The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   It pays to keep a car well maintained! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312491)

Sebastienclement 21st April 2021 13:23

It pays to keep a car well maintained!

I bought my V6 Connie SE in late 2016, which was a very tidy, one owner car. It's been averaging about 5000 miles a year with me since, and I've had a rolling plan of preventative work completed over the last four and a half years. It's had:
  • Full exhaust system
  • Track rod ends
  • Top mounts
  • Full set of suspensions springs
  • Both lower suspension arms
  • Timing belts / waterpump / ancillaries
  • Thermostat
  • New ECU (no, it didn't get flooded, but it began causing a misfire!)
  • Various suspension bushes
  • Repalacement inlet manifold
  • New VIS motors
  • Full set of Goodyear EfficientGrip 2 tyres
  • Annual servicing (Oil, filters, antifreeze, gearbox fluid etc...)
  • Odds and sods such as aircon regas etc...

This car has been a labour of love, and the cost of purchasing the car + maintenance has come to in excess of £6000.

It's going to need some bodywork soon - both bumpers are a bit tatty (these had had poor fibreglass repairs completed previously and the nearside rear sill is looking a bit crusty, so I had parked the car up awaiting availability with Tom Hobbs for some bodywork.

Unexpectedly, I need the car urgently for a trip this coming weekend (my other car is in for some repairs which are taking longer than expected), so I stuck it in for an MOT today and.....

First time pass, no advisories :D Not bad for 20 years old!

edwardmk 21st April 2021 14:27

Well done Sebastien. You've clearly looked after the car. £6000 represents great value when you compare the cost of buying a new car now. All the motoring mags are trumpeting that the car 'holds it's value well and is still worth 50% of the purchase price at 3 years". £15k depreciation in three years for a modest family car and twice that for something interesting comparable to a V6 SE.:eek:
Well worth looking after the ones we've got.

FLYING BANANA 21st April 2021 15:11

Congratulations on the pass.

I’m frightened to look to see how much I have spent on The Flying Banana over the years.

Yorkshire GOC 21st April 2021 18:13

Same here with regard to beer - so i console myself the car is a good investment.:shrug:

bl52krz 21st April 2021 18:28

Well done that man.I used to smoke Senior Service 80 cigarettes a day. Add that up over around 15 years and you have a tidy sum. Forward to today’s prices for running a car. I would say that running my car is saving me money. Very little spent on repairs over a 13 years of ownership, plus it is not affecting my health or bank balance.Plus the enjoyment of owning one of the best cars ever built by any maker, and I am on a winner. Who wants a modern box on wheels.

BoroRover 22nd April 2021 16:27

Agreed, superb cars. Im proud to be a 75 owner

madeupname 22nd April 2021 17:53

great news. I've started to get Kim ready for hers in June, and just discovered the front offside spring has bust. So a bit more work before she'll be ready.
But well done you :}

The Rovering Member 22nd April 2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2877669)
Same here with regard to beer - so i console myself the car is a good investment.:shrug:

If l had all the money l've spent on drink, l'd spend it on drink. :wine:

trikey 22nd April 2021 21:42

Nice one Tim, glad the car is looking after you :D