The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Strange noise from my 75 engine at low rpm (<=1000) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315784)

Enzo1 12th October 2021 18:57

Strange noise from my 75 engine at low rpm (<=1000)

Hello,
once again I'd like to ask for your kind help.
As I mentioned in other posts I have a 2000cc Diesel 75 of 1999.
The problem I'm experiencing started suddenly today: an abnormal and loud sound (like a tak-tak-tak...) coming from the engine at low rpm (below 1000rpm). The noise starts a few seconds after I ignite the car.

Did any of you experienced anything similar? What was the problem in your case? My garage is about 15km away; in principle I could drive the car there, though I suppose this would be risky and better avoided, am I correct?
I look forward to your replies, for which I thank you in advance!
Kind regards,

Enzo

malagas 12th October 2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo1 (Post 2903387)
Hello,
once again I'd like to ask for your kind help.
As I mentioned in other posts I have a 2000cc Diesel 75 of 1999.
The problem I'm experiencing started suddenly today: an abnormal and loud sound (like a tak-tak-tak...) coming from the engine at low rpm (below 1000rpm). The noise starts a few seconds after I ignite the car.

Did any of you experienced anything similar? What was the problem in your case? My garage is about 15km away; in principle I could drive the car there, though I suppose this would be risky and better avoided, am I correct?
I look forward to your replies, for which I thank you in advance!
Kind regards,

Enzo

I'll go for camshaft pulley...:shrug:

Mike Noc 13th October 2021 05:33

Either a crankshaft pulley on the way out or the water pump.

Ducati750cc 13th October 2021 11:37

A dual mass flywheel can make a similar noise.

Does it go away if the revs are increased slightly ?

A simple way of determining where a noise is coming from is by using a piece of rubber tube in your ear at one end and moving the other end around where you think the noise is coming from, taking care to keep clear of moving belts and pulleys, a stethoscope is better but not worth buying for a one off.

If the tube in the ear gives the general area of the noise, it can be narrowed down further by using a long screwdriver or steel rod pressed against your eat and pressed against the area of the noise.

TourerSteve 13th October 2021 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati750cc (Post 2903460)
A dual mass flywheel can make a similar noise.

I will second that one , Often will also rattle as the engine comes to rest after it has been switched off .

Mike Noc 13th October 2021 17:57

Very easy to check if it is DMF or crank pulley/ water pump as they are at opposite ends of the engine. :}

Rattling DMFs aren't common on the M47R so I'd start at the auxiliary drive belt end.

Enzo1 15th October 2021 17:07

Thank you very much! I brought the car to a garage, we'll see now...

Enzo1 15th October 2021 17:09

Many thanks!

I'm grateful for your many and valuable suggestions!

Enzo