The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How far without alternator (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=273036)

neilll 8th September 2017 20:36

How far without alternator

Hi all,
Had a charging fault on my way to work tonight and would like to know how far do you think it is possible to drive with a fully charged battery and non functioning alternator. The journey would be about 10 miles avoiding motorway, no lights,heaters etc. The car is a manual 190 saloon.I know its a bit of a how long is a ball of string question but has anyone tried or experienced it.
Thanks
Neil

Lovel 8th September 2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilll (Post 2538855)
Hi all,
Had a charging fault on my way to work tonight and would like to know how far do you think it is possible to drive with a fully charged battery and non functioning alternator. The journey would be about 10 miles avoiding motorway, no lights,heaters etc. The car is a manual 190 saloon.I know its a bit of a how long is a ball of string question but has anyone tried or experienced it.
Thanks
Neil

I made it about 15 miles without lights on etc on a dieseler once. . I think petrol would be less

Take a spare battery just in case?

sworks 8th September 2017 20:44

A few years ago my wife and daughter were just under 40 miles away from home when the battery light started coming on and off then on constantly. All electrical items were switched off and about 10 miles from home had to drop to sidelights. They made it home although the battery was only abut a week old.

Number 6 8th September 2017 21:21

Earlier this year I drove from Swindon to Stourport on severn when my Alternator failed It was a distance of 70 miles but I had nothing running in the car and it was in the day light.And for the last couple of miles it went into limp mode as the systems started to shut down.

Jim Jamieson 8th September 2017 21:40

When mine packed up on the diesel 75 a few years back we were in Edinburgh.

I switched off everything electrical and managed the trip home. Car even started the next day with no problem but I remember changing that alternator was a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- of a job to do.

bl52krz 8th September 2017 21:50

Travelled from Boscastle to Bude in my Rover SD1 3.5 one night when alternator gave up the ghost. Only used lights for a couple of miles from Boscastle to main road. Rest was done tailing a car back to the outskirts of Bude.

Teflon 8th September 2017 21:52

Driving my wifes mini (petrol) a month or so back and the power steering failed. I didn't realise at the time that the fault was caused by a dead alternator, so I continued my journey (had little choice really) and made a little over 15 miles with radio and climate control going in blissful ignorance. :eek:

Air con switched itself off after (I would guess) around 10 miles, but other than that the car was still running nicely at journeys end until I switched it off. Then it wouldn't re-start - flat battery! :o

Cliff

neilll 8th September 2017 22:25

Thanks for your advice folks, if I can`t see any obvious faults I will give it a go with a spare battery in the boot.
Neil

Tam 8th September 2017 22:31

A few weeks back my charge light came on about 10 miles from Berwick upon Tweed. Made it to Berwick UT and then returned to about 5 miles the North side of the Fourth Road Bridge. Where limp mode kicked in and I had to swap the new battery I had purchased in Berwick upon Tweed.

marinabrian 8th September 2017 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilll (Post 2538855)
Hi all,
Thanks
Neil

I've had a read through this thread, and not one person has suggested that you check fuse number 14 in the passenger compartment fusebox, and as the V6 alternators are fairly robust, I would suggest it may be an idea to do that rather than see how far you get before the car dies ;)

Second row from the left, fifth fuse up 5 Amp ;)

Brian :D