The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   rover 75 tourer steering rack (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319705)

david2000 21st June 2022 11:37

rover 75 tourer steering rack

hi to all
today had a look to see where there is a knock coming from on the front drivers side jacked up the car and a friend moved the wheel from side to side and you can hear a knock i went under the car and it was coming from the steering rack i put my hand on the steering gaiter and you can feel the knock in the ball joint my question is can this be adjusted or does it mean the rack need to be replaced
david

xsport 21st June 2022 11:54

whilst jacked up with both wheels off the ground, and with the steering lock disengaged , the steering wheel will spin , and when it gets to the end of its turns it will bump. Mine has always done this . Have you any play on the inner or outer tie rods ? you should be able to feel this by hand. You will also notice a zero movement of the roadwheels each side as you move the steering wheel side to side if there is play. it should be very positive when you move it, and show at the roadwheels a positive response.

trikey 21st June 2022 13:08

Probably just an inner tie rod that needs changing

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

david2000 23rd June 2022 17:25

hi to all
today i had another look to see what is wrong with my steering with the key in the ignition move the steering and look at the wheel and there is play at the steering wheel and you can hear a knock i did the same with my other 75 and as you move the steering wheel you can see the road wheel move this does not happen on my other 75 is it the steering rack or steering Column
david

xsport 24th June 2022 20:16

That will be for you to investigate. Any small turn of the wheel should respond with a roadwheel steering response. That is provided the columb clamp at the base of the steering columb to wrack is not showing play or loose movement in any way. The wrack should be seen to extend upon moving the steering wheel.You need to check both the inner and outer tie rods for play as trikey said. You can hold the inner rod and try to see if there is play to the outer rod. Then check the outer joint at the hub. I have just renewed both of mine each side , and found the inners were ok but yours may or may not be. It would help if you have an assistant to check with you to make life easier. The boot behind the brake pedal does remove to check the bottom columb to wrack joint , but i suspect outer tie rods first, then inners. DMGRS has them in stock and they are reasonable quality. good luck .

xsport 24th June 2022 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by david2000 (Post 2936687)
hi to all
today i had another look to see what is wrong with my steering with the key in the ignition move the steering and look at the wheel and there is play at the steering wheel and you can hear a knock i did the same with my other 75 and as you move the steering wheel you can see the road wheel move this does not happen on my other 75 is it the steering rack or steering Column
david

Without seeming rude in any way. The steering wheel is tight isnt it .... :D

david2000 25th June 2022 10:53

hi to all
yes and yesterday i took the cover off the bottom of the steering column and while touching the universal joint and then moving the steering wheel you can feel play in the steering rack below where the universal joint connects to the rack
david