The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Super budget double din install (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295575)

Robson Rover Repair 6th May 2019 12:13

Super budget double din install

New head unit in the rover 75 today. Cheap and chearful but android 8 and does everything I want / need it to do.

Mg7 trim was £20 and head unit was under £60 (might have been £45 as it was in sale via eBay). Mechless so no CD player but GPS, sd reader, USB readers, USB charging, and all the usual features.

Now to get bothered with doing the reversing camera and sensors soon.

If your after one check it out here

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303094925953

And the trim

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273466232877

A small video of it booting so you see its not a slow unit.

https://youtu.be/9ROEajBlMy8

STUBIE 6th May 2019 14:32

That looks great for the money. Is there any DAB option?

Stubs

Robson Rover Repair 7th May 2019 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by STUBIE (Post 2732016)
That looks great for the money. Is there any DAB option?

Stubs

No idea. I'm in a 100gb data contract so I just stream as digital radio is horrific in Northern Ireland.

monty1 7th May 2019 17:29

looks the dogs for the pennies, how is it performing re the sat nav system

Robson Rover Repair 8th May 2019 09:30

Yeah great. I've installed Google maps which updates via my blue tooth teething or if it's near my WiFi.

Also have Navigatior on it as a back up and Igo as the standard app.

All 3 are great and run hassle free. I just have it boot to sat nav and radio when I start each time. Only bad thing was the sat nav GPS receiver was a touch short so it's on the a pillar instead of the roof however signal quality is still around 93% having done a test around country antrim yesterday evening.

32gb class 10 sd card on route now, plan to move all apps to it and keep the main unit as free as possible, also means I can pull it out and update via pc anytime or via my sd reader for my phone also. Very handy when your abroad.

Robti 8th May 2019 18:12

Is the radio rds ?

Dallas 8th May 2019 22:08

Nice install Colin, luv the MG7 fascia. ;)

Some of these models now boot from standby as soon as ignition key is turned on, the power-on button becomes redundant. Basically you cant turn these units off, not unless you turn the ignition key off. Pressing the power button will only put the unit in standby mode, this is so boot-up time is quicker (the unit actually doesn't shutdown).

The only downside is... The unit will turn on every time you start the car whether you want it on or not. :duh:

I bought a similar one for my TF, but eventually returned it due to the lack of user control to turn it on or off. :shrug:

Is this the unit you have Colin, does yours turn on every time you start the car?

Robson Rover Repair 13th May 2019 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robti (Post 2732401)
Is the radio rds ?

Yes it has rds, using auto find, traffic updates, regional options and news / sports etc.

I was surprised at this, and it even updates say nav traffic to the I go also.

Dallas 14th May 2019 07:28

Colin, Can you tell me if the unit powers up automatically when car is started (e.g ignition key is turned)?

Pueblo_Boy 14th May 2019 19:42

Looks very similar to the one I bought recently (see "single or double" thread). Tell me please, did you have to modify the fascia plastic insert at all, or did the unit fit straight in? Mine was slightly too big, and the installer botched it up...so would be interested to know if your fascia is any different...though I suspect all the ones on eBay come from the same Chinese source...

Rogue 14th May 2019 20:28

I'm thinking at the price these are i might just have a punt :)

Robson Rover Repair 18th May 2019 19:03

Hay folks. Sorry for slow reply. I've actually made a you tube video going into details of the unit which I'm uploading which should answer all questions.

Robson Rover Repair 18th May 2019 19:16

https://youtu.be/t7BDuZGQKIo

Here you go folks. Hopefully that covers everything and shows it using everything you want.

Split or Bust 18th May 2019 20:16

Good videoColin, well done looks a decent bit of kit for not a lot of dosh, might consider getting one

Dallas 18th May 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin_NI (Post 2734597)
https://youtu.be/t7BDuZGQKIo

Here you go folks. Hopefully that covers everything and shows it using everything you want.

Thanks for answering the Power on/off question Colin, much appreciated. It appears this is the new way these units boot into android, you get one initial slow boot from cold and from then on the system automatically boots from standby as soon as 12v current feeds the loom. I myself have another two units sitting on my desk that do the same thing, it does annoy me slightly not having full control over when I want to turn the unit on or off.

