The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   questions for auto drivers (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297013)

macafee2 29th June 2019 11:03

questions for auto drivers

Looking for answers from those that drive automatics.

In stop start traffic do you:-

1 keep in drive with foot on brake
2 keep in drive with hand brake on
3 put in neutral with foot on brake
4 put in neutral with handbrake or no brake
5 put in park

please vote

why do I ask?
1 At work a lot of drivers sit with their foot on the brake dazzling those behind. Inside a ship is not that bright

2 I find going from drive to park and back to drive gains me nothing over a manual. In a Mini this is quite an unpleasant experience as the gear shift is so notchy.

Dawn 29th June 2019 11:29

You should put in park or N and put the hanbrake on. I confess to sitting in drive with my foot on the brake.....

SD1too 29th June 2019 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2744182)
... a lot of drivers sit with their foot on the brake dazzling those behind.

:wot:
All drivers do, whether in a manual or automatic, on virtually every journey I make. The question I would like answered is why? Perhaps Dawn could set the ball rolling as she has been brave enough to own up?
Quote:

I find going from drive to park and back to drive gains me nothing over a manual.
'Park' is so named because it's for when the vehicle is ... errr ... well, parked. ;) It should not be used during driving. Neutral should be selected (as with a manual gearbox) and the handbrake applied.

Simon

Mickyboy 29th June 2019 12:41

One click into neutral, handbrake on, sit back relax then one click into D handbrake off sit back enjoy the ride take in the scenery in your stride, it’s always enjoyable in my rover ride. :cool:
Mick ( you make decisions in life, you don’t look back!)

roverbarmy 29th June 2019 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2744215)
One click into neutral, handbrake on, sit back relax then one click into D handbrake off sit back enjoy the ride take in the scenery in your stride, it’s always enjoyable in my rover ride. :cool:
Mick ( you make decisions in life, you don’t look back!)

+ 1 unless it's a momentary stop.

wraymond 29th June 2019 14:06

At traffic lights, and when engine is warm and turning @pprox 650, leave in D with h'brake in 3 clicks. That tells me when h'brake needs adjusting. At longer stops, say railway crossings, P and then h'brake.

Edit: just discovered I am in a minority of 1. Even so, my favourite non-car colour of Blue.

Simondi 29th June 2019 14:07

In drive with foot on the break - unless it's obvious I will be there for a while

trikey 29th June 2019 14:21

Neutral with handbrake on... the reasons as follows.

Leave in drive and the auto fluid gets very hot!

Don’t use handbrake on an auto, come mot time it will be virtually useless!

jim lee 29th June 2019 15:27

As Macafee 2 says, keeping your foot on the brake pedal at night ruins the night vision of the driver behind. This practice also is at odds with the Highway Code. It is an Offence to dazzle other drivers with your lights at night! It is recommended you apply the handbrake when stopped and remove foot from brake pedal once your vehicle has stopped and the vehicle behind has also stopped. See Highway Code for these points.

I too notice many drivers keeping their foot on the brake pedal while stopped, day or night. However, seeing the number of cars around with foot pedal operated parking brakes, as well as electric parking brakes, I think these systems encourage the practice. You cannot beat a traditional parking brake operated by a hand lever. Manufacturers claim removing the handbrake lever opens up space for more storage - such as extra cup holders!

On my auto CDTi I always keep it in Drive and apply handbrake when stopped at lights. As the engine is turning over so slowly there is no fear of overheating the transmission fluid. On the other issue of depressing or not depressing the handbrake button when applying the handbrake, I ALWAYS depress the button. To do otherwise upsets my Engineering sensibilities due to the teeth jarring noise. Pun intended.

Lancpudn 29th June 2019 16:11

Voted 1st choice, there are that many dip $h*& drivers on the roads these days I'm keeping my brake lights ON.