The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil coming out of bolt hole? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292831)

JMW 11th February 2019 11:13

Oil coming out of bolt hole?

. .

Rev Jules 11th February 2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMW (Post 2710503)
Hi,

Dad has a 2004 diesel estate, the engine cover has three bolts holding it onto the engine, the top left bolt by the oil filler if you remove it while the engine is running spurts engine oil out of it.

My ZTT and my ZT both diesels don’t do this, has anyone else experienced this or know why they would be different?

Thanks

Jon

Someone has put a longer bolt in there penetrating the bottom ,

Rev

BigRuss 11th February 2019 11:24

It's because someone at sometime has fitted a longer non standard bolt to attach the engine cover ;)

Seen this many times, the longer bolt punches a hole through to the inside of the rocker box cover. If you run the engine with the bolt removed it nicely sprays oil all over the top of the engine ;)

Russ

Mike Trident 11th February 2019 15:23

don't take the bolt out, simples!

sorry, the guys above are correct.

COLVERT 11th February 2019 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMW (Post 2710509)
Thanks, I’ll let him know.

It's only a problem if you have a screw loose--:D--If you see what I mean.--:eek:

tourer 12th February 2019 09:54

My CDT came brand new with different length of bolts for the engine cover. I was always careful to put them back in the correct order.
Terry TS AUTOS changed the long one for a short one so that it could never cause trouble.
Always assumed they all came with a mixture.

jackatesme 12th February 2019 18:15

Sorry to hijack,but i have bolt missing there, what is the max length i should put in there.

COLVERT 12th February 2019 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2710867)
Sorry to hijack,but i have bolt missing there, what is the max length i should put in there.

I would guess at the same length as the other 3 that you still have.--;)

Rick-sta 12th February 2019 18:57

I really read that threat title wrong! :eek::eek::eek:

Arctic 12th February 2019 19:31

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2710867)

I would say 15mm the original ones are I think 20mm in length, 6mm thread and an 8mm head, so a 8mm headed 6mm thread and 15mm length would suit.

Those that have had the cam cover pieced by over tightening the original bolt or one longer, I have in the past used a number plate plastic screw as a grub screw 5mm, but then you need a 10mm length bolt so as not to push on the grub screw when fitting the engine cover, but as already stated if you do have a pieced cam cover and the engine cover is removed with the engine running just insert the bolt a third in to stop the oil spitting out.