If I am correct, I think the idea is for a faster boot up time, but it appears the developers have cheated by not allowing the system to shutdown. This means the unit is awake 24/7 for as long as the ignition key is turned on. :shrug:

The capacitive side power button only turns the screen off, it doesn't shutdown the system, if you press it again the screen instantly comes back on. Basically the unit never shuts down not until ignition key cuts the 12v power, I suppose the system has some sort of chip to protect the android O/S. :shrug:

Regarding your internal storage, it does seem strange that you only have 1.94GB left, and have only used 1.24GB. I can see the unit itself was advertised having 16GB of internal storage, 4GB of that will be used by the O/S which then should leave you at least 12GB to play with.

Regarding your 32GB card using portable storage, you don't appear to be getting full use from it, have you formatted and set up the card, hopefully that will be the problem. It may pay to perform a factory data reset and start again, hopefully that will correct the systems available memory etc. ;)

Thanks again for the vid. ;)

Robson Rover Repair 19th May 2019 18:17

Did a factory reset last night on it. All the free space is back and 32gb sd card is sorted. Sadly I lost Igo Primo so I've downloaded the regular Igo but I'm not impressed by it, so will download a copy of Primo and do a fresh install of it.

jpdoc 20th May 2019 07:04

installation questions

Looks very good for the money. A few questions if you don't mind -
I'm looking at this to replace (yet another) defunct mk3 highline on a 1999 2.5 v6 manual Connie with the in glove compartment 6 disc CD unit. I've found the fascia I think I'd need on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT23RO01-...1&isGTR=1#rwid

but I'm concerned about installation. This you tube video looks like the same unit -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAi21kH0oOE

and it makes it look simple, matching colour to colour, but the note on the manual shown on the ebay page for the unit -

"Note: the two power cables must be connected Vehicle Power. If wrong. it will burn out the machine(The Car power supply line,please use multimeter measuring before connection)"

worries me a bit. And I'm a complete novice in terms of car electrics.

So, would you mind detailing (for idiots like me) the wiring and installation a bit? You mentioned getting an aftermarket isoblock adapter and modifying it - I know what an isoblock adapter is (just) but some details as to which one you used, how you modified it, how you wired it etc would be really appreciated.

Also, you mounted the gps ariel behind the A pillar and the microphone at the top of the A pillar. I'm assuming you removed the pillar somehow to do this - any details or hints on how difficult or any issues you hit doing this would also be great.

Finally, as I mentioned above the car has the 6 CD glove compartment unit installed. I can live with losing it as I really only use the GPS and radio, but do you think this will make any of the wiring more difficult?

And again many thanks for the in-depth post and videos - looks like a terrific bit of kit for the money!

Robson Rover Repair 20th May 2019 20:29

Aye he joins it to the car. I just got a standard iso block adapter, chopped of the ends and merged the radio loom to the iso loom and all was good. Means none permanent and fully removable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F180731095273

The a pillar trim just pulls off. And the multichanger wiring is just two leads for power and sound its not in that loom.

KWIL 21st May 2019 11:10

Yes, A pillar trim just pulls off. Be careful, pull across the car right to left. There are three plastic tabs on the cover which locate in clips on the A pillar. The tabs are not that strong, easy does it.

Sjonnie 21st May 2019 16:11

If you are thinking of pulling off the A pillar trim you should be aware of the airbags. Disconnect the battery and let it rest for ten minutes. Then carefully remove the A pillar trim noting the "cables" that keep the A pillar from cracking your head in case the airbag goes off. If you do break the cables go to a garage to get it fixed. Really you don't want to be hit by the trim in case of an accident!

Robson Rover Repair 21st May 2019 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie (Post 2735183)
If you are thinking of pulling off the A pillar trim you should be aware of the airbags. Disconnect the battery and let it rest for ten minutes. Then carefully remove the A pillar trim noting the "cables" that keep the A pillar from cracking your head in case the airbag goes off. If you do break the cables go to a garage to get it fixed. Really you don't want to be hit by the trim in case of an accident!

Not all have a pillar a bags don't forget.

Sjonnie 21st May 2019 17:55

True! But for those who do a warning is warranted wouldn't you say?

@All
If you are not sure you have an airbag, check the print on the A pillar. If it says AIRBAG you probably have an airbag.:D

KWIL 22nd May 2019 14:54

Ordered one of these from same supplier.

Just arrived but it is slightly different. Front panel has Mic and Reset at top left above the power switch as shown on Colin_NI's and no slot at bottom left.

What is the bottom slot?

Robson Rover Repair 22nd May 2019 17:45

On mine it's the front sd card slot. Interested yours is different, any pics?

KWIL 22nd May 2019 17:59

Thats the only apparent difference, not fired it up yet. Came with metal side plates to fix to a "back" mounting, but with a little fettling of the Facia it fits in snugly a little more forward than yours. No pics yet. It came with 2 USB cables. No memory card.

jpdoc 22nd May 2019 18:00

double din unit

Hey, Colin - I'm guessing that the unit looks like the one on the ebay link that you initially posted, maybe? Maybe they changed the pic on the listing for a newer model after you got yours?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303094925953?ul_noapp=true

The one pictured certainly has the mic and reset bits on the top left, as opposed to your unit which in your video has them on the right. And it has no sd card slot on the front, or anywhere else I can see on the manual pages at the bottom of the ebay listing. Which is not the end of the world, I guess, but you'd be limited to the 16gigs of internal memory. Shame, though.

But on the bright side, it's still a lot more storage than the Highline Mk3, even including the CD.

Kwil, good luck with the installation. I'd love to hear how you got on as I'm seriously considering going the same route.

KWIL 22nd May 2019 19:44

Will let you know how I get on.
K

KWIL 23rd May 2019 12:07

Initial test wired and setup (out of car) Functions all appear to be present. Main trouble is strange chinglish manual and wording, horn = speaker for instance:D
Awaiting ISO connector as I want to plug in rather than cut and wire.

jpdoc 23rd May 2019 12:21

is this the iso connector you mean?

You mean one of these guys?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stereo-harn.../dp/B00JEWKUKU

ta muchly

KWIL 23rd May 2019 14:08

jpdoc,

Yes thats the one I was expecting. Colin_NI gave an ebay link, but that one arrived as two separately wired plugs and sockets.

The ISO block fitted is a single BMW 17 round pin type as you show in your link.
Liquidice sell it as CT20BM01 at £3.99:D

I am workiing on a 2002 model

KWIL 25th May 2019 14:21

Oops:mad::mad:
Now I have finally got inside the centre console, having removed the Symphony HU using "cut credit card" removal keys, I find that indeed the first adaptor lead is the correct one!!:o

Rsnail 26th May 2019 08:15

After owning a 1GB RAM Android head unit for almost 2 years I am strongly advicing everybody, DO NOT ever buy a 1GB RAM unit, after couple of months they get sluggish, apps load veeery slowly, youtube for example takes about 2 mins lol... If you want to do a thing, do it properly, buy a 4GB RAM unit and you will never ever have performance problems with it! I have a 4GB RAM unit now for almost a years and runs as fast and as good as new, never had a single issue with it.

Nige B 26th May 2019 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsnail (Post 2736121)
After owning a 1GB RAM Android head unit for almost 2 years I am strongly advicing everybody, DO NOT ever buy a 1GB RAM unit, after couple of months they get sluggish, apps load veeery slowly, youtube for example takes about 2 mins lol... If you want to do a thing, do it properly, buy a 4GB RAM unit and you will never ever have performance problems with it! I have a 4GB RAM unit now for almost a years and runs as fast and as good as new, never had a single issue with it.

any link ? Cheers

KWIL 26th May 2019 10:05

I just seek a simple radio and navigator system, the rest can stay at home (if needed).

Sjonnie 26th May 2019 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsnail (Post 2736121)
After owning a 1GB RAM Android head unit for almost 2 years I am strongly advicing everybody, DO NOT ever buy a 1GB RAM unit, after couple of months they get sluggish, apps load veeery slowly, youtube for example takes about 2 mins lol...

Though 1GB is indeed very little it all depends on your OS and if you are willing to clear the cache or reset the unit. Android 5 or 6 will run pretty decent on a 1GB unit as long as you clear the cache regularly.

That said: if you have to option to buy a 2GB or even 4GB unit that would be well advised.

KWIL 30th May 2019 13:31

Pin out clarification

Colin,

HELP. I have so far concentrated on the simple "does it work?" tests.

Prparation for install started, GPS antenna installed. Frame for unit worked on and unit install in frame completed.

Wiring. Most are OK but there is a difference between the illustrated (in manual) and the actual wiring supplied.

As follows: ACTUAL

Orange/black marked "Ant CTL"
Orange marked "Key"
Brown marked "Back" presumed = reverse?
Blue not marked
Mauve marked "Ill"

According to the Manual illustration

Backlight control line is Orange = ILL
Automatic Antenna appears to be Mauve
Reverse control line appears to be Brown = Back as above
Steering Wheel Control Line 1 should be Pink
Steering Wheel Control Ine 2 should be White/Green

Do you know the Unit Plug PINOUT so I can identify the actual uses please?

