The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   RAC man suspects fuel rail sensor…. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315785)

PMAN01 12th October 2021 19:32

RAC man suspects fuel rail sensor….

Thought I had cam sensor issue. Non start when warm. Eventually starts after cranking 6-8 times. Visited Lancaster and got back to car. No start at all! Changed old for new sensor, still no joy! Damn. Called RAC and he (after checking fuel wasn’t the issue (UBP fine, fuel getting to it etc) he sprayed Easy Start into air intake and it starts! He thinks it’s the fuel rail sensor. I tend to agree. Where can I get one please folks? Car may or may not start in the morning for work so will need quick postage from somewhere! :D

trikey 12th October 2021 19:49

I would suspect low fuel pressure to be the cause rather than the sensor itself.

grivas 12th October 2021 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by exforces (Post 2903390)
Thought I had cam sensor issue. Non start when warm. Eventually starts after cranking 6-8 times. Visited Lancaster and got back to car. No start at all! Changed old for new sensor, still no joy! Damn. Called RAC and he (after checking fuel wasn’t the issue (UBP fine, fuel getting to it etc) he sprayed Easy Start into air intake and it starts! He thinks it’s the fuel rail sensor. I tend to agree. Where can I get one please folks? Car may or may not start in the morning for work so will need quick postage from somewhere! :D

Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump, There is a kit from www.darwendiesels.com CMR 1700-9 for Bosch CR-1 pump.

Do a search herein.

PMAN01 12th October 2021 20:18

[QUOTE=grivas;2903397]Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump.

RAC did mention low fuel pressure hence his nod to the sensor.
Lee T replaced this not that long ago, in May. He said it’s a Regulator kit for HPFP. Some sort of seal kit.

Can I unplug it like the MAF?

Arctic 12th October 2021 20:44

Hi Richard.
As anyone done a leak back test on your car yet, if not get one done, also even though you the RAC says the UBFP is ok if you have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel it can struggle.

If you suspect the fuel rail sensor ? then drop mickyboy a PM and see if he can send you a good used one out asap, be best if you could get it on T4.

I presume this is the O-rings that Lee fitted to the regulator.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334135381254

I doubt he did a full refurb on the HPFP.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203408799927

PMAN01 12th October 2021 20:48

Hi there Arctic!

Lee T did that in May. I don’t suspect any injector issue. Replaced 2. The others were - one was guite good and one was good.
Also the RAC man connected up to the plug by the drivers knee area (forgotten what it’s called!) and no errors except for ‘Can’ which he couldn’t clear??

polinsteve 13th October 2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2903397)
Highly unlikely to be the sensor itself. I would suspect the HP regulator solenoid seal on the fuel high pressure pump, There is a kit from www.darwendiesels.com CMR 1700-9 for Bosch CR-1 pump.

Do a search herein.

I agree, although changing the seal on mine didn't work. I got a new solenoid of Ebay for about £45.00 which lasted until 4 lads drove into the car and wrote it off.

PMAN01 14th October 2021 20:27

I do find myself in an unsustainable situation. The car is our only car and is required daily. Problems are occurring relatively frequently and so I have to get help to diagnose the problem, when that’s done find the part, wait for the part, wait for the garage to fit me in, schedule the garage appointment into our busy lives and do without a car for the time it is in the garage. Every breakdown is few days of headache and it’s getting worse as the car gets older. If I lived with a mechanic and had access to another car, all would be well.

slovcan 15th October 2021 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by exforces (Post 2903677)
I do find myself in an unsustainable situation. The car is our only car and is required daily. Problems are occurring relatively frequently and so I have to get help to diagnose the problem, when that’s done find the part, wait for the part, wait for the garage to fit me in, schedule the garage appointment into our busy lives and do without a car for the time it is in the garage. Every breakdown is few days of headache and it’s getting worse as the car gets older. If I lived with a mechanic and had access to another car, all would be well.

That's a tough position to be in. Mind you, it's a good reason to get a motorcycle - you know, for emergency use :D .

Seriously, the time has come to get your car to the closest member here to you with a T4 or TOAF to properly read the codes. Someone who actually KNOWS these cars as opposed to someone or someplace who don't see more than 2 or 3 of them a year (figuratively speaking). The other OBD2 scanners may work somewhat, but really aren't compatible. Let whoever that is troubleshoot whether it is the solenoid, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator or HPFP. Then let them get a good used replacement from Mickeyboy, install it and continue on happy motoring.

Cheers,
Glenn

PMAN01 17th October 2021 20:24

I’m getting it looked at Wed (when at work at least the car is available to be looked at) and go from there. When diagnosed I’ll have to get a part, no doubt, and then wait for it in the post then book it in for replacing. Time to dust down that draft advert for the car I did a while back when another episode got me pulling my hair (what I have isn’t much anyway :D) and see what interest there is out there for it. Time to bow out as, I’ve noticed, others in a similar position to ours have done. Watch this space….