The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New noise from the front. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319675)

chicochapman 19th June 2022 10:32

New noise from the front.

Its a 2002 KV6 ZTT automatic with 116,000 miles on the clock.
A new noise from the front has appeared which I can best describe as an irregular muffled clonking sound which only appears on the over-run.

Has anybody any thoughts on what it might be ?

Thanks,
Malc

SD1too 19th June 2022 12:11

At 116,000 miles has your ancillary belt tensioner ever been renewed?

You could also examine your engine mountings.

Simon

chicochapman 20th June 2022 19:21

Thanks Simon.
I have an invoice from MG Rover Mobile Mechanics of Derby dated 2015
showing "all cambelts, cambelt tensioners, guiders and waterpump" were replaced at 87,000 miles.
On reflection, I think the noise is there all the time - its just more apparent on the over-run when the engine is quieter.(my hearing is not too good !)

The lower engine mount was replaced about 2 years ago as I noticed a distinct "clunk" on moving off, however, I'll have a look at the other mountings as you suggest. I'm also thinking of waggling the front wheels to see if its a bearing problem?
Thanks,
Malc

SD1too 21st June 2022 06:45

Hi Malcolm,

It was the ancillary belt tensioner I was asking about! :D From memory, if you remove the OSF wheel arch liner you can observe it whilst an assistant revs the engine. I once did this on a friend's Saab 9000 and the loss of belt tension was very apparent.

Simon

xsport 21st June 2022 11:43

The large bearing housing that transmits the drive shaft to the offside front wheel , have for some members been an issue once they get worn and show signs of play. They can be replaced . You could check that out once you have eliminated the other suggestions first.

chicochapman 23rd June 2022 17:46

Solved

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit it but in the interests of full disclosure,
it was an insecure front wheel!
Four of the studs showed a wide shiny area where they had been "fretting".

I just used the hand wrench to tighten the studs on the basis that in the event of a puncture I would have a chance of getting them undone.

However, all tightened to 125 now and I'm keeping the torque wrench in the car.

I'll get me coat!

SD1too 24th June 2022 09:12

It's nice to have an inexpensive and satisfactory solution Malcolm! Thanks for reporting back.

Simon

xsport 24th June 2022 18:29

I admire your honesty and courage to admit your oversight !! ... and the upside to all this .. ? It has now sorted out your problem , so Alls well that ends well. ... :D