The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   internet security (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318944)

xsport 1st May 2022 19:53

internet security

can anyone recommend a free download that i could use on my windows 10 laptop. getting a bit fed up of paying , year after year for renewal. i will have to renew soon as i do quite a bit of online banking , but never use my apple phone to do this. i prefer to use my laptop. anything out there ? if not i will have to renew again . thanks . ;) im on norton at the moment .

another_clean_sheet 1st May 2022 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2930550)
can anyone recommend a free download that i could use on my windows 10 laptop. getting a bit fed up of paying , year after year for renewal. i will have to renew soon as i do quite a bit of online banking , but never use my apple phone to do this. i prefer to use my laptop. anything out there ? if not i will have to renew again . thanks . ;) im on norton at the moment .

If you look at the latest Which reports on internet security then Kaspersky came top. However that is Russian and general consensus is not to use it because of obvious reasons. Avast was rated highly and I have been using for a few months after I uninstalled Kaapersky with no problems.
https://www.avast.com/en-gb/lp-ppc-a...clsrc=aw.ds#pc

Arctic 2nd May 2022 09:31

most banks already have this below on their sites.

trusteer endpoint protection windows 10.

Also doesn't windows have defender, i thought avast slows down your PC ?

another_clean_sheet 2nd May 2022 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2930598)

Also doesn't windows have defender, i thought avast slows down your PC ?

I have not noticed any difference

stevestrat 2nd May 2022 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2930598)
i thought avast slows down your PC ?

If it does the difference is marginal, I've used Avast for a long time, it doesn't clog up your laptop/pc like Norton etc does.

Pistons_and_processors 2nd May 2022 19:17

I work in cyber security, and on my personal laptop I just use Microsoft Defender and keep it up to date. As a anti-virus it’s developed well over the last few years.
Additionally Sophos do a free anti-virus which has some additional functionality if you wanted to manage multiple devices (ie a laptop a child uses and you want to restrict content).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSS 2nd May 2022 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistons_and_processors (Post 2930659)
I work in cyber security, and on my personal laptop I just use Microsoft Defender and keep it up to date. As a anti-virus it’s developed well over the last few years.
Additionally Sophos do a free anti-virus which has some additional functionality if you wanted to manage multiple devices (ie a laptop a child uses and you want to restrict content).

Should you be telling the world about your cyber security work or are you the 'honeypot' for foreign espionage agents?

As for MS defender, I do the same.

Come to think of it, for all those glamorous foreign agents - I am deep into cyber security work. :cool:

Pistons_and_processors 2nd May 2022 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2930669)
Should you be telling the world about your cyber security work or are you the 'honeypot' for foreign espionage agents?

As for MS defender, I do the same.

Come to think of it, for all those glamorous foreign agents - I am deep into cyber security work. :cool:

Didn’t say I was any good at it 😆

Lagetha 3rd May 2022 09:15

Free Virus Protection

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2930550)

I have used Windows own Defender product that comes with Windows 10 & 11 for many years after previously using Kaspersky. As long as you enable automatic updates to allow virus definition updates to be installed daily you should be protected.

Tenesmus 4th May 2022 15:52

Another vote for Windows Defender. Make sure it and Windows as a whole has all the updates.