The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Inflation and recession (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319006)

mbev51 6th May 2022 07:35

Inflation and recession

Hi, brace yourselves for what is coming. My wife and I are very lucky we have means and resources. One third of the population arent as lucky, they have no savings, they need to be supported, how that can be achieved, i dont know. Im trying to read 'road to Wigan Pier', only a few pages each night. The book, which is really a commentry on working class lives pre war, paints an awful picture of the lives of particularly miners. How familles kept going in those difficult times, its just so different to todays lifestyles. Our country is getting poorer, hopefully we will never regress back to those times.

mbev51 6th May 2022 07:51

This was meant for the social forum

Borg Warner 6th May 2022 08:01

Watched Secret Spenders last night, working class folks can spend £750/month on takeaways and £1500/month on clothes apparently.

macafee2 6th May 2022 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbev51 (Post 2930991)
Hi, brace yourselves for what is coming. My wife and I are very lucky we have means and resources. One third of the population arent as lucky, they have no savings, they need to be supported, how that can be achieved, i dont know. Im trying to read 'road to Wigan Pier', only a few pages each night. The book, which is really a commentry on working class lives pre war, paints an awful picture of the lives of particularly miners. How familles kept going in those difficult times, its just so different to todays lifestyles. Our country is getting poorer, hopefully we will never regress back to those times.

Like most if not all things there are two sides to every story.
We have the family that needs support because they fritter their money away.
We have the family that needs support because they are low paid and have nothing left for saving.

The future is looking glum so I suggest spend wisely in case glum it is.

macafee2

torque2me 6th May 2022 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbev51 (Post 2930991)

As BorgWarner and Macafee point to the problem areas we have to remember that the country is far richer than the 30's. However, the population needs are totally different. It is much more consumer/gadget based now. I see people take a taxi after a night out, we used to walk. People have pizza etc delivered, we collected or cooked fresh. We nearly have a car for each person now not one in ten or twenty (or whatever).

There is, on the whole, not a lack of money it is the spread that is at fault and how our perception is of jobs. Many vital jobs are looked down at and thus are poorly rewarded i.e. a newsreader on £40k + and a farm worker on £20k. We need food to exist but we could get by without news.

Kev

bl52krz 6th May 2022 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2931003)
Like most if not all things there are two sides to every story.
We have the family that needs support because they fritter their money away.
We have the family that needs support because they are low paid and have nothing left for saving.

The future is looking glum so I suggest spend wisely in case glum it is.

macafee2

If you wish to fritter your money away, then I don’t see why I And you should give them any more to pay what they should have paid to start with. As Queen Victoria said ‘Let them eat cake. 🥶🤥🥴

Martin Butler 6th May 2022 21:32

Expectations are a lot different also, When i was a kid we were a family of 6, 4 kids and 2 parents, money was tight, but my parents were of the war generation, clothes got mended, and if an elder son grew out of something, one of the younger children got it, hand me downs, we grew our own veg, and fruit, we foraged hedgerows for black berries, went fruit picking , mum was never a good cook, but she always seemed to be able to put something on the table, us kids, 3 boys and 1 girl all learnt to cook, to wash our clothes, and were quite independent, once we were all working, we paid our own way, we paid rent, and if we wanted something, we got it our selves, we saved up,

xsport 6th May 2022 22:21

most are buying takeaways, eating in burger bars, drinking from supermaket booze and take roll ups and cannabis regularly. most have cars, oh and all have sky sports channel. ... :D

Borg Warner 6th May 2022 22:30

Those that are in genuine need should get every possible help they can.

Those that can't be bothered really need to be taken to task.

Sadly the former get put into the same pot as the latter, which does no one any good.

Arctic 6th May 2022 23:23

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbev51 (Post 2930993)
This was meant for the social forum

I wonder how long it will take to get moved to the place it should be, any savings you have will soon be taken up, as the interest on it is very poor, and that is what the very wealthy want you to be down in the gutter.

Unsubscribed Arctic :D