The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Woke up and found a snapped coilspring (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=267080)

berkshirelad 12th May 2017 08:59

We also didn't have speed humps then...devil's own invention

Master 12th May 2017 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2490363)
I had the pleasure of waking up and finding a broken coilspring today on the ZT today, what a nice start to the day :mad: that messed my whole day up, having to drive upto the garage in another car, then remove another spring off another ZT then repair mine at the roadside
Not a good day !!!!
And after that I need a beer

That happened to me a couple of years ago...Fortunately it didnt damage my 1 day old tyres

DMGRS 12th May 2017 17:51

It seems to mostly affect 75s and Mk2 ZTs (with the softer suspension) - 99% of the cars I hear about this happening to are one of the two.

The springs are of a very narrow gauge, so only takes a small amount of corrosion to take them past the point of snapping.

madeupname 12th May 2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by berkshirelad (Post 2491099)
We also didn't have speed humps then...devil's own invention

Am I right in thinking the humps were a European idea, and that they will soon be on their way out? :shrug:
Heard it from mates.

Rooney 12th May 2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeupname (Post 2491338)
Am I right in thinking the humps were a European idea, and that they will soon be on their way out? :shrug:

The suggestion is they increase pollution by forcing cars to slow down and accelerate again so yeah.

They've always struck me as pointless - if you were driving a stolen car would you care enough to slow down because of a speed bump?

bl52krz 13th May 2017 23:18

We have it in our own hands with speed humps. Go over them slower.

RogerHeinz57 14th May 2017 20:57

There seems to be no real timeframe on these items, but be sure of one thing, if the pathetic powder coating has parted company from the item, it's on it's way for sure and only a matter of time will the disaster unfold.
I have replaced countless springs for the local guys to me and getting good at them now. One of mine went on the front just as I moved off, the item was changed in the road on the traffic side without the option to move the car at all ! I would advise anybody who decides to change springs, to take great care, order up some top mount bearings and also fit tyre protectors, yes this will increase the parts costs, but save tyres too !
On the subject of road humps and the materials used for spring manufacture :
I see so many fools driving over the humps with a wheel either side of the ramped section of the hump, this may provide a smoother transition over the hump, but in doing so, it also has an ill-effect on the bottom ball joint and track rod ends as they are getting spread apart from their normal position causing premature wear. The spring material and powder coating are the main cause of the spring problems, when proper parts were fitted to cars years ago, and specs were far more important, we had hardly any broken springs compared to today's situation, powder coating is a rubbish technique for these items in my opinion but it helps those who like seeing shiny glossy items when new, for me a heavy coat of protect-ant and decent paint never went wrong before - So to sum it up, we will never see or own cars again where springs last for donkey's years as we once did.