The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Strange question - about vans! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=155498)

lovema75 13th August 2013 17:53

Strange question - about vans!

This is probably in totally the wrong forum, but I couldnt think where to put it - MODS please move as needed!:bowdown:

I would like to fulfil a long held ambition and get hold of an old van, and make a basic camper out of it. Nothing fancy, there is only me so fancy luxury not required.

My question is, what kind of van can you get for rock bottom prices these days? I grew up with Leyland Sherpa's (loved them) but you dont see many of them around! A bit of shabby is fine, smoking ruin isnt...

Also, how would it work insurance wise? I've seen it done so it must be possible.

Any suggestions from you knowledgeable lot appreciated!:bowdown::bowdown:

stemorty 13th August 2013 18:12

just adding to what you hoping to do..i would love an old austin ju van to do similar if had space to do it, or an old commer or similar.good luck with it if manage it

Brett74 13th August 2013 18:20

I think we have some ldv convoy minibus/private ambo's for sale

neilb740 13th August 2013 18:35

The closest to a Sherpa would be the LDV Pilot, It even looks like a Sherpa. they are dirt cheap now, you cant give them away down south because most of them dont meet the requirements for the London low emisison zone thingy.

The LDV Convoy is a better van though and much bigger. I think the convoy is the one that has the same engine as the Ford Transit.

Col G 13th August 2013 18:35

I would use a vw t4 panel van and convert it to a camper, there not cheap granted but if you do a good enough job and it'll be worth a lot more!
If thats too much cash then I'd go for a lwb ldv

HarryM1BYT 13th August 2013 18:47

..and buy a scrap caravan, just for the interior bits - fridge, cooker, hob, heating system, beds, charger, toilet and shower, plus maybe reuse the windows. Plenty of cheapies suffering from damp, or accident damaged. Much cheaper than buying the parts separately.

Saga Lout 13th August 2013 18:48

Merc Sprinter

I'd go with the Merc Sprinter, long wheelbase high roof. I helped evaluate them in the 90's and they are the dogs..Some insulation and a light boarding and you'll have a great one..Don't forget the Portabog....The ideal place to float your log...

SKS Disco 13th August 2013 19:30

Old Transit and drop a V6 in it. Or a Bedford CF and do the same. 3.0 V6 out of a Capri fits just fine. Had a CF with the V6 conversion ( did it myself) but left the exterior bog standard grotty. The look on peoples face when you just lose them is a picture !
Think the V8 from an SD1 fits as well with a few mods to the tunnel.

lovema75 13th August 2013 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPart02 (Post 1388100)
Old Transit and drop a V6 in it. Or a Bedford CF and do the same. 3.0 V6 out of a Capri fits just fine. Had a CF with the V6 conversion ( did it myself) but left the exterior bog standard grotty. The look on peoples face when you just lose them is a picture !
Think the V8 from an SD1 fits as well with a few mods to the tunnel.

Er....yeah.

Sounds great fun but not quite sure its what I'm looking for...:)

SKS Disco 13th August 2013 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovema75 (Post 1388105)
Er....yeah.

Sounds great fun but not quite sure its what I'm looking for...:)

Just joking really.
VW vans make good basic campers. Mate at work has done one.
Still not as much fun as V6 powered CF ! :getmecoat: