The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Improving SOUNDPROOFING (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=232627)

Jakg 12th December 2015 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawrence (Post 2167519)
I have been in 3 cars of various late models recently with distinctly noisy wheel bearings, and sat there thinking of the drivers, "cant you hear that racket?" But they were oblivious to it, so again as you say sound is in the ear of the beholder. Agreed.

It's more likely the tyres were the problem, rather than a wheel bearing.

Duotone 12th December 2015 09:45

The OP has a 2005 built 75 and would therefore will be fitted with a thinner cheaper carpet.

The biggest improvement you can make to a later model 75 or ZT is to fit a carpet from a early Cowley built 75.

The Cowley 75's were fitted with a much thicker carpet and the foam bonded to the carpet was thicker in places.

Dave T

arnosvale65 12th December 2015 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by awvc1 (Post 2167114)
i have a CDT and I did a whole load of soundproofing for the stereo install. AS this is about as noisy an engine derivative as you can get, my successes may be of interest to you.

Just by using dynamat or eqivalent on the inner face of the outer door skin, the amount of cabin noise was reduced unbelievably, without needing sound proofing materials to deal with the outside noise - it seems the resonance in the panels once deadened is a real contributor. Whether you care about your stereo or not, the dynamat type stuff (I used Silent Coat 4mm) is fantastic and left my noisy Post Project Drive CDT quieter than my wife's Pre Project Drive V6. its like driving the submarine out of Red October.....

Look in the ice for my 'mdf rings' thread if you are interested in pics and tips on how i did that - remember, its not relevant in your case to the stereo, you get a win on general soundproofing with this .

Hope this helps

I am pleased to see someone else posting who thinks the CDT's are noisy. I was out walking my dog the other day and a car came up behind me making a fair old noise. When it went past and stopped I saw why. It was a BMW 320d. Now I have driven one of those and from the inside it was as quiet as my 523i, (well nearly!). So it must be a question of soundproofing with ours.

Edward Huggins 12th December 2015 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 2167671)
The OP has a 2005 built 75 and would therefore will be fitted with a thinner cheaper carpet.

The biggest improvement you can make to a later model 75 or ZT is to fit a carpet from a early Cowley built 75.

The Cowley 75's were fitted with a much thicker carpet and the foam bonded to the carpet was thicker in places.

Dave T

Many thanks for all the messages and ideas sent in this thread! Yes, I had overlooked the carpet. The carpet in mine is really a very nasty, thinnish, synthetic and nowhere near has the feel of, and quality, that was on my year 2000 V6. Perhaps in time I will grow accustomed to the harshness of the CDTi - but how I miss the cossetting luxury of the Cowley car.....ED

James.uk 12th December 2015 15:00

The door mirrors were noisy on my car, so I swapped the skull cap type for some bullets, they can still be heard, but only if you listen for them...

My friends recording studio has egg crates stuck on one wall to deaden sound reflection. ? :Snow:

ADO13 30th November 2020 09:39

Sound proofing

I have a 2004 diesel Connoisseur, 'Elgar'. It has 'fork' alloy wheels and Pirelli tyres. The engine is quite well muted, but could be quieter. The wind noise is quite noticeable. The worst noise is the noise of the tyres over most surfaces. The car also has various rattles and buzzzes from places such as doors and somewhere around the dash. There is also a whining sound which comes from the engine and is most noticeable at low speeds. I have no idea what this whining sound is, but it makes the car sound 'cheap'. The driver's door has a cheap-sounding hollow sound when it is closed. I would like to get some sound deadening for that door at least. However, despite all this, I get a lot of pleasure from owning and driving a Rover.

David Lawrence 30th November 2020 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADO13 (Post 2851243)
I have a 2004 diesel Connoisseur, 'Elgar'. It has 'fork' alloy wheels and Pirelli tyres. The engine is quite well muted, but could be quieter. The wind noise is quite noticeable. The worst noise is the noise of the tyres over most surfaces. The car also has various rattles and buzzzes from places such as doors and somewhere around the dash. There is also a whining sound which comes from the engine and is most noticeable at low speeds. I have no idea what this whining sound is, but it makes the car sound 'cheap'. The driver's door has a cheap-sounding hollow sound when it is closed. I would like to get some sound deadening for that door at least. However, despite all this, I get a lot of pleasure from owning and driving a Rover.

If you have forked alloys I guess they are the larger diameter ones. When i first got my blue auto it had Meteors with some kind of low profile tyres and i thought I had 4 flat tyres at times. I switched to 15” crowns as soon as I could in order to restore the silent running mode.

Alf Best 30th November 2020 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADO13 (Post 2851243)

The whining noise comes from the HP fuel pump causing a resonating sound along the rigid stainless steel fuel pipe.

I wonder if the car could need a 4 wheel alignment carried out??, also has there been any work undertaken on the drivers side door, this could be a cause of the rattles and clunk sounds perhaps :shrug:

Richard1973 30th November 2020 17:27

My front passenger door handle is slightly loose and makes the door sound 'tinny' when it is shut. I have read about door handle removal and put it in the 'nope' category. Mike be worth seeing if it the cause of your door sounding cheap. That or the striker needing adjustment maybe.

Saga Lout 30th November 2020 17:33

Madness but...

I've spent £75 on sound deadening pads over the last few weeks, I want my ZT as quiet as my 75 is. I've done the whole bulkhead and redone the floors and I've coated the tunnel from front to back. It's very quiet now in the cabin with the V6 running, the scuttle isn't yet fitted and I've not put the pads under the bonnet as yet, I'm putting some pads on the underside of the bonnet and a double felt pad like the 75 has. It's overkill but who cares? I have a very quiet ZT and It will make people think when they don't hear it!