The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   High pitch noise when accelerating. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309899)

peelaaa 15th December 2020 22:17

High pitch noise when accelerating.

Hi.
There is a strange noise that tends to be most noticeable when engine is cold. Like a high pitch noise.
It happens when accelerating, even just a slight push on pedal can make it happen. Easing off pedal and it goes away. But it doesn't always happen either.
Seems to be less noticeable when engine warmed through.
Clutch is engaging normally.

What would you think it is?

Mike Noc 15th December 2020 22:34

Which engine do you have?

bl52krz 15th December 2020 22:36

Auxilary belt slipping. Might need replacing. Power steering pump pulley. Or if you keep the aircon on all the while, might be the belt on that.

planenut 16th December 2020 06:20

Well, as Mike has asked, what engine is it? Each will have their own opinion, mine is that it could be a vacuum pipe off or leaking.

Is the acceleration affected and how is the idle tickover. If those are okay then it goes back to bl52krz's suggestion of a belt slipping.

It will be worth you getting your head under the bonnet while the engine is running, and operate the throttle.

SD1too 16th December 2020 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2854238)
Which engine do you have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2854244)
Well, as Mike has asked, what engine is it?

It's a diesel (click on peelaaa's user name then select View public profile).

Ian; please could you annotate the displayed "75 saloon" to include your engine type so that members can give help more quickly. Many thanks. :D

Simon

T-Cut 16th December 2020 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by peelaaa (Post 2854234)
What would you think it is?

Erm, my guess is a leak in the exhaust pipe front end flexi coupling.

TC

Mike Noc 16th December 2020 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2854247)
It's a diesel (click on peelaaa's user name then select View public profile).

Simon I know how the forum works, but far better for an OP to post all the relevant info than everyone else having to look up his profile. ;)

And to be specific relevant info is model, engine type, gearbox type, and year of manufacture. Simples!

peelaaa 18th December 2020 17:21

Sorry.been away. Cdti 2004 contemporary

Pruts3r 19th December 2020 13:43

Is your wife sitting next to you every time this happens and is she scared of speed? If so then that's where I'd be looking for that high pitched noise ;p

kaiser 19th December 2020 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2854244)
Well, as Mike has asked, what engine is it? Each will have their own opinion, mine is that it could be a vacuum pipe off or leaking.

Is the acceleration affected and how is the idle tickover. If those are okay then it goes back to bl52krz's suggestion of a belt slipping.

It will be worth you getting your head under the bonnet while the engine is running, and operate the throttle.

Vacuum is highest with a closed throttle. That is the exact opposite of acceleration. Unlikely to be that! in my view.
I would rather guess alternator!