The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Check Plenums ! **NEW MEMBERS TAKE NOTE** (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=155960)

pab 14th September 2013 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 1417443)
Wow, it appears I've been honored by getting my thread stickied! :D

Well it's an important issue with our cars, especially this time of year. :)

Stevie-Blunder 14th September 2013 21:09

Had mine done today at the NANO meet :-) What a great bunch of lads.

fusilier50 19th September 2013 11:56

i checked and dug out the plenums before the rains started but neglected to check my sunroof drains. flooded out the passenger side before i got to them. Really advise if you have a sunroof check your drains before its too late. The culprit in my case was the one under the glove box. It hadnt been cleaned out since new. I cant get over the fact they used tape to make the seal waterproof instead of doing the job properly:shrug:

trebor 19th September 2013 18:41

Spyhole mods are free at Nano meets as Steve of the Arctic makes up a number of covers with the holes pre drilled and you just swop yours for one of them, or it can be done for you if you are not sure how to do it

fusilier50 20th September 2013 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor (Post 1423006)
Spyhole mods are free at Nano meets as Steve of the Arctic makes up a number of covers with the holes pre drilled and you just swop yours for one of them, or it can be done for you if you are not sure how to do it

just waiting on a Nano meet in the NW. I suspect my car needs a bit of tweaking

fasteye 24th September 2013 10:13

Haven't checked mine since I bought the car in August.
Planning to this weekend now I have a new pollen filter to fit. Thanks for the great pics and tips on here, I finally understand what I need to do :}

Fredules 25th September 2013 10:18

PLenum is bone dry - help?? D:

I read through the guide and it was a great help, as it turns out the car I bought (2003 2.0L ZT) already has the spy hole method installed. I flashed a torch in and the plenum is dry as a bone.

But I'm still getting electrical faults;

the lights on my dash aren't lighting up when I activate the indicators/headlights etc.

The alarm doesn't sound when I open the driver side door and the lights are still on.

The lights don't flash when I lock/unlock the car using the remote on the key.

I'm not sure what else to do..

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Please & Thanks

Avulon 25th September 2013 12:23

Water in the Plenum is just one possible fault when you have electrical problems, it is quite common, but easy to avoid (hence this thread). There are other reasons for problems, but in order to diagnose then it's best to start a new thread in the Technical Help sub-forum and take it from there.

As a start off, Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes? If you haven't, make sure that you have your radio code if required and that the satnav (if fitted) is shutdown correctly. Sometimes a battery reset can fix electrical problems like this. If that doesn't work then start the new thread in Technical Help and you'll be sorted in no time (well at least close to identifying the cause).

Paulym 7th October 2013 17:16

:}Hi all

New member and already got some good stuff. Yes I cleaned out my plenums at the weekend and of course you would be right although dry in there completely blocked with shonet. Pushed a long drill bit through it and pile of muck on the road.

Thanks to you all for the guidance

Ken Lion 21st October 2013 13:58

Did mine over the weekend - had the car since July but never even heard of a plenum* until seeing it on here while looking for advice on a battery non-start.
It was about 3" deep in what seemed clean water - took about 10mins to drain.
Talking to the previous owner (who is a friend and had it from new), he'd never heard of the problem either - which I guess makes him and me very lucky.
I've also done the spyhole mod - the video for that is excellent and makes it so much easier.

So thanks to this and related threads.

*Edit:
I looked up 'plenum' in my Concise Oxford Dictionary and it defines it as "space filled with matter".
So I guess that covers it!