The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Automatic-manual (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289636)

mixtuurorgel 29th October 2018 15:08

Automatic-manual

After 8 Rovers it is time for a "new" Rover and now for the first time a Rover with the automatic gearbox .
A good or bad choice ??
It must be a Diesel.....

clf 29th October 2018 15:16

Neither, it's a great choice ;)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Nick Greg 29th October 2018 15:19

Best way to drive on todays crowded roads. Never understood the attraction of manual boxes but of course that's just my opinion.

LotusLC 29th October 2018 15:28

Automatic everytime for me. So much nicer when stuck in traffic , which is most of the time

smudge.g 29th October 2018 15:29

Best car i ever had- my Diesel Tourer with 2.0 engine, auto box and cruise control - wafting to work doesnt get any better!!

steve-45 29th October 2018 17:08

Autos are great, only downsides are higher road tax and a few less MPG

Groundhog 29th October 2018 17:12

Never had any regrets buying my auto.

Just sit back and point it ;)

macafee2 29th October 2018 17:27

Although I'm not a fan of autos I see the attraction in stop start driving.
A good Rover 75 auto is a good car.
If you are asking if a Rover 75 auto is a reliable car with a decent gear box, others will have to answer.

macafee2

andymc 29th October 2018 18:00

I've had both. I had never been keen on autos previously, but decided last year to give it a go with a tourer in Classic trim. The smoothness of the gear-change won me over - on any prior (admittedly limited) occasions I'd tried an auto, the gear change was always a bit jerky and created a sense of not quite being in full control of the car. The autobox in the 75 was definitely superior in that regard.

One of the plus points for me was that from time to time, I enjoyed planting my foot and feeling it surge on up to the national speed limit (ahem) without any other input from me. In addition, it was definitely an easier drive in congested conditions, so if that reflects your driving environment then it's definitely worth considering. However, most of the time I don't have to endure such conditions so the difference wasn't that significant for me.

What was more significant was that it was difficult to get 500 miles out of a tank of diesel - 480 or even 450 was more normal (this was a tourer, so probably slightly worse in that regard than a saloon). Considering that I usually get more than 600 from a tank in a manual saloon, and that the annual road tax was £100 more, the driving experience wasn't worth the extra ownership costs, so when I was facing a large enough bill to keep it on the road (nothing impossible, just too many things at once) I decided it was better to pass it on to someone who could do that work themselves and keep the car on the road while I turned my attention to another 75. Perhaps I might have found those costs easier to justify had it been a top-spec example ...;)

AndyN01 29th October 2018 18:12

I'm going to buck the trend here and say manual for me.

I had a diesel auto MG ZTT for just a few weeks and sold it.

Couldn't get on with the car choosing what gear it wanted to be in as it wasn't the one I wanted to be in.

Oh, and SWMBO detested it.

If at all possible I suggest you "borrow" one for a decent length of time to make a properly informed decision about what YOU like.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Andy.