The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Just saying hi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307933)

Alex D 16th September 2020 21:18

Just saying hi

Good evening everyone. I'm a new owner and a new member so i thought i would introduce myself.

A few weeks ago i passed my driving test and a couple of days later i bought a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur in Wedgwood blue as my first car. I know it's an unusual first car especially at my age (17) but i've admired these cars for a few years now and to finally own one is a dream come true.

I'll put some pictures up when i work out how to do it.

Mike Trident 16th September 2020 21:22

Hello, and welcome!

Congratulations on the test pass as well.

Reebs 16th September 2020 21:28

Welcome along Alex and what excellent taste you have :D

Your car rolled off the production line at 08:00:28 on Monday 8th July 2002 BTW :sunny:

Enjoy browsing the club forums and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are a friendly lot :}

BoroRover 17th September 2020 14:29

Hi, and Welcome to the club. Lots, and lots of great advice and help in here.
Once a 75 fan.... !!

bl52krz 17th September 2020 15:27

Welcome aboard the flag ship Rover.Just wondering what about the marque attracted you to it?

Parker 17th September 2020 15:35

Just saying hi

I've been a Rover fan from the day I passed my driving test back in 1980 when my first car was a Rover P6 2200TC

This was replaced by a P6 3500S Auto a 3500 SD1 and a variety of models there after before my first 75.

Sadly not a 75 owner now but looking. The face, lines and dash of the 75 attracted me.

Enjoy and welcome to the club.

Discofan 17th September 2020 18:02

Just out of interest, how much is your insurance on a 75 at 17?
My son who's about to turn 19 drives a VW Up!, his was initially about £1250, came down to around £850 after 1st full year, Id expect the Rover to be expensive?

Alex D 17th September 2020 19:40

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

To answer your questions:

Quite a few people have asked me why I like Rover cars and I never really know what to say. I just think they all (especially the 75) look so much more elegant and classy than 99% of other cars on the road. Plus the fact they're British and I also find the history of the marque very interesting.

Insurance was rather expensive, especially when I only paid £875 for the car at just over £2600 with a black box. That's for 4000 miles a year.

Alex D 17th September 2020 19:55

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bbb44eb29e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7713201aff.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...dcba15f4a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trikey 17th September 2020 19:55

Welcome along, a good choice for a first car :bowdown:

MDMH757 17th September 2020 20:01

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on passing your test and having great taste in cars.... The Rover bug does bite hard!!

Good looking car too!:D

The Rovering Member 17th September 2020 20:33

Four thousand miles with a black box for two &a half grand? :eek:
Blimey, that's onerous. My stepdaughter had a black box & her monthly payments were all over the place with extra charges for driving at night & gawd knows what else. A real rip-off. She was well rid of that policy.

Anyway, nice car & welcome along.

Alex D 17th September 2020 22:02

Car insurance prices are ridiculous for young people. As with most things it's the minority who are idiots on the road and crash all the time who ruin it for us sensible people. I go to college 1 day a week (apprentice HGV Mechanic) and a large number of those in my class have already written a car (or several) off.

It was probably a bit silly to spend so much on insurance but i would rather spend more and have a proper car instead of a corsa or similar rubbish.

Arctic 17th September 2020 22:37

Hi Alex.
Nice to see younger owners coming into the fold, give it a good service replacing the PCV filter which does get over looked.

Check those plenums ;) link below. ;)

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=125864

get the manifold off and cleaned out, along with the EGR, and wipe the MAP clean all these jobs will see the car running good for you.

coolguy 17th September 2020 23:30

Alex,
I thought it was only Minis in the classic car movement that attracted youngsters. You are very welcome to our world. When I passed my test (in an Austin A99 Westminster 3 litre), my mates thought I was mad to buy a 3.3 litre Vauxhall Cresta as my first car. It lasted me 7 years before it rusted away, but I loved it, and have never owned a small car - most have been 6 or 8 cylinders.

Welcome and ENJOY.

Alex D 18th September 2020 11:41

Thanks for the advice Arctic. I already know about the plenums. I had a quick look down there the other day and thankfully it was dry. Didn’t poke anything down the holes though

BRG75 18th September 2020 12:24

Like many others have already said, welcome to the world of Rovers.

As an apprentice HGV Mechanic, you will benefit tremendously from the advice and knowledge that is wrapped up in this Forum / Club.

I would guess that your tutors appreciate your choice of car, but I'm intrigued to know what your young friends think of it??

Regards

Mike

Adam2003 18th September 2020 14:46

Just saying hi

Welcome to the 17 year old owners club. 😂
I bought mine in July after admiring them for years and also coming from a Rover family, so I’m adding to the collection. Are you going to daily yours? Mines a bit of a project then I’m gonna have it as a second car, so I probably won’t drive it for a couple of years at least.

If you ever need any help with anything feel free to msg me on insta @adamlairdsmith (my inbox gets full on here). Hopefully we can help each other out with us both being new.

Alex D 18th September 2020 16:19

Thanks Mike. My friends from school don't really have much of an opinion on it as most of them aren't interested in cars, although they were surprised when I told them I want a Rover because it's an 'old man's car'. My friends at college quite like it but I get the usual flat cap, golf clubs etc stereotype.

Yes it's my daily driver Adam. It's nice to know i'm not the only young person who likes Rovers! have you got any photos of your 75? Also you said the 75 will be a second car. what's your daily?

Slaya 18th September 2020 18:35

Welcome to Rover ownership Alex - they are great cars.

When my son was 17 he got insurance quotes on a 75 and they were nearly £4000.

Now he's 19 the 75 quotes are £1800 and a V6 ZT 160 at £1500 (last year was nearly £5000...)

My son is also a trainee mechanic, for the local council, working on the heavy vehicles.

All the best and happy Rovering.