

Cam belt is fine.

Dad reckons if the engine had seized, then the starter motor would have still engaged the flywheel, but then you would get a clonk afterwards, also no warning lights had appeared on the dashboard, and oil levels were fine.

clf 2nd February 2019 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2707938)
Just rang them again - They tried turning it over via the crank and it wouldn't budge. They also said they're willing to let someone else take a look at it if I want to.

Cam belt is fine.

Dad reckons if the engine had seized, then the starter motor would have still engaged the flywheel, but then you would get a clonk afterwards.

is it possible the car was in gear when they tried turning it over?

ATSBod 2nd February 2019 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2707931)
I didn't want to say anything earlier when someone said in the other post that he was there when it was turned over, and it sounded like no compression at all.

That's how they sound when a cam belt goes.

It was me (David's dad) who thought that.