The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Dead battery ..maybe (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300869)

ceedy 16th November 2019 12:20

Dead battery ..maybe

After my Successful jaunt to the Netherlands and back , not used the old bus much just a few run outs .

Found the battery a bit low last week so stuck it on Charge.

Left on my smart charger for about 5 days, all reported as fully charged.

Out to the car .. and Click click ... so back in doors and battery shown as pretty low again, now after about 6 hours on my halfords charger all showing all ok again , out to the car and Click .. :mad:

An 18 month old Yuasa 3000 , same as on my CDTi which is still going strong ..:duh:

clf 16th November 2019 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2776153)
After my Successful jaunt to the Netherlands and back , not used the old bus much just a few run outs .

Found the battery a bit low last week so stuck it on Charge.

Left on my smart charger for about 5 days, all reported as fully charged.

Out to the car .. and Click click ... so back in doors and battery shown as pretty low again, now after about 6 hours on my halfords charger all showing all ok again , out to the car and Click .. :mad:

An 18 month old Yuasa 3000 , same as on my CDTi which is still going strong ..:duh:

One click I have found was the battery (normally - but not always with flashing headlights). Click click was the starter solenoid.

When it first happened, it would be intermittent and then would eventually start.

Try it with a jump start, and if it still clicks that would confirm, at least it wasnt the battery, and almost certainly the starter. It could also be the starter cables. Disconnect the battery and loosen, clean and retighten.

ceedy 16th November 2019 12:48

Done all that ...

inc Swapping it with the CDTi Battery after running them both in parallel with jump leads, then disconnecting the CDTi and leaving the suspect one being charged. left charging for around 15 mins , and Not even a click , yet the voltage remains a stable 13-13.5 volts even off charge. :shrug:.

C

clf 16th November 2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2776160)
Done all that ...

inc Swapping it with the CDTi Battery after running them both in parallel with jump leads, then disconnecting the CDTi and leaving the suspect one being charged. left for around 15 mins , and Not even a click , yet the voltage remains a stable 13-13.5 volts .. :duh:

C

Repair kit

ceedy 16th November 2019 12:53

Its the V8 :D. so a different starter ;)

Anyway nowt wrong with either starter motor :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2776161)

clf 16th November 2019 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2776163)
Its the V8 :D. so a different starter ;)

Anyway nowt wrong with either starter motor :D

ah I didnt notice the V8 forum. The fact there is a click, i would still suggest the starter being at fault somehow, at least initially. Are all cables secure and clean making contact? Tap the starter motor like the good old days lol. (sticking from lack of use). Did you try jumping from the CDTi whilst it was running?

ceedy 16th November 2019 13:41

Got a full set now .. the 1.8t which has sat for a week also a flat battery :duh::D

But the lil Zr which also had a new batt last week has come to the rescue with jump leads and both the 1.8 and the V8 both fired up instantly .

So V8 starter is all ok .

Run both for a while and the 1.8 restarts ok and the V8 barely goes click :duh:.

its def the battery ! ..;)

SD1too 16th November 2019 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2776175)
Got a full set now .. the 1.8t which has sat for a week also a flat battery

It's time to invest in a couple of smart maintenance chargers Chris.

Did you say that the battery voltage when connected to your V8 is 13.0 - 13.5 volts when the ignition key is turned to 'start'?

Simon

marinabrian 16th November 2019 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2776193)
It's time to invest in a couple of smart maintenance chargers Chris.

Did you say that the battery voltage when connected to your V8 is 13.0 - 13.5 volts when the ignition key is turned to 'start'?

Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceedy
Left on my smart charger for about 5 days, all reported as fully charged

It would appear that Chris has already done so ;)

A drop test will weed out a tired battery, however as the battery is only 18 months old, I wold suggest it would be prudent to get it changed under warranty, as it would appear to be only holding a surface charge.

Brian :D

ceedy 16th November 2019 19:45

Batts been on a smart charger a Standard old style charger and paralleled on the Dizzle ,and Jumped started on the 260 , run for a reasonable time which should put a bit back ..... but still just a Click if i'm lucky :D

Going to get it tested at the Suppliers next week, Bri, fairly sure the Batt has a 3 year warranty ?

---------------

Quote]

A drop test will weed out a tired battery, however as the battery is only 18 months old, I wold suggest it would be prudent to get it changed under warranty, as it would appear to be only holding a surface charge.

Brian :D