Robson Rover Repair 31st May 2019 04:56

Mate I'm colour blind so I'm literally the last person tonask. I found no problems with it and this sounds different to mine. Mine was clearly marked on the Chinese loom and I just joined it to my block which was also clearly marked.

jpdoc 3rd June 2019 06:31

wiring loom issue

Hey Kwil, as regards the wiring confusion - I notice on the ebay post from the guys who sell the wiring loom :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-05-4-...item255f0f56f4

"This lead will not allow you to continue using the controls on your steering column, however we do supply the adaptors to connect your new unit to these controls. Please contact us for advice on the correct part for your vehicle."

Maybe worth contacting them about the pinouts? Just a thought . . .

KWIL 4th June 2019 18:18

Double Din adaptor fitted with plastic cheeks to fix unit with the 4 screws.

Bench testing completed using newly made up adaptor cables. Temporary aerial using 3 ft wire, many stations. OK. GPS functional.:}:}

Fitted to car.
Sound System OK. Internal sample audio playback OK :}
GPS OK:} GPS Aerial fitted at base of windscreen (flat on top of dash near centreline, cable around the base of screen tucked around, out of sight and taken below dash at base of LH "A "pillar)
Radio No signal. Just noise :mad:
MGR Radio used two cables, 1 normal ISO Connector and the 2 miniature (diversity) form aerial systemas fitted to car.

Hey Ho, now to find out why

Split or Bust 5th June 2019 09:33

Looks to be the same unit as Colin_NI has, model # SWM-9218, and is reduced on eBay at the moment, available for £51.98 and that appears to include the camera.

eBay double din stereo

eBay item number is163619209955

KWIL 5th June 2019 10:33

9218 is the same unit as I have, BUT it is different to Colin's because his has the SD card slot on the lower left side, these do not have such a slot AND no RDS.

Now on subject of Radio. Android unit works on bench with short wire aerial, original Symphony unit works in car, just checked. Install Android, no radio sound when when connected to car aerial, disconnect car aerial and insert same short piece of wire, sound reappears WHAT IS HAPPENING? or not as the case may be.

KWIL 5th June 2019 12:35

Problem probably sussed, the aerial amplifier needs closer attention. Watch this space.

Split or Bust 5th June 2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2738356)
9218 is the same unit as I have, BUT it is different to Colin's because his has the SD card slot on the lower left side, these do not have such a slot AND no RDS.

Apols, I had read that ages back and forgot when I wrote my post.

Bit of a pain no RDS and no SD card slot but can probably live without those for such a low price.

I've bought one so wil be interesting to see what arrives.

KWIL 6th June 2019 15:06

Well I am there at last, connection to power up aerial amplifier now made and stations galore. Now to learn all the touch screen controls and road test it all.

No pics I am afraid as I do not use any of the photo apps. Can email to any interested party though.

Dallas 6th June 2019 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2738690)
Well I am there at last, connection to power up aerial amplifier now made and stations galore. Now to learn all the touch screen controls and road test it all.

That is good news... ;)

Split or Bust 12th June 2019 16:54

3 Attachment(s)
The unit arrived today, box and instructions say 9218 and like KWIL’s it has the MIC and RST (reset) buttons in the top left corner and no SD card slot.

I plan to make 2 cut outs in the front of the fascia panel to slot in the 2 USB ports, to neaten it up and for easy access. Many thanks to Mike Trident who gave me the idea the other day in his post (#10382) with his 3.5mm audio socket

What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today - see post 10382

I’ve got the £14 Dynamic Sounds fascia trim, as mentioned by jpdoc in post #17, as opposed to the dearer & slightly larger opening MG7 fascia trim so will be attacking it with the Stanley knife soon

CT23RO01-Black-Double-Din-CD-Stereo-Fascia-Trim-For-Rover-75

GPS lead is 70” / 178cm long and I’m conscious of Colin’s comment on it being a bit short, makes you wonder why they didn’t round it up to 2m.

As for ISO leads etc, just need to work out what ones Willy currently has and see if I need any new ones.

Colin NI have you fitted the rear camera yet? Be great to know how you got on especially on placement & how you wired up for reverse.

Thanks to all for the helpful instructions, suggestions etc. Going to be the weekend at the earliest before I even start to look at installing so watch this space.

Robson Rover Repair 12th June 2019 17:33

Not yet. All plans are on hold as not has ran out and its need a bit of sill work done, and I'm not having a bodge job done so it's off to body shop for paint work also.

Split or Bust 15th June 2019 21:04

Pain in the.....

7 Attachment(s)
Rain put paid to some work in the garden so thought I'd get started on putting the new unit in Willy.

Slowly does it and out comes the Sony single din bluetooth unit. Looks at the connectors and at first sight they look the same, but in fact they are almost mirror images…aaarrrggghhh.

So looks like I’ll be cutting off the existing (Sony) connector and then use connector blocks to pair with the new unit connector. That probably explains why the new connector has open wires at the other end….

Some good news though looks like I may have a Connects2 steering wheel stalks control unit though can’t be sure which one it is as I can’t match the numbers/codes on the back of it to Connects2 website. I’ve dropped them an email to see what advice they can give.

And there I was thinking this was going to be a relatively simple instal….how wrong was I…hey ho...

KWIL 20th June 2019 14:15

1.7M GPS aerial lead is Not a problem.

Just returned from 800 mile round trip without problems. I placed the black unit in the centre of the dash close as possible to glass and routed the lead around base of screen to the passenger side at base of A pillar, removed A pillar cover and then routed cable inside dash as far as the centre console.

Only comment so far, screen brightness leaves a lot to be desired, light reflects from sandstone seating!

KWIL 20th June 2019 14:18

Split or Bust,

If your only connector problem is the pin locations, you can pop them out of the covers and reinsert.

janker 1st September 2019 14:55

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I purchased one of these units and fitted it and works fine im just trying get the rear camera working,I have connected it all up as in Dallas picture below except mine is a slightly different model.
But at the moment i have power to the rear camera when i select reverse and camera lights up ok,I have connected the red trigger wire at the back of the unit to the Brown wire labelled BACK on the Din unit and thought this would work when i select reverse but sadly no,Now im wondering if i need to connect the other wire labelled BRAKE coming from the small din plug adjoining the RCA cable to the two wires ive already connected to trigger the camera on screen,It says on the attached diagram it needs +12 volts,So was wondering if it would be possible to connect this wire to try.
I have enclosed the small wiring diagrams from the manual as Dallas has been helping me but is difficult to explain without seeing these.

janker 4th September 2019 18:20

Hi Everybody
All sorted Steering wheel controls now working,I had cut and connected the wrong wire after help from Dallas.
Also rear camera now working found the problem on mine was a tiny black wire that goes into Din unit connector was not making a contact on the small pins after testing with my meter,Managed to push it out with a pin and solder it properly,now all good to go.

Thankyou to everybody for all your help as i have been private messaging some of you guys much appreciated.

cheers julian

robeire 13th September 2019 12:25

me to

hi colin,

i got both of them and am in the middle of fitting them

seem ok for the price :}

some cutting required to fit head unit in ,
good thing no basket required for neeter job.

it buzzes when i turn on the lights ,
im sure i seen a remidy for this somewere
else on the fourm .

im in co.meath if you ever need anything down my way

let me know .

rob

KWIL 22nd January 2020 14:58

Sorry to report that after 7 months and only 4K miles, unit has given up. Just have a feint glow on screen and apps do not load. Seller un responsive. So I guess that I have to start again:mad:

Sjonnie 22nd January 2020 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2788305)
Sorry to report that after 7 months and only 4K miles, unit has given up. Just have a feint glow on screen and apps do not load. Seller un responsive. So I guess that I have to start again:mad:

On the bright side though: the unit cost little over £7 per month:D That's not too bad ;)

KWIL 6th February 2020 11:29

PITA. I need a working unit not a succssion of new toys.

Sjonnie 6th February 2020 16:11

Then be prepared to spend a bit more. Get an xTrons (or an Eonon if you can find it) if you need something that almost looks OEM. I have had a few in different cars and they always performed nicely. I have an xTrons in my ZT-T for about 1½ years and never even had to reset it.:D

You didn't really expect a unit not even 50 GBP would last long, did you? :shrug:

Robson Rover Repair 24th February 2020 23:58

Must have been the alternative unit being poor.

I've got 3 of my original style now and no problems with them, bar my original I accidentally deleted the GPS function and had to reinstall the software.