The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   When does a £65 tyre cost £103 ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310130)

trebor 26th December 2020 22:17

When does a £65 tyre cost £103 ?

Not had much luck of late with the 75, new clutch with DMF, Oil Cooler, Crank Pulley and now a puncture on Christmas Eve when one of the undertray bolts dropped out and went straight into the nearside rear tyre, I was close to National Tyres in Cannock so took it straight there and was told it would be a 45 minute wait, so sat in car and waited and checked the on line National Tyre price of a like for like Avon S7 which was £65 fully fitted.

I was seen after about an hour and the guy who was looking after me spent more time running back into the office to sort other issues out than checking out my tyre, of course it was not repairable so a new tyre was needed, he then spent the rest of the time holding a mobile phone between his shoulder and ear having a long personal call with one of his mates and when he came to put the tyre back on I had to remind him that he hadn't balanced it, good job I watched him while he was " working " rather than sit in the waiting area as he had suggested.

Anyway tyre fitted and into the office to pay, "ok that will be £103", so I reminded him of the on line price and he said it "couldn't be sold for that much unless ordered on line" to which I replied " could have ordered it online during the hour I had spent waiting to be seen" and he said " You could have but it wouldn't have been fitted today as you have to book a slot" , to which I replied "well you had available slots as you have just fitted me a new tyre without any appointment"

He said it happens all the time with the online and just turn up prices and nothing he could do and I said its the same tyre sold by the same company so why should there be any difference at all.

Anyway after more heated debate I asked for a discount and I settled on £83 which was still more than the online £65 but £20 less than the £103 asking price and a 20% discount. I checked the undertray when I got home and both rear bolts were missing and it is currently held up with extra strong tie grips as a temporary measure until I can sort it properly

Arctic 26th December 2020 22:32

Jobs Worth

Hi Rob.
I just can not work out these companies do they not know that word travels fast, and therefore they get a bad reputation, i remember recently you telling me about another place you and Steve went into and was told they could not serve you unless bought on line.

I had similar situation at Toolstation when i arrived before my time i could see the items on the shelf behind the person but because it had not yet been put on the system i could not have them, now remember i have paid for the said items already.

Anyways cut a long story short i went back a very short time later another person served me, he said hols i will go get them i pointed out they are behind you, he said what they doing there, i explained and was told she could have given them to you then ?

trikey 26th December 2020 22:42

Grrrr I cant be doing with all that bull5hit, book a slot... discount for online...

What ever happened to a fair price when turned up at the fitting centre???

sworks 27th December 2020 07:05

I’ve heard of other tyre outlets not balancing rear tyres, not forgetting, they just don’t think it’s needed

SD1too 27th December 2020 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 2856148)
I was close to National Tyres in Cannock so took it straight there ....

Next time Rob avoid the national chains and find an independent, preferably family owned business. I've been using one for decades. He has what I need in stock, his prices are competitive and I rarely have to wait because everyone else is queuing at National, ATS or Kwik Fit! :}

Simon

kelvo 27th December 2020 08:51

I usually shop around on line for tyres, use someone like black circles and see where the best deals are and get them fitted at a local tyre place. Most of the chains have special offers on line, Black Friday, Bank Holidays promo codes etc which makes it worth while.

last set I bought on line on offer were for the Volvo (mid range Hankook), I'd booked a slot for the following week as it during the first lockdown. I got a call a couple of days later to say the tyres I'd ordered they couldn't get but offered me a higher spec set so I thought that was quite good. My local Formula1 garage I have always been pleased with, they sorted the tracking on the Volvo as well which was a mile out.

If it's just a puncture, there is a garage 5 minutes walk up the road so I'll just drop the wheel in there and pick up later.

MissMoppet 27th December 2020 09:16

EuroCarParts are the same. While I do use them it's pointless dropping in as it's always much dearer than if I do it outside in the car before I venture in. Mad.

bikerdude666 27th December 2020 09:34

Rightly or wrongly, its like supply and demand, you've got the time to wait a few days for an appointment and book online, then they'll do it cheaper. Then they can keep slots open for people who come in off the street, in need and charge more for the convenience of having it done there and then.

Same as breakdown cover. If you've not got any cover, and then breakdown and phone the AA or RAC etc they'll charge a premium for recovery.

Thankfully my local National tyres is fairly decent, as with most chains they over tighten wheels bolts, but its a given now that I undo and correctly torque them when I get home. But they're always efficient, and having spent a lot of time searching prices locally each time I needed tyres, they were always the best priced. Especially with the discount code for avon tyres and half price front tracking.

AndyN01 27th December 2020 09:43

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. :icon_cry:.

Like others I have no idea what all this "you have to book it online to get the price" drivel is all about.

I've found a local, mobile, tyre guy who now looks after our cars. Great guy and openly says he's a tyre geek which is dead easy to see once he starts chatting. Guess what, I don't bother hunting around - just ring him up and get it sorted.

For me, great service with a "decent/reasonable" price gets my business.

Here's looking forward to a normal 2021.

Take care and have fun.

marinabrian 27th December 2020 10:01

I fit and balance my own tyres, saves the hassle, and my spare is a full size matching wheel, meaning you won't be held to ransom by having to walk in off the street to have a tyre replaced at short notice.

You don't have the problem of fitters using rattle guns on wheel bolts, gouging wheels, or slapping black goop on the beads, or sucking air through their teeth saying "Can't fix that mate"

Anyway looking at things from a different perspective to those who berate all big chains, Kwikfit offer free puncture repairs to NHS staff :xmas-smiley-008:

Brian